What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for advice on startup dynasty league rules, payouts, transactions handle? (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
So here's the gist. Buddy of mine wants to start a dynasty league with his co worker (Mostly co workers idea) would be most of the people in their league already plus me. I'm already hesitant as I'm on a friendly term with his co worker but that guys is a bit of an ####### (Still owes me money from the draft in Philly we went too and is known for taking advantage of people including my friend. He was thinking of a league buy in with $50 and $5 per trade and $1 per waiver after initial draft to start the year. Expenses would go towards 2nd and 1st place and trophy plus league owner get togethers (Most of the owners are in the area so public meets can happen) and trophy/belt. There will also be a PS not sure of roster sizes as this is in the infancy stages. after the 1st year they were thinking of implementing a salary cap of some kind 

I guess m question is for a league with so many moving parts per year and most people making moves it could cost someone upwards to 150 or more depending how aggressive of an owner they are. I think for the guys in the league some, I kind of know that could be a little too much. They already have one league that's $25 buy in 10 team league but that would turn into the dynasty league 12 teams. Does anyone have any recommendations  on how to start this league up, roster sizes, currency on transactions (Real money or is it better to do virtual currency each team only able to spend x amount?), When do you usually draft (Rookies, and first league start up), any other advice. 

My biggest concern here is I think both are in over their heads on this. I'm no expert but just from being on here and seeing some of the leagues and all I think I know a bit more then they do. Right now I'm looking for suggestions. I may or may not be apart of this league. I like the idea, cost not so much and the two guys attempting to run it I think it'd be better if we get people together vote on a cost and then vote on a commissioner. So any suggestions would be great

Last edited by a moderator:
I would run away from this as fast as possible.  There are so many basic framework questions unsettled and potential distrust of the guy who may be commish or have significant influence.  And the idea of changing any framework a year later with a future salary cap or other changes is baffling to me.  In dynasty, I'm drafting/trading players indefinitely so I want the structure to be predictable into the future.  Personally, I also hate transactional fees (real currency) because it can inhibit trading which is vital to a league's long term viability.

Now, if you want to chat about starting a dynasty league yourself and the pros/cons of certain structures and rules, I'd be happy to share my experience.  Before you do that, my best suggestion is understand what you like/dislike so you build accordingly.  If you don't yet have a lot of experience to know, join some internet based leagues with different formats and see what works best for you.  Once rookie fever starts building, new leagues will start more frequently and league openings will be posted here (I also use DLF).  A lot of these leagues will be free or low cost if you're patient.

Good luck!

I would run away from this as fast as possible.  There are so many basic framework questions unsettled and potential distrust of the guy who may be commish or have significant influence.  And the idea of changing any framework a year later with a future salary cap or other changes is baffling to me.  In dynasty, I'm drafting/trading players indefinitely so I want the structure to be predictable into the future.  Personally, I also hate transactional fees (real currency) because it can inhibit trading which is vital to a league's long term viability.

Now, if you want to chat about starting a dynasty league yourself and the pros/cons of certain structures and rules, I'd be happy to share my experience.  Before you do that, my best suggestion is understand what you like/dislike so you build accordingly.  If you don't yet have a lot of experience to know, join some internet based leagues with different formats and see what works best for you.  Once rookie fever starts building, new leagues will start more frequently and league openings will be posted here (I also use DLF).  A lot of these leagues will be free or low cost if you're patient.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice and yes I was leaning against this league for many of those reasons anyway. I do want to help my buddy out. The basics of the league is they want full rosters with a practice squad and yearly rookie draft. THey've played with IDP and DEF/ST. So I guess I would want to know a blue print of that. Along of the advantages and disadvantages of a Cap, waiver wire auction non auction etc. I myself am interested in possible joining a league like this at some point though. I do like PPR scoring format, always intrigued with certain players getting pos for KR/PR yards, Total Yards given up defensively. I'd like something for an all year round purpose. I guess my hope is to get into a fairly simple league. I'm autistic (Aspergers but on a very high functioning level) so I'd definitely want a league where the rules are right in front of me. 

I'm meeting my buddy today for drinks as we haven't seen each other in awhile but like I said I feel these two are In over their heads. Maybe giving him some ideas of what it really Is about could dissuade him from something else negatively happening here. The problem is he's very thick headed. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Good luck!

So we talked to his buddy on the phone last night. They already got their keeper league but seems next year the dynasty thing is mostly a experimental league. If they don't like it they go back to their keeper league. 

Users who are viewing this thread