What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

William Barr Thread (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
A thread for those who want to discuss AG Bill Barr, but not for the express purpose of expressing appreciation for him, like the other thread. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, at first glance he appears to be both competent and qualified. I'm shocked.
Second glance not as good:

Aaron Blake‏Verified account @AaronBlake 1h1 hour ago

What William Barr has said:

1) More Clinton probes needed

2) Uranium One more worthy of investigation than collusion

3) Comey firing was AOK

4) Mueller team's donations are too left-leaning

5) It's okay for presidents to request specific investigations

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/06/trumps-new-top-attorney-general-pick-once-called-more-clinton-probes-downplayed-trump-russia-collusion/?utm_term=.e68f515a4206

3) Comey firing was AOK

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/06/trumps-new-top-attorney-general-pick-once-called-more-clinton-probes-downplayed-trump-russia-collusion/?utm_term=.e68f515a4206

you're probably used to this...

The Hill‏Verified account @thehill

Top Trump consumer protection official has 120 corporate conflicts of interest http://hill.cm/gb3Mp5k

12:49 PM - 6 Dec 2018
Ah, there it is. Whew! I thought Trump was showing a glimmer of competence and sanity. Glad to see status quo maintained.

Lindsay Graham dropped his name in every interview a couple weekends ago. I think Republicans see Mueller as a potentially lethal threat to theTrump led party and maybe even many of them personally. Calling on Barr if it happens would be high level stuff.

He better have a catch phrase like “I’m William Barr and it’s time for your exam!” or I don’t even care about his actual qualifications 

3) Comey firing was AOK

None of those are outside of mainstream thought

Of the five things mentioned most of the right and some of the left would generally agree with
Ok take No. 4 (Mueller team's donations are too left-leaning). Trump has donated far more to the Clintons and Democrats than the Mueller team. I bet it's 20-100x more. And Team Trump has 3 former Clinton attorneys (Flood, Lowell and Hendon) (not to mention Davis), while Mueller has one. So why is that ok for your president but not the OSC?

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/420085-former-attorney-general-william-barr-trumps-leading-contender-for-ag

Former Attorney General William Barr is Trump’s leading contender for AG: report

Former Attorney General William Barr is President Trump’s top prospect to be nominated as attorney general, multiple people familiar with the discussions told The Washington Post.

Barr, 68, led the Justice Department (DOJ) from 1991-1993 under President George H.W. Bush and has the support of several White House officials, including a number of senior lawyers in the White House Counsel’s Office, according to the Post.

The Post notes that the decision is not yet final and Trump could change his mind on the matter. Officials said an announcement could be made in the coming days.

“He’s a serious guy,” one source told the paper of Barr. “The president is very, very focused on [a candidate] looking the part, and having credentials consistent with the part.”

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Hill.

A confirmation vote on Barr could take months, leaving acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker at Justice Department's helm.

[...]
Strong candidate 

A confirmation vote on Barr could take months, leaving acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker at Justice Department's helm.
Any confirmation is taking months as the blue side is throwing up roadblocks for every position.

It's official:

CNBC Now‏ @CNBCnow 34m34 minutes ago

BREAKING:

President Trump says he will nominate William Barr to be next Attorney General, Heather Nauert to be new U.N. Ambassador.

Sand said:
Any confirmation is taking months as the blue side is throwing up roadblocks for every position.
Yeah that's the problem.  Not the fact that the White House barely vets their nominees and has a disturbing tendency to nominate white collar criminals and/or women abusers and/or reactionary dooshbags who post racist screeds on Facebook and/or supremely unqualified idiots who bought their administration jobs.

Kyle Griffin‏ @kylegriffin1 5m5 minutes ago

Mazie Hirono, before Trump's announcement, said she would have a hard time supporting William Barr "because here's another person who auditioned for the job ... by talking about how Hillary Clinton should continue to be investigated and questioning the Mueller investigation."

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 2m2 minutes ago

Blumenthal:

"I will demand that Mr. Barr make a firm and specific commitment to protect the Mueller investigation ... particularly in light of past comments suggesting Mr. Barr was more interested in currying favor with Pres. Trump. than objectively ... analyzing law and facts."

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 2m2 minutes ago

Blumenthal:

"I will demand that Mr. Barr make a firm and specific commitment to protect the Mueller investigation ... particularly in light of past comments suggesting Mr. Barr was more interested in currying favor with Pres. Trump. than objectively ... analyzing law and facts."
Absolutely.  I have no problems with more probes into Clinton if there is some evidence of wrongdoing either.

I am not sure how many but if they finally think they have something then go for it.   
If the 10+ prior investigations into Clinton headed by Republicans failed to find anything, then another one is a complete and total waste of time and taxpayer dollars.

squistion said:

3) Comey firing was AOK

as long as the candidate doesn't want to investigate or come down on Democrats he's a good one then is what you mean ?

If the 10+ prior investigations into Clinton headed by Republicans failed to find anything, then another one is a complete and total waste of time and taxpayer dollars.
Probably but if they have evidence of something else involving the Clintons then it should be investigated if it is credible.

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 8m8 minutes ago*

I am pleased to announce that I will be nominating The Honorable William P. Barr for the position of Attorney General of the United States. As the former AG for George H.W. Bush....

....and one of the most highly respected lawyers and legal minds in the Country, he will be a great addition to our team. I look forward to having him join our very successful Administration!

*Cross posted in Trump tweets thread.

Users who are viewing this thread