What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yahoo Strategy: Owners with a playoff BYE in week 14 (1 Viewer)

oddsbodkins

Footballguy
Bench all of your players. In Yahoo, you can drop anyone that doesn't start so if one of your starters is badly injured, you can drop them whenever and pick up a free agent. Stupid loophole but may as well take advantage of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bench all of your players. In Yahoo, you can drop anyone that doesn't start so if one of your starters is badly injured, you can drop them whenever and pick up a free agent. Stupid loophole but may as well take advantage of it.
The stupid loophole isn't the ability to drop a player on your bench, it's having your league set up where FAs don't move to waivers when their game starts. I mean I guess you could pick up an FA from a later start but I'm not seeing the crazy awesome "loophole" here. Also, I assume you mean the fantasy team has a bye since the players obviously don't.

The stupid loophole isn't the ability to drop a player on your bench, it's having your league set up where FAs don't move to waivers when their game starts. Also, I assume you mean the fantasy team has a bye since the players obviously don't.
Even if players move to waivers once the game starts, you cannot drop a player if he's in your SL. If he's on the bench though, you can immediately drop him and pick up anyone else playing later. And yes to your second point... edited title for clarity.

The stupid loophole isn't the ability to drop a player on your bench, it's having your league set up where FAs don't move to waivers when their game starts. I mean I guess you could pick up an FA from a later start but I'm not seeing the crazy awesome "loophole" here. Also, I assume you mean the fantasy team has a bye since the players obviously don't.
Let's say you you have your stud WR playing at 1:00 on Sunday. He pulls an AJ Green in the first quarter and is clearly going to be out for the season. You would be able to drop him right away and pick up, say, Josh Reynolds (who is playing Sunday night).

Yes, it's a fairly narrow loophole, and dumb that it exists at all, but @oddsbodkins is right that you should do it just to be safe.

Even if players move to waivers once the game starts, you cannot drop a player if he's in your SL. If he's on the bench though, you can immediately drop him and pick up anyone else playing later. And yes to your second point... edited title for clarity.
I guess every advantage is an advantage. That said, I don't think it's the sort of thing I would take action to prevent. If total points matter at all in your league that alone might be a sufficient incentive to offset it.

I'm not dropping anyone who I typically start, so why would I need to bench them to make them eligible to drop during my bye?'

Unless one of them suffers a season ending injury. And even in that case, would it matter? I'm likely toast. Someone available on the FA pool week 14 isn't going to save my season. That's what I have a bench for (Ware, Lockett, Trequon Smith)

This is my leagues first year on Yahoo and this stupid loophole for being able to drop players on your bench has been such a PITA.

That being said, how do those that use Yahoo handle a 7 team playoff to allow for a team on BYE? The default settings don't show this as an option and Yahoo responded to me back in Oct absolutely dumbfounded at the idea of having a 7 team playoff. 

Is the only way to handle this to bench all of the players of the 8th seed?

This is my leagues first year on Yahoo and this stupid loophole for being able to drop players on your bench has been such a PITA.

That being said, how do those that use Yahoo handle a 7 team playoff to allow for a team on BYE? The default settings don't show this as an option and Yahoo responded to me way back in the day absolutely dumbfounded at the idea of having a 7 team playoff. 

Yeah... me too... why would you have 7 playoff teams? 

I guess if you want to do this that badly you would do as you suggest in your last sentence. 

Yeah... me too... why would you have 7 playoff teams? 

I guess if you want to do this that badly you would do as you suggest in your last sentence. 
1st round BYE for the team that finishes 1st overall

That being said, how do those that use Yahoo handle a 7 team playoff to allow for a team on BYE? The default settings don't show this as an option and Yahoo responded to me way back in the day absolutely dumbfounded at the idea of having a 7 team playoff. 

I think you're well outside the scope of the "template" Yahoo provides. You would have to "jack knife" a solution like you described.

Also don't see why dropping players is an issue, it's the other half of the transaction (the add) that is relevant. If it's really that big of a PITA you could have all players switched to waivers at the start of the first game. To me that cure is worse than the disease but it would certainly "stop" the problem.

habsfan said:
Also don't see why dropping players is an issue, it's the other half of the transaction (the add) that is relevant. If it's really that big of a PITA you could have all players switched to waivers at the start of the first game. To me that cure is worse than the disease but it would certainly "stop" the problem.
Our league moved over from ESPN which has a 7 team playoff and didn't allow for player drops after a team has played. I've only had to reverse transactions a few times this year, I just don't like that I have to police the logs every weekend. This was the first time I had ever seen the ability to allow for player drops after their team had played.

Our league moved over from ESPN which has a 7 team playoff and didn't allow for player drops after a team has played. I've only had to reverse transactions a few times this year, I just don't like that I have to police the logs every weekend. This was the first time I had ever seen the ability to allow for player drops after their team had played.
Can you help me understand the problem of a player being dropped who will not affect any team's scoring for that week in any way?

eNdblu said:
1st round BYE for the team that finishes 1st overall

Isn't the easy solution to set it up as an 8-team playoff but let the 8 seed know that he can't advance and have them put in a weak lineup?  So round 1, #1 gets a bye, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, and 4 plays 5.  

Can you help me understand the problem of a player being dropped who will not affect any team's scoring for that week in any way?
I'm sure there are lots of pros to being able to drop a player on your bench. It's the first time ever I've come across it in my 15+ years of fantasy football so it feels wrong to me haha.

Isn't the easy solution to set it up as an 8-team playoff but let the 8 seed know that he can't advance and have them put in a weak lineup?  So round 1, #1 gets a bye, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, and 4 plays 5.  
I'll just re-iterate to my league for our 8th seed to bench all their players. We have a toilet bowl prize to award half the league fee back to the top scorer of weeks 14-16 not playing week 15/16, so I'll just have to manually track their lineup submission for week 14.

I'm sure there are lots of pros to being able to drop a player on your bench. It's the first time ever I've come across it in my 15+ years of fantasy football so it feels wrong to me haha.
I understand how easy it is to disappear down the rabbit hole of "policing" things but my advice would be to take a step back and see if you really, truly need to be doing all this stuff. If you are manually reversing player transactions, it's just as likely you are crossing a line as they are. Just my two cents... 

The problem is you allow a team to hoard players and utilize more than the roster max for the week. If my roster size is 13 and I drop someone after they play for someone else, then I've used 14 players. 

The Rams are playing Thursday night so I grab John Kelly off waivers in case Gurley gets hurt.

He doesn't, so after the game I cut Kelly for Jaylen Samuels, because Pitt plays at 1PM Sunday. 

Conner makes it through unharmed, so around 3:55PM I cut Samuels and grab Rod Smith for the Cowboy game at 4PM. 

When Elliott survives, I pick up Spencer Ware in case Hunt goes down in the Sunday night game...

Hopefully you can see how this can be abused to greatly maximize my chances of having the right injury handcuff.  Especially if not everyone in the league can sit at their computer Sunday making shuffles of lottery tickets all afternoon.

I'll just re-iterate to my league for our 8th seed to bench all their players. We have a toilet bowl prize to award half the league fee back to the top scorer of weeks 14-16 not playing week 15/16, so I'll just have to manually track their lineup submission for week 14.
Why do they have to bench all their players?  Can't you just be clear that the #1 vs #8 matchup is not a game and that the #1 seed has a bye and is moving on no matter what?  Then the #8 seed can set their lineup and all their points count for your tie break.  Then if the #8 seed does score more than the #1 seed you just go in an adjust the playoff week #2 matchups to put in the #1 seed?

Why do they have to bench all their players?  Can't you just be clear that the #1 vs #8 matchup is not a game and that the #1 seed has a bye and is moving on no matter what?  Then the #8 seed can set their lineup and all their points count for your tie break.  Then if the #8 seed does score more than the #1 seed you just go in an adjust the playoff week #2 matchups to put in the #1 seed?
Am I able to manually override the outcome? I've never had to tinker w/ playoff matchups before haha. I'm a Noob with Yahoo :)

Am I able to manually override the outcome? I've never had to tinker w/ playoff matchups before haha. I'm a Noob with Yahoo :)
I don't know for sure but I would assume so.  I haven't used Yahoo but I know you can on ESPN.  I would assume the Commish should have the ability to adjust those types of things. 

Also lets them rest up of the semis in week 15

I'm not dropping anyone who I typically start, so why would I need to bench them to make them eligible to drop during my bye?'

Unless one of them suffers a season ending injury. And even in that case, would it matter? I'm likely toast. Someone available on the FA pool week 14 isn't going to save my season. That's what I have a bench for (Ware, Lockett, Trequon Smith)
Well, the majority of the point of why you would do this is to react quickly in case injury happens -- while I agree that you are less likely to find someone on the wire clearly better than the players you are already starting, there may be a use case where another player you are starting has a reliable floor but not a high standard deviation in performance, where another wire option may have a lower floor but has much higher upside (given match up, predictive game flow, etc.).

And of course, being able to mitigate injury with next BPA without waiting on waivers running and losing out to a team with better priority can actually be a season-saving move in that it fills a slot affected by injury with a guy that can best continue your playoff run.

Users who are viewing this thread