Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
ren hoek

Jeffrey Epstein: there is definitely nothing to see here folks, I am feeling very sleepy, I think I'll take a nice nap.

So here's Vicky Ward, author of the "I Tried to Warn You About Sleazy Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein in 2003" piece on the Daily Beast, writing about Epstein & Maxwell in 2011.  

And Ghislaine?

Full disclosure: I like her. Most people in New York do. It’s almost impossible not to.

She is always the most interesting, the most vivacious, the most unusual person in any room. I’ve spent hours talking to her about the Third World at a bar until two a.m. She is as passionate as she is knowledgeable. She is curious. She has spent weeks at the bottom of the ocean, literally going deeper than anyone else. She has sent me a DVD of the fish there. Her Rolodex would blow away almost anyone else’s I can think of—probably even Rupert Murdoch’s. She is very well read and can talk about most things for hours. She is passionate about Bill Clinton, with whom she is close friends.

Yet, touchingly, when she had to give a speech at the 40th-birthday party of her best friend, Ariadne Calvo-Platero (known fondly to her close friends as “the Tennis Goddess”), Ghislaine shook a little with nerves. When it comes down to things she really cares about—and Ariadne is one of them—Ghislaine shows her vulnerability. And that vulnerability is key to understanding her friendship with Jeffrey.

“He saved her,” I remember a close friend of mine telling me. “When her father died, she was a wreck; inconsolable. And then Jeffrey took her in. She’s never forgotten that—and never will.”

In many ways, the socially awkward Epstein, with his big house, plane, island, and ranch, was the perfect replacement for her father, the late Robert Maxwell, newspaper tycoon and criminal. Sure, Jeffrey had his sexual peccadilloes, but then Ghislaine’s father was not without his oddities. After all, it was he who died leaving a massive “black hole” he’d fraudulently created. To Ghislaine, Jeffrey’s habits may not have seemed that strange.

In fact, she probably figured, rather like I have, after years of writing about the very rich, that most successful people in the end either have some weird habit (the late Bruce Wasserstein had the weight issues and the girl issues, and moved countries to avoid paying tax) or break the law (Sam Waksal, Martha Stewart). You don’t tend to get to the top by being the world’s most balanced human being. Even the folksy Warren Buffett didn’t quite manage a normal life—whatever that is. He had a second “wife” for many years whose existence he has been open about.

So what to make of the current fuss over Ghislaine? I haven’t spoken to her or to Jeffrey, but I suspect that her loyalty to friends like Bill Clinton will keep her in good stead and, in the end, she’ll be out and about as always. Look at Waksal and Stewart. No one sees them and thinks: criminal. Au contraire. In this city, money makes up for all sorts of blemishes.

Yeah, Epstein's 'black book' is insane. That Intelligencer article was fairly damning just with names and sketches of relationships, no matter how tenuous the relationships were. 

It does speak to the notion of a global elite that protects each other at all costs.  

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ren hoek said:

>>Rose, Charlie: Television journalist.

Name found in Epstein’s black book.
You learn things answering phones, and in the spring of 2005, answering Charlie Rose’s phone at his PBS show, you would learn that his friend Jeffrey Epstein had some recommendations to make for whom Rose ought to hire as his next assistant. Written call logs from 2005 and 2006 show Epstein and his own assistant calling dozens of times, making plans for lunch and tea in Manhattan or to try to meet up in Paris. Epstein also called with a total of five women’s names and phone numbers. One woman was described as “world’s most perfect assistant she used to work for Harvey Weinstein he’s lucky if he can get her.” Another entry reads, “Jeffrey Epstein wants to talk to you before you call these two girls.” A fourth woman shows up on the manifests of Epstein’s jet, including on Bill Clinton’s trip across Africa, and wound up working at the Clinton Foundation. Two former staffers remember another Epstein referral, a young woman not mentioned in the logs, who interned at the show. In all, Rose hired three (“Jeffrey Epstein from time to time recommended various candidates for open positions at the Charlie Rose Show,” Rose’s representative said in a statement, but said the ex-host only learned about Epstein’s alleged abuse years later, when he pleaded guilty in Florida).

When I called one of these women recently, she was stunned to learn she was one of many women Epstein recommended for the job. ******** “I was being offered up for abuse,” said the woman, who was 22 at the time she worked for Rose. It helped her understand not only how her boss Rose — whom in 2017 she would accuse, along with 34 other adult women, of sexual harassment— had treated her, but also how the rest of the staff had seen her. And it helped her understand a grim version of networking among powerful men.<<

• Like 2

This just gets uglier. Speaks to the importance of investigative journalism and why papers dying is a problem.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Wait, was the 22-year-old a sex-worker for Epstein?

I don't think she was a sex worker. I think she used his networking connections to land a job with Rose, who then proceeded to abuse/harass her within the scope of her employment

>>Burkle, Ron: Supermarket magnate.

Name found in Epstein’s black book and on Epstein’s private jet log.
Burkle took what were described as humanitarian trips to Africa with Bill Clinton on Epstein’s private Boeing 727. According to a 2008 Vanity Fair feature about the former president, “Burkle’s usual means of transport is the custom-converted Boeing 757 that Clinton calls ‘Ron Air’ and that Burkle’s own circle of young aides privately refer to as ‘Air #### One.’ ”<<

- Burkle played a role in the Clinton Foundation story as well.

- I don’t think it’s right to fill in assumptions without context. And my guess is looking at these names - a thousand? - that they were involved in some kind of brothel/extortion scheme. But it’s possible that the book has some much smaller grouping within that did have some such meaning to Epstein.

1 hour ago, Joe Summer said:

Wait, was the 22-year-old a sex-worker for Epstein?

I have a feeling that as more is revealed and dots are connected it will only get worse. 

Why would Epstein be recommending this 22-year-old to someone who ended up being a creep? I can’t think of a good reason.

One possibility, she was a recruiter for Epstein. Some of the stories talked about it almost being like a pyramid scheme where the original victims earn more money by recruiting other girls to take their place. Perhaps the next level (when they become too old) was be setup with jobs outside of sex trafficking business.

• Thinking 1

Isn’t it possible the black book is just a list of his associates?  Or is the book supposed to be people that he had info on?  Because this guy supposedly loved to associate with celebrities so just being his associate, doesn’t necessarily mean anything.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, shader said:

Isn’t it possible the black book is just a list of his associates?  Or is the book supposed to be people that he had info on?  Because this guy supposedly loved to associate with celebrities so just being his associate, doesn’t necessarily mean anything.  

Oh, sure. I hope my comments don't come across as accusations; rather, it just looks bad to be associated with Epstein right now. Some of the ancillary details do seem damning as well -- at least as far as circumstantial evidence goes.  

27 minutes ago, shader said:

Yes.

2 hours ago, shader said:

I'm waiting for the book from inside the safe (assuming there was one).

One thing I did learn from the posts today was that Trump kicked Epstein out of his club for skeeving on the girls there.  That doesn't seem an action a guy with blackmail over his head would do.

Also, the more I read the more it seems like this guy is in the same league with Larry Nassar.  He's left devastation all over the place.

11 minutes ago, Sand said:

I'm waiting for the book from inside the safe (assuming there was one).

One thing I did learn from the posts today was that Trump kicked Epstein out of his club for skeeving on the girls there.  That doesn't seem an action a guy with blackmail over his head would do.

Also, the more I read the more it seems like this guy is in the same league with Larry Nassar.  He's left devastation all over the place.

We’ll see if that story holds up over time. Remember that Trump hired and supported the person who gave Epstein the deal. If Trump was so disgusted by him, why bring in someone associated with him?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Biff84 said:

We’ll see if that story holds up over time. Remember that Trump hired and supported the person who gave Epstein the deal. If Trump was so disgusted by him, why bring in someone associated with him?

"Will you do my bidding and flatter me endlessly? Ok, You're hired"

Doesn't have to be more than that. Plus he could have been recommended by people other than Epstein

• Laughing 1

Reading the Intelligencer article was like refreshing myself with CNN from the Clinton years. I hope everybody gets what's coming to them. In spades.  

5 hours ago, msommer said:

"Will you do my bidding and flatter me endlessly? Ok, You're hired"

Doesn't have to be more than that. Plus he could have been recommended by people other than Epstein

Yeah, there are definitely at least two possible reasons Trump is surrounded by people who exploit children. 

Either because he’s in on it or because he’s so monumentally stupid and narcissistic it’s easy to glom onto him for people who would otherwise have no or little connection to power and money. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

>>Rose, Charlie: Television journalist.

Name found in Epstein’s black book.
You learn things answering phones, and in the spring of 2005, answering Charlie Rose’s phone at his PBS show, you would learn that his friend Jeffrey Epstein had some recommendations to make for whom Rose ought to hire as his next assistant. Written call logs from 2005 and 2006 show Epstein and his own assistant calling dozens of times, making plans for lunch and tea in Manhattan or to try to meet up in Paris. Epstein also called with a total of five women’s names and phone numbers. One woman was described as “world’s most perfect assistant she used to work for Harvey Weinstein he’s lucky if he can get her.” Another entry reads, “Jeffrey Epstein wants to talk to you before you call these two girls.” A fourth woman shows up on the manifests of Epstein’s jet, including on Bill Clinton’s trip across Africa, and wound up working at the Clinton Foundation. Two former staffers remember another Epstein referral, a young woman not mentioned in the logs, who interned at the show. In all, Rose hired three (“Jeffrey Epstein from time to time recommended various candidates for open positions at the Charlie Rose Show,” Rose’s representative said in a statement, but said the ex-host only learned about Epstein’s alleged abuse years later, when he pleaded guilty in Florida).

When I called one of these women recently, she was stunned to learn she was one of many women Epstein recommended for the job. ******** “I was being offered up for abuse,” said the woman, who was 22 at the time she worked for Rose. It helped her understand not only how her boss Rose — whom in 2017 she would accuse, along with 34 other adult women, of sexual harassment— had treated her, but also how the rest of the staff had seen her. And it helped her understand a grim version of networking among powerful men.<<

I guess that's one way to get to Sesame Street.

6 minutes ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

I guess that's one way to get to Sesame Street.

Today's letter is "P" as in pedophile, president, or prisoner.

Just now, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Today's letter is "P" as in pedophile, president, or prisoner.

plural? 

3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

plural? 

Sure, also Punxsutawney Phil, showing that there are good "P"'s and bad ones.

I had to mention Phil as I saw him about to post.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know the Mueller testimony is the fashionable political news of the day, but this is the real scandal here. It implicates nearly every warmed-over pop culture intellectual/celebrity/centre-left Democrat there is. 

Oh man.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Sure, also Punxsutawney Phil, showing that there are good "P"'s and bad ones.

I had to mention Phil as I saw him about to post.

Oh, the poster.  Yeah, he's cool.

I thought you meant the groundhog, and I believe that sucker is pure evil.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I know the Mueller testimony is the fashionable political news of the day, but this is the real scandal here. It implicates nearly every warmed-over pop culture intellectual/celebrity/centre-left Democrat there is. 

Oh man.  

It's not going to be divided by party lines.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

It's not going to be divided by party lines.

No, I know. And that's not what attracts me to it. But I'm looking at the main guys in the Intelligencer and there's just so much Clinton in it.  

10 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Oh, the poster.  Yeah, he's cool.

I thought you meant the groundhog, and I believe that sucker is pure evil.

An R.O.U.S. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

No, I know. And that's not what attracts me to it. But I'm looking at the main guys in the Intelligencer and there's just so much Clinton in it.  

Woody Allen looks like the breakout star. We obviously knew he was a creeper but he dated a 16yo and had 3 ways with her and Mia Farrow . 

The heart wants what the heart wants

1 minute ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

An R.O.U.S. 

Rodents of unusual size?  I doubt they even exist.

• Like 6
  • Laughing 1

10 minutes ago, rockaction said:

There is, unfortunately, not much new in reports that Clinton was involved in hiring legally-aged women specifically to sexually harass them.

3 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Woody Allen looks like the breakout star. We obviously knew he was a creeper but he dated a 16yo and had 3 ways with her and Mia Farrow . 

The heart wants what the heart wants

Oh, Woody was absolutely done before this.  

Is the bolded from Love Story? 

No, that's love means never having to say you're sorry. 

What's that from?  

Just now, Henry Ford said:

There is, unfortunately, not much new in reports that Clinton was involved in hiring legally-aged women specifically to sexually harass them.

But it's like his entire cabinet was in on the deal. 

5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

What's that from?  

It’s Woody’s quote about falling in love with his current wife/step daughter 

7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

What's that from?  

My ex-wife. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

1 minute ago, HellToupee said:

Pretty sure he was paraphrasing Debbie Reynolds.

Just now, HellToupee said:

Oh wow. We used to say that as a joke, but didn't know who had originally said it. We knew it was creepy and made it thus, but had no idea why. 

Huh. Our favorite was also imitating Clinton and saying in a Southern accent, "Kiss it. Kiss it again and again and again." 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rockaction said:

But it's like his entire cabinet was in on the deal. 

I don't think the timelines match up with that.

4 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I don't think the timelines match up with that.

No, they don't. You're right. Yet there are Summers, Stephanopolous, Berger, etc. 

I was sort of stunned, though I shouldn't have been. 

And I know Trump was certainly there, too, as were the overseas royals, etc.  

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

No, they don't. You're right. Yet there are Summers, Stephanopolous, Berger, etc. 

I was sort of stunned, though I shouldn't have been. 

And I know Trump was certainly there, too, as were the overseas royals, etc.  

It seems possible that people who were willing to work for Clinton late in his Presidency (after finding out he's a creepy sexual harasser) were the sort of people who asked for an introduction to Epstein.

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

It seems possible that people who were willing to work for Clinton late in his Presidency (after finding out he's a creepy sexual harasser) were the sort of people who asked for an introduction to Epstein.

Indeed, though George S. was there from very early on (his first press secretary) as was Berger. 

But I've dwelled on it too much. It just jumped out at me that it was a who's who of that time period, really.  

• Like 1

It's equally concerning that Steve Bannon, Tom Barrack (Trump advisor), Conrad Black (whom Trump pardoned), Flavio Briatore (Trump friend), Nikki Haskell (Trump's friend), Roger Schank (Trump University), Donald Trump, Ivana Trump, Ivanka Trump, and Melania Trump are listed.

Just now, Henry Ford said:

It's equally concerning that Steve Bannon, Tom Barrack (Trump advisor), Conrad Black (whom Trump pardoned), Flavio Briatore (Trump friend), Nikki Haskell (Trump's friend), Roger Schank (Trump University), Donald Trump, Ivana Trump, Ivanka Trump, and Melania Trump are listed.

Yes, they were all there, too. No doubt. But they've sort of flaunted stuff like that. The Clinton machine always tried to be above board and went after their accusers. Seems different, though it shouldn't. 

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

as were the overseas royals, etc.  

Interesting to see some of those that are on super thin ice and could be deposed immediately (all those European royals) and the one guy who is immune to it all, no matter what.

11 minutes ago, Sand said:

Interesting to see some of those that are on super thin ice and could be deposed immediately (all those European royals) and the one guy who is immune to it all, no matter what.

I can see the irony if the case is that an American president can't be deposed, but the former Empire we fought against could be under our laws. But I'm not sure I follow. Who is immune to deposition? Trump?  

Edited by rockaction