What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

100K for 30 days of complete darkness? (1 Viewer)

Cjw_55106

Footballguy
To win $100,000, pro poker player Rich Alati doesn’t have to go all-in, he just can’t come out of a dark bathroom for 30 days.

Alati made the $100k bet with Australian pro Rory Young after the two were talking at a table about how long it was possible to remain in a dark room with no human interaction.

Surprisingly, Alati stated that he could stay in the dark room – with facilities and food – for 30 days. Young then bet him $100k that he couldn’t.

On November 21, Alati entered the room in an “undisclosed location somewhere in Las Vegas” on November 21 and he is still inside, according to PocketFives.

In the room, Alati has a toilet, shower, refrigerator, and a bed as well as supplies like sliced fruit, almond milk, cereal, and Pop Tarts. He is also getting meals delivered to him, but not on a regular basis so his sense of time is altered.

“The conditions are complete darkness, so no electronics, no light-emitting devices, no drugs of any kind,” said Young. “He is allowed any type of food that he wants. He has a bed in there, he has a shower and a bathtub. He has pretty lavish toiletries like Epsom salts, sugar scrubs, that kind of stuff.”

On a private feed which is accessible to Alati’s family, friends, and a few others, a broadcast of the room which is being captured by five night-vision cameras is streaming the entire bet.

Young and Alati are hopeful to turn it into a reality show if there is enough interest.

“I’m a firm believer in that there are two consenting adults and if it doesn’t do any harm to a third party, then it’s morally justifiable,” said Young. “I don’t have any hangups about the ethical side of this. I think it’s different if it was a freeroll. I think I can have some ethical concerns there. I have a bit of concern for his eyesight, but we’re taking all of the necessary conditions.”

According to Young, another pro player has already contacted him about doing a similar version of the challenge, but stricter, for $1 million.

http://www.realclearlife.com/sports/a-pro-poker-player-is-staying-in-a-dark-bathroom-for-30-days-on-a-100k-bet/

At 16 years old I contracted spinal meningitis.  The treatment at the time, which included many spinal taps to remove fluid and to reduce pressure in the spine and the base of the brain was to be in a low stimulation environment, very low light, no sound, except for that made by the nursing visits and the spinal taps.  That was my existence for 30 days.  My parents tell me the experience changed my personality.

I came out of it with no noticeable damage or disabilities.  Unlike many of the few who survive this I did not lose my eyesight, hearing, or any appendages or organs.  I do wonder now, years later, if residual effects of the episode are responsible for some health concerns now.

According to Young, another pro player has already contacted him about doing a similar version of the challenge, but stricter, for $1 million.
I heard this was Huck Seed and he was willing to go 40 days, with only water for the first 21 days. I think he’s broke at this point. 

I wouldn't last a week and would probably crack after a couple days.  WTF are you supposed to do while in there?

I wouldn't last a week and would probably crack after a couple days.  WTF are you supposed to do while in there?
Can't jack off unless you want your friends and family watching you. Plus it would ruin any kind of basic cable reality show possibilities.

I'm assuming it's not complete blackness.  Complete would drive most people insane after a few days I'm assuming.

I'm assuming it's not complete blackness.  Complete would drive most people insane after a few days I'm assuming.
Blind people handle it well enough.  I think I *could* do it, but I wouldn't for 100k.  I agree that my problem would be boredom.

At 16 years old I contracted spinal meningitis.  The treatment at the time, which included many spinal taps to remove fluid and to reduce pressure in the spine and the base of the brain was to be in a low stimulation environment, very low light, no sound, except for that made by the nursing visits and the spinal taps.  That was my existence for 30 days.  My parents tell me the experience changed my personality.

I came out of it with no noticeable damage or disabilities.  Unlike many of the few who survive this I did not lose my eyesight, hearing, or any appendages or organs.  I do wonder now, years later, if residual effects of the episode are responsible for some health concerns now.
Damn dude, that’s serious! Glad you made it through ok. Have you heard the song Spinal Meningitis by Ween? 

I would absolutely give it a shot.

I think I would want some kind of exercise equipment. I wonder how he orders his food?  Can he have a musical instrument or audio shows/books?

Can't jack off unless you want your friends and family watching you. Plus it would ruin any kind of basic cable reality show possibilities.
I mean at some point he's just going to say F it and start cranking.  What else is he going to do to pass the time?

I would absolutely give it a shot.

I think I would want some kind of exercise equipment. I wonder how he orders his food?  Can he have a musical instrument or audio shows/books?
When you say “give it a shot” realize this is a bet, not a free roll. 

Not sure about the instrument, but he can’t have any electronics , so the audio books would be out. 

Not sure about the instrument, but he can’t have any electronics , so the audio books would be out. 
Yeah the no electronics would put it over the top for me.  Something as simple as a radio would make this from being virtually impossible to very doable.  Especially with them screwing with him with the irregular feeding times. 

I could do this, especially since it is being recorded. I would work on a novel I have been wanting to start for a long time and just speak it, to be transcribed later. 

I mean at some point he's just going to say F it and start cranking.  What else is he going to do to pass the time?
Not only that, but $100K to go 30 days without that would be harder than the rest of the challenge. 

I could do this, especially since it is being recorded. I would work on a novel I have been wanting to start for a long time and just speak it, to be transcribed later. 
I would also work on the non fiction book that is his current reality. Get paid twice that way

Sorry, yes, I would do it.  Give me some dumbbells to workout with and an acoustic guitar and I would survive it.

At some point the food would stop being delivered.

He'd figure it was a trick by his buddy trying to get him to lose the bet.

Finally, after being sure it had been at least 30 days, and after waiting and waiting for someone to come get him and not wanting to leave early and lose the bet, he'd come out.

The hotel room would be dark and silent. 

The flowers in the vase in the room would be dried and wilted.

With growing trepidation, he'd open the room door to find the hallway floor littered with debris: clothes, overturned service cart, papers... 

The overhead lights would be dim and flickering, and down at the far end of the hallway it would look like there was a mannequin laying on the floor.

It would be kinda like this...

Give me an itty-bitty night light, a dozen books and some paper and I’d do it for 10K. Without those, I think I’d pass.

I love my alone time as much as anyone but I think any of you that say you can do this no problem are bat #### crazy.
Yep.  I love being alone, but I love being alone so I can read, play video games, run, and screw around on the internet.  I wouldn't be able to do any of those things under the terms of the bet.

$100K doesn't seem like near enough to attempt this.  I would need life-changing money, like $5M or more, and no financial downside if I couldn't pull it off, to even consider it.

I guess you could get a decent idea of the passage of time by counting your meals and bowel movements.  Certainly huge margins for error but maybe within a week or so by the end.

I guess you could get a decent idea of the passage of time by counting your meals and bowel movements.  Certainly huge margins for error but maybe within a week or so by the end.
I'm pretty sure the meals will be delivered at different times to intentionally keep you out of the loop on what time/day/week it is.

30 days with no contact with anyone else and no responsibilities at all?

I don’t know where I’ll get the 100k, but I’ll try really hard if you’ll keep a spot open for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread