What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zyphros' Rankings (Updated 2/11) (1 Viewer)

Chubb is more than capable of being a good receiving RB, but he isn't special in that area.  Most of the RB's ahead of him on this list are.  Out of the ones you mentioned, Hunt and Mixon are special pass catchers.  Melvin is very good and Connor is again capable.  I just have more faith in an organization not named the Browns to utilize their RB's more effectively.  Chubb is still a stud RB but being special in the pass catching role is what puts other's ahead of him.  I actually believe this might be 1 spot too high for Chubb mostly due to Guice also being special as a pass catcher, but we haven't seen him much in the NFL yet so Chubb takes the tie breaker I had between them.  

I actually noticed that the other day of my bias towards the Browns.  I have Houston's defense in one league and I was scratching my head why I picked them up and then I saw their week 13 matchup at Cleveland.  Then the next thought that crossed my mind was "wait, Cleveland actually isn't bad anymore".  Old habits die hard I guess.  
I know anecdotal evidence is generally worthless, but this is a pretty special catch. I'm not saying he's a special pass catcher, but I think he just might be better than most people are giving him credit for.

Also, Gurley isn't a special pass catcher and it isn't holding him back.

WR time

(19) DJ Moore

Took him in one rookie draft, but wish I had drafted him in more. I wouldn't pay more than WR2 prices in dynasty, but he has a chance to be very good.

Overall, the dynasty WR landscape looks a little barren to me outside of the obvious high-end guys. You could mine that second tier rookie group of Sutton/Gallup/Kirk looking for a breakout, but those guys won't come cheap since their rookie draft buyers are probably already believers.

The value may come in the form of next year's rookie class, as there will surely be some decent talent mixed in there.

I know anecdotal evidence is generally worthless, but this is a pretty special catch. I'm not saying he's a special pass catcher, but I think he just might be better than most people are giving him credit for.

Also, Gurley isn't a special pass catcher and it isn't holding him back.
I'd call Chubb an above average pass catcher, and I'd disagree with you with Gurley saying he is special.  McCaffrey, Saquon, Gurley, DJ, Lev Bell, Mixon I'd say are the only workhorse ones I'd call special in that area.  I don't include Kamara because he isn't really a workhorse, at least yet, but he's special in that area as well.  

Dr. Octopus said:
How is it even remotely true that Cooks and Lockett are the same (and I do like Lockett)? Cooks will have four straight years of over 1,000 yards (with 3 of the 4 over 1,100), with 27+ TDs in those four seasons. And he's still 25 years old.

I've said this numerous times on this board but it never ceases to amaze me how under-rated Cooks is.
Same guy being they do the same things.  Maybe a discount version of Cooks is a better way of saying it but they're virtually the same player in style and ability.  Lockett is on a less prolific offense so his numbers obviously won't match up to Cooks, but Cooks has done it on multiple teams as well.  He's safe, but he doesn't have weeks he single handily wins you weeks.  He'll either get you 100 yards, 6+ catches, or a TD plus one of those.  Not bad at all.  Safe isn't bad, but their roles generally don't expand and they're possibly replaceable with up and comer talents.  

I'd call Chubb an above average pass catcher, and I'd disagree with you with Gurley saying he is special.  McCaffrey, Saquon, Gurley, DJ, Lev Bell, Mixon I'd say are the only workhorse ones I'd call special in that area.  I don't include Kamara because he isn't really a workhorse, at least yet, but he's special in that area as well.  

Same guy being they do the same things.  Maybe a discount version of Cooks is a better way of saying it but they're virtually the same player in style and ability.  Lockett is on a less prolific offense so his numbers obviously won't match up to Cooks, but Cooks has done it on multiple teams as well.  He's safe, but he doesn't have weeks he single handily wins you weeks.  He'll either get you 100 yards, 6+ catches, or a TD plus one of those.  Not bad at all.  Safe isn't bad, but their roles generally don't expand and they're possibly replaceable with up and comer talents.  
You really think Gurley is a special pass catcher? I've never heard anyone say that before. He's in a special system and gets plenty of volume in the passing game, but as a route runner or catcher there's nothing that stands out about him.

As for Cooks and Lockett, it sure would be interesting to have seen Lockett with Brees. With just 62 targets this year, Lockett has been about as impressive as a player could be.

People seem way to low on Bell
Hard to ignore that Conner's stats indicate the system propped up Bell's stats. If he ends up on the Jets next year, I don't think I'll be reaching for Bell in redrafts or trading for him in dynasty.

No Dante pettis?
Strange omission. Anything could happen in the offseason with the 49ers, but if they don't add a big name via free agency (not that there is one) or draft one in the 1st round, Pettis (23.1) seems like a lock to be the WR1 for Shanahan's 3rd season with the 49ers. Garcon will be 33. Goodwin has flashed a couple times, but he'll be turning 29 next season and is likely nothing more than a 5'9" burner. That leaves Kittle and Pettis as JG's primary targets. 

I'm not sure if he belongs in tier 4 or 5, but I like him better than all the current rookies outside of DJ Moore. Of Zyphros' tier 4 guys, I'd take him over: Golladay (25.1), Alshon (28.8), and Boyd (24.1). And situation might make him want to take him over Robinson (25.3) and Godwin (22.8), too. If Kupp (25.5) & Woods (26.7) weren't on the Rams, I'd take Pettis over them. I'd take him over all the tier 5 guys.

I'm sorry, but this just seems like you're making things up to justify a ranking. Obviously I'm not saying your wrong in your ranking, because you're rankings are your rankings - but the "logic" seems very contrived at best.

You think Cooks has a chance to be replaced - by who? They are paying Cooks very well so I don't see a major free agent coming in (especially since they already have depth), and any rookie WR coming into the league likely has a pretty slim chance to come close to doing what Cooks has done in his five seasons.

As for Cooks and Lockett, it sure would be interesting to have seen Lockett with Brees. With just 62 targets this year, Lockett has been about as impressive as a player could be.
Lockett's biggest enemy hasn't been his QB (Wilson is pretty good) it's been himself - he's had a tough time staying healthy. I'm not an "injury prone" guy so it's likely just been bad luck - but I don't think playing with Brees, a Brady whose deep ball has failed him and Goff is such an advantage over playing with Wilson (although I will admit Cooks played in better volume passing offenses).

I guess I could buy that both players have similar styles, but I see Cooks as the better WR - and the context was more about their dynasty rankings.

Lockett's biggest enemy hasn't been his QB (Wilson is pretty good) it's been himself - he's had a tough time staying healthy. I'm not an "injury prone" guy so it's likely just been bad luck - but I don't think playing with Brees, a Brady whose deep ball has failed him and Goff is such an advantage over playing with Wilson (although I will admit Cooks played in better volume passing offenses).

I guess I could buy that both players have similar styles, but I see Cooks as the better WR - and the context was more about their dynasty rankings.
I don't disagree. Health has clearly been his biggest problem, but volume will almost certainly always be a problem for him in Seattle. Aside from the year he was hurt, he's always done well with the targets he's gotten. That's why I say it would've been interesting to see how he did with Brees. I'd love to see him get 120 Brees targets.

While I do think Cooks is an excellent player, I think situation and volume often get conflated with talent. Cooks excels in some areas, but he's also got a couple holes in his game (contested catches being the biggest - an area where Lockett is better). McVay has done a good job working around those things. IMO, Cooks' most impressive season was the one with Brady since Brady is no longer much of a deep ball passer. 

But situation is part of dynasty rankings and both players just signed extensions with their current teams, so I'd have Cooks much higher than Lockett (which he does). If you remove Cooks' injury game, he's on a 16 game pace of 88/1397/4. I'd feel comfortable projecting him for 80/1250/6 annually while on the Rams. Lockett has certainly made a case this year for more targets next year, but I'd have a hard time projecting him for more than 65/1000/6 in the coming years.

You're right that Cooks is too low, though. I don't understand why he'd be in a different tier than Hilton. They're basically the same player for fantasy purposes and Cooks is 4 years younger.

Strange omission. Anything could happen in the offseason with the 49ers, but if they don't add a big name via free agency (not that there is one) or draft one in the 1st round, Pettis (23.1) seems like a lock to be the WR1 for Shanahan's 3rd season with the 49ers. Garcon will be 33. Goodwin has flashed a couple times, but he'll be turning 29 next season and is likely nothing more than a 5'9" burner. That leaves Kittle and Pettis as JG's primary targets. 

I'm not sure if he belongs in tier 4 or 5, but I like him better than all the current rookies outside of DJ Moore. Of Zyphros' tier 4 guys, I'd take him over: Golladay (25.1), Alshon (28.8), and Boyd (24.1). And situation might make him want to take him over Robinson (25.3) and Godwin (22.8), too. If Kupp (25.5) & Woods (26.7) weren't on the Rams, I'd take Pettis over them. I'd take him over all the tier 5 guys.
Agree with all of your points except golladay.....

Agree with all of your points except golladay.....
Small sample size, but Pettis and Golladay have been the default WR1 for their teams for four weeks now. Pettis is catching passes from Nick Mullins and Golladay from Matt Stafford:

Pettis - 27 targets, 16 rec, 267 yards, 4 TD
Golladay - 34 targets, 18 rec, 258 yards, 1 TD

Not bad numbers for either guy, but Marvin Jones is much more likely to return next year than Pierre Garcon. Also, Pettis is 2 years younger than Golladay so he's got more room to grow. Finally, Detroit can't seem to get a good offensive play caller. While Shanahan has his faults, his offense with Garoppolo is probably going to be more prolific than whoever they pair with Stafford even if Stafford is the better QB.

I'm sorry, but this just seems like you're making things up to justify a ranking. Obviously I'm not saying your wrong in your ranking, because you're rankings are your rankings - but the "logic" seems very contrived at best.

You think Cooks has a chance to be replaced - by who? They are paying Cooks very well so I don't see a major free agent coming in (especially since they already have depth), and any rookie WR coming into the league likely has a pretty slim chance to come close to doing what Cooks has done in his five seasons.
I think he’s talking about replaceable in fantasy lineups, not on their real teams.

I think he’s talking about replaceable in fantasy lineups, not on their real teams.
Maybe, it's not really clear but I would disagree either way - with the caveat that in fantasy you could theorectically say that about any player I guess.

Since the QB discussion died down a bit and we are at the weekend here's the RB rankings. 

It's easiest to just keep Kareem Hunt where I had him instead of moving him because so much is uncertain there, I definitely think he gets another chance because at least to me the biggest reason he was released was because he lied to them and less about the incident.  And I just honestly wouldn't quite know where I would want him ranked after all of that.  Same goes for Ware who might be my biggest omission right now.  I know very little about him so I left him off completely for now.  

The ranks are based on 1/2 ppr

Tier 1 - (1) Saquon Barkley, (2) Todd Gurley, (3) Ezekiel Elliott

Tier 2 - (4) Alvin Kamara, (5) Kareem Hunt, (6) Christian McCaffrey, (7) James Connor, (8) Joe Mixon, (9) Melvin Gordon, (10) Nick Chubb, (11) Derrius Guice

Tier 3 - (12) David Johnson, (13) Le'Veon Bell, (14) Leonard Fournette, (15) Kerryon Johnson, (16) Aaron Jones, (17) Sony Michel

Tier 4 - (18) Rashaad Penny, (19) Dalvin Cook, (20) Phillip Lindsey, (21) Marlon Mack, (22) Tevin Coleman, (23) Jerrick McKinnon

Tier 5 - (24) Royce Freeman, (25) Matt Breida, (26) Josh Adams, (27) Devonte Freeman, (28) Kenyan Drake, (29) Tarik Cohen, (30) Mark Ingram, (31) TJ Yeldon

Tier 6 - (32) Chris Carson, (33) D'Onte Foreman, (34) Jordan Howard, (35) Derrick Henry, (36) Jay Ajayi

Tier 7 - (37) Lamar Miller, (38) James White, (39) Dion Lewis, (40) Duke Johnson, (41) LeSean McCoy, (42) Austin Ekeler, (43) Nyheim Hines, (44) Giovanni Bernard

Tier 8 - (45) Isaiah Crowell, (46) Ronald Jones, (47) Chris Warren III, (48) Mike Boone, (49) Ito Smith, (50) Elijah McGuire, (51) Alex Collins, (52) Gus Edwards

Tier 9 - (53) Kalen Ballage, (54) Chase Edmunds, (55) John Kelly
I see a couple of holes in the list. There are no current KC Chiefs, Spencer Ware should be on there in tier 4 or 5, Damien Williams tier 7 and Darrel Williams tier 9. Probably at least 2 of these guys will be back next year. I would move Kareem down a few rounds since he likely won't do anything in 2019.

CMC could be tier 1, and Lindsey could be tier 3.

You really think Gurley is a special pass catcher? I've never heard anyone say that before. He's in a special system and gets plenty of volume in the passing game, but as a route runner or catcher there's nothing that stands out about him.

Hard to ignore that Conner's stats indicate the system propped up Bell's stats. If he ends up on the Jets next year, I don't think I'll be reaching for Bell in redrafts or trading for him in dynasty.
I have watched Bell. I have watched Conner. They are not the same guy just because their stats are similar. I have zero fear of Bell being awesome wherever he goes. 

Small sample size, but Pettis and Golladay have been the default WR1 for their teams for four weeks now. Pettis is catching passes from Nick Mullins and Golladay from Matt Stafford:

Pettis - 27 targets, 16 rec, 267 yards, 4 TD
Golladay - 34 targets, 18 rec, 258 yards, 1 TD

Not bad numbers for either guy, but Marvin Jones is much more likely to return next year than Pierre Garcon. Also, Pettis is 2 years younger than Golladay so he's got more room to grow. Finally, Detroit can't seem to get a good offensive play caller. While Shanahan has his faults, his offense with Garoppolo is probably going to be more prolific than whoever they pair with Stafford even if Stafford is the better QB.
I like both but personally I think golladay ceiling is higher...

I have watched Bell. I have watched Conner. They are not the same guy just because their stats are similar. I have zero fear of Bell being awesome wherever he goes. 
I agree Bell is better, but was mainly pointing out why his value has dropped. 

I don't think he's a zero risk guy, though. I'm sure there are several situations he could land in where I would not want to pay his likely high price in 2019.

I agree Bell is better, but was mainly pointing out why his value has dropped. 

I don't think he's a zero risk guy, though. I'm sure there are several situations he could land in where I would not want to pay his likely high price in 2019.
Okay me saying zero fear was an over step. If he winds up on the Jets. That will be worse than in Pitt but I do still believe in his talent winning out. He would be the entire offense on most teams and heavily involved in the passing game. He could wind up in Indy too. In my opinion, he’s tier one in a good spot for the next 3 years and tier 2 in a lesser spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay me saying zero fear was an over step. If he winds up on the Jets. That will be worse than in Pitt but I do still believe in his talent winning out. He would be the entire offense on most teams and heavily involved in the passing game. He could wind up in Indy too.
Indy would be enticing. And as much as the Jets would scare me right now, it's not impossible that Darnold takes a big step year 2 and maybe they improve OL/WR. But I couldn't see taking him over the likes of Chubb or Guice. 

I see a couple of holes in the list. There are no current KC Chiefs, Spencer Ware should be on there in tier 4 or 5, Damien Williams tier 7 and Darrel Williams tier 9. Probably at least 2 of these guys will be back next year.
Ware is a free agent in 2019 and while I'm not sure he'll be in high demand around the league I'm also not sure the Chiefs will be all that anxious to bring him back. Damien Williams is a decent back but I don't see any team feeling great about him being their starting back and who knows on UDFA Darrel Williams. Personally I think there's a better than 50% chance that the starting RB for the Chiefs in 2019 is not on their current roster.

While the 2019 draft class isn't considered strong right now, Reid may find some one he likes to fit his system or I could see a guy like TJ Yeldon being a cheaper veteran free agent target perhaps to work a committee with a rookie or one of the backs on their current roster.

Ware is a free agent in 2019 and while I'm not sure he'll be in high demand around the league I'm also not sure the Chiefs will be all that anxious to bring him back. Damien Williams is a decent back but I don't see any team feeling great about him being their starting back and who knows on UDFA Darrel Williams. Personally I think there's a better than 50% chance that the starting RB for the Chiefs in 2019 is not on their current roster.

While the 2019 draft class isn't considered strong right now, Reid may find some one he likes to fit his system or I could see a guy like TJ Yeldon being a cheaper veteran free agent target perhaps to work a committee with a rookie or one of the backs on their current roster.
I really doubt that they don't bring back one or two of the current guys. He won't want to start from scratch.

I really doubt that they don't bring back one or two of the current guys. He won't want to start from scratch.
I didn't say none of the three will be back - I said I there's a better than average chance next year's starter is not on the current roster imo. Obviously it's possible Ware re-signs and keeps his job or Darrell Williams slots in (I do believe they like him) but it's also possible they draft or sign a free agent that steps into the starting role. My guess is the later situation plays out. That doesn't mean Ware, Williams and Williams have no dynasty value (I roster one of the Williams in every dynasty league I'm in - and even Charcandrick West in one) but they are end of rosters stashes imo and by the start of next season could be back on the waiver wire.

You're right that Cooks is too low, though. I don't understand why he'd be in a different tier than Hilton. They're basically the same player for fantasy purposes and Cooks is 4 years younger.
Hilton has had weeks where he has single handily won your week for you and his targets are more secure than Cooks' I think.  I didn't look into target data but you just compare the players around each and obviously the Rams are winning in that.  That usually means it's more spread out, which is one reason I have 3 Rams WR's so close together.  But I put Hilton higher because he's guaranteed his targets, and it's possibly for him to outright win you that weeks matchup.  Cooks isn't going to do that for you.  

I think the only Rams I feel confident in are Gurley and Kupp and those are the highest of all Rams players I have ranked so maybe my bias against the others is there.  Not a big Goff fan, Woods is probably underappreciated just like Cooks is in the fantasy community, but the reality is this is where I feel comfortable having them ranked.  

I see a couple of holes in the list. There are no current KC Chiefs, Spencer Ware should be on there in tier 4 or 5, Damien Williams tier 7 and Darrel Williams tier 9. Probably at least 2 of these guys will be back next year. I would move Kareem down a few rounds since he likely won't do anything in 2019.

CMC could be tier 1, and Lindsey could be tier 3.
You mean holes being that I said in my post that I wasn't comfortable with knowing where I would put Ware in so I decided to leave him off?  Ok, point out something against a specific statement I made as a hole....  Ok.  As for the other RB's none of them are worthy of being in a top55 list.  

Plus the last 10 days have shown quite a bit more of CMC and Lindsey that they could be moved up for sure.  I'll grant you that one.  I think people are timid about Lindsey though.  Unsure exactly how his future workload will be when they drafted Freeman as well, who hasn't looked bad when given opportunity.  It's a bit murky in Denver.  

Hilton has had weeks where he has single handily won your week for you and his targets are more secure than Cooks' I think.  I didn't look into target data but you just compare the players around each and obviously the Rams are winning in that.  That usually means it's more spread out, which is one reason I have 3 Rams WR's so close together.  But I put Hilton higher because he's guaranteed his targets, and it's possibly for him to outright win you that weeks matchup.  Cooks isn't going to do that for you.  
Cooks has outscored Hilton on the season (we can call it a draw though since its so close). I don't know how you define "single handedly" winning your week for you but the only huge week Hilton had was week 11 where he went 9-155-2 (36.5 points in ppr). However, including that week, Hilton has 3 weeks where he scored above 20 fantasy points (so 2 other weeks). Cooks has 4 weeks where he did that. I do not think Hilton had any more impact on fantasy wins and losses than Cooks did.

Cooks has outscored Hilton on the season (we can call it a draw though since its so close). I don't know how you define "single handedly" winning your week for you but the only huge week Hilton had was week 11 where he went 9-155-2 (36.5 points in ppr). However, including that week, Hilton has 3 weeks where he scored above 20 fantasy points (so 2 other weeks). Cooks has 4 weeks where he did that. I do not think Hilton had any more impact on fantasy wins and losses than Cooks did.
That's my point though, depending on where you put the goalposts of "winning a week for you" Hilton at least reaches that, while Cooks might get you close to that without achieving it a little more often on a consistent basis.  Barely below elite production for Cooks, and Hilton gets it a couple times a year usually but more inconsistent, and with the added weapons there, I think that takes a nose dive rather than staying up near that category.  

I forget who it was on this board, ConceptCoop maybe?, but they had a study on the volatility of fantasy points as a good thing or a bad thing vs consistency and it was better to have some boom weeks with some lower performances because those booms are amazing when they happen and it's an easy win (usually).  That's how I view the two of them vs each other, where I see Hilton having some boom weeks to go along with some average ones.  Cooks doesn't completely boom but he get 3/4 of the way there a little more often.  

I would imagine they both have roughly the same amount of those "booms" as the other, I just see Hilton's target share much safer than Cooks' which on a larger scale that's why I had the tier break between tier3 and 4.  But you and FF Ninja are probably right I have him too low.  

I think the only Rams I feel confident in are Gurley and Kupp and those are the highest of all Rams players I have ranked so maybe my bias against the others is there.  Not a big Goff fan, Woods is probably underappreciated just like Cooks is in the fantasy community, but the reality is this is where I feel comfortable having them ranked.  
Thanks for the response, but I think Cooks is pretty safe in his target load. I don't see any major changes to the Rams in the coming years, so I don't see why his targets would vary to any significant degree. As for "single handedly winning a week"... if the two players are putting up the same points on the year and one guy is sometimes having huge weeks, that means he's also disappearing some weeks. I'm not a consistency guy (or a boom/bust guy) as I feel like with a large enough lineup things will somewhat even out, so I'm not going to ding Hilton for boom/bust games when comparing him to Cooks (although I haven't done the research to see how true this is) but I'm also not going to ding Cooks for not having a single massive week this season. In the end, they are similar players in stable situations and similar stat lines. The only difference to me is age (4 yrs), which is pretty significant in terms of dynasty. If you were only going to move one guy, I'd move Hilton down rather than Cooks up.

I don't own either player, but interesting to hear other people's take on them. Also surprised to hear you like Kupp the best out of all three WRs. He's the least exciting to me. He's a good player, but in the end, he's still a slow slot receiver which rarely leads to the "week winning" stat lines you prefer. Cooks and Woods have both proven more dynamic and all three are pretty similar in age.

WR time

Tier 1 - (1) DeAndre Hopkins, (2) Michael Thomas, (3) Odell Beckham Jr, (4) Tyreek Hill

Tier 2 - (5) Davante Adams, (6) Keenan Allen, (7) JuJu Smith-Schuster, (8) Mike Evans, (9) Antonio Brown, (10) Julio Jones

Tier 3 - (11) TY Hilton, (12) AJ Green, (13) Adam Thielen

Tier 4 - (14) Kenny Golladay, (15) Stefon Diggs, (16) Amari Cooper, (17) Allen Robinson, (18) Corey Davis, (19) DJ Moore, (20) Cooper Kupp, (21) Chris Godwin, (22) Alshon Jeffery, (23) Robert Woods, (24) Brandin Cooks, (25) Josh Gordon, (26)Tyler Boyd

Tier 5 - (27) Will Fuller, (28) Christian Kirk, (29) Courtland Sutton, (30) Calvin Ridley, (31) Jarvis Landry, (32) Michael Gallup, (33) Anthony Miller (34) Emmanuel Sanders

Tier 6 - (35) Marvin Jones, (36) Tre'Quan Smith, (37) Josh Reynolds, (38) Curtis Samuel, (39) Marquise Goodwin, (40)Tyler Lockett, (41) Antonio Callaway, (42) Devante Parker

Tier 7 - (43) Mike Williams, (44) Julien Edelman, (45) Sterling Shepard, (46) Chris Conley, (47) Dede Westbrook, (48) Daeshawn Hamilton, (49) Tyrell Williams

Tier 8 - (50) Devin Funchess, (51) Paul Richardson, (52) Sammy Watkins, (53) Equanimeous St. Brown

Tier 9 - (54) James Washington, (55) Golden Tate, (56) Marquez Valdes-Scantling, (57) Doug Baldwin, (58) Keelan Cole, (59) Quincy Enunwa, (60) DJ Chark

Basically the only questions about my own rankings I have are the Rams WR's, and the giant group of tier4.  All of them in that group I think will either make/break a season depending on who you pick and it's literally a crapshoot. I see the rookie WR's in 2019 jumping into tier 4 and 5.  There are so many young guys in that group it was pretty difficult in my mind to separate them.  
Nice job.  Thank you for the rankings.  

IMO the top tier should be two players.  Hopkins and Adams.  Adams has put it all together, and is a TD monster.  Paired with Rodgers for the foreseeable future, its as good as it gets in fantasy.  Thomas and Beckham may be equally or more talented, but we look at 3 year windows when evaluating dynasty players.  I have no idea who is going to QB the Giants next year, and Brees will be 40 next month.  Very real chance that either or both will be hamstrung by bad QB play in the near future.  

I also think its increasingly clear that Antonio Brown and AJ Green have past their peak.  I would much rather have Stefon Diggs than either.  Diggs' full season pace this year is 117/1220/8.  

Since the QB discussion died down a bit and we are at the weekend here's the RB rankings. 

It's easiest to just keep Kareem Hunt where I had him instead of moving him because so much is uncertain there, I definitely think he gets another chance because at least to me the biggest reason he was released was because he lied to them and less about the incident.  And I just honestly wouldn't quite know where I would want him ranked after all of that.  Same goes for Ware who might be my biggest omission right now.  I know very little about him so I left him off completely for now.  

The ranks are based on 1/2 ppr

Tier 1 - (1) Saquon Barkley, (2) Todd Gurley, (3) Ezekiel Elliott

Tier 2 - (4) Alvin Kamara, (5) Kareem Hunt, (6) Christian McCaffrey, (7) James Connor, (8) Joe Mixon, (9) Melvin Gordon, (10) Nick Chubb, (11) Derrius Guice

Tier 3 - (12) David Johnson, (13) Le'Veon Bell, (14) Leonard Fournette, (15) Kerryon Johnson, (16) Aaron Jones, (17) Sony Michel

Tier 4 - (18) Rashaad Penny, (19) Dalvin Cook, (20) Phillip Lindsey, (21) Marlon Mack, (22) Tevin Coleman, (23) Jerrick McKinnon

Tier 5 - (24) Royce Freeman, (25) Matt Breida, (26) Josh Adams, (27) Devonte Freeman, (28) Kenyan Drake, (29) Tarik Cohen, (30) Mark Ingram, (31) TJ Yeldon

Tier 6 - (32) Chris Carson, (33) D'Onte Foreman, (34) Jordan Howard, (35) Derrick Henry, (36) Jay Ajayi

Tier 7 - (37) Lamar Miller, (38) James White, (39) Dion Lewis, (40) Duke Johnson, (41) LeSean McCoy, (42) Austin Ekeler, (43) Nyheim Hines, (44) Giovanni Bernard

Tier 8 - (45) Isaiah Crowell, (46) Ronald Jones, (47) Chris Warren III, (48) Mike Boone, (49) Ito Smith, (50) Elijah McGuire, (51) Alex Collins, (52) Gus Edwards

Tier 9 - (53) Kalen Ballage, (54) Chase Edmunds, (55) John Kelly

The top3 RB's I feel are total locks.  No uncertainty about what they'll do no matter the circumstances.  Gurley has a great offense, Zeke gets fed, and Barkley is just that damn good.  Then Tier 2 is the super solid, consolation prizes of stud RB's.  Then we get into more and more questions obviously.  I feel like RB is pretty deep right now with a lot of youth on the upswing.  When I finalized this list, the ones that kind of stood out to me are Hines, Foreman, Devonte Freeman, Josh Adams, Yeldon, Breida, Lindsey, Mack, Fournette, Bell, DJ, McKinnon.  Some have fallen from the elite tiers 1 and 2, and some are up and comers who need opportunity to show what they can do.  All of who I feel like could either boom or bust next year.  Someone will likely take them higher than they should and either feel smarter than the world or regret it the rest of the season.  But That's everyone I see having some value going into 2019, some as handcuff pieces, some as fliers and some as depth.  

And unlike the WR group I don't see the RB landscape changing a whole lot based on the draft.  Maybe 2-3 of the 2019 class fit the bill but I don't think I could put them any higher than Tier 5.  But I haven't done a whole lot of 2019 work yet for the rookies.  
Just wondering how far up we move Henry at this moment after his two crazy games. I know I’d rank him over almost everyone in tiers 4, 5, and 6. I may even take him over Michel, Jones, and even DJ. Of course these next couple games will matter for his spot next year, but I’m wondering how people feel about him now.

Just wondering how far up we move Henry at this moment after his two crazy games. I know I’d rank him over almost everyone in tiers 4, 5, and 6. I may even take him over Michel, Jones, and even DJ. Of course these next couple games will matter for his spot next year, but I’m wondering how people feel about him now.
Just reactionary I'd move him up 2 spots.  He still is a grinding RB who doesn't catch passes and in PPR I'll take my shot on those types of guys that I have in tier 5 or 4 before I take a shot on guys like Henry.  There's always someone that shows up unexpectedly before playoffs, and those are more often than not overvalued going into next year.  Not a guy I'd rank highly, no matter what he does to close out 2018 season.  

Part of this is that some of my leagues are transitioning into full PPR rather than 1/2 PPR so that weights in a bit, but his recent performances don't move the needle a whole lot.  He can be someone else's problem.   

Most of what I post after this one will be focused on the 2019 draft class (other than questions/comments of course).  I'll still post some on overall dynasty rankings but I'm in the process of shifting gears.  But I want to get back to fiddling with players.  I enjoy it so I'm just sharing what it turns into with everyone.  And to start it off I just realized I never posted the TE's that I had from my initial list.  So let's get back to updating this thread. 

Here are the TE's:

Tier 1 - (1) Travis Kelce

Tier 2 - (2) George Kittle, (3) OJ Howard

Tier 3 - (4) Zach Ertz, (5) Hunter Henry, (6) David Njoku

Tier 4 - (7) Eric Ebron, (8) Evan Engram, (9) Vance McDonald, (10) Ian Thomas

Tier 5 - (11) Rob Gronkowski, (12) Trey Burton, (13) Jack Doyle, (14) Hayden Hurst, (15) Dallas Goedert, (16) Mark Andrews

Tier 6 - (17) Chris Herndon, (18) Mike Gesicki, (19) Jonnu Smith, (20) Gerald Everett, (21) Adam Shaheen

Tier 7 - (22) Jordan Reed, (23) Jimmy Graham, (24) Ricky Seals-Jones, (25) Austin Hooper

Tier 8 - (26) Demetrius Harris, (27) Jared Cook, (28) Kyle Rudolph

A couple notes on this set of rankings.

1.  I like Kittle enough but he has to regress off of what he did this past year right?  Still a great TE to have.

2. Gronk is mostly there by default, but the closer we get to season I have a feeling he'll be moving down further and further on my rankings.  

3.  Everyone will question Ian Thomas here, but he showed a lot as a rookie and that he can be trusted.  He came on the last 5 weeks of the season and maybe it's recency bias but I believe in the guy at this point.  My expectation is that Olsen retires which is also why he isn't on this list. 

4.  Ricky Seals-Jones is a personal favorite but he's getting close to being irrelevant.  He had a pretty good target share, just didn't do much with them and I partially blame that offense in general and I partially blame him for not making his plays when he needed to.  Either way he is close to being off this list entirely if that offense doesn't step up this year.  He has the talent. 

5.  Same for Demetrius Harris as a favorite of mine, who is a free agent and a great dart throw TE in the offseason.

I'm going through rookies now, but that's a long list to get through.  Soon to come.  

Going Howard over Ertz at this juncture seems like taking it a step too far, but I respect the call. Should at least be in the same tier though, having Ertz as a tier 3 guy is insane imo. 

Going Howard over Ertz at this juncture seems like taking it a step too far, but I respect the call. Should at least be in the same tier though, having Ertz as a tier 3 guy is insane imo. 
Hell, I don't understand not putting Ertz and Kelce in the same tier. Ertz is a year younger than Kelce and doesn't have Kelce's microfracture surgery. 

Other thoughts:
Hooper seems pretty low. He had a decent year and is only 24 years old. He's basically the same age as Goedert and he had a better season than Burton who is somehow 2 tiers above him and 3 years older. 
Vance McDonald seems strangely high.
Ebron is the biggest sell high I've seen in a while. Fluky TDs and played a very low % of snaps when Doyle was healthy.

Vance McDonald just looks like he should be ranked that high when he is being used, but at the end of the day the guy just does not produce consistently. Whether it's because of something he's doing (or not doing) or just Big Ben's tendencies is hard to ascertain, but does it really matter? I guess one could argue that if Brown gets trade a ton of targets open up but I'm guessing those go to JJSS, Washington, Rogers and/or whoever they draft rather then McDonald.

I've been selling this offseason, after getting him for free (or practically free) all last offseason, and he still fetches a decent price, well more than he should at least.

Ebron is the biggest sell high I've seen in a while. Fluky TDs and played a very low % of snaps when Doyle was healthy.
I can by this but are they fluky? It's an Andrew Luck offense, he's the only big target and a high percentage of those TDs were plays specifically designed to go to him. I realize that it's tough to project 12 TDs for him again next year, but I think it's not all that unlikely he sees double digit TDs again.

However, it's a very valid point and you're probably correct that the smart move is to sell.

I can buy this but are they fluky? It's an Andrew Luck offense, he's the only big target and a high percentage of those TDs were plays specifically designed to go to him. I realize that it's tough to project 12 TDs for him again next year, but I think it's not all that unlikely he sees double digit TDs again.

However, it's a very valid point and you're probably correct that the smart move is to sell.
Given that he's struggled with contested passes in the past, I think it's very possible this was a once off TD aberration. The other part is his snap split with and without Doyle. Doyle missed 10 games entirely and half of another game. In the 5 games Doyle was healthy Ebron only ranged from 22%-45% of the snaps. I feel confident projecting Doyle for more than 5.5 games played next year, which will hurt Ebron a lot. I also think the Colts will be stronger at WR2 and RB next season, but that's just speculation. 

Hell, I don't understand not putting Ertz and Kelce in the same tier. Ertz is a year younger than Kelce and doesn't have Kelce's microfracture surgery. 

Other thoughts:
Hooper seems pretty low. He had a decent year and is only 24 years old. He's basically the same age as Goedert and he had a better season than Burton who is somehow 2 tiers above him and 3 years older. 
I thought about moving OJ Howard down a tier and just keeping Kittle by himsef in tier2 but I like OJ too much.  I'm down on Ertz for multiple reasons.  The main one is that he's more WR than TE, where I prefer my TE's to be good blockers as well (hence the OJ Howard ranking).  I also think Goedert has shown fantastic in his limited role for his rookie year and think that will split more in the future.  Ertz is still a top TE but I think the Tate signing was a clue as to wanting to limit his exposure a bit, same with the Goedert pick.  

I'm comfortable saying Hooper will never be more than a situational TE, and those guys just tend to drop in ranking year after year.  I'm just beating people to it.  But his ranking is a small reflection on Matt Ryan and that offense.  The offense isn't geared towards the TE like in the Gonzalez days.  Unless he moves to a different team, I'll remain low on the guy.  

McDonald has shown really well and he is actually a difference maker when he is used.  I'd be ok with him as a TE1 for my team.  I think you can get him cheaper than where I ranked him.  

Ebron is tough for anyone to peg, but I don't believe it's "fluky" at all, I think it's Luck's ability to find people who know how to score.  Moncrief was the example from a few years ago, Doyle being another, and now Ebron.  The difference is Ebron is 2x the talent as those guys and finally found a home after being criminally under-utilized in Detroit.  He can be himself instead of being forced into a triangle hole as a circle in Detroit.  

howard ahead of njoku?
One offense seemed to use the TE more than the other, while OJ was way more efficient with his targets than Njoku was.  Similar numbers this year overall, although OJ only played 10 games.  They both continually impress me but I love me some OJ Howard and I only "like-like" me some Njoku.  

Both reached year1 and year2 target numbers that I have for TE prospects and I'd be buying both.  

I feel confident projecting Doyle for more than 5.5 games played next year,
Doyle is owed $5.15MM and all of his guarantees have been paid - they have a lot of cap space so he'll probably be back but not sure with Ebron doing so well. The snap count is concerning but targets mean more - and Ebron did well with his targets and I think that should earn him snaps.

I do still agree he's likely a good "sell high" though so not really arguing just trying to has it out a bit.

I thought about moving OJ Howard down a tier and just keeping Kittle by himsef in tier2 but I like OJ too much.  I'm down on Ertz for multiple reasons.  The main one is that he's more WR than TE, where I prefer my TE's to be good blockers as well (hence the OJ Howard ranking).  I also think Goedert has shown fantastic in his limited role for his rookie year and think that will split more in the future.  Ertz is still a top TE but I think the Tate signing was a clue as to wanting to limit his exposure a bit, same with the Goedert pick.  

I'm comfortable saying Hooper will never be more than a situational TE, and those guys just tend to drop in ranking year after year.  I'm just beating people to it.  But his ranking is a small reflection on Matt Ryan and that offense.  The offense isn't geared towards the TE like in the Gonzalez days.  Unless he moves to a different team, I'll remain low on the guy.  

McDonald has shown really well and he is actually a difference maker when he is used.  I'd be ok with him as a TE1 for my team.  I think you can get him cheaper than where I ranked him.  

Ebron is tough for anyone to peg, but I don't believe it's "fluky" at all, I think it's Luck's ability to find people who know how to score.  Moncrief was the example from a few years ago, Doyle being another, and now Ebron.  The difference is Ebron is 2x the talent as those guys and finally found a home after being criminally under-utilized in Detroit.  He can be himself instead of being forced into a triangle hole as a circle in Detroit.  
Thanks for the rankings either way. I'm with you on the OJ Howard love. However, I'm not sure Kelce is that good of a blocker, but that's just an impression I have. If it is true then it's still weird that Kelce and Ertz have such a difference in tiers. 

I've got no shares of Hooper so I'm fine with you being right on this prediction, but I recall he was a Waldman favorite and it's hard to ignore 71 receptions by a TE. And again, he's younger than Burton and had a better year and they're two tiers apart. Just seems strange when looking at the rankings.

I haven't watched McDonald much, so maybe I need to. I always got a bit of a JAG vibe from him, especially after SF shipped him off as soon as the new regime arrived. Then he was splitting time with Jesse James. His stat line is unremarkable. But I guess I should take a closer look since you seem hyped about him.

The largest fluky part about Ebron was his snap % - it only increased due to injury. Can't count on that happening again. Granted his lack of dropped touchdowns was also fluky after years of watching him drop TDs from Stafford (I actually am not a jaded owner since I've never had him, but I feel their pain). He's graded out poorly on contested catches in the past which is a huge problem for a big TE - that's supposed to be a strength, not a weakness. Maybe he's put that behind him, but that would be a rare moment where a leopard changes his spots.

One offense seemed to use the TE more than the other, while OJ was way more efficient with his targets than Njoku was.  Similar numbers this year overall, although OJ only played 10 games.  They both continually impress me but I love me some OJ Howard and I only "like-like" me some Njoku.  

Both reached year1 and year2 target numbers that I have for TE prospects and I'd be buying both.  
last 8 games of the season, we saw njoku see an avg of 4.6 targets per game, and avg receptions of 3.1 receptions per game. about 67% completion percentage.

He actually had MORE targets and receptions the first half of the season, but I threw those out the window, as I wanted to somewhat split hue / non hue games, and where baker really started to take off.

despite the "dip" he looked better later in the season, and Im hoping they carry that forward. I think njoku looks primed to really break out sooner than later.

I wouldnt put ihm in a kelce echelon, but I see top 5 TE written all over him

I'm down on Ertz for multiple reasons.  The main one is that he's more WR than TE, where I prefer my TE's to be good blockers as well (hence the OJ Howard ranking).  I also think Goedert has shown fantastic in his limited role for his rookie year and think that will split more in the future.  Ertz is still a top TE but I think the Tate signing was a clue as to wanting to limit his exposure a bit, same with the Goedert pick.  
Do you get points for blocking in your fantasy leagues? And before you (or some one) comes back with being able to block helps keep the TE on the field, I'm not sure that's a concern for a guy targeted 156 times - and how did adding Tate or Goedert limit him in anyway?

The Eagles play a ton of 2TE sets (it's practically their base offense) so I also don't see how a "split" with Goedert comes into play.

Do you get points for blocking in your fantasy leagues? And before you (or some one) comes back with being able to block helps keep the TE on the field, I'm not sure that's a concern for a guy targeted 156 times - and how did adding Tate or Goedert limit him in anyway?

The Eagles play a ton of 2TE sets (it's practically their base offense) so I also don't see how a "split" with Goedert comes into play.
No points for blocking, but it does open up formation changes when protection is covered and the QB can give the TE a hot read instead of keeping him in-line.  There's more opportunity for TE's when they block as well as catch.  It's more a plus for guys that do both than a knock for some guys that don't, but it's what keeps me a little more leary of guys like Ertz who are mostly volume based.  He's still TE4, not far off from what so many of you "want", I just prefer my TE's in that type of role unless they're beasts like Kelce.  Ertz isn't in the same mold.  

Rookie ranking time.  I have completed my initial watching of 12 WR's and 12 RB's so I want to give the ranks for those that I have watched.  I generally use standard TE and QB ranks from other sources as I feel like I don't know what I'm looking at a lot of the time scouting those.  But here's the list of WR's along with some notes for each guy I had ranked.  I'll post the RB's tomorrow.

My tiers are always independent lists.  Tier1 is not comparable to tier1 of the QB/WR/RB/TE lists.

This is also based purely on talent from my eyes and their production, less about where I would rank them in a rookie list (that will come later)

WR's

Tier 1 - (1) Preston Williams, (2) N'Keal Harry

Tier 2 - (3) AJ Brown, (4) Kelvin Harmon, (5) Hakeem Butler, (6) Deebo Samuel

Tier 3 - (7) Marquise Brown, (8) DK Metcalf

Tier 4 - (9) Anthony Ratliff-Williams, (10) Parris Campbell, (11) JJ Arcega Whiteside, (12) Cody Thompson

Let's go through some notes on these guys.  Preston Williams was super impressive to me.  He plays big, good athlete with speed and quickness.  He has off the field issues but this is talent based and I believe he is the most talented WR in this class.  N'keal Harry is very good as well.  His comps are all over the board, and I do have questions on his separation like I mentioned in his thread, but he passes my initial test of what I'm looking for, and was impressive doing so.  Same goes for AJ Brown, he has everything you could want in a WR.  There are questions about him playing more slot than anything, but with the opening up offenses I think he has no problem becoming a big weapon for a team.  Kelvin Harmon is not quite a do everything type of receiver but he's an outside guy with great tracking, body control and toughness.  Compared to last year, I view 2019 WR's as a big step up.  I'd have between 4-7 (these top4 for sure) of these WR's ranked ahead of ANY WR from 2018 at the time.  But back to the notes, Hakeem Butler is interesting to me.  He looks to have quick feet, but he's not quick, he's not very explosive but he's fast and apparently he's 6'6".  He's smooth for being that big, but I wonder if it's too big and if people can figure him out rather quickly.  Deebo Samuel is one of the safest WR's, I'm not sure if he's special just yet, but he can do everything really well (other than blocking).  He's a bulked up Christian Kirk to use a recent example.  Safe play.  Marquise Brown is a guy people love.  Antonio Brown mentoring him a bit in his draft prep isn't exactly a bad start to his professional career.  Again though, I'm not sure if I see "special".  I see pretty damn good at what he does, but I also see some big mistakes so I think he's a little more boom/bust than some.  DK Metcalf is exactly that as well.  Boom or bust.  He's big, and probably a great athlete according to some places, but his constant OPI (although not called) and lack of speed is what keeps me low.  One of those can be eased in my mind with his combine, but as of now he's low on my list.  Anthony Ratliff-Williams, he's more athlete than football player right now, but he's 3 years into playing WR and he's very raw, definitely a project for a NFL team but he could be a hidden gem.  Parris Campbell I like because he's explosive.  Probably not a great athlete but I think there might be enough there for him to get by as a #2.  JJ Arcega-Whiteside is almost the opposite, probably a better athlete than Campbell, but not as quick or explosive.  That's why I gave the edge to Campbell is because I like the more explosive type of players usually.  Lastly Cody Thompson he's more here by default since he was the last guy I watched.  I don't find him very impressive at anything so he's very likely to move down this list when I get to others.

More names I have to get to still:  Andy Isabella, Riley Ridley, Keelan Doss, Collin Johnson, Lil'Jordan Humphrey, Mecole Hardman, John Ursua, David Sills, Anthony Johnson.  Please let me know of others that I should watch and add to this list.  

How is it even remotely true that Cooks and Lockett are the same (and I do like Lockett)? Cooks will have four straight years of over 1,000 yards (with 3 of the 4 over 1,100), with 27+ TDs in those four seasons. And he's still 25 years old.

I've said this numerous times on this board but it never ceases to amaze me how under-rated Cooks is.
Cooks can only beat corners with slow 40 times. 😜

@Zyphros do you move Washington up at all considering Browns likely departure? 
Definitely.  I'd slot him in near the bottom of tier6 right now, but with the rookies coming in, they're probably going to be about the same rankings wise.  I was never a big fan of his to begin with but I also think it's more than a 50/50 shot that somehow the Steelers work it out with AB and he returns.  

My plan, at least for now, is to release my rookie rankings of WR's (already done), RB's tomorrow, a full top40 pre-combine ranking by February 23rd, then add those rookies into my dynasty rankings by the end of March.  I gave updates on "pre-season rankings" last year and honestly there just weren't a lot of changes I made during that time.  1 or 2 guys made impacts so I moved them around, but there wasn't much of an "update" so I'm spacing things out a little more as we're getting into NFL draft season.  

Users who are viewing this thread