What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB David Montgomery, DET (2 Viewers)

True but they should not have been in the position to kick the winning FG in the first place.  Two brutal turnovers by Trubisky when they had the game.
Ok fine. But they shouldn't have kicked FGs earlier in the game when they should've scored TDs. Awful play calling. 

Trubisky had his issues for sure but when the game was on the line he did what he was supposed to and gave them another chance. 

I dont

I drafted him, haven’t started him since wk 1 and probably won’t next wk just because he looked good today
How many good games would he need to have to regain your confidence?

You drafted him. I assume there are reasons why you liked him.

The coaching and utilization hasn't been helping him be successful and perhaps that is changing now.

It is baffling that the Bears are struggling to get back to what they were last season. They should have just kept Jordan Howard and focused on improving their offensive line.

The Bear's offense isn't good enough yet for me to trust Montgomery.  I still really like him but I don't trust Nagy and the OL.  I never know if they are going to focus on the run or pass it over 50 times.  The team is such a mess right now.

How many good games would he need to have to regain your confidence?

You drafted him. I assume there are reasons why you liked him.

The coaching and utilization hasn't been helping him be successful and perhaps that is changing now.

It is baffling that the Bears are struggling to get back to what they were last season. They should have just kept Jordan Howard and focused on improving their offensive line.
Tough question to answer, but definitely more than 1.

The Bear's offense isn't good enough yet for me to trust Montgomery.  I still really like him but I don't trust Nagy and the OL.  I never know if they are going to focus on the run or pass it over 50 times.  The team is such a mess right now.
This pretty well nails it.  Montgomery still has a lot to overcome (OL, Nagy, Trubisky, his own shortcomings with speed/elusiveness). 

Seems like any of those could conspire against him again at any moment.

This pretty well nails it.  Montgomery still has a lot to overcome (OL, Nagy, Trubisky, his own shortcomings with speed/elusiveness). 

I still love what he offers the team.  He's a great receiver and he breaks tackles better than most.  He's great at getting those extra yards.

So you guys are not ready to anoint him Sweetness 2 after yesterday's game? 

I agree with Hawkeye that I don't trust Nagy's game plans which probably make Monty an inconsistent FF starter moving forward. I think Nagy has a good offensive mind but without the QB he needs to run his offense he is doomed to fail. The offense needs balance to make up for this glaring weakness which also has the benefit of taking pressure off the QB - he needs to adjust to his personnel.  I hope his ego has come back down to earth and he stops trying to outsmart everybody because he doesn't appear to have a franchise QB and needs to run his offense accordingly.  If he does this than maybe Monty will be an every week starter.  

nice game for Monty! I'm a Bears fan and we all pretty much knew they were gonna run it a ton after last week's #### show. Lot of I-formation too. And not to take anything away from Monty, but that Chargers run D is truly horrendous, Mebane out definitely didn't help.

Here's a still of his 55 yard run.

https://imgur.com/a/qLG82Ns

Just traded for this kid in my main league from a tanking 2-6 team.  Haven't followed him much but he looks like the real deal based on highlights I have seen. My other main RB is Sony, so I am used to watching a plodder, David seems hyper electric and fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
davearm said:

agreed. and STILL the Bears are averaging about 17 ppg since week 8 last season. they're just not getting it done offensively. I dropped him 2 weeks ago not looking back, as mentioned I don't think he has those shortcmings figured out, and probably never will. h eplayed against a really bad run defense, you'd EXPECT him to produce like this. 

Nagy cannot help himself, he has to be apoplectic at this pt - I run Monty 27x and we still lose!!. they're just as likely to go back to the cutesies and the pre-snap mega motions and 2 yard dumpoffs to the small guy than they are to actually running the ball.

pbandy1 said:
nice game for Monty! I'm a Bears fan and we all pretty much knew they were gonna run it a ton after last week's #### show. Lot of I-formation too. And not to take anything away from Monty, but that Chargers run D is truly horrendous, Mebane out definitely didn't help.

Here's a still of his 55 yard run.

https://imgur.com/a/qLG82Ns
I thought this run was his best display of his skills.

Here's the 55 yard run. #26 wasn't making any progress and it took #23 a while to close the very small gap. He's currently got more carries over 20 yards than Zeke. I'm not saying he's fast, but his top speed has been overstated as an issue.

While his 2019 production will remain shaky for reasons well discussed in here, I still think his long-term outlook is positive. 

You’re welcome everyone. I traded Montgomery last Sat, which is of course why he got 25+ touches and played exactly like the stud RB I thought I’d drafted in the 6th round.

my trading him away ensures he’ll be top 8 ROS. Congratulations to everyone who held on your pending championships.

:doh:  

Fantasy fallout: Signs of life for David Montgomery, rookie RBs

Excerpt:

Montgomery: The Bears finally got to see Montgomery’s potential in Week 8, Jeff Dickerson wrote, when the former Iowa State back ran 27 times for 135 yards and a touchdown.

As Dickerson noted, the Bears have been a pass-first offense under coach Matt Nagy. But that offense clearly had not been working, and “desperate times call for radical changes.” The Bears opened last Sunday's game against the Chargers in the I-formation, which wasn’t even in Nagy’s playbook before that week.

Montgomery’s 56 snaps and four catches were season highs.

“The only thing that held Montgomery back was Chicago’s playcalling,” Dickerson said of the third-round draft pick. “As long as Nagy commits to running the ball with Montgomery, he ought to be a highly productive fantasy player.”

When asked if he thinks Nagy will make that commitment, Dickerson said, “I don’t think he has any other choice.”

David Montgomery rushed 14 times for 40 yards and two scores, adding three catches for 36 yards in Chicago's Week 9 loss to the Eagles.

He was the lone bright spot for Chicago as Mitchell Trubisky tanked Allen Robinson's (1/6) outlook in a juicy matchup. Montgomery totaled a single rushing yard and rode the pine for the Bears' first opportunity inside the five-yard line in the first half but punched his first score in during the third quarter when Trubisky was stuffed at the 1 on a scramble. His second touchdown occurred after Tarik Cohen was knocked out of bounds next to the pylon. Having handled 48-of-62 backfield touches in Chicago's last two games, Montgomery is arguably making his case as an opportunity-based RB2 over the second half of the season. He'll be a Top 20 play at his position in Week 10 against the Lions.

Nov 3, 2019, 5:17 PM ET

MIke Davis has been released so it is very clear that Montgomery is going to be a locked in 15-25 touch guy from here out. 

I can’t find it anymore but thought I read he has more carries inside the 5 than any other RB in the league as well. 
According to data dominator, he's tied for second:

Dalvin - 18 for 6 TDs
Montgomery - 13 for 5 TDs
CMC - 13 for 6
Michel - 12 for 5
Aaron Jones - 12 for 8  :shock:

Coach Matt Nagy said RB David Montgomery "lightly rolled" an ankle in Wednesday's practice.

Montgomery should be considered questionable for Sunday night's matchup against the Rams. The injury and road matchup against the Rams' third-ranked defense in rush DVOA isn't ideal, but continue to treat Montgomery as a low-end RB2 based on volume alone if active. Only Dalvin Cook (86 touches since Week 8), Christian McCaffrey (71), Nick Chubb (67) and Chris Carson (66) have been featured more than Montgomery (65) over the past three weeks.

SOURCE: Brad Biggs on Twitter.

Nov 14, 2019, 1:01 PM ET

David Montgomery (ankle) was officially "DNP" on Thursday.

Coach Matt Nagy said Montgomery "lightly rolled" his ankle Wednesday, but it's not a good sign that it was too tender to practice on one day later. We would consider Montgomery on the wrong side of questionable for Sunday evening's game against the Rams, though even a "limited" day on Friday would put Montgomery back on track to suit up. If Montgomery can't go, the Bears will be down to second-year UDFA Ryan Nall behind Tarik Cohen.

SOURCE: Rich Campbell on Twitter

Nov 14, 2019, 5:11 PM ET

David Montgomery (questionable, ankle) remains a game-time decision for Week 11 against the Rams.

Essentially nothing has changed on the Montgomery front as the rookie's availability for Sunday night's game in Los Angeles remains a mystery. Montgomery closed the week with a limited practice, an encouraging sign after he was a non-participant at Thursday's session. He'll be in play as a volume-based RB2 if active, though obviously fantasy owners need to have a contingency plan ready.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 17, 2019, 8:16 AM ET

Ugh. Of course it’s a Monday night game. What’s everyone else doing?

Ive got Ballage, DJ, Sony, and Guice i could swap him out for, but they’re all early games. 

leaning ballage based on matchup and guaranteed workload 

Ugh. Of course it’s a Monday night game. What’s everyone else doing?

Ive got Ballage, DJ, Sony, and Guice i could swap him out for, but they’re all early games. 

leaning ballage based on matchup and guaranteed workload 
Fwiw, it’s tonight

I have Darrell Henderson at the end of my bench in case of emergency 

Don't have any players after the 4pm games so going with D Parker over him. Other option is L Murray but already using Kamara.

I had to drop breida in my short bench league and was able to snag cohen, if he sits,, cohen goes in, if he's active I guess I am starting him...

Cautiously optimistic for a good night. I think it's going to be an ugly defensive struggle. I'm saying 15 for 65 and 2/12. Coinflip chance of a TD.

Trying to figure out if I play him or Damien Williams Monday. Have a small lead, just need an average game. 

Nevermind, that 49ers TD just likely sealed it up for me 

David Montgomery rushed 14 times for 34 yards and caught 1-of-3 targets for 19 yards in Week 11 against the Rams.

Montgomery was a game-time decision after missing most of the practice week with an ankle injury. Tarik Cohen got the start, but Montgomery saw the same amount of touches and played around half the snaps. Montgomery wasn’t effective with his carries, averaging 2.2 YPC with a long run of five yards. He didn’t look 100 percent but finished the game without setbacks. Montgomery is still getting volume despite his recent struggles. He’s an RB2 for a plus Week 12 matchup with the Giants.

Nov 17, 2019, 11:29 PM ET

read this on Twitter... Currently there are two RBs averaging fewer yards after contact per attempt than David Montgomery: 

David Johnson and...

Kalen Ballage.

That's not good company. Keep in mind yards after contact is not indicative of line play or the offense as a whole, it is entirely on the RB. My assessment still rings true in my opinion... he doesn't have the burst to get away, and while he trucked people in college, those dudes are nothing compared to NFL size.

Not really. He’s no better than Malcolm Brown. I’m comfortable with saying he’s a more agile version of Benjarvis Green-Ellis at this point. He could get a few decent seasons on volume but they essentially traded Jordan Howard for slower Jordan Howard with better hands.

I deeply question whether you’ve ever actually watched a football game before. 

Have a nice day. 
How’s Benjarvis Green-Montgomery doing?

I’m going to have a chat with Monty and ask him to get back on track. We need one or 2 more big weeks from him. 

Users who are viewing this thread