What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tips on going to the Rose Bowl and parade (1 Viewer)

Mad Cow

Welshers and Dawdlers Beware!
With OSU headed that way,  we have the opportunity to check off two bucket list items.  Wife to the parade and me to the game.   Would love to have thoughts all about both.   Where to stay, eat,  best way to get there,  where to watch the parade,  etc.  I know tickets go on sale Tuesday morning,  so I'll be on that at then.

Where to stay depends on whether you're making an "LA vacation" out of it, in which case I'd stay out by the beach in Santa Monica or find a place in Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo area.  That's a haul to get to Pasadena on the 1st, though.  Alternative and more central would be Hollywood or downtown by Staples.

If you're just focused on the parade and game, then stay in Pasadena or Glendale.  The last two times I've stayed in the Embassy Suites in Glendale, it's right off the freeway and walking distance to a few bars and restaurants.  Old Town Pasadena is a pretty cool area to check out, lots of shops, bars, and restaurants.

I've never done the parade as one year I flew down that morning and drove straight to the game and the last two times I've thrown the tailgate, so can't help you there.  

If you do stay near Pasadena and wherever you are flying from has reasonable flights to Burbank, do that.  Super small and easy airport, or the exact opposite of LAX.

If you're willing to spend the money it can be a lot of fun and a lot easier to get around if you stay in Pasadena. The area gets pretty congested for that time around the parade an game. Being close takes some of the stress and frustration off of that.

For the parade, the "50 yard line" seat is 14 S Orange Grove. This is right at the beginning of the parade and where TV broadcasts from. The opening and closing shows will take place right in front of the grandstand.  All the bands, floats, horses are at peek form at that point to look their best for the TV audience. Additionally that grandstand has a VIP component with complementary programs, coffee and doughnuts.  A close second is being at 414-450 West Colorado. This right after the parade comes around a big turn so it is slowed down a bit and the large local LA TV broadcaster broadcasts from there.

For the Game my guess is only high row end zone seats will be available on Tuesday. If you just want to be there that is great but you may want something a little better. Sections 15-H through 22-L and 1H - 8L are seats with seat backs. The end zone sections are benches. It is nice to have the seat back and not be squeezed butt to butt on the bench. Also  you don't want to be too low. Lettered Rows and rows 1-10 are too low.  You wont be able to see the field well. There are also some decent organized tailgate parties.

I pretty knowledgeable about the parade, game and Pasadena. Feel free to DM me with any questions you may have.

If you're willing to spend the money it can be a lot of fun and a lot easier to get around if you stay in Pasadena. The area gets pretty congested for that time around the parade an game. Being close takes some of the stress and frustration off of that.

For the parade, the "50 yard line" seat is 14 S Orange Grove. This is right at the beginning of the parade and where TV broadcasts from. The opening and closing shows will take place right in front of the grandstand.  All the bands, floats, horses are at peek form at that point to look their best for the TV audience. Additionally that grandstand has a VIP component with complementary programs, coffee and doughnuts.  A close second is being at 414-450 West Colorado. This right after the parade comes around a big turn so it is slowed down a bit and the large local LA TV broadcaster broadcasts from there.

For the Game my guess is only high row end zone seats will be available on Tuesday. If you just want to be there that is great but you may want something a little better. Sections 15-H through 22-L and 1H - 8L are seats with seat backs. The end zone sections are benches. It is nice to have the seat back and not be squeezed butt to butt on the bench. Also  you don't want to be too low. Lettered Rows and rows 1-10 are too low.  You wont be able to see the field well. There are also some decent organized tailgate parties.

I pretty knowledgeable about the parade, game and Pasadena. Feel free to DM me with any questions you may have.
Look at This Guy.

Thank you.  I will take a look.  When would we need to get there to get a decent spot to watch?

Also if we wanted to get a day of Disneyland in, would you stay closer to Pasadena, or towards Orange County?  Maybe even switch hotels?

Mad Cow said:
Thank you.  I will take a look.  When would we need to get there to get a decent spot to watch?
A large portion of the parade route is reserved seating in bleachers. There are spots where you can stand and watch. People start setting up and saving spots at noon the day before the parade.

Everyone has their own preferences and comfort level with how to do things. If you want to have an enjoyable time at the parade I would spend the money and get a seat. This place is the official seller of parade seats http://www.sharpseating.com/index.php Most of the good seats are sold out. You can call them for more option than are available on line. You can also buy parade tickets on StubHub and other resale sites. They also sell parking for the Parade and Game via shuttle if you buy seats there.

Mad Cow said:
Also if we wanted to get a day of Disneyland in, would you stay closer to Pasadena, or towards Orange County?  Maybe even switch hotels?

As I said up the thread I think you will enjoy the parade and game more if you stay around Pasadena. Just less stress getting around and getting to stuff. It is going to be about an hourish drive to get to Disneyland from there. The parade starts at 8 AM so you'll need to get there early. For Disneyland I would recommend getting there as the park opens as the crowds are the thinnest then and you can do more earlier in the day. So if you stay one place or the other you are getting up really early to get there. 

You could stay somewhere in between and split the difference but there aren't a ton of good options in between.  I would probably book separate hotels for each leg of the trip.

As I said up the thread I think you will enjoy the parade and game more if you stay around Pasadena. Just less stress getting around and getting to stuff. It is going to be about an hourish drive to get to Disneyland from there. The parade starts at 8 AM so you'll need to get there early. For Disneyland I would recommend getting there as the park opens as the crowds are the thinnest then and you can do more earlier in the day. So if you stay one place or the other you are getting up really early to get there. 

You could stay somewhere in between and split the difference but there aren't a ton of good options in between.  I would probably book separate hotels for each leg of the trip.
Leaning that way.  We have extensive Disneyland experience, so are good there.  Just no Pasadena knowledge.  Thank you very much!

Leaning that way.  We have extensive Disneyland experience, so are good there.  Just no Pasadena knowledge.  Thank you very much!
After you a general plan let me know and I can give you some suggestions for food, entertainment and game related activities.

After you a general plan let me know and I can give you some suggestions for food, entertainment and game related activities.
Awesome, thank you.  Assuming we get tickets tomorrow, I am going to get grand stand tickets to take some of the stress away.  Looks like there are 5 areas.  Are of of them ones to stay away from?  Want to make sure my wife gets a good view so I don't hear any of that Do Over crap because she couldn't see. ;)

Awesome, thank you.  Assuming we get tickets tomorrow, I am going to get grand stand tickets to take some of the stress away.  Looks like there are 5 areas.  Are of of them ones to stay away from?  Want to make sure my wife gets a good view so I don't hear any of that Do Over crap because she couldn't see. ;)
The closer you are to the front of the parade the better. So area 1 is the best. It is also closer to the stadium so it will be easier to get to the game from there. the walk to the stadium isn't too bad from there but it is down hill.  So going back is up hill. Buy parade parking. It will be a mad house and having that situated will be very helpful.

GOt in line at Ticketmaster, and knew it would be crazy.  Tickets there sold out before I had a shot, but I jumped to Prime Sports and grabbed 2 seats on row 48 with backs, (sec 21H) and access to a hospitality area for a lot less than worse tickets on StubHub.  Officially GOING!  Now the parade, hotels and flights.

If you're watching a parade, don't follow it. It never changes. If the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction. You will fast-forward the parade.

Looks like we will be driving down, get there Sunday afternoon.  Have a room at a Comfort Inn halfway between the parade/Rose Bowl and Universal Studios.  Looks like we will do Universal on Monday.  We have done Disney a ton and know that will be an absolute zoo NYE.  Any ideas for Sunday afternoon/evening and restaurants in the area are appreciated.

Looks like we will be driving down, get there Sunday afternoon.  Have a room at a Comfort Inn halfway between the parade/Rose Bowl and Universal Studios.  Looks like we will do Universal on Monday.  We have done Disney a ton and know that will be an absolute zoo NYE.  Any ideas for Sunday afternoon/evening and restaurants in the area are appreciated.
Also interested in suggestions for what time we need to leave from the hotel?  Want to make sure we get there in plenty of time.  We have the all day parking pass that we bought with the grandstand tickets.

Users who are viewing this thread