What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PSA- The Choking Game (1 Viewer)

El Floppo

Footballguy
wish this was about something funnier, but afraid not.

just got an email from my youngest's elementary principal, sent to the entire school community about an on-line challenge called "The Choking Game". the game involves people either choking themselves or others until they pass out. principal says they're not going to discuss it with the kids as they don't want to expose them to it- but sent email out as a preventative measure, and leaving discussion to the parents.

a middle-school aged alum from our school died over thanksgiving weekend, which prompted the email.

:(

hug yo kids. and make sure they understand the dangers out there...  :(  

This has been happening for a few years.  About 3 years ago a student in my son's class died while trying to self-choke himself.  

Pretty stupid. I remember when kids were doing this when I was a kid back in the 80's.  I was like, "#### no".
I remember kids doing this at recess in 7th grade. It started when a few kids realized that they felt lightheaded after spinning around on the merry-go-round. So then they would intentionally spin themselves around until they fainted. Then a few other kids realized that you could get a similar effect by hanging upside down for several minutes and then running around in a circle until you collapsed. Then a few of the more daring kids decided to see what would happen if they intentionally choked themselves. One of those kids ended up doing meth the next year and spent most of high school in and out of rehab.

First games where they ingest laundry detergent and now they choke themselves/each other until the brink of death? Good god this is disturbing. Scary that even kids are desensitized to a point where even the games the play are extreme.  I don’t plan on ever having kids but good lord do I respect parents that do a good job raising theirs in the world today.

A long time ago, a good friend of mine's ex killed himself during auto-erotic asphyxiation. 

The challenge thing on the internet, and having kids involved is the scary thing to me.

The slut/whitedevil thread got me talking to my 11yo about the permanence and dangers of hateful texts or messages. This story reinforces the importance of teaching your kids how to handle their life online... and obviously off.

First games where they ingest laundry detergent and now they choke themselves/each other until the brink of death? Good god this is disturbing. Scary that even kids are desensitized to a point where even the games the play are extreme.  I don’t plan on ever having kids but good lord do I respect parents that do a good job raising theirs in the world today.
This really is not anything new. Going back to the 70s kids were sniffing airplane glue and other extremely dangerous chemicals. Parents have to pay attention, no matter what the era.

PSA

kids have been stupid for centuries

Users who are viewing this thread