What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Daboll +1000 for GB HC job, wut? (1 Viewer)

Iceman03

Footballguy
One person who has escaped the tremendous criticism I believe he deserves is Brian Daboll, OC of the Buffalo Bills. His offenses have been historically some of the worst all time in the league and include the 2018 Buffalo Bills, 2012 Kansas City Chiefs, 2011 Miami Dolphins and 2010/2009 Cleveland Browns. Collectively those teams have averaged 28th in total yards and 29th in scoring over those 5 seasons: Brian Daboll coaching history

The man is completely enept. Why does this league continue down this path? If a man comes into contact with Bill Belichick or Nick Saban’s flatulence at some point in their life that does not make them a qualified coach for the NFL. Anyway good luck to GB fans if this happens, Aaron Rodgers entire career will be one huge waste that includes one Super Bowl where he rose over the incompetence of those surrounding him.

Is Brian Daboll a GB coaching candidate? 

Last edited by a moderator:
One person who has escaped the tremendous criticism I believe he deserves is Brian Daboll, OC of the Buffalo Bills. His offenses have been historically some of the worst all time in the league and include the 2018 Buffalo Bills, 2012 Kansas City Chiefs, 2011 Miami Dolphins and 2010/2009 Cleveland Browns. Collectively those teams have averaged 28th in total yards and 29th in scoring over those 5 seasons: Brian Daboll coaching history

The man is completely enept. Why does this league continue down this path? If a man comes into contact with Bill Belichick or Nick Saban’s flatulence at some point in their life that does not make them a qualified coach for the NFL. Anyway good luck to GB fans if this happens, Aaron Rodgers entire career will be one huge waste that includes one Super Bowl where he rose over the incompetence of those surrounding him.

Is Brian Daboll a GB coaching candidate? 
No way he should be a coach. If your bread and butter is as an OC, and you're that bad, just...no way.

I mean, Todd Bowles (I'm a Jets fan) is a terrible head coach, but he was a good DC in Arizona.  

This is a hell of a list, led by a...collegiate linebacker from Northwestern? 

Pat Fitzgerald +600
Josh McDaniel +600
Zac Taylor +1000
Brian Daboll +1000
John Harbaugh +1200
Jim Harbaugh +1400
David Shaw +1600
Field -300

Pat Fitzgerald +600
Josh McDaniel +600
Zac Taylor +1000
Brian Daboll +1000
John Harbaugh +1200
Jim Harbaugh +1400
David Shaw +1600
Field -300
Do some better homework.  Pat Fitzgerald is one of the best coaching talents available. 

I'd rather have someone rock solid who holds people accountable like him rather than someone like McDaniels. You can hire an OC to work with Rodgers. 

Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace, Matt Moore, Chad Henne, JP Losman, Matt Cassel, Josh Allen, Nathan Peterman, Matt Barkley

So where were these offenses supposed to rank? Not to mention Barkley had a career day and Josh Allen has looked pretty damn impressive his last couple games. I'm not saying Daboll should definitely be considered for a HC job but I'd pump the brakes on "completely inept." The guy has turned the Bills offense from a complete embarrassment to somewhat resembling what one should look like in the NFL.

Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace, Matt Moore, Chad Henne, JP Losman, Matt Cassel, Josh Allen, Nathan Peterman, Matt Barkley

So where were these offenses supposed to rank? Not to mention Barkley had a career day and Josh Allen has looked pretty damn impressive his last couple games. I'm not saying Daboll should definitely be considered for a HC job but I'd pump the brakes on "completely inept." The guy has turned the Bills offense from a complete embarrassment to somewhat resembling what one should look like in the NFL.
Agree. I mean I don't think he should be on this list either, but the Bills roster is disgusting an they have a rookie QB.  Hard to judge him this year.  Give him another year with Allen and $85m in cap room. 

I also think Pat Fitzgerald is awesome! - I'm a Michigan State fan and he's just amazing with his Northwestern crew.

I don't have an opinion on Brian Daboll.  The Bills could have Bill Walsh as their OC and they'd still be in the bottom third of the league, so I certainly don't hold it against Daboll that their offense sucks.

That said, yeah this is a head-scratcher.  Not sure why the OC for a bottom-feeder offense would be a HC candidate.

Completely inept. No other OC has that bad of a five year stretch. I don’t care what talent he has had. The Bills this year are another example of the same thing seen in his last stretch in the NFL. He barely deserved consideration as an OC prior to this season he deserves zero consideration as a HC, let alone being 4th in odds to be the HC for one of the best QB’s in the league. As a Rodgers owner, I am concerned.

Also being suggested for Jacksonville HC now... heard Bill Parcells 3pm bowel movement is -2000 for the Browns opening while we’re at it.

Do some better homework.  Pat Fitzgerald is one of the best coaching talents available. 

I'd rather have someone rock solid who holds people accountable like him rather than someone like McDaniels. You can hire an OC to work with Rodgers. 
Whoa there partner. I never said he was a bad choice, nor was it implied. Read my written words very carefully. I remember Pat Fitzgerald. I don't think you hire a defensive-minded coach to coach Rodgers, either, now that you mention it. 

Saying, "You can hire an OC," is like saying "all they need is a number two starter." Not so easy to do, organizationally.  

First thing I looked at. he has worked with absolute garbage everywhere. Not a fan of retreads but no one could make those O's any good.

Yeah, then when the OC puts together a great O, he is hired away. Bad idea. You hire Offensive minded coaches only in the NFL now. The days of powerhouse defenses taking teams to the SB is over. Offenses are kept alive now by penalties like tackling the QB too hard.

Daboll is adapting his offense to QB Josh Allen and Allen is putting up some eye opening stats.

Go to the link but 3rd highest rushing stats in the entire league, not just QBs but ALL rushers over the past two weeks when he made the adjustment.

Highest intended air yards far higher than any QB by a wide margin.

Go to the link for the full read, this is a very interesting and enlightening story.  I  dove deeper on what Daboll is doing in the Josh Allen thread so go to the  link for the full read

>>>>   BRIAN DABOLL IS RIDING THE JOSH ALLEN ROLLERCOASTER BENJAMIN SOLAKDECEMBER 7, 2018

I noticed one other stat about Josh Allen.

Take a look at this  chart.  >>>>  CHART player speed  by player weight

Josh Allen is the biggest (over 240 lbs) and fastest (over 20.5 mph) QB in the NFL.

Daboll has adjusted his offense to take advantage of Allen's unique skill set by having him throw deeper than other QBs in order to open up rushing lanes.

Its interesting stuff.

Wouldn't brush off Daboll.  What he's doing is getting noticed.

Dirty little secret, is that McCarthy is/was a good coach. He's not great, but the majority are worse. I'd be very surprised if Green Bay was able to upgrade, though John Harbaugh would be a nice get, he's never gotten enough credit for his work in Baltimore. Not his fault he has been playing with a massive disadvantage for years with the Flacco contract. 

You hire Offensive minded coaches only in the NFL now. The days of powerhouse defenses taking teams to the SB is over. 
I would 100% disagree with this. These things have always ebbed and flowed throughout history, and its just a matter of time until some defensive genius figures out a way to completely shut down spread offenses. Then he'll be copied, then another type of offense will break out, etc.

Also, if everybody hires offensive guys, then defensive guys become even more valuable. 

Pat Fitzgerald +600
Josh McDaniel +600
Zac Taylor +1000
Brian Daboll +1000
John Harbaugh +1200
Jim Harbaugh +1400
David Shaw +1600
Field -300
I posted almost a week ago, in either the Packer thread or Rodgers thread, that Fitzgerald is rumored to be the top candidate.  That comes from friends who are well connected to Fitzgerald and Northwestern football.  

I would 100% disagree with this. These things have always ebbed and flowed throughout history, and its just a matter of time until some defensive genius figures out a way to completely shut down spread offenses. Then he'll be copied, then another type of offense will break out, etc.

Also, if everybody hires offensive guys, then defensive guys become even more valuable. 
You can't shutdown great offenses anymore. I explained it above. It wont matter because drives are now kept alive with penalties that didn't exist before. Eventually you will commit a penalty (that was not a penalty years ago) and give a team a score. We see it happening already over the past couple of years. Scoring is at an alltime high because drives are kept alive.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/behind-the-nfls-highest-ever-scoring-season-1539184670

There were two rule changes this off-season. In one overhaul, the NFL clarified the much-maligned catch rule after years of players and fans alike growing frustrated over an abstruse definition that left many plays that appeared to be catches ruled as an incompletions.

In the other change, the NFL implemented a new safety rule to penalize players from using their helmets as a weapon. While this theoretically applies to players on both offense and defense, it was a major headache in the preseason when it was constantly whistled against defensive players during tackles.

Meanwhile, a new emphasis before the season on roughing the passer has resulted in some head-scratching penalties as defensive players come to grips with what it means to tackle a quarterback without putting all of their body weight on him. This has been a force from the season’s first week, when Browns defensive lineman Myles Garrett was flagged when he hit Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, extending a drive that resulted in a Pittsburgh touchdown in a game that ended in a tie.

All of this adds up to something clear: Offensive players, and in particular quarterbacks, are receiving more protection from officials than ever. And it’s another reason why scoreboards are lighting up across the league.

Also:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/10/16/17982878/weird-football-high-scoring-low-margin-victory-parity-dallas-cowboys

Good luck trying to build a team with defense because you can't.

I don't have an opinion on Brian Daboll.  The Bills could have Bill Walsh as their OC and they'd still be in the bottom third of the league, so I certainly don't hold it against Daboll that their offense sucks.

That said, yeah this is a head-scratcher.  Not sure why the OC for a bottom-feeder offense would be a HC candidate.
Hard to ignore his past performances though. I don't pretend to know much about him  other than his history. My son, who is a college football nut and knows every player and coach practically, says Daboll is terrible (based on his time as Alabama OC I guess).

lod001 said:
You can't shutdown great offenses anymore. I explained it above. It wont matter because drives are now kept alive with penalties that didn't exist before. Eventually you will commit a penalty (that was not a penalty years ago) and give a team a score. We see it happening already over the past couple of years. Scoring is at an alltime high because drives are kept alive.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/behind-the-nfls-highest-ever-scoring-season-1539184670

There were two rule changes this off-season. In one overhaul, the NFL clarified the much-maligned catch rule after years of players and fans alike growing frustrated over an abstruse definition that left many plays that appeared to be catches ruled as an incompletions.

In the other change, the NFL implemented a new safety rule to penalize players from using their helmets as a weapon. While this theoretically applies to players on both offense and defense, it was a major headache in the preseason when it was constantly whistled against defensive players during tackles.

Meanwhile, a new emphasis before the season on roughing the passer has resulted in some head-scratching penalties as defensive players come to grips with what it means to tackle a quarterback without putting all of their body weight on him. This has been a force from the season’s first week, when Browns defensive lineman Myles Garrett was flagged when he hit Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, extending a drive that resulted in a Pittsburgh touchdown in a game that ended in a tie.

All of this adds up to something clear: Offensive players, and in particular quarterbacks, are receiving more protection from officials than ever. And it’s another reason why scoreboards are lighting up across the league.

Also:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/10/16/17982878/weird-football-high-scoring-low-margin-victory-parity-dallas-cowboys

Good luck trying to build a team with defense because you can't.
None of this really matters in terms of the offensive-or-defensive HC debate.  Maybe in the modern NFL, a defensive genius who can consistently hold opposing offenses to <24 points per game is the equivalent of the 1985 Bears.  What you're arguing is that high quality defense looks different than it used to, not that defenses don't matter.

None of this really matters in terms of the offensive-or-defensive HC debate.  Maybe in the modern NFL, a defensive genius who can consistently hold opposing offenses to <24 points per game is the equivalent of the 1985 Bears.  What you're arguing is that high quality defense looks different than it used to, not that defenses don't matter.
Actually what I'm saying is you never hire a DC as your head coach anymore because the O has such a huge advantage now. You must have a 10-15 year franchise QB now more than ever. So if you have one of those, you need to keep continuity and that is what you see in LAR and NO where the HC runs the O. If you hire a DC and you are successful on O, then you will lose your OC and have to start over. See ATL. that hurt them bad. Now SF is trying to be like LAR and NO. Plus, how long do powerhouse D's last? A few years tops.

Helmet to helmet hit = first down. Drives continue. Doesn't matter how great your HC/DC is, that cannot be prevented.

Heck, look no further than JAX. Doesn't matter how great their D is, they made a 1 year run with it. They should be the poster child for what is needed. Yeah, Doug Marrone is an O guy but he's got no QB.

It actually hasn’t ebbed and flowed. Offensive production has done nothing but gone up since the beginning of the league. Yes, there have been down years (bad QB’s, bad teams, great defenses), but over the course of time total yards has gone up and passing over running has gone up. On top of that running efficiency has gone up with the fewer touches per game (which I don’t think is an indication of anything, of course infrequency of one or the other should lead to higher efficiency based off the defenses lack of prediction of the next play).

To sort of put this back on topic: I think Lincoln Riley would be one of the top choices for NFL teams even though I’m sure the Chip Kelly stigma still exists. 

Packers are hell bent on an awful coach... interviewing Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano back to back. Vomit worthy.

Iceman03 said:
Packers are hell bent on an awful coach... interviewing Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano back to back. Vomit worthy.
I’m pretty sure I’ve been critical of Caldwell in the past but is he really ‘vomit worthy’? The guy had three straight winning seasons at Detroit. Who else has done that? They looked a lot worse this year.

Users who are viewing this thread