What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benny Snell Jr - The Snail King ***Official Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
Hes been phenomenal this year(and his entire Kentucky career). 

5'11 222 pounds. Slow 40

Let's talk about this guys potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's also a very skilled pass-catcher. Something the league seems to be valuing faaaaar more in their RBs that in the past. 

I hope he plays in his bowl game.  He has bell cow potential, cat catch the ball, and is great between the tackles very good vision..  He doesn't have long speed but has plenty enough short speed to run outside.

It's been a pleasure watching him re-write all the rushing records for UK in three years.  Little iffy about his pro potential.  He's not real shifty, but packs a mean punch and has a great attitude.  Hopefully he doesn't get thrown out of this year's bowl game.

I can't imagine he won't play in the Citrus Bowl.  He loves the fans and the U and they love him.

It's been a pleasure watching him re-write all the rushing records for UK in three years.  Little iffy about his pro potential.  He's not real shifty, but packs a mean punch and has a great attitude.  Hopefully he doesn't get thrown out of this year's bowl game.

I can't imagine he won't play in the Citrus Bowl.  He loves the fans and the U and they love him.
Ky could be without Allen and Snell.

Kentucky junior RB Benny Snell rushed 26 times for 144 yards and two touchdowns in Tuesday's 27-24 bowl win over Penn State.

Snell (5'11/223) grinded out a victory for the Wildcats, and it's another productive game for the NFL prospect. As a junior, Snell rushed for a career-high 1,449 yards (5.0 YPC) along with 16 touchdowns. The Day 2 prospect exits as Kentucky's all-time career rushing leader, and he's got an electric personality that elevates his teammates. His physicality and willingness as a pass-blocker give him an outside chance at earning a late first-round pick. Let's see how he does at the NFL Combine.

Jan 1 - 4:46 PM

It will be interesting to see how he grades out at the combine.  He is a hard runner that is fun to watch.

I’ll have to watch some more video of him but to me he seems like a “stop gap” RB for an NFL team. A guy that can succeed with a feature workload since he’s a hard tough runner, but a guy that will eventually get replaced by a more talented back. He just doesn’t have great speed or agility to be a long term feature back - he would need to land in the right spot.

I’ll have to watch some more video of him but to me he seems like a “stop gap” RB for an NFL team. A guy that can succeed with a feature workload since he’s a hard tough runner, but a guy that will eventually get replaced by a more talented back. He just doesn’t have great speed or agility to be a long term feature back - he would need to land in the right spot.
He has enough speed and you're definitely wrong about lack or agility.  He has agility to give.  Just watch how he jumps over and around defenders.  Add that with his ability to gain yards after contact and vision between the tackles and you have a very good RB.

watching him a bit I see a rb who can be food, not great in the NFL. but it depends where he lands. If he lands in KC hes an immediate starter and potential rb1. Miami and I'm probably avoiding

watching him a bit I see a rb who can be food, not great in the NFL. but it depends where he lands. If he lands in KC hes an immediate starter and potential rb1. Miami and I'm probably avoiding
I know what you meant, but I couldn’t help picturing Zeke’s “feed me” gesture here, and imagining poor Benny being devoured by hungrier players....

He has enough speed and you're definitely wrong about lack or agility.  He has agility to give.  Just watch how he jumps over and around defenders.  Add that with his ability to gain yards after contact and vision between the tackles and you have a very good RB.
It's possible, I'm wrong. It's happened before. I think he could be a good but not great NFL runner.

Hope he goes to a team like Dallas or ARI so I can cross him off the list.
This is where I'm at too. The more I look into several of these players in the 19 class the more I hope I can just ignore Snell. Chances are, unless he goes to the best 1 or 2 RB situations in the NFL, I won't be in a position to draft him 

I sure as hell don't.
He's a very good back. I think he's better than a guy like Howard in CHI but if he goes to a team that refuses to use him correctly, what do ya do? I know you can say that about just about everyone but he doesn't have much in the way of receiving experience. Gotta have that in today's NFL. He'd be rock solid in NFL circa1975.

Benny Snell - RB -  Wildcats

The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranks Kentucky RB Benny Snell as the seventh best running back in the class.

Snell was sensational in his time with Kentucky, and his 1,449 yards and 16 touchdowns as a junior helped the Wildcats win 10 games that includes a Citrus Bowl victory over Penn State. Brugler notes that Snell has quality vision along with prototypical size for the position (5'11/223), and that he "runs with attitude and determination." His concerns for Snell come from his athleticism -- or possibly lack thereof -- and that he doesn't have great "burst." Brugler believes he would be drafted higher in the "1995" version of the NFL, but his ability to take a hit and stay durable still makes him a valuable NFL draft prospect.

Source: The Athletic 

Jan 30 - 7:47 PM

Ruh-Roh

Johnny won't be pleased
It’s not like I had him #1.  I have him as the sixth best RB, possibly 5th because of Rodney Anderson’s injuries the last 3 years.  I currently have him going early 2nd in dynasty drafts 

Benny Snell - RB -  Wildcats

Kentucky RB Benny Snell led the SEC in missed tackles forced with 46.

Snell (5'11/223) was a monster this season, rushing for 1,449 yards and 16 touchdowns as a junior. He isn't currently being viewed as a top back in the draft though as the Athletic's Dane Brugler has him ranked as the No. 7 running back in this draft class. Despite putting up a lot of counting stats in college, Brugler is largely concerned about his athleticism. Snell will likely be selected sometime on Day 2.

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter 

Feb 3 - 2:06 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller mocked Kentucky RB Benny Snell to the end of Round 4.

Snell (5'11/223) is teetering on the Day 2/3 borderline, and we'll have a better feel for his landing spot after the 2019 NFL Combine. The Athletic's Dane Brugler has his worries about Snell's athleticism despite a ton of rushing production. Snell enters the combine with three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, but he already has 737 carries under his belt.

Source: Bleacher Report 

Feb 8 - 8:58 PM

Kentucky RB Benny Snell measured in at 5-foot-10 and 3/8-inch and 224-pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine on Wednesday.

That's basically the same height/weight that Snell was listed at when he was at Kentucky (5'11/223). The Kentucky star also measured in with 9 3/8-inch hands, and 31-inch arm length. The measurements were never a concern with Snell; the questions come with his straight-line speed. He's currently viewed by most analysts as an early Day 3 selection; meaning the fourth or fifth round.

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Feb 27, 2019, 11:18 AM

Kentucky RB Benny Snell ran the 40-yard dash in 4.66 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

That's a pretty slow time, even for a running back who weighs 224 pounds, but that was expected. Snell was an effective, workhorse running back at Kentucky, but his advanced on-field measurables show a running back with less juice than your typical NFL runner. However, Snell still could find a role in the NFL as a short-yardage or early-down runner. Snell will likely be selected near the Day 2/3 turn.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 1, 2019, 4:19 PM

4.66. I think Corey Clement ran about the same

Not interested unless I grab him round 3

All you have to watch is the last drive by Ky when everyone in the stadium knows Snell is getting the ball and Penn St knows it too and  they can't stop him and they need a stop to get the ball back.  That's all you need to know.  If you don't watch that game watch the last drive by Ky to keep the ball from Penn St.

Hes a good college RB. One of the true pounders of this draft. not really a bell cow after looking at him further. he is slower than I thought hed be... a lot slower. That scares me away. 

Hes a great NFL RB a few decades ago, but the game today won't make him worth more than a bench stash. Maybe he gets a good opportunity some day.

You could do worse in your rookie 2nd round. I'd feel comfortable taking him near the end, but I'd be feeling like I was throwing my pick away tbh

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein compared Kentucky RB Benny Snell to David Cobb.

"Try-hard running back who can wear down defenses," an area scout told Zierlein. "He had a role at Kentucky and filled it." Snell was a star for the Wildcats in his three years, and Zierlein writes that the 5-foot-11, 223-pound tailback has "Subtleties in footwork [that] increase efficiency as a runner." He projects Snell to go in the 5th-to-6th round, but it wouldn't be a huge shock if he went higher if someone falls in love with his production.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 5, 2019, 2:49 PM

Steelers selected Kentucky RB Benny Snell with the No. 122 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Snell (5’10/224) went pro as a true junior after making 26 starts for the Wildcats, logging a career 737/3,873/48 (5.3 YPC) rushing line with 29/216/0 (7.4 YPR) receiving and leading all SEC running backs in missed tackles forced (45) in 2018. Snell’s yards after contact per carry declined each season at UK (4.04 > 3.36 > 3.23), however, and he bombed the Combine with a 4.66 forty and 29 ½-inch vertical as part of lowly ninth-percentile SPARQ results. Neither a high-level athlete nor a proven pass catcher, Snell’s odds are long to carve out more than a big-back committee role.

Apr 27, 2019, 11:09 AM

I find Snell to be a fascinating inside downhill runner. He's pretty good and its clear the Steelers like him. If Conner goes down he can be a league winner.

Benny Snell compiled just 26 yards on 13 carries while adding two catches for 25 yards on three targets in Friday’s preseason opener against the Buccaneers.

His lone highlight came on a 20-yard catch-and-run during the third quarter. Snell didn’t show much explosiveness in his Steelers debut, averaging a paltry two yards per carry with a long run of five yards. Simply put, he just didn’t make many defenders miss. The 21-year-old put up huge counting stats at Kentucky but was exposed during the Combine, testing as a ninth-percentile SPARQ athlete. A plodder with 4.66 wheels, Snell profiles as a low-wattage power back in the mold of Jordan Howard or Alfred Morris. He doesn’t pose much of a threat to James Conner or Jaylen Samuels.

Aug 9, 2019, 11:13 PM ET

That’s what Benny Snell does,” Benny Snell said. “He finishes runs.”

🤣🤣🤣
For two yards a carry. 

I know it’s only one game, but he is digging a deeper hole after his poor combine performance and the continued praise of Samuels. 

Users who are viewing this thread