What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Alliance of American Football League Thread*** FIRST GAME TONIGHT 8pm CBS (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22

Footballguy
AAF league selects Hackenberg, Tolzein and 30 others

I’m pretty sure I started a thread around 2013/a year or so after the NFL opened the door for a new league by creating the rookie salary cap. 

I still think that allows a rogue league to steal a handful of rookies to prop of the new league. The AAF can conceivable offer more than the NFL is allowed to offer under the rookie cap.

You don’t have to draft/steal every player but just a handful of top names. Maybe even just one elite player on each team and those players will dominate and it will be exciting to watch.

Mock me (again) if you will but I’m betting I have the last laugh in this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this on Twitter last night, first that I had heard about it. Very interested to see how this plays out.

Saw this on Twitter last night, first that I had heard about it. Very interested to see how this plays out.
Starts February 9th

This is why I’m even more excited:

The AAF, co-founded by television executive Charlie Ebersol and Pro Football Hall of Fame general manager Bill Polian, views itself as a spring league that can feed fan interest once the NFL season is over. Polian hired a series of high-profile former NFL coaches, including Steve Spurrier (Orlando Apollos), Mike Martz (San Diego), Brad Childress (Atlanta Legends) and Mike Singletary (Memphis).

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
And remember, this league hasn’t spent the last 30 years lying to its workforce about the dangers of football/concussions so they should be able to be more physical.

And remember, this league hasn’t spent the last 30 years lying to its workforce about the dangers of football/concussions     so the should be able to be more physical.
It'll be like those minor league wrestling circuits in the Midwest where anything goes for entertainment and guys sellout to hopefully catch an NFL GMs eye.

It'll be like those minor league wrestling circuits in the Midwest where anything goes for entertainment and guys sellout to hopefully catch an NFL GMs eye.
You might be right but there’s a chance this can become more. Just remember, this league isn’t bound by by the same rules as the NFL. Hypothetically their players don’t need to stay in school X amount of years and there’s no cap.

They’ve previously said no felons I believe, which rules out Johnny Football who would be perfect for a league like this.

If you can offer more than the NFL is allowed for just a couple of guys to be figureheads of the league you can really make some excitement. 

Think of our old APF2K8 days- Again, all predicated on them stealing a few stars in the draft - and you will have 6-10 glaringly more talented players which will run and pass roughshod over the rest of the regular joes and it will be exciting. 

Admittedly it’s a long shot and the NFL will make thinks difficult for them but I strongly believe this is going to work.

I wont mock you, but despite the rookie scale I'm not sure this new league is going to be able to pay a star player more than the NFL can. The #1 pick in 2017 got a $30MM+ contract and the 32nd pick got a $9MM contract (4 year deals with a 5th year option that pays considerably more annually).

What do you think the Memphis Express are offering their first round pick?

If you can offer more than the NFL is allowed for just a couple of guys to be figureheads of the league ...
Doc Oc's point is a good one -- what are the financial underpinnings of the league?

NFL salaries aren't as high as they are because deep-pocket owners willfully shell out portions of their personal fortunes. TV money drives NFL salaries, with merchandising, stadium revenue, and gate receipts chipping in a few percent. What is this new league's TV deal worth compared to the NFL's? That will determine what the AAFL can pay rookies in a sustainable financial model -- not merely the absence of a salary cap.

See also the World Football League of the 1970s. They promised big salaries and got a few NFL names to jump ship. But WFL revenues weren't even close to keeping apace, and the league folded in it's second season.

Doc Oc's point is a good one -- what are the financial underpinnings of the league?

NFL salaries aren't as high as they are because deep-pocket owners willfully shell out portions of their personal fortunes. TV money drives NFL salaries, with merchandising, stadium revenue, and gate receipts chipping in a few percent. What is this new league's TV deal worth compared to the NFL's? That will determine what the AAFL can pay rookies in a sustainable financial model -- not merely the absence of a salary cap.

See also the World Football League of the 1970s. They promised big salaries and got a few NFL names to jump ship. But WFL revenues weren't even close to keeping apace, and the league folded in it's second season.
All good points but I think the USFL is a better example of what this league can become. The USFL would have likely survived in Trump didn’t botch the whole thing by moving games to the fall.

3 year 250k contracts

Looks like they will have to walk before they run.
I don't think this league is necessarily trying to compete with the NFL - I think it's smartly looking to be a feeder/developmental league for the NFL. It's the NCAA that should be fearful of this league as you pointed out they have no rule on how many years a player must play in college before signing so they could start taking away star college players that wish to make some money before jumping to the NFL. It's a long way to go even for that though - as of now Alabama and Ohio State give a player more exposure the Atlanta Legends will.

All good points but I think the USFL is a better example of what this league can become. The USFL would have likely survived in Trump didn’t botch the whole thing by moving games to the fall.
The USFL was pretty much the WFL's error repeated. The proposed move to the fall didn't sink the league -- that was a desperation move after the USFL had taken on too much water to stay afloat.

Trump wasn't involved initially in ruining the viability of the USFL. The NJ General's original owner, J. Walter Duncan, broke the league's salary cap by signing Herschel Walker to a personal-services contract that by itself was over double the per-team cap. Trump exacerbated the issue when he bought the team in 1984, however, signing several players away from the NFL that year and Doug Flutie for the 1985 season.

I don't think this league is necessarily trying to compete with the NFL - I think it's smartly looking to be a feeder/developmental league for the NFL. It's the NCAA that should be fearful of this league as you pointed out they have no rule on how many years a player must play in college before signing so they could start taking away star college players that wish to make some money before jumping to the NFL. It's a long way to go even for that though - as of now Alabama and Ohio State give a player more exposure the Atlanta Legends will.
NCAA programs outside of the top 10 football factories would be very glad to see the NFL running its own development league and leaving us to play college sports.

NCAA programs outside of the top 10 football factories would be very glad to see the NFL running its own development league and leaving us to play college sports.
I agree with the sentiment. I think the "one and done" rule has ruined college basketball and I'm starting to prefer watching the smaller conferences like the A-10 and MAC better than the majors.

Those top 10 football factories are what makes the NCAA money though (and that's all the NCAA really cares about)  - of course I don't really expect this new league to bring down college football though.

Starts February 9th

This is why I’m even more excited:

The AAF, co-founded by television executive Charlie Ebersol and Pro Football Hall of Fame general manager Bill Polian, views itself as a spring league that can feed fan interest once the NFL season is over. Polian hired a series of high-profile former NFL coaches, including Steve Spurrier (Orlando Apollos), Mike Martz (San Diego), Brad Childress (Atlanta Legends) and Mike Singletary (Memphis).
Really interesting -- I see other NFL guys being pulled into both team and league leadership positions like Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward, Jared Allen, Mike Vick, Justin Tuck, Dre Bly, and many more.

At the very least seems to give some modicum of legitimacy, if only via name brands.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
AAF league selects Hackenberg, Tolzein and 30 others

I’m pretty sure I started a thread y’arpu d 2013 a year or so after the NFL opened the door for a new league by creating the rookie salary cap. 

I still think that allows a rogue league to steal a handful of rookies to prop of the new league. The AAF can conceivable offer more than the NFL is allowed to offer under the rookie cap.

You don’t have to draft/steal every player but just a handful of top names. Maybe even just one elite player on each team and those players will dominate and it will be exciting to watch.

The XFL is starting up in a year after that. Vince McMahon isn't using anything special with the league either that includes WWE stuff other then possible commercial here and there promoting the WWE in someway. This AAF is gonna have direct competition too. STL is apparently getting a team as well. It should get interesting but the AAF will have 1 year under it's belt when the XFL comes back. I like it though. I was one of those idiots who always like watching NFL Europe though. I'm all for spring ball but it needs some work IMHO. They'll have a lot to compete with from NBA/NHL playoffs, baseball season, MLS, Arena Football going on as well. Maybe they think they can take some fans from the AFL and MLS though

The XFL is starting up in a year after that. Vince McMahon isn't using anything special with the league either that includes WWE stuff other then possible commercial here and there promoting the WWE in someway. This AAF is gonna have direct competition too. STL is apparently getting a team as well. It should get interesting but the AAF will have 1 year under it's belt when the XFL comes back. I like it though. I was one of those idiots who always like watching NFL Europe though. I'm all for spring ball but it needs some work IMHO. They'll have a lot to compete with from NBA/NHL playoffs, baseball season, MLS, Arena Football going on as well. Maybe they think they can take some fans from the AFL and MLS though
So I forgot about the XFL (2) so when I googled it I found yet another startup league led by formers players marquis Ogden and Golic 

ETA - It seems google isn’t finding much on the patriot football league but this article mentions it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news-journalonline.com/sports/20181009/daytona-getting-team-in-new-pro-football-league%3ftemplate=ampart

Over 500 players signed to the AAF

Article is from October 18 and has all the rosters (pre draft obviously) 

A quick look through a few of them and I saw the kicker Novak and I saw Trent Richardson
Bishop Sankey, Zac Stacy, Daryl Richardson... saw a few other UDFA’s from this year I had seeded in the back of my mind if they ever made NFL rosters. Could be interesting if it becomes a viable developmental league. Seems they’re trying to go about it the right way. 

Doug B said:
The USFL was pretty much the WFL's error repeated. The proposed move to the fall didn't sink the league -- that was a desperation move after the USFL had taken on too much water to stay afloat.

Trump wasn't involved initially in ruining the viability of the USFL. The NJ General's original owner, J. Walter Duncan, broke the league's salary cap by signing Herschel Walker to a personal-services contract that by itself was over double the per-team cap. Trump exacerbated the issue when he bought the team in 1984, however, signing several players away from the NFL that year and Doug Flutie for the 1985 season.
Trump was upset Rosell the NFL Commissioner didn't allow him to own an NFL team. In Jeff Pearlman's new book The Useless about the USFL and Trump and the demise the owners in the NFL thought Trump was a fast talking business conman from NY who was a scumbag huckster. Trump tried to go after the NFL anyway he could. He bullied the other owners into agreeing to his deals including the league paying Doug Flutie to be on Trump's NJ General's. Trump used the same tactics to bully his way into what he wanted the same way he does running the White House today. When the league folded Trump got the owners of the USFL to agree to  Sue the nFL because he talked them into that they could win the case. They lost big time and according to you speak to the money Trump won the league varies but most Football historians who followed both leagues said it was a measly $1 Trump won the USFL. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
All good points but I think the USFL is a better example of what this league can become. The USFL would have likely survived in Trump didn’t botch the whole thing WITH HIS BIG WOUNDED EGO by moving games to the fall.
There fixed it for yeah. Trump wanted to battle the NFL after they wouldn't allow him to own an NFL TEAM. I don't want to get into a too political debate here but most political historians say Trumps recent attack on the NFL is still do to the fact his ego still being wounded by the NFL over the past 30 plus yrs. 

Bishop Sankey, Zac Stacy, Daryl Richardson... saw a few other UDFA’s from this year I had seeded in the back of my mind if they ever made NFL rosters. Could be interesting if it becomes a viable developmental league. Seems they’re trying to go about it the right way. 
A few guys I saw UPENN's Alex Torgerson QB, LB Carl Bradford, Stephen Hill WR G Tech, DB Chris Davis Auburn (Guy who ran the missed FG back vs Mama), Stephen Garcia Spurriers guy from SCAR, Former Eagle Jacorey Shepherd, Former Titan Antonio Andrews, Kenny Hillard former LSU RB, Zach Mettenburger, Hersey Walton DT Temple, Jonathan Wynn, Josh Evans DB UF, Drew Ferris former LS for UF, Andrew Franks K, Ladarius Gunter The U, Frankie Hammond WR UF, Will Hill S UF, Mark Herdon RB UF, Jalin Marshall WR OSU, Earl Okine DE Leon Orr and Ronald Powell all UF guys, Joseph Putu UF, Fred Taylors son Kevin Taylor, Former Eagle Matt Asiatti, TE Anthony Denham, Garret Grayson CSU, Jeremy Poutasi T, Austin Appleby QB Purdue, Kyrih Robinson Former NO RB. 

Some blasts from the past in there. 

More football is good.  I’ll watch.

Interesting differences:

-No kickoffs (start at own 25)

-No onside kicks (get the ball on own 35 and must get 10 yards on the first play to keep the ball, or turn it over) - I would change this to 15 yards, as it would make more sense to have to penetrate into opposing territory in one play in order to keep the ball, also prevents it from being used too often by good offenses.

-No extra points (must go for 2)

-30-second playclock

-No TV timeouts

-No ties (overtime/tiebreaker rules not explained)

-Only one foot inbounds is required on receptions

Inaugural, weekly and playoff televised games will be on CBS.  Mobile app supposedly will stream all live games and supposedly will have integrated fantasy games.

-No onside kicks (get the ball on own 35 and must get 10 yards on the first play to keep the ball, or turn it over) - I would change this to 15 yards, as it would make more sense to have to penetrate into opposing territory in one play in order to keep the ball, also prevents it from being used too often by good offenses.
Can’t see anyone going for this, honestly.

If you are confident in your ability to gain 10 yards in a single play, just take the regular start at the 25 and run that play.  Succeed and it’s just like getting this “onside kick” but with all 4 downs.  Fail, and you get 3 more tries.

Maybe if there are under 10 seconds and the QB can’t throw a hail mary far enough to reach the end zone without the 10 extra yards...otherwise, no.

If you are confident in your ability to gain 10 yards in a single play, just take the regular start at the 25 and run that play.  Succeed and it’s just like getting this “onside kick” but with all 4 downs.  Fail, and you get 3 more tries.

Maybe if there are under 10 seconds and the QB can’t throw a hail mary far enough to reach the end zone without the 10 extra yards...otherwise, no.
But the other team would be getting the ball, not the team going for the "onside kick".

They just need to utilize the XFL scramble for “onside” situations.

:lmao:

I loved that.  Always thought it was stupid to get rid of it just because someone got hurt.  If we got rid of every play on which people might get hurt...

Or will that be what the NFL looks like 10 years from now?
Literally the best part about the entire league.

Yeah that’s the real possibility. Problem is people wouldn’t have any interest in college ball if they weren’t cheering for their school. 

The biggest competition for this should be NCAA. Why would a high profile HS athlete go play for free in college when he can gain some good experience playing for this league and get paid for it? of course its risky as you dont get an education, but many of thes guys are leaving college before getting a degree anyways. Why not make a few bucks before going to the NFL? 

Its interesting and I think it could definitely offer some better game play than what college offers 

The biggest competition for this should be NCAA. Why would a high profile HS athlete go play for free in college when he can gain some good experience playing for this league and get paid for it? of course its risky as you dont get an education, but many of thes guys are leaving college before getting a degree anyways. Why not make a few bucks before going to the NFL? 

Its interesting and I think it could definitely offer some better game play than what college offers 
Because he's not playing for free in college 

don't forget the great Stephen Hill.

Aaron Murray, Denard Robinson, Matt Simms, Brad Wing, Matt Asiata, Ron Brooks, Gavin Escobar among the vaguely interesting names, as well as some other high profile college QBs and FF lottery ticket RB darlings.

Also Eagles secondary washouts Ed Reynolds and JaCorey Shepherd.

I'm kind of intrigued on a personal level, one of my best friends is the D line coach under Spurrier for the Orlando team. Who knows what it will do, but at least I'll be able to talk to him about it weekly to get some insight on the response of it. Either way, I agree that more football is a good thing. 😁

Anyone have any idea if fantasy is going to be offered somewhere? Trying to form something with half my home league to kill spring boredom. Can’t wait for Trent Richardson to screw me one last time.

Anyone have any idea if fantasy is going to be offered somewhere? Trying to form something with half my home league to kill spring boredom. Can’t wait for Trent Richardson to screw me one last time.
Someone in here firing something up?

Users who are viewing this thread