What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

William Barr Thread (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Warren‏ @SenWarren 2m2 minutes ago

William Barr has already expressed his bias against the Mueller investigation – that alone should disqualify him from serving as Attorney General. He also wants to gut the ACA, thinks Roe v Wade should be overturned, & has a troubling record on criminal justice. I'll vote no.

Amy Klobuchar: Are you going to jail reporters for doing their job?

William Barr: Ummm (very pregnant pause)....I'm sure there will be a scenario....

Elizabeth Warren‏ @SenWarren 2m2 minutes ago

William Barr has already expressed his bias against the Mueller investigation – that alone should disqualify him from serving as Attorney General. He also wants to gut the ACA, thinks Roe v Wade should be overturned, & has a troubling record on criminal justice. I'll vote no.
The last 3 items basically make him a conservative. And that’s my problem with people like Warren- they always reject ANYONE on the other side. (that doesn’t disqualify her for higher office necessarily, but it does make her partisan.) 

Mark Murray‏Verified account @mmurraypolitics 14m14 minutes ago

Klobuchar asks Barr what message he would sent to DOJ workers who have been furloughed or who aren't getting paid due to the shutdown.

Barr's answer: "I would like to see a deal reached whereby Congress recognizes that it's imperative to have border security."

If I were a DOJ worker I would not like that answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last 3 items basically make him a conservative. And that’s my problem with people like Warren- they always reject ANYONE on the other side. (that doesn’t disqualify her for higher office necessarily, but it does make her partisan.) 
Yes. Her first sentence was good.  Her second sentence is the problem.

Mark Murray‏Verified account @mmurraypolitics 14m14 minutes ago

Klobuchar asks Barr what message he would sent to DOJ workers who have been furloughed or who aren't getting paid due to the shutdown.

Barr's answer: "I would like to see a deal reached whereby Congress recognizes that it's imperative to have border security."
Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 1m1 minute ago

Amy Klobuchar asks if the Justice Department will jail journalists for doing their jobs.

William Barr doesn't directly answer, but says: "I can conceive of situations where, as a last resort ... there could be a situation where someone could be held in contempt."

Eh, he seems to be steadfast in the opinion of letting Mueller finish the investigation. That's good enough for me. We're going to get crap and more crap with every Trump appointee, at least this one believes in letting Mueller finish. 

Amy Klobuchar asks if the Justice Department will jail journalists for doing their jobs.

William Barr doesn't directly answer, but says: "I can conceive of situations where, as a last resort ... there could be a situation where someone could be held in contempt."

In fairness to Barr - that's kind of a loaded, open-ended question. What does that mean, "jail journalists for doing their jobs?"

I don't fully agree. Sure its partisan - but if she think he's going to do harm to the country (which, if he still has his criminal justice beliefs he had in the 90s, he almost certainly will), then she should vote against him. 

Adam Schiff‏ @RepAdamSchiff 24h24 hours ago

Under Barr’s reading of the law, an obstruction case Mueller may be pursuing is “asinine.” He says results of Mueller’s report should be made public but nothing about its contents. And he has a view of presidential power that renders all of his promises moot.

Senate must vote no

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/status/1084899227409494016

Last edited by a moderator:
In fairness to Barr - that's kind of a loaded, open-ended question. What does that mean, "jail journalists for doing their jobs?"
Yeah that was a terrible question. There's no way to answer that question - especially if the answerer is a lawyer. 

Under Barr’s reading of the law, an obstruction case Mueller may be pursuing is “asinine.” He says results of Mueller’s report should be made public but nothing about its contents. And he has a view of presidential power that renders all of his promises moot.

Senate must vote no

Eh I guess this didn’t go well today.

FWIW that was what happened to Judith Miller.

I listened to a few hours today & most of the questions were closed ended. No major missteps IMO. He’s an archaic dinosaur who thinks “weed and seed” was a success.

Dems don’t have the votes, ghis is a done deal.
Yeah, I don't know if this is the battle worth going all out for.  I thought Feinstein did a good job locking him into some initial statements about Mueller and keeping the investigation open. 

Senate must vote no

I'm not sure what the voting requirements are. 60 votes or just a majority?  Is this just another waste of time like the Kavanaugh confirmation? 

Yes, all Barr needs is a simple majority of votes.
Why even bother with this.  Bottom line is, Trump picked a guy that he felt could offer him protection and the way the system is set up, there's nothing anyone can do about it. Not when you factor in the entire crop of Republican Senators want to protect him also.   Why even bother pushing back?

Yeah, I don't know if this is the battle worth going all out for.  I thought Feinstein did a good job locking him into some initial statements about Mueller and keeping the investigation open. 
He’ll respect the process. That doesn’t mean we’ll ever see the unfiltered report.

Somewhere between Executive Summary & full report would be my guess. 

:(

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1085310721779552256

Harris asks Barr if Trump violated the Presidential Records Act when he reportedly took his interpreter's notes from his Putin meeting.

Barr: I'm not familiar with that Act. At some time I was, but I really don't know what it says.

Harris: You don't know what it says?

Barr: No.
This guy's amazing.

Q: Do you support this law?

Yes.

Q: Do you support this law as it applies to Trump?

I'll have to look at the facts.

Q: Do you support this law and here's the fact the pattern?

I don't know, I don't know anything about the law.

Walter Shaub is the former director of the United States Office of Government Ethics; he resigned in Trump's first year, exasperated the new PotUS and his associates ignored all his recommendations. He is now the Senior Director of Ethics for the D.C. based watchdog group, the Campaign Legal Center. .

(tweets listed oldest to newest)

Walter Shaub‏Verified account @waltshaub 23h

Sen. Graham opened questioning in Barr’s confirmation hearing by doubling down on attacks on those who would hold POTUS accountable, asking Barr to look into & report back on any agents who may have opened a counter intelligence investigation into whether POTUS is helping Russia.

Walter Shaub‏Verified account @waltshaub 22h

Walter Shaub Retweeted Amy Klobuchar

True — and even without this possibility of turning a profit, it comes down to what value one places on protecting national security and holding the president accountable to the rule of law. The Mueller investigation would be a bargain at twice the price.

Walter Shaub added,

Amy KlobucharVerified account @amyklobuchar

In Barr hearing, Sen. Grassley just attacked Mueller investigation for costs. He forgot to say that Mueller could actually turn profit for taxpayers based on fines & property from wealthy criminals: Mueller probe could turn a profit, thanks to Manafort https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/17/mueller-probe-could-turn-a-profit-thanks-to-manafort-assets.html …

(For lawyers out there, I note that a literal reading of the language of 2635.502(c) might suggest it applies only when a person with whom he has a “covered relationship” is a party, but OGE has interpreted that paragraph to apply to the catchall provision at 2635.502(a)(2).) /2

Barr is wrong in saying he could ignore ethics officials. 5 CFR 2635.502(c) says that, if he consults ethics officials and they say he must recuse, he is “disqualified from participation in the matter” and, under 2635.502(e), he “shall not participate.” /1

In case it needs to be emphasized, this is an incredible departure from governmental norms!

Sen. Leahy asks if Barr will seek AND FOLLOW the guidance of career ethics officials. Barr says he’ll seek their guidance, then make up his own mind. That’s what Whitaker did when he chose to ignore the career ethics officials. The Trump administration’s war on ethics continues!!

Walter Shaub‏Verified account @waltshaub 21h

Walter Shaub Retweeted CNN Opinion

Barr has said several times that he will not interfere with the Russia investigation. What he has avoided saying in his carefully worded responses is that he will not shut down ancillary lines of investigation. He must recuse from the investigation.

Walter Shaub‏Verified account @waltshaub 20h

Barr dodged Senator Coons’ question as to whether Mueller would have “carte blanche” to take the investigation wherever it goes. His carefully worded response that he would follow the regulations suggests that he would feel free to overrule Mueller’s investigative decisions.

Walter Shaub‏Verified account @waltshaub 20h

Will someone on the committee please ask Barr if he feels it would be appropriate for him to make decisions regarding the scope of the Mueller investigation?

Walter Shaub‏Verified account @waltshaub 19h

POTUS fired Sessions for refusing to stop the Mueller investigation. Now his nominee to replace Sessions suggests he would be free to shape the scope of the investigation. If Barr won’t recuse, the Senate should reject him. This is a subtle, slow motion Saturday Night Massacre.

Barr just refused to give @SenBlumenthal a straight answer as to whether he will let Mueller and the U.S. Attorneys define the scope of their investigations. He says that he will follow the rules but that he will not “surrender” his authority to oversee their work!

Sen. Hirono just called Barr to task for his refusal to commit to following guidance of career ethics officials. Thank you @maziehirono for standing up for the ethics program. By the way, he’s wrong about the ethics rules. 5 CFR 2635.502(c) requires him to follow their guidance.

Walter Shaub‏Verified account @waltshaub 19

Barr says he expects Mueller’s report to be limited to discussing decisions to prosecute or not to prosecute. He adds that he’ll only release his own report on that report. The president is picking his own investigator and he is picking one who seems well equipped to protect him.

A PRESIDENT SHOULD NOT PICK HIS INVESTIGATOR

Walter Shaub‏Verified account @waltshaub 18h

Barr is asked again by @SenKamalaHarris about his failure to commit to following ethics officials’ guidance. He says he’ll substitute his own judgment for theirs when he disagrees with them. Barr fails to appreciate that he cannot be as objective about himself as they can be.

Walter Shaub‏Verified account @waltshaub 17h

Without a recusal commitment, Barr’s confirmation will unequivocally establish a precedent that future presidents can fire law enforcement officials for investigating them and pick replacements, even if the replacements have expressed doubts about the scope of investigation. /1

Walter Shaub‏Verified account @waltshaub 17h

Imagine if Hillary Clinton had won the 2016 election and fired the FBI Director and AG for investigating her. We wouldn’t be watching a confirmation hearing. We’d be watching an impeachment hearing right now — oh, and today would be May 10, 2017, the day after Comey’s firing. /2

Walter Shaub‏Verified account @waltshaub 16h

Listening to the destruction of government ethics during the Barr hearing, in the background today while doing other work, has been too depressing. I’m done tweeting for the day.

Walter Shaub‏Verified account @waltshaub 2h

The normalizing of the Barr hearing is a shameful failure of the media. POTUS fired the AG for refusing to end an investigation of him, and his replacement nominee won’t recuse from it. Whatever you think of Barr, why isn’t this being covered as the dangerous precedent it is?

timschochet said:
Isn't the justice department supposed to be a non partisan undertaking? Just calling balls and strikes? Not pushing an agenda. 

Guess that explains why Trump nominated him.
Nominated because he was previously confirmed on a, what, 96-0 vote?   Same guy as last time and I'm sure a lot of the same Senators.

Isn't the justice department supposed to be a non partisan undertaking? Just calling balls and strikes? Not pushing an agenda. 
After Jarrett and Holder literally any warm body is an improvement in this area.

Nominated because he was previously confirmed on a, what, 96-0 vote?   Same guy as last time and I'm sure a lot of the same Senators.

After Jarrett and Holder literally any warm body is an improvement in this area.
Why do you assume Barr hasn’t changed in 30 years?  Look at what’s happened to Giuliani for example.  Maybe Barr used to be reasonable but isn’t anymore.

I guess they all look alike, huh?

HINT:  One of those two was never Attorney General, or in the Justice Department at all, for that matter.  
Wow, dude, and you wonder why this is such an echo chamber.   Turning a Freudian slip confusing the name of Lynch and Jarrett into a statement that I'm a racist is so far beyond the pale.

Seriously, how shameful.  You should be deeply embarrassed at posting this.

Wow, dude, and you wonder why this is such an echo chamber.   Turning a Freudian slip confusing the name of Lynch and Jarrett into a statement that I'm a racist is so far beyond the pale.

Seriously, how shameful.  You should be deeply embarrassed at posting this.
Mixing up or confusing names is racist.

He’ll respect the process. That doesn’t mean we’ll ever see the unfiltered report.

Somewhere between Executive Summary & full report would be my guess. 
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/16/politics/house-judiciary-subpoena-mueller-report-cnntv/index.html

House Judiciary Chairman Nadler says if necessary they would subpoena Mueller’s report and have him testify. I suspect this would also happen if what appears to be our soon to be AG Barr were to send us his version of the report.

The funny thing is - I kind of liked Barr.  I don't like most of what he stands for, but I appreciate the skill it takes to parse language, and to find nuance in the legal world.  He came across as a very sharp legal mind.

So, I suppose that is why, in retrospect, it is even more satisfying that it looks like he was played like a cheap fiddle - and he never saw it coming in his testimony.

Sinn Fein said:
The funny thing is - I kind of liked Barr.  I don't like most of what he stands for, but I appreciate the skill it takes to parse language, and to find nuance in the legal world.  He came across as a very sharp legal mind.

So, I suppose that is why, in retrospect, it is even more satisfying that it looks like he was played like a cheap fiddle - and he never saw it coming in his testimony.
That's a long memo he wrote, 19 pages. It was chock full of detail. All they had to do was read it back to him.

Users who are viewing this thread