What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Hue Jackson the worst Head Coach in the history of sport? (2 Viewers)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Yes, this needs its own thread

Watch This

Combine it w everything you know about him, and his actual stats... And answer the question:

Is Hue Jackson the worst coach in history of pro sports?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff Fischer was pretty ### #### bad.  His team went from 4-12 to 11-5 with very similar personnel...

Romeo Crennel was also pretty spectacular at being bad.
Fisher was pretty good for a long time before he got bad.

Hue has a .205 winning percentage. Yeah, he's the worst.

Rod Marinelli or Marty Morhinwhig may have been worse... thing is though, Hue may finish as most hated. I don’t know why the press is so ####### kind to him. He wasn’t just bad in Cleveland, he was awful. On his way out the door he blamed having a rookie QB (on top of everyone and everything not named Hue Jackson) who has only gone on to tear things up since he left. His media tour was very trashy and I’m surprised someone let him into their organization so quickly seeing as he looks like a massive piece of cancer.

If he ends up as Cincy’s coach for some god awful reason I think everyone in the north will rightfully laugh hysterically. Baker will make it a point to absolutely destroy the Bengals every game Hue is there as coach.

Mike Singletary was remarkably bad but in kind of an impressive way: his methodology was 100% motivation, 0% strategy.

I'm surprised to see he was 18-22 but of course the 49ers started the next year free of him and went 9-1.

Petrino gets a nod for bailing out on his team midseason, with no warning, leaving just a brief note behind him on his way to coach in college. 

Great moment from Zimmer about it when it happened, to boot:

“He’s a gutless *******. Quote that. I don’t give a s#!t,” Zimmer said Wednesday, according to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

When Zimmer was told that responsible news organization may not be able to use “*******,” Zimmer responded:

“How about this, gutless MotherF@$#&r. You can use that.”
Lane Kiffin anyone?

If we're digging deep, Rod Rust also comes to mind. So does Marion Campbell, Dave Shula, and Joe Bugel. 

Did great work laying the foundation for a budding powerhouse in Cleveland. Lots of teams deserve a talent like this. Bengals franchise has earned years of Hue.

Faye Abbott of the ‘33-34 Dayton Triangles went 0-13 and his teams scored 16 points in total.  Technically, he’s the worst head coach in NFL history, as you can’t get any worse than a .000 winning percentage.  Plus his name was Faye.

Nobody cares enough to check every pro sport.

We get it, Hue sucks and he should never be a head coach again.

Sorry, but those throwing out coaches who have been to the SB are not being legit.

Fisher went to a SB, he cant be mentioned with Hue who had a Winless season. Keep perspective.
Coaches that led teams to winless seasons are your winners.
Pretty easy question for those not trying to bring in bias and showing personal hate for a coach.
I also dont care about every sport regardless of this thread title...This isnt Baseballguys, Hockeyguys or Basketballguys or even Soccerguys...its Footballguys, so I'll keep it to discussing the sport in question on this site.

Sorry, but those throwing out coaches who have been to the SB are not being legit.

Fisher went to a SB, he cant be mentioned with Hue who had a Winless season. Keep perspective.
Coaches that led teams to winless seasons are your winners.
Pretty easy question for those not trying to bring in bias and showing personal hate for a coach.
I also dont care about every sport regardless of this thread title...This isnt Baseballguys, Hockeyguys or Basketballguys or even Soccerguys...its Footballguys, so I'll keep it to discussing the sport in question on this site.
That's what makes Fisher so impressively horrible. The guy made it to a Super Bowl on the back of a great QB, RB and defense. Then proceeded to take the next 15 years proving how epically bad he really was at coaching.

I'm not fan of Fisher but to mention him in the same breath as Jackson is stupid.

Fisher has 6 10+ win seasons in a career that was far too long. 

Fisher won 51% of his games, Hue 21%. I don't care what team you have, that is in no way comparable. Yes, Fisher sucks. And yes, Hue is the worst head coach in NFL history.

Normally I would give a pass to coaches who were really good at being a coordinator or a position coach, but just couldn't handle the duties and the scope of being a head coach.

But was Jackson ever that good as an assistant coach? His claims to fame are 1) turning T.J. Houshmandzadeh into a Pro Bowler, and 2) helping Joe Flacco win a couple playoff games.

Rich Kotite.
This is the only correct answer.

Fun fact: In Kotite's first year as a HC, he was in possession of the greatest defensive unit of all time by FO's DVOA. Not only was it #1, the DVOA gap between them and the #2 '86 Bears is greater than the gap between #2 and #12. And he didn't even make the playoffs with them! That's (almost literally, in DVOA terms) the equivalent of missing the playoffs with the 2007 Patriots offense. I genuinely don't think even Hue Jackson could have accomplished that feat.

Fun fact: In Kotite's first year as a HC, he was in possession of the greatest defensive unit of all time by FO's DVOA. Not only was it #1, the DVOA gap between them and the #2 '86 Bears is greater than the gap between #2 and #12. And he didn't even make the playoffs with them! That's (almost literally, in DVOA terms) the equivalent of missing the playoffs with the 2007 Patriots offense. I genuinely don't think even Hue Jackson could have accomplished that feat.
Hue Jackson: Hold my beer.....

The OP said all of sports so I have to submit John MacLean during his brief stint coaching the Devils.

The team had a 9-22-2 record when he was fired and the team brought back Jacques Lemaire.  They went 1-7-0 in Lemaire's first 8 games back...

....then went on a 22-3-2 tear.  Which is about as big of an indictment of MacLean as you can make.  Team went to the Stanely Cup Final the next year.

-QG

Mr. Irrelevant said:

You're under estimating the amount of poisoning he would apply within that locker room. 

The OP said all of sports so I have to submit John MacLean during his brief stint coaching the Devils.

The team had a 9-22-2 record when he was fired and the team brought back Jacques Lemaire.  They went 1-7-0 in Lemaire's first 8 games back...

....then went on a 22-3-2 tear.  Which is about as big of an indictment of MacLean as you can make.  Team went to the Stanely Cup Final the next year.

-QG
Alright Baker - bring us a Lombardi next year. 

Mr. Irrelevant said:

That team had absolutely no offense after Randall Cunningham (and Keith Jackson) got hurt in Week 1. This was more the fault of his predecessor, Buddy Ryan, who didn't care about offense in the slightest, and the front office, who did not surround Cunningham with much talent on that side of the ball. But Kotite was definitely not the guy to rally the team in the face of adversity.

More emblematic of his Eagles' tenure was his final year there, in which the team started 7-2 and then lost 7 straight to finish 7-9; the last loss was to the Bengals, who were horrifically bad that year. 

The guy that took over for Jon Gruden in Oakland, and didn’t bother to change the offense against Gruden and Tampa in the SB. The Bucs knew the Raiders plays as they called them. His record maybe not be as terrible but that was Grudens team and offense. The fact that he didn’t have the brains to change it against the guy that set it up, says it all. 

Users who are viewing this thread