What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pettis vs ZJones vs Samuel (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
3 WRs that have been red hot. All can be available on your WW. All can be played as high upside flex. Are you trusting any of them in the 1st round of the playoffs? Im assuming this thread may be useful to Sanders owners.

I rank them:

Jones- 2 out of the last 3 games hes been heavily targeted with the results to back it up. Lets throw out the Jax game vs Ramsey. Allen is on fire. They face a porous Jets secondary this week and just released Benjamin. Defacto #1 WR on a bad team. He almost feels like a must start this week. Maybe Im crazy.

Pettis- Red hot last two games. Excellent route runner. Has the toughest schedule of the 3 but Broncos just lost Harris. Goodwin returning may cloud things. Hard to trust rookies this late in the year. Are the 49ers going to put up a lot of points with Nick Mullens? He was great last week but struggled vs TB.

Samuel- Everytime he touches the ball he seems to do something with it. I just feel there are too many mouths to feed. Funchess or Moore may out target him on a game to game basis. Hard to predict. CMC still rules the day on this team. Easiest schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reposting from the waiver wire thread. I'm not in a huge rush -- I don't have to start any of these guys this weekend, and I don't think any of them are slam dunks -- so I'm going to take a little time to research and think about it some more. But will likely go with Jones.

For my Sanders replacement, debating CSamuel, ZJones and Pettis. Shockingly, I find myself leaning Jones based on opportunity and upside (I say shockingly because I generally hate the "They gotta throw it to someone" argument). I don't trust Samuel at all (he and Moore seem to swap WR1 back and forth on a weekly basis). As for Pettis, I think he's probably the most talented, but I worry about a guy with an undefined role on a bad offense.

One additional -- and totally speculative -- thought on Jones. It's not just that he's the last man standing in Buffalo; it's that they made the affirmative decision to cut Benjamin. Now, maybe Kelvin was a grade-A douchenozzle who put Icy Hot in his teammate's jockstraps and tried to instigate a mutiny against McDermott. But I suspect at some level the move represents a vote of confidence in Jones.

3 WRs that have been red hot. All can be available on your WW. All can be played as high upside flex. Are you trusting any of them in the 1st round of the playoffs? Im assuming this thread may be useful to Sanders owners.

I rank them:

Jones- 2 out of the last 3 games hes been heavily targeted with the results to back it up. Lets throw out the Jax game vs Ramsey. Allen is on fire. They face a porous Jets secondary this week and just released Benjamin. Defacto #1 WR on a bad team. He almost feels like a must start this week. Maybe Im crazy.

Pettis- Red hot last two games. Excellent route runner. Has the toughest schedule of the 3 but Broncos just lost Harris. Goodwin returning may cloud things. Hard to trust rookies this late in the year. Are the 49ers going to put up a lot of points with Nick Mullens? He was great last week but struggled vs TB.

Samuel- Everytime he touches the ball he seems to do something with it. I just feel there are too many mouths to feed. Funchess or Moore may out target him on a game to game basis. Hard to predict. CMC still rules the day on this team. Easiest schedule.
I think you summed it up pretty well. 

Personally put Pettis last. Talented but Goodwin coming back and toughest schedule.

Jones and Samuel are tough. Jones will be a league winner or loser. He is very boom bust lookingat his season.Oneo fhis great games was with Barkley an dFoster has done well with Allen too.

Samuel is electric. Seems they have started to target him nore abd have several designed plays for him Has 4.31 speed and easiest schedule on a team competing for playoffs.

My money is Samuels has best combo of floor and upside

Jones most Boom but most bust.

Pettis is distant third.

Personally put Pettis last. Talented but Goodwin coming back and toughest schedule.

Jones and Samuel are tough. Jones will be a league winner or loser. He is very boom bust lookingat his season.Oneo fhis great games was with Barkley an dFoster has done well with Allen too.

Samuel is electric. Seems they have started to target him nore abd have several designed plays for him Has 4.31 speed and easiest schedule on a team competing for playoffs.

My money is Samuels has best combo of floor and upside

Jones most Boom but most bust.

Pettis is distant third.
Like Samuel as a prospect; believe that Cam is well less than 100%

So, if the need is for today, I'd go Pettis, Jones, Samuel

I'd go pettis.....then curtis samuel.....followed up by zay....and sprinkle in deshawn hamilton for the injured emmanuel sanders...hamilton will be in the slot....also have my eye on Bruce Ellington who has 6 catches 3 weeks in a row....cheap points......wire is razor thin at wr....unlike rb that seems like there are tons of dudes falling from the sky

I'd go pettis.....then curtis samuel.....followed up by zay....and sprinkle in deshawn hamilton for the injured emmanuel sanders...hamilton will be in the slot....also have my eye on Bruce Ellington who has 6 catches 3 weeks in a row....cheap points......wire is razor thin at wr....unlike rb that seems like there are tons of dudes falling from the sky
Goodwin should be back.  I have those 3 reversed.

Samuels, Z Jones, Pettis in that order for Week 14.

I don't see Ridley eating too much into Samuels workload and Samuels should get a nice amount of carries if Pittsburgh is blowing out Oakland. I have Zay Jones listed 2nd for all the reasons the OP mentioned. I have Pettis listed 3rd as I'm concerned about Goodwin and Garcon both returning this week after a 2 week absence. I like Pettis long term but unsure how much target share he gets with those 2 guys returning. 

Went with Jones. Hope I'm not forced to start him
I'm actually starting to have second thoughts. Pettis is the more talented one, plus he runs out of the slot so Goodwin's return might not affect him too much. Mostly, it's that I hate betting on opportunity over talent. They don't "have to throw it to someone". Josh Allen has proved he's perfectly capable of throwing it to no one.

Samuels, Z Jones, Pettis in that order for Week 14.

I don't see Ridley eating too much into Samuels workload and Samuels should get a nice amount of carries if Pittsburgh is blowing out Oakland. I have Zay Jones listed 2nd for all the reasons the OP mentioned. I have Pettis listed 3rd as I'm concerned about Goodwin and Garcon both returning this week after a 2 week absence. I like Pettis long term but unsure how much target share he gets with those 2 guys returning. 
Wrong Samuel. 

Picked up Samuel in the league I lost Manny. Grabbed Pettis earlier in the year when Goodwin was kind of in and out and he did #### all. I dunno, maybe he and Mullen hit it off but wasn’t gonna fall for It again. 

Anyone else having flashbacks to the year there were two viable Steve Smiths in fantasy as well as -- ever so briefly -- two Adrian Petersons?
Don’t remember the other Peterson, but I remember a draft where someone picked the wrong Ricky Williams in the first round...

Arodin said:
Don’t remember the other Peterson, but I remember a draft where someone picked the wrong Ricky Williams in the first round...
Adrian Peterson Chicago. Backup RB for them. I remember being a commish and having to back that pick out right away.

Arodin said:
This didn't happen in any of my leagues, but apparently there were people who accidentally drafted Pittsburgh TE David Johnson in the first round a couple years ago.

Anyway, the other AP was a Bears RB. Career backup, got a few spot starts in 2005 and 2007 and even had a couple 100-yard games. The latter was Minnesota AP's rookie year, and he got hurt and missed a few games right as Chicago AP was getting his shot, leading to lots of "I started the wrong Adrian Peterson" jokes.

And BTW, after a discussion in another thread about the unreliability of memory, it turns out I was wrong in thinking that the Steve Smiths were a thing in the same year as the two Petersons. USC Steve Smith came into the league in '07, but he didn't emerge as a remotely useful fantasy asset until 2009.

There was also that time in 2010 where a rookie WR out of Syracuse named Mike Williams was getting some pre-season buzz in Tampa just as former USC star/Lions bust Mike Williams was trying to make a comeback with the Seahawks. Tampa Mike ended up with a 65/964/11 season while Seattle Mike was 65/751/2 (and neither had any connection to the current LAC WR).

Looking towards week 15 and Z. Jones. Jones plays in the slot primarily correct?

Anyone know how DET plays against slot WRs?? I know D. Slay usually locks down a team's best perimeter WR and they  have improved significantly against the run.

Could be another decent matchup next week. Considering dropping A. Jeffery (horrible matchups next two weeks) or M. Mack (ditto) for him.

Looking towards week 15 and Z. Jones. Jones plays in the slot primarily correct?

Anyone know how DET plays against slot WRs?? I know D. Slay usually locks down a team's best perimeter WR and they  have improved significantly against the run.

Could be another decent matchup next week. Considering dropping A. Jeffery (horrible matchups next two weeks) or M. Mack (ditto) for him.
They pushed Nevin Lawson inside to cover the slot. He's thoroughly mediocre - PFF grade is 58.3 (CB93), which is actually a bit deceiving because his run grade is 87.2. Lawson is targeted more than any other Detroit DB, has given up 5 TDs and 7 PI penalties, and has the lowest coverage grade. He is the clear weak link in a defense that yields a passer rating of 115.2, second worst in the league.

They pushed Nevin Lawson inside to cover the slot. He's thoroughly mediocre - PFF grade is 58.3 (CB93), which is actually a bit deceiving because his run grade is 87.2. Lawson is targeted more than any other Detroit DB, has given up 5 TDs and 7 PI penalties, and has the lowest coverage grade. He is the clear weak link in a defense that yields a passer rating of 115.2, second worst in the league.
Ding, ding, ding...jackpot.

Users who are viewing this thread