Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
jamny

Is rock dead?

Recommended Posts

Just now, Mister CIA said:

I've got a soft, sentimental spot for Bad Company, Foreigner, and Kansas too, while we're airing dirty laundry.  I don't love them, and barely even like them, but I won't knock them.

I liked them all back in the day, but didn't "like-like" them, though Kansas was bigger for me than the other two.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I liked them all back in the day, but didn't "like-like" them, though Kansas was bigger for me than the other two.  

Kansas was a good band

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...what's the word on ELO? 

:scared:

 

Is it safe for me to say I like em? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

So...what's the word on ELO? 

:scared:

 

Is it safe for me to say I like em? 

I like them...maybe they didn’t have the edge of some other bands, but their melodies and songs were very good

Edited by Rove!
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 9:34 AM, jamny said:

Obviously there will always be bands playing in garages and clubs but will it ever have mainstream appeal again?

Has it gone the way of jazz and will only be a niche genre of music?

plenty of decent rock out there, but the kids are not into it so what. Newer acts I like:

Rival Sons

Tyler Bryant & the shakedown

Volbeat

Gojira - (real heavy)

Power trip

plus Foo fighters and Alice in Chains (with a new singer I know) putting out good stuff

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend seeing Drive-by Truckers or Guided by Voices before weighing in about the state of rock and roll. Rock is safe and sound with those two alone, never mind many, many others. It's just not hand-fed to you anymore.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

I recommend seeing Drive-by Truckers or Guided by Voices before weighing in about the state of rock and roll. Rock is safe and sound with those two alone, never mind many, many others. It's just not hand-fed to you anymore.

I'm sure Guided by Truckers can really rock it up but in 2019 bands like that don;t register with people under the age of 33. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I'm sure Guided by Truckers can really rock it up but in 2019 bands like that don;t register with people under the age of 33. 

Sure they do. Not in the numbers before the internet and satellite radio when rock and roll was all over the radio and MTV, but plenty of younger people can handle looking around for good music. Rock and roll can never die. The man said so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

Sure they do. Not in the numbers before the internet and satellite radio when rock and roll was all over the radio and MTV, but plenty of younger people can handle looking around for good music. Rock and roll can never die. The man said so.

I know, I was mostly joking around.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

Sure they do. Not in the numbers before the internet and satellite radio when rock and roll was all over the radio and MTV, but plenty of younger people can handle looking around for good music. Rock and roll can never die. The man said so.

That's the spirit I love to hear.  

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny to think but to a young person today, 70s rock like Pink Floyd, Bad Company or The Velvet Underground is 45 years in the past. If you were in HS in 1979, that is the equivalent to you hearing Gershwin, Artie Shaw and Al Jolson music. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

It's funny to think but to a young person today, 70s rock like Pink Floyd, Bad Company or The Velvet Underground is 45 years in the past. If you were in HS in 1979, that is the equivalent to you hearing Gershwin, Artie Shaw and Al Jolson music. 

Good music doesn't go away 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DocHolliday said:

Good music doesn't go away 

Of course not, Moonglow still sounds fantastic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today, I think rock really might have died.

RIP Dick Dale

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

saw The Struts in Charlotte earlier this month, holy crap Rock is not dead, they are fantastic. And the lead singer did a solo on the piano of Queen's Don't Stop Me Now and if you were blind and in attendance you would have sworn that was Freddie singing it. They, IMO, are the best young rock band on the planet right now. Stage presence is outstanding and they just have fun the entire time. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 8:27 PM, ffmail4me said:

saw The Struts in Charlotte earlier this month, holy crap Rock is not dead, they are fantastic. And the lead singer did a solo on the piano of Queen's Don't Stop Me Now and if you were blind and in attendance you would have sworn that was Freddie singing it. They, IMO, are the best young rock band on the planet right now. Stage presence is outstanding and they just have fun the entire time. 

👍Love The Struts, have seen them 4 times now and they're amazing!

Rival Sons

Volbeat

Greta Van Fleet

St. Agnes

Claypool Lennon Delirium

Band of Skulls

Danko Jones

Slash & Myles Kennedy

All Them Witches

New Year's Day

The Sword

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 11:59 AM, Ilov80s said:

It's funny to think but to a young person today, 70s rock like Pink Floyd, Bad Company or The Velvet Underground is 45 years in the past. If you were in HS in 1979, that is the equivalent to you hearing Gershwin, Artie Shaw and Al Jolson music. 

my high school prom theme song.  

letter sweater and white bucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still mystified why Foreigner isn't in the RRHOF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone mention Coheed and Cambria yet? 

Judas Priest meets The Doors have a child and raises that child on planet Pink Floyd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Hastur said:

Anyone mention Coheed and Cambria yet? 

Judas Priest meets The Doors have a child and raises that child on planet Pink Floyd. 

Pretty good old school band 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2019 at 3:12 AM, Arizona Ron said:

Still mystified why Foreigner isn't in the RRHOF.

meh

  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all go to Rocklahoma on Memorial day weekend.  😎

I'm still recovering from last week.

Rocklahoma 2019 schedule

 

Seether, Disturbed, Korn, Jackyl, Shinedown, Slaughter, Lita Ford, Ace Frehley, Steel Panther, Buckcherry

Ozzy was supposed to headline Sat night. When he injured his back, Korn stepped in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CobaltCruisin' said:

We all go to Rocklahoma on Memorial day weekend.  😎

I'm still recovering from last week.

Rocklahoma 2019 schedule

 

Seether, Disturbed, Korn, Jackyl, Shinedown, Slaughter, Lita Ford, Ace Frehley, Steel Panther, Buckcherry

Ozzy was supposed to headline Sat night. When he injured his back, Korn stepped in.

Thoughts and prayers for your ears on their recovery 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Thoughts and prayers for your ears on their recovery 

Korn wrote their eponymous album while high on crystal methamphetamine. The album sounds like it should. 

https://metalinjection.net/shocking-revelations/korns-reveal-they-were-high-on-meth-most-of-the-time-while-recording-their-debut-album

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong, I own a Korn album, but when I heard it coming from the locker room in Mohawk Valley CC when I was playing club hockey for school, I was actually feeling old and was frightened for the youth.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.