What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Outgoing republicans brazenly stealing power from incoming Democrats. Enemies of Democracy. (1 Viewer)

Oh lord.

My own brother beats this drum like Gene Krupa on meth.   He gets it from the talk radio honks.

He honestly believes that I only vote the way the CTA tells me.
Mine does the same. Thanksgiving was quite a treat for us since I came out of the closet as a Democrat. I think he nearly stroked out right on the spot.

GOP lost seats but still will hold majority. Michigan is gerrymandered beyond belief. For example, in 2014 GOP got 50% of State House votes and won 71% of the seats, GOP got 48% of the House votes and 57% of the House seats. They are a part of a large federal lawsuit starting in February related to their gerrymandering conspiracy. There are emails plain as day saying the district lines need to adjusted to protect Republican seats. IMO this story should be as big as any Trump related story. 
Do you have any decent articles you've read on this?  I'd be interested to read up on it. 

I would like to welcome our new Republican overlords to Wisconsin. It’s nice to have you here. Thank you for saving us from... (fill in blank here)

Thought about it some. If I was incoming governor I think I'd use every technical trick in the bag to screw these guys hard. I'd fire every last one of their friends in various state offices. Everything. If they want scorched earth them by golly give it to them. 

Thought about it some. If I was incoming governor I think I'd use every technical trick in the bag to screw these guys hard. I'd fire every last one of their friends in various state offices. Everything. If they want scorched earth them by golly give it to them. 
I get it but where does it end then? 

Vos is trying to portray the Wisconsin vote as a way to make this more balanced between the different levels of state government, the problem being they waited until AFTER they lost the governorship to make this move.  He also stated he understands the risk involved when they get a republican governor and they haven o power, but guess what, they will push along a vote to allow the governor all the power the Walker had.  It will become a madening cycle of BS.  The scary part is people eat this stuff up and buy it hook line and sinker.

I tried to find any commentary from Charlie Sykes, who was a Milwaukee Conservative radio host, to see what his thoughts were about this power grab, but I cant seem to find anything.  He left his radio gig as Trump was getting his presidential bis, Sykes could see the direction of the republican party and didn't like it.  But he is friends with the whole group of this mess, Walker, Vos, Ryan, Priebus, etc. 

Tough balance. You want to do the go high road but then you are forced into assymetrical political warfare. 
Interesting choice of words, considering a piece in today's Atlantic. I'm not sure I'm fully on board with the hypothesis of this one but it's an interesting one. Basically, Dems can't have a Trump equivalent because 43% of white people are Democrats and Dem candidates have to walk gently in their internal politics or risk alienating that crucial liberal/moderate white base. Whereas the battle lines are drawn much more clearly with Repubbies. They're lily-white, happy with the racial hierarchy as it stands and will suffer no electoral penalty with their base by demonizing opposing minority candidates.

It's fun to think about and has a grain a truth but I think it ignores that the current GOP takes this a little too far and routinely shoots itself in the foot with a big chunk of the overall electorate. They've gone so far right now that an ever growing part of the white demographic won't vote for them for any reason.

The hyperbole of what exactly? 
🤣🤣 Seriously?  I need to explain how "brazenly stealing power" and "Enemies of Democracy" are a hyperbole?  I read that and I wondered what highly illegal and unmoral things those evil people were doing....and it turns out there were a bunch of duly-elected representatives passing a law which the OP does not like.  🤣

You are an educated grown man, surely you can see the headline is a tad bit extreme.  

:shrug:

Brazenly - bold and shameless. The "duly-elected representatives" passed a law several years ago, and now that they are no longer in power of one branch of the government, they are looking to scale back the very law they passed. If that is not bold and shameless, I am unsure what is.

:shrug:

Brazenly - bold and shameless. The "duly-elected representatives" passed a law several years ago, and now that they are no longer in power of one branch of the government, they are looking to scale back the very law they passed. If that is not bold and shameless, I am unsure what is.
What exactly is the stealing part?  The adjectives are just non-sense.  What are they doing illegal?  

Dirty politics <> fascism.  I would agree with jon that the hyperbole on this is ridiculous.
#14, with a little of #13 mixed in.  And of course plenty of #10 already in Wisconsin.

In any event, the question was about whether the title of the thread was accurate. Which of course it is. This is a shameless power grab that exploits loopholes in and problems with our system- specifically, lame duck sessions and the fact that the GOP base at the moment cares less about American values than conservative values.  The shameless power grab directly contradicts the recently and clearly expressed will of the people. 

It is telling that the best defense our most committed party line conservatives have mustered thus far is “this is hyperbole, it’s not that bad” and “it’s not technically illegal.” 

What exactly is the stealing part?  The adjectives are just non-sense.  What are they doing illegal?  
They’re stealing power and authority, obviously.  

Is your argument here that that the word “stealing” only applies to illegal activity? Like if an announcer says “the defender just stole the ball right out from under him!” do you get upset and submit a complaint to ESPN?

Jon, come on. I know you like to be the counterweight in many of these issues and I appreciate that. Let's not act like legal is the same as fair or moral or right. There was nothing illegal about GOP in Michigan Congress granting Republicans twice the budget than Democrats get, yet it is was objectively unfair and against the principles of our government. Even if we focus on the legality, there is serious concern the GOP in Michigan have been breaking the law. The Courts are going to settle the legality of many of these decisions. It sure likes like the Michigan gerrymandering was illegal. 

Are you ok with the people voting on a proposal and the legislature than altering the parameters of what people thought they voted on? Are you ok with the legislature adopting a proposal so that it is removed from the ballot and then changing it a month later in a lame duck session? Is that the spirit of Democracy?

They’re stealing power and authority, obviously.  

Is your argument here that that the word “stealing” only applies to illegal activity? Like if an announcer says “the defender just stole the ball right out from under him!” do you get upset and submit a complaint to ESPN?
What they have done/are doing might prove to be violations. The Courts will handle much of this. GOP just recently lost a huge case involving taking millions of dollars from public unions illegally. I had thousands of dollars tied up in escrow for several years while the case played out. 

I'm inching closer to believing anyone and everyone who votes Republican is an idiot who can be ridiculed and ignored, or a traitor to the country. 
Or maybe some are very wealthy and dont care about the well being of jerks that brand them as traitors? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jon, come on. I know you like to be the counterweight in many of these issues and I appreciate that. Let's not act like legal is the same as fair or moral or right. There was nothing illegal about GOP in Michigan Congress granting Republicans twice the budget than Democrats get, yet it is was objectively unfair and against the principles of our government. Even if we focus on the legality, there is serious concern the GOP in Michigan have been breaking the law. The Courts are going to settle the legality of many of these decisions. It sure likes like the Michigan gerrymandering was illegal. 

Are you ok with the people voting on a proposal and the legislature than altering the parameters of what people thought they voted on? Are you ok with the legislature adopting a proposal so that it is removed from the ballot and then changing it a month later in a lame duck session? Is that the spirit of Democracy?
Not sure what stuff in Michigan has to do with an article posted about Wisconsin.  I read the article the OP linked to and did not see anything alarming.  

Or maybe some are very wealthy and dont care about the well being of jerks that brand them as traitors? 
I’m not sure that necessarily means they’re not traitors.  But just for the sake of completion @Hilts should have probably included “wealthy people who are remarkably selfish and devoid of empathy” on the list.

Not sure what stuff in Michigan has to do with an article posted about Wisconsin.  I read the article the OP linked to and did not see anything alarming.  
I have tried to make sure the thread is about MI. I do not know nearly as much as WI but the MI stuff is bad. Please read up on it here. Aren't you from Michigan???

The OP needs to edit this thing to reflect what is going on @Jackstraw

The courts hopefully ovet turn it all.....like they did in NC...however it gumms the process up....anyone actually think the gop would play fair after getting trounced? I said it once and ill say it again...ill never vote gop for anything ever again

Anyone justifying what happened in Wisconsin today is simply bat#### crazy and needs no respect given to them at any time. I didn't hear Belling's justification today on the radio (I think he told his tale during the 3pm - 4pm hour) but what I did hear him say is ludicrous. Simply put, his justification was, "It's not bad. The Republicans could have done so much more like XYZ. They didn't even weaken the positions because XYZ."

If that allows him to sleep better at night, fine, but what Republicans are saying now is clear bull#### from 2010. A joke this surely is.

Got an email about one of the gop proposed bills, not sure how which one it is or where it is at in the proces- I need to look at it more but it requires all public emplyoyees including teachers, police and firefighters who use $25k of health insurance in a year to submit their medical record to their employer.

I have tried to make sure the thread is about MI. I do not know nearly as much as WI but the MI stuff is bad. Please read up on it here. Aren't you from Michigan???

Perhaps you should start a thread and explain the issue better in the OP.  This one just sounds kookie. 

Can’t believe I’m going to agree with jon and Jonessed on this one but ...yeah it sounds like hyperbole to me. 

First off, at least in Wisconsin, it sounds like they’re removing powers of the governor that were only given to Scott Walker a few years back- which means that the new governor will be as powerful as he was in...2011. Perhaps the real crime was increasing Walker’s powers in the first place. What they’re doing now is shameful and hypocritical, but a threat to our democratic system? Not so much. 

As for voter supression, it’s awful, but it’s also a plan that’s doomed to fail. The GOP has got a big problem here: they’re not attracting new voters. Rather than trying to truly address it, they’re pulling shenanigans like voter suppression and gerrymandering. These aren’t solutions. 

Perhaps you should start a thread and explain the issue better in the OP.  This one just sounds kookie. 
Just read through this thread. It is all here. Are you not a Michigan resident?

Can’t believe I’m going to agree with jon and Jonessed on this one but ...yeah it sounds like hyperbole to me. 

First off, at least in Wisconsin, it sounds like they’re removing powers of the governor that were only given to Scott Walker a few years back- which means that the new governor will be as powerful as he was in...2011. Perhaps the real crime was increasing Walker’s powers in the first place. What they’re doing now is shameful and hypocritical, but a threat to our democratic system? Not so much. 

As for voter supression, it’s awful, but it’s also a plan that’s doomed to fail. The GOP has got a big problem here: they’re not attracting new voters. Rather than trying to truly address it, they’re pulling shenanigans like voter suppression and gerrymandering. These aren’t solutions. 
Definitely shameful and hypocritical. Establishing a precedent of increasing and decreasing the powers of the branches of government in the lame duck period is bad for rule of law. It also proves the compete selfishness of the GOP Party in Wisconsin. They increased Governors powers when they controlled the spot but now when they won't, they think those powers were a bad idea. We should not be determining the powers of the branches based on election results. 

Definitely shameful and hypocritical. Establishing a precedent of increasing and decreasing the powers of the branches of government in the lame duck period is bad for rule of law. It also proves the compete selfishness of the GOP Party in Wisconsin. They increased Governors powers when they controlled the spot but now when they won't, they think those powers were a bad idea. We should not be determining the powers of the branches based on election results. 
No disagreement at all. But I’m not convinced that the Dems, had they achieved the same strong majority, wouldn’t have done the same. In my own state Democrats are in control of everything and they have increased their power. What will happen when they have to give it up? Guess we’ll see. 

No disagreement at all. But I’m not convinced that the Dems, had they achieved the same strong majority, wouldn’t have done the same. In my own state Democrats are in control of everything and they have increased their power. What will happen when they have to give it up? Guess we’ll see. 
So it's all about what you think about things that haven't happened? 

You're bonkers about this. The Dems could have done this before Walker was in office and since the Dems did not do anything in the lame duck time, teachers and others in Wisconsin (i.e. not businesses) lost big time. The Dems could have done it, but they didn't. Repubs were ape#### about it because some Dems wanted to do something but Doyle didn't agree. The Dems acted with civility. Now, the Repubs do what they lambasted Dems for "possibly" doing, which they didn't, back in 2010. The Repubs are clearly at fault here and playing this power game that llove80's pointed out is dangerous and a dangerous precedent to even play with. Too bad northern Wisconsinites are in the cult and not backing out of it anytime soon. The Repubs in Wisconsin are Repulsive.

gerrymandering works......

timschochet said:

This is like the parody of a democrat that leftists use to attack democrats. 

Ilov80s said:

Everyone understands the thread is about the topic in general and it's clear the various incidents are all being discussed here.  It's actively happening in three states.  This is just the shtick used to avoid facing the discussion and reality of what's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread