What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benny Snell Jr - The Snail King ***Official Thread*** (1 Viewer)

As a Kentuckian, I’ve never loved his pro prospects.  

He’s a very tough/strong runner.  At the collegiate level, that was enough. He is however slow and not a home run threat.  

In the NFL against a league full of grown men, his size and strength aren’t the advantage they were in college.

Dr. Dan said:
Not betting anyone but you guys make up your mind about a player after one preseason game?  Perhaps neither has an impact in the NFL for all I know.  I do like Snell, but perhaps that's because I liked him as a college player and we all know the many busts over the years.  Both Snell and Sanders could be a bust, or one or the other could have an average or better NFL career.  It's not like we know that answer right now.  Sanders is supposed to have the higher pedigree but that doesn't mean squat right now.  I guess I shouldn't judge Sanders on that one bowl game, just as you or anyone else shouldn't judge Snell on one preseason game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not betting anyone but you guys make up your mind about a player after one preseason game?  Perhaps neither has an impact in the NFL for all I know.  I do like Snell, but perhaps that's because I liked him as a college player and we all know the many busts over the years.  Both Snell and Sanders could be a bust, or one or the other could have an average or better NFL career.  It's not like we know that answer right now.  Sanders is supposed to have the higher pedigree but that doesn't mean squat right now.  I guess I shouldn't judge Sanders on that one bowl game, just as you or anyone else shouldn't judge Snell on one preseason game.
But he looked really bad... 

(dynastyleaguefootball) Pittsburgh rookie running back, Benny Snell, is clearly on the roster bubble

Analysis: Some have him being left off the 53-man roster while others believe he will squeak on due to his play on special teams. The selection will come down to one of Snell, Trey Edmunds or Malik Williams for the final spot and none have shown much dynamic during the pre-season, but head coach Mike Tomlin has praised Snell's work on special teams which could make all the difference. James Conner is clearly on top of the depth chart with Jaylen Samuels in no danger as the RB2. Snell finished the pre-season vs. Carolina with an uninspiring eight carries for 12 yards doing little to make Tomlin's decision easier. Of the three, while on the bubble, Snell should get the nod based on his rookie label. We'll know more soon. Until then, Snell carries a very tenuous RB63 ranking on DLF's running back rankings.

“He’s just got to continue the upward trajectory of what he’s shown us to this point,” said Tomlin, “and I’ll be really specific: He made a kickoff team tackle in the first preseason game, and he made a significant tackle on the punt team in the second preseason game. Notice I’m talking about things other than the things you would naturally measure Benny Snell in regards to, because he’s trying to get on the football team and carve out a role for himself. He’ll probably cover a punt or a kickoff for us before he carries the football, and that’s just the reality of it.”

Didn't like the pick when it was made (I wanted a TE) but way to early to say he's a bust. He needs to lost a bit of weight IMO...get down to about 215

Looked good on his first run against the Seahawks.   If Conner is out for an extended period of time, what kind of usage is reasonable to expect?   

Came here to discuss him in case Conner misses.  Looks like the siutation is the same as it was 2-3 weeks ago.  

Came here to discuss him in case Conner misses.  Looks like the siutation is the same as it was 2-3 weeks ago.  
Not quite.   With Samuels out Snell is bound to get some snaps although I expect Conner will still get 80-90% of the carries.   That said if you're looking for Conner's handcuff it is Snell now cause Samuels won't be back for a month or more.

Not quite.   With Samuels out Snell is bound to get some snaps although I expect Conner will still get 80-90% of the carries.   That said if you're looking for Conner's handcuff it is Snell now cause Samuels won't be back for a month or more.
The post was from the week prior with Conner's ankle issue or whatever it was.  Agree with you that with Samuels out, Snell becomes the handcuff--and one I'm interested in having. 

Benny Snell rushed 17 times for 75 yards in the Steelers' Week 6 win over the Chargers, adding one reception for 14 additional yards.

Snell worked well behind James Conner until the Steelers’ featured RB was sidelined with a quad injury at the end of the third quarter. Snell ultimately finished with 29 snaps and received most of his work while up multiple touchdowns in the fourth quarter. The rookie largely got what was there and plowed forward for extra yards more often than not. Any RB carries fantasy value with 15-plus touches, but it's unlikely we see Snell get this involved in the offense if Conner is ready to go against the Dolphins in Week 8 following their Week 7 bye.

Forgot the Steelers were on bye next week.  Conner's gonna have plenty of time to get healthy

Bumping Benny Snell for any updates. Seems like he's getting some love regardless if James Connor - quad is a full go? 

Perhaps I'm seeing Snell as a decent play on MNF against MIA as well. Like he may have to be a Flex or a RB 2 with all these injuries, etc.

Might not be too bad?

Bumping Benny Snell for any updates. Seems like he's getting some love regardless if James Connor - quad is a full go? 

Perhaps I'm seeing Snell as a decent play on MNF against MIA as well. Like he may have to be a Flex or a RB 2 with all these injuries, etc.

Might not be too bad?
Game score might want him in there late against a pretty bad run defense.

earlier this year backup RB's were feasting on Miami.... but lately miami has been more competitive... was hoping to here some news on conner today... since he wasnt even mentioned in the tomlin presser im guessing he must be good to go for monday

Game score might want him in there late against a pretty bad run defense.
You're right Leroy, gets enough work in the first half and mop up duty to end the game. Connor gets his work in. Snell has a decent floor and a decent ceiling, which is RB 2 level 12-15 points with a score.

PITTSBURGH wins 34-20. Survivor pick of the week. 

I used to have Leroy Hoard's football card somewhere. I do have Jim Browns. 

Conner has taken a lot of abuse. I feel like Snell is bound to get some opportunity these next few weeks. 

Snell makes for a great upside play for this week -- and possible next.

But Samuels is starting to practice again, and I think once he's back I think he regains his pre-injury value and relegates Snell back to the bench.

Sucks that PIT plays Monday Night.  Snell likely on the waiver wire in short bench leagues, but if Conner is a full-go, Snell's usage will be totally dependent on the score.  Unless you are desperate for a flex, can you really wait until Monday Night to plug him in?

Sucks that PIT plays Monday Night.  Snell likely on the waiver wire in short bench leagues, but if Conner is a full-go, Snell's usage will be totally dependent on the score.  Unless you are desperate for a flex, can you really wait until Monday Night to plug him in?
I have no choice with Kamara banged up, ingram and Zeke on byes. The bye weeks always get dicey at RB

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he's "excited about the potential return" of Benny Snell (knee).

Snell's health will be evaluated in practice throughout the week. The Steelers would welcome him back with open arms if healthy since the team's currently fighting through injuries to James Conner (shoulder), JuJu Smith-Schuster (concussion, knee), and Diontae Johnson (concussion) on offense. Jaylen Samuels would still work ahead of Snell as the Steelers' clear-cut No. 1 back if both are active.

SOURCE: Gerry Dulac on Twitter

Nov 19, 2019, 12:18 PM ET

I agree Snell will be given a shot to be the early down back but I'm not sure how much he'll be used this week coming off the knee injury.  He's worth a stash for sure because the Steelers have a very easy schedule against run defenses moving forward.  Given the injuries at WR, M. Rudolph is the QB and the Steelers D is very good, they may lean more heavily on the run and without Conner Snell is probably their best "runner".

Another caveat for this week is that Samuels was used as the wildcat QB a bunch the last time the Steelers and Bengals played and Tomlin was asked about it in his presser - he said the Bengals present some schematic stuff that lends itself to being attacked by the wild cat.  Wouldn't surprise me if the use it again a little bit this week.  Also wouldn't surprise me if they don't use it at all because Tomlin said that :lol:  

Users who are viewing this thread