What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: Matt LaCosse, Retired (1 Viewer)

The Frankman

Footballguy
At Naperville North High School, LaCosse played football, basketball, and baseball, earning eight varsity letters. As quarterback, he led Naperville North to the Class 8A quarterfinals in his senior year. In his senior season, he recorded 1,218 rushing yards, 14 rushing touchdowns, 919 passing yards, and five passing touchdowns. He was named honorable mention All-State by the Chicago Tribune and was rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com. He initially gave an oral commitment to the University of Minnesota, but after their coach, Tim Brewster, was fired, LaCosse reconsidered and eventually chose Illinois.

As a true freshman in 2011, LaCosse played in 10 games for the Illini. He made one start that year. His debut came against South Dakota State. He caught his first career pass for 11 yards in a game at Minnesota. As a sophomore in 2012, LaCosse played in all 12 games at tight end and got playing time on special teams. He recorded three catches for 32 yards. One of his receptions was for a successful two-point conversion against Ohio State. LaCosse played in all 12 games and started nine of those games as the tight end in 2013. As a junior, he totaled 20 receptions for 237 yards. He ranked third on the team with three touchdown receptions. His season was highlighted by his career-high five receptions at Indiana. He also recorded three catches for 68 yards and two touchdowns against Miami (Ohio). He caught a two-point conversion pass against Southern Illinois. During his senior year at Illinois in 2014, he recorded 14 receptions for a total of 117 yards and three touchdowns. At the Illinois Pro Day, LaCosse ran his 40-yard dash in 4.64 seconds, and got 20 bench-press reps of 225 pounds.[

LaCosse went undrafted in the 2015 NFL Draft and was signed by the New York Giants afterwards. He was waived that August due to a hamstring injury. After signing with a Jets and being waivd by them (quickly), he was resigned by the Giants in November, and a month later LaCosse made his professional regular season debut and caught three passes for 22-yards during a 49-17 loss at the Minnesota Vikings in Week 16. He would finish his rookie year with that total. In 2016 he competed for the starting TE job with Larry Donnell and Will Tye but injured his knee in camp, and was waived. He was re-signed as a ERFA in 2017 and battled for the backup TE job with Will Tye, Jerell Adams, and Rhett Ellison. A preseason standout, Ben McAdoo remarked "He is a big target down there in the green zone [at 6'6]. Matchup-wise he gives you that length that you are looking for, he can run and he is a functional blocker. So he has a nice skill set.” He eventually was named the 4th TE and after minimal playing time he was released and placed on the practice squad. Denver signed him off of in December of that year. Fansided had this to say:

LaCosse checked in at the Illinois pro day at 6-foot-6, 257 pounds, which is very good size for a tight end, and he ran a 4.71 second 40-yard dash, with 20 bench press reps. Also very good numbers.

Athletically and physically, LaCosse is pretty much how you would draw up a tight end. He has the ability to play in-line but is definitely more the type of player you split out and create mismatches in the passing game with.

Perhaps the Broncos are seeking from LaCosse what they did not get from A.J. Derby in that regard.
During training camp, LaCosse competed against Austin Traylor, Jeff Heuerman, and Troy Fumagalli for the job as the primary backup tight end. Head coach Vance Joseph named LaCosse the third tight end on the depth chart to begin the regular season, behind Jeff Heuerman and Jake Butt. After they both suffered injuries knocking them out for the season LaCosse was elevated to be the starting TE. He got his first start on November 18th and caught his first touchdown last week vs. Pittsburgh.

He's a deeper league option to be sure, but this is a guy who could be a real sneaky player for teams in the fantasy playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
This pass offense sucks as long as Keenum is behind center and Joseph is calling the shots. 

I'll add him to my watch list but I'm not rushing onto my teams to grab him off FA. He has a pretty big hill to climb to relevancy for 2019

Sutton is their red zone target of the future

With Sutton really stalling in his quest to dominate targets, LaCosse steps into a matchup against Cincinnati’s 31st-ranked pass defense. Joseph has wanted to get the TE involved all year and we know Case Keenum likes targeting them. There are targets to be had and considering he should be on the field at least 70% of the time... why not give him a shot? Denver has the 8th friendliest TE schedule Weeks 14-16.

If he has a good game this weekend, I’m buying, but only for the playoffs.  Next season he’ll be back in irrelevant-land with Butt returning.
I’d agree with this but Butt is currently dealing with his 3rd ACL injury. There’s no knowing how he’ll come back from #3.  The TE situation is wide open in Denver. 

• Thanks
Reactions: -X-
I’d agree with this but Butt is currently dealing with his 3rd ACL injury. There’s no knowing how he’ll come back from #3.  The TE situation is wide open in Denver. 
Fair enough, as I really didn’t know the medical history of Butt.  It all depends how well LaCosse does and how the draft and free agency shake out.  Definitely worth a speculative add if you have a taxi squad in dynasty or are hurting for these playoffs.

I've reconsidered this guy for 2018. i think he's a great play for the next few weeks as Keenum has gotten more efficient and is using his TEs. dynasty wise this guy doesnt appeal to me too much. granted Butt has suffered his 3rd major injury, but this isnt stopping some people from getting excited for Rodney Anderson (Oklahoma) in rookie drafts. 

I'll ride him out for 2018 and see what happens in the offseason but I'm not terribly excited long term. 

:bag:

My second option was Burton who also is throwing up a goose egg.  Next year i'm drafting Kelce in the first round...

My second option was Burton who also is throwing up a goose egg.  Next year i'm drafting Kelce in the first round...
I waited on TE this year and the position killed me. Next year it's pretty much Kelce, Ertz, Kittle or bust.

I had thee same choice. Went with Burton over LaCosse. Missed out on LaCosse's zero only to take a zero from Burton.

The one slight positive with him is that he did play 80% of the snaps. A closer game and he might see more than one measly target, but can't trust him at this point in the fantasy playoffs.

Ugh. Do I pick him up with Sanders' leg falling off in practice today? 

I was able to grab Hooper. Debating now if I try for lacosse. I have a bye week I guess to mull it over... decisions decisions. 

Well, with the potential of E Sanders out for an achilles, LaCosse vs Hooper is my debate. 

Picking him up as a flyer... 

Well, with the potential of E Sanders out for an achilles, LaCosse vs Hooper is my debate. 

Picking him up as a flyer... 
Let me know what you decide. This is my debate as well. I also own Engram, but he's been a bum all year. I have a bye so I may see what happens week 14 before deciding week 15. 

Let me know what you decide. This is my debate as well. I also own Engram, but he's been a bum all year. I have a bye so I may see what happens week 14 before deciding week 15. 
WOW... I just checked Def Point allowed by TE....  in my league scoring (Full 1.0 PPR + bonus @ 50 yards for TE), SF is the #1 Hardest for TE while GB is #4 toughest....  neither are good matchups!   I might have to check into Balt M Andrews vs KC (#29) 

WOW... I just checked Def Point allowed by TE....  in my league scoring (Full 1.0 PPR + bonus @ 50 yards for TE), SF is the #1 Hardest for TE while GB is #4 toughest....  neither are good matchups!   I might have to check into Balt M Andrews vs KC (#29) 
Andrews has been real solid lately. I was worried Jackson wouldn't be good for him, but the last game he led the team. 

I have to think LaCosse's targets go up, but the more I think about it I'm not liking that goose egg I got last week... I'm not confident for the playoffs.

Andrews has a decent floor I think, but only if Jackson is playing. If Flacco starts then I think that's worse for Andrews

I have a bye so I will likely grab everyone and wait it out. Chances are I go with Hooper week 14 and take the high ceiling low floor play. 

@The Frankman - we need a thread title update on this one!
Whoops I forgot I actually made a thread... YOU WIN THIS ROUND FAUST, BUT THERE WILL BE OTHERS!!!!

It's funny how it took awhile but he now is in a situation where he could eat from a fantasy perspective. Unfortunately he's probably going to be overdrafted at this point now that Watson got popped for 4 games.

In early TE premium best ball drafts I've been in, Lacosse has been going in the 22+ rounds in the Josh Oliver, Blake Jarwin, Dawson Knox territory. Seems like a good roll of the dice in that area. Obviously can't expect Gronk level production, but I gotta think if he sticks on the roster he should have some productive games. They sure have a motley crew of TEs currently. What are the chances the Pats find a quality TE to add? Anyone of note available? Michael Roberts seemed like it could of been another speculative add like Lacosse, but the attempt to sign him I guess means they aren't settled at the position. I'm interested to see what the Pats do on offense this year. Kind of looks like it could be a run heavy team at this point.

People forget that there was life before Gronk in NE, and it wasn't exactly a fantasy treasure trove. Here was the team high in fantasy points (0 ppr) for a NE tight end each year from 2001 - 2009:

2001 - 37
2002 - 63
2003 - 65
2004 - 78
2005 - 68
2006 - 82
2007 - 76
2008 - 33
2009 - 70

IMO, the NE offense will become an amoeba and refocus to better utilize it's strengths. Their TE corps as currently constituted should not be considered a strength. Could one of the tight ends have a decent game once in a while? Of course. If that is the match up that NE feels they can best exploit, then that particular week they will look to exploit it. But I don't see a ton of weeks upcoming where they will use the TE position as a regular source of production. I think they will run and run often, continue with the short passing game, utilize White and the backs out of the backfield, and then strategically take shots downfield. It would not surprise me if they utilize their TE's more for pass protection than as targets in the passing game.

That being said, there are probably worse picks than taking a NE tight end in the later rounds of a best ball league. But without knowing what other players are available at that point in a draft, it's hard to really say if and when to take one. Ultimately, I think Ben Watson will end up doing ok (but not great), but one would guess he would get picked well before LaCosse.

Patriots beat writer Andrew Callahan believes TE Matt LaCosse is the "odds-on favorite" to replace Rob Gronkowski.

LaCosse even pulled in the play of the day during Friday's practice, per Callahan, as LaCosse hauled in an acrobatic catch in tight coverage. He continues to work with the first-team at this p0oint in training camp. There's a long way to go and the Patriots could add a more proven player to be their starter besides LaCosse, who has 27 career catches, but for now the new Patriot might be a nice value at his current ADP of TE31.

SOURCE: Mass Live

Jul 27, 2019, 9:35 AM ET

i'm avoiding because the situation is too murky. Watson is pretty damn good. Anderson got kind words from BB down the stretch last season and he's been getting nice reports in camp this year. LaCosse may be good but the situation is too, too early to get a read on.

Any new insight into the Patriots TE situation? LaCosse is listed as TE1 on the Pats website, not that that means anything.

Any new insight into the Patriots TE situation? LaCosse is listed as TE1 on the Pats website, not that that means anything.
Right now it means quite a bit since he’s the only move TE who’s 1. Healthy & 2. Not suspended. 

Whether they throw the ball to him or not is a different story. 

:shrug:

I claimed him for $1 in my dynasty league. Hoping for good things. 

The insight is I personally believe they have moved on in terms of how the offense flows. My reading the tea leaves is that the team will highlight their RB's, then their receivers, and the TE's will be used more to block I would not rule out NE bringing back Dwayne Allen at some point (he was released by MIA last week). This year, the Patriots rank #1 in the league in most dollars spent at the RB position . . . which is highly unusual for a BB coached team.

LaCosse is only listed as the #1 because Watson is suspended. I think the Patriots will continue to be a run heavy team, and any TE will fall after Edelman, White, Gordon, Thomas, Dorsett, and the other RBs (counted as 1) on the receiving tree and low down on the number of targets.

As I pointed out in other threads, the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls and played in another mostly ignoring the TE position.That changed with Gronk (and for a couple years Hernandez). But clearly TE is no longer a strength of the team. I would expect LaCosse and Watson (once he returns) might be used in certain situations where they feel they have a good mismatch or may have a planned game with a couple extra looks, but I would not expect much more than table scraps from the TE unit.

Dodds has the Patriots group of TE's in line for only one less reception this year and 2-3 more receiving TD's than last year when they DID have Gronk. Gordon (6'3", 225) and Thomas (6'3", 224) are over sized receivers. Once Harry comes back, he also has a big frame (6'2", 213). Even Jakobi Meyers is tall and long (6'2", 203). The point being, I think those guys take on some of the routes Gronk used to run. If a team devotes too many resources to covering other plays, Brady will have no qualms audibling to a seam route for a TE, but I don't see him locking in on a TE like he did with Gronk and throwing into double or triple coverage knowing that Gronk had a decent shot at coming down with the football.

:goodposting:

Without looking at the numbers, I think it's also worth noting that when they needed a catch most last year (especially late in the season) they lined Gronk out wide for coverage purposes. I don't see that happening with Lacosse or any other TE on the roster. Run more, pass to WR/RBs again, TE no longer sees priority targets... sounds right to me, as well.

:goodposting:

Without looking at the numbers, I think it's also worth noting that when they needed a catch most last year (especially late in the season) they lined Gronk out wide for coverage purposes. I don't see that happening with Lacosse or any other TE on the roster. Run more, pass to WR/RBs again, TE no longer sees priority targets... sounds right to me, as well.
Just as an addendum, a lot of places have been reporting the numbers from how things went in the past without Gronk playing. Brady's numbers dropped off a lot, but I think that is mostly a mirage and here's why. Gronk was one of Brady's preferred targets, and when Gronk would go down with an injury for several weeks, the offense really was not prepared to have to deal with one of their main weapons out and had to remap the offense on the fly. IMO, having had almost 6 months to move on from Gronk and working with the offensive skill players on the roster, I think McDaniels will have schemes in hand to account for no Gronk. So Brady might see slightly lower numbers than when Gronk played but nowhere near the huge drop off that the numbers without Gronk show.

I also reviewed the numbers for Edelman, who was the greatest beneficiary to having Gronk out. With a year and a half worth of game stats sans Gronk, Edelman averaged in the fantasy WR 5-7 range in PPR leagues. Tons of catches and yardage. White's numbers were almost identical with or without Gronk in the line up. Some places have been trying to make a big thing about Gordon's numbers without Gronk. In three games without RG, Gordon put up a 13-311-1 line.  The one TD was blown coverage and a missed tackle against the Packers that went for 55 yards. I am not ready to draw any conclusions for Gordon based on only three games.

Right now it means quite a bit since he’s the only move TE who’s 1. Healthy & 2. Not suspended. 

Whether they throw the ball to him or not is a different story. 

:shrug:

I claimed him for $1 in my dynasty league. Hoping for good things. 
Kinda my thought too. And in a start two TE dynasty, anyone who's gonna be on the field has a bunch of value.

Matt LaCosse (questionable, ankle) is not expected to play Week 1 against the Steelers.

LaCosse is still nursing a high-ankle sprain he suffered early in the preseason. This leaves the Patriots, who are already without Lance Kendricks and Ben Watson (both suspended), extremely thin at tight end. 2018 seventh-rounder Ryan Izzo could be in for heavy snaps against Pittsburgh.

RELATED: 

Ryan Izzo

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 8, 2019, 8:14 AM ET

Patriots TE Matt LaCosse opted out of the 2020 NFL season.

LaCosse battled knee and ankle injuries in 2019. He caught just 13 passes for 131 yards and a lone score. Ben Watson slowly edged him out as the starter and LaCosse was unable to make much of an impact by the end of the season. This sets up rookies Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene to both see the field starting from Week 1.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Aug 2, 2020, 1:12 PM ET

Patriots TE Matt LaCosse opted out of the 2020 NFL season.

LaCosse battled knee and ankle injuries in 2019. He caught just 13 passes for 131 yards and a lone score. Ben Watson slowly edged him out as the starter and LaCosse was unable to make much of an impact by the end of the season. This sets up rookies Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene to both see the field starting from Week 1.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Aug 2, 2020, 1:12 PM ET
Isn't he irrelevant for fantasy?

Patriots released TE Matt LaCosse.

With the Patriots adding Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry in free agency, LaCosse likely needed to beat out second-year tight end Devin Asiasi for a roster spot. At 28 years old and having little production to his name, LaCosse may struggle to find a team in the immediate future.
@The Frankman, thread title-

... crap

Matt LaCosse announced his retirement from the NFL after seven seasons.

LaCosse joined the NFL as a UDFA in 2015. He spent time on both New York rosters without making much of an impact before landing with the Broncos. In 2017, he appeared in all but one game for Denver, logging 250 yards on 24 catches while also contributing as a blocker and on special teams. He would play a similar role for New England the next year before opting out of the 2020 season. LaCosse ends his career with 40 catches for 402 yards and two scores. 

- James Palmer, Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread