What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should teachers be required to tell their students the same lies their parents do (Santa, etc)? (1 Viewer)

I think it's a generally agreed-upon social contract that you do indulge in myth and wonder when it comes to children, but I'm not sure that it's legally or morally a fireable offense. Bad facts make bad law at times. Ruining myth and wonder is a serious thing that should be thought about and indulged in seriously; especially for first-graders. That's just wrong. I question her judgment, frankly, but I'm still not sure. Sometimes wisdom trumps a bit of truth. These are little white lies that get forgotten about in time and everyone pretty much just goes about life instead of being traumatized.  

Yeah, I’m torn on the answers to direct questions about leprechauns, but when a kid writes something saying Santa is real flat out telling the class Santa isn’t real seems a touch... odd for a first grade teacher. 

But then, like, what if you have a Jewish kid in the class and everyone’s saying Santa doesn’t visit Jews because they’re all naughty or something?

This is why I don’t teach first grade. 

But then, like, what if you have a Jewish kid in the class and everyone’s saying Santa doesn’t visit Jews because they’re all naughty or something?

No one would ever say that unless they're an #######.

No one would ever say that unless they're an #######.
You would be surprised by what kids say about others who are different than them

Having said that, I teach 8th grade. By the time they get to me, I was under the impression they all knew. One year I said something and immediately regretted it afterwards on the iff chance anyone in there still believed. 

You would be surprised by what kids say about others who are different than them

Having said that, I teach 8th grade. By the time they get to me, I was under the impression they all knew. One year I said something and immediately regretted it afterwards on the iff chance anyone in there still believed. 
:lmao:  in eighth grade?

Required? No. But it's an unwritten rule imo and what kind of **** likes to ruin kids fantasy and imagination?
:goodposting:

I think the only exception to this would be if the whole class was already questioning it, or if some kids were bullying the one kid who believed. But even then, a good teacher would find a way to address the situation without actually saying "SANTA ISN'T REAL!"

Of course. How is this even a question?
Well, partially because we have a crisis of people thinking teachers and other experts are unreliable liars in this country and partially because lots of people tell their kids lots of different lies. 

Then you tell him don't worry about being Jewish because there is no God, either.

Well, partially because we have a crisis of people thinking teachers and other experts are unreliable liars in this country and partially because lots of people tell their kids lots of different lies. 
Leave it to the parents. It’s being a creep to tell any kid that isn’t yours anything. 

Creationist teacher tried telling my kid that the earth was 6000 years old and that people lived at the same time as dinosaurs.   

I’m discussing the point of the thread. You know what I meant. 
Okay, and I’m on board with that.  Where’s the line, though? Easter bunny? 1/4 of the class doesn’t believe in Easter. Earth is only 6000 years old? Interferes a touch with science class. Medicine is the tool of the devil? Vaccines are unnatural?

Just trying to figure out where the line should be.  

My wife is a speech language pathologist and does some work in the mornings with daycares. If they ask, the answer is “what have your parents told you” followed by more conversation about what they said. You talk to a kid that young for more than 10 seconds and they’ll forget the original question soon enough. 

This lady was just being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. 

Also this story really angers me. Everyone is so angstsy all the time about everything, why can’t you let kid be kids just for a little bit before they learn about all the f’ed up stuff they’re going to deal with in the future. I don’t even have kids, but there’s something endearing about having and innocent and curious view about the world. 

My wife is a speech language pathologist and does some work in the mornings with daycares. If they ask, the answer is “what have your parents told you” followed by more conversation about what they said. You talk to a kid that young for more than 10 seconds and they’ll forget the original question soon enough. 

This lady was just being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. 
:goodposting:

I don’t think it’s that hard. Generally acknowledge Santa Claus and politely just steer any conversation away from exclusivity and religion. Obviously be positive about Santa but be positive if a child doesn’t get a visit from Santa as well. 

I don’t think it’s that hard. Generally acknowledge Santa Claus and politely just steer any conversation away from exclusivity and religion. Obviously be positive about Santa but be positive if a child doesn’t get a visit from Santa as well. 
Don’t be silly.  How can you make not getting a visit from Santa a positive? I want a visit from Santa. 

Users who are viewing this thread