What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Way to Handle Negative Review / Feedback (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
I am self employed and have had my own company for 25 years. Never had an online review before positive or negative in all that time. A customer from over 2 years ago just left me a scathing review and a 1 star review. The issue is now if anyone does a search I show up as being a 1 star vendor (even though I have had thousands and thousands of customers).

What's the best way to handle negative feedback / reputation management for something like this? Respond to the negative review on line providing my side of the story (customer from hell that could not ever be satisfied)? Ignore it? I assume there is no way to get the review removed by Google.

IMO I would ignore it or post a simple "we are sorry you are not satisfied, please reach out to us and see if we can resolve it....yada yada."

I would also begin to ask your thousands of other customers to leave positive reviews. Not all at once, but over time so that the bad review gets crowded out. 

What type of business is it? Generally if its a good viable business and I only see 1 review that is very over the top negative, I usually assume its just someone who is very difficult to deal with or has an axe to grind with you. If I see multiple bad reviews all saying similar things, then I begin to worry about the service. 

edit: if they were a customer 2 years ago and just left a review now, thats odd. Can you reach out to them privately and ask why now they did this? 

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO I would ignore it or post a simple "we are sorry you are not satisfied, please reach out to us and see if we can resolve it....yada yada."

I would also begin to ask your thousands of other customers to leave positive reviews. Not all at once, but over time so that the bad review gets crowded out. 

What type of business is it? Generally if its a good viable business and I only see 1 review that is very over the top negative, I usually assume its just someone who is very difficult to deal with or has an axe to grind with you. If I see multiple bad reviews all saying similar things, then I begin to worry about the service. 

edit: if they were a customer 2 years ago and just left a review now, thats odd. Can you reach out to them privately and ask why now they did this? 
I am a professional resume writer / career counselor / job coach. The client enlisted me to develop career search materials, get trained on how to land a job, research companies and job opportunities, and network with people to generate leads. All that was on a time and materials basis not a contingency basis (ie, an hourly rate not a fixed price and not based on whether he got a new position).

I provided all the services listed above. I researched and identified potential employers that met his requirements, reached out to people I know in his industry, identified and forwarded posted opportunities that were available, and had folks interested in talking to him wanting to speak with him. However, he dropped the ball and did not respond to whatever I gave him for weeks if not months at a time, did not apply to the positions I had targeted, and never called the contacts I gave to him. This went on for 6 months and he constantly complained that he didn't have a new job yet. When the money he had paid me ran out, I said I would need more money to continue working with him and he declined.

As far as I know, he took absolutely no initiative to pursue any other job opportunities and did not apply for anything himself (as far as I know). I specifically told him I am not a recruiter or headhunter and I did not have open job reqs to fill and did not have companies calling me to find suitable candidates. He was well aware of what I did and that he would have to be an active participant.

Like I mentioned originally, this was two years ago. I had not heard anything from him since then.

What service is the review posted to?

Seems really strange in this age to be getting your first review after dealing with thousands of customers.

The first thing that you should do is to not respond in an angry/confrontational way.  Like the first poster said--you need to say something like "I'm sorry that you had a negative experience and would like to remedy the situation with you--please contact me and try to figure out what can be done to turn your negative experience into a positive one".  Secondly--it is strange that you only have 1 review--and you do need to generate more.  I'm not a fan or a believer in soliciting reviews but honestly--if you have that many clients--you do need to expand your portfolio of reviews.   Maybe remind some of your happy customers that you would be very grateful if they could briefly write a review detailing their experiences with you.   Some of my customers will often try to tip me--and I usually respond by saying "thank you--but I cannot accept tips--the best compliment you could ever give me is to write a review or tell a friend about us".  

Users who are viewing this thread