What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Your Body Mass Index (BMI)? (1 Viewer)

What's Your Body Mass Index (BMI)?

• Below 18.5: Underweight

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 18.5—24.9: Normal

Votes: 54 42.2%
  • 25.0—29.9: Overweight

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • 30.0 and Above: Obese

Votes: 31 24.2%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Talking about Weight and Body Mass Index (BMI). Vote in the poll with where you fall on the BMI scale. No names are made public.

If you feel like it, post your number here and discuss. But be 100% cool with this. I've got a low tolerance for people making fun of other people for being overweight.

And yes, BMI is clearly not the perfect measure. It fails to take into account very muscular people and bodybuilders or pro athletes can show as obese. That's not most of us though.

It's simple weight and height. 

Calculator here https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

BMI weight Status

Below 18.5: Underweight

18.5—24.9: Normal

25.0—29.9: Overweight

30.0 and Above: Obese

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is actually a pretty crappy measurement. Even if I cut 30lbs of fat—at which point i would be incredibly lean and pretty ripped, and not reasonable attainable for me—it would still have me as as overweight. 

Wow this is actually a pretty crappy measurement. Even if I cut 30lbs of fat—at which point i would be incredibly lean and pretty ripped, and not reasonable attainable for me—it would still have me as as overweight. 
I have a feeling you & I got to 28.5 in different ways. Aren't you like 6'10" with giant hands?

I have a feeling you & I got to 28.5 in different ways. Aren't you like 6'10" with giant hands?
6’4” and with at least some muscle (never been one of those string beany tall guys). My body fat percentage is hovering around 23% (just within the “acceptable” range for men).  Feels like that’s a much more useful number. 

I'm 27.7. Which feels "relatively" ok. But is right in the middle of overweight. 

Your BMI is 27.7, indicating your weight is in the Overweight category for adults of your height.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 136 to 184 pounds.
No way could I get down in the 130's but 185 is not out of the question. That's 19 pounds less than where I am. 

I'm 27.7. Which feels "relatively" ok. But is right in the middle of overweight. 

No way could I get down in the 130's but 185 is not out of the question. That's 19 pounds less than where I am. 
Exactly. And I believe you’re a lean and healthy guy. BMI seeming awful silly here. 

I always think it's skewed too low but study after study (like the one you linked) put a high value on this. Maybe because it's so simple to calculate compared to body fat percentage. 

6’4” and with at least some muscle (never been one of those string beany tall guys). My body fat percentage is hovering around 23%. Feels like that’s a much more useful number. 
Because it is. Muscle weights more than fat. Not all weight is the same. 

6’4” and with at least some muscle (never been one of those string beany tall guys). My body fat percentage is hovering around 23% (just within the “acceptable” range for men).  Feels like that’s a much more useful number. 
I'm 6'0" and 215. And mine's not "heavy bones" or muscle - it's straight flab, homey. I really have no excuse, other than I'm lazy as hell.

I always think it's skewed too low but study after study (like the one you linked) put a high value on this. Maybe because it's so simple to calculate compared to body fat percentage. 
Simplicity is correct. Humans crave simple answers to wrong questions. 

Body fat scales do a reasonable job these days. 

Thanks. Do you have recommendations on some good ones with links?
I’ve had the Fitbit Aria for some years now, and it seems to work reasonably well. Dehydration and things like that can skew the results, but it’s generally good for trends.  It’s akso WiFi connected, and automatically populates my MyFitnessPal app every time I weigh myself. Pretty great. 

It looks like this next gen version tracks even more stats: https://www.pcmag.com/review/357402/fitbit-aria-2

I’ve had the Fitbit Aria for some years now, and it seems to work reasonably well. Dehydration and things like that can skew the results, but it’s generally good for trends.  It’s akso WiFi connected, and automatically populates my MyFitnessPal app every time I weigh myself. Pretty great. 

It looks like this next gen version tracks even more stats: https://www.pcmag.com/review/357402/fitbit-aria-2
Thanks. That's helpful. I don't do the fitbit thing but looks like the Nokia is recommended as a stand alone that is good too. https://www.pcmag.com/review/356945/nokia-body-smart-scale . I'll check it out. I always thought the bio impedence scales were not too accurate and never gave them much consideration. 

Thanks. That's helpful. I don't do the fitbit thing but looks like the Nokia is recommended as a stand alone that is good too. https://www.pcmag.com/review/356945/nokia-body-smart-scale . I'll check it out. I always thought the bio impedence scales were not too accurate and never gave them much consideration. 
The Nokia one is what used to be withings. It is probably the best reviewed one out there.  The Aria is probably the simplest to get up and running and sync with Fitbit. I have the 1st Gen Aria.

173.3 13.4% 5-10"

I have calipers and do a reality check monthly vs the scale and it does ok.

I have the Aria 2 and it works well for me.  That said, I only considered scales that were part of the Fitbit eco-system, sending my stats directly to the Fitbit app.  There’s definitely cheaper, effective BF scales out there if Fitbit compatibly isn’t a consideration.

According to the Aria, my BMI has been averaging around 21 for the last month, and my BF around 18.5%.

6'0, 170

When I was younger I was 6'1 and got up to 185. I worked out all the time back then-non stop essentially when you included all the recreational sports i played. I always wanted to get to around 200 lbs with low body fat but I've never been able to put on weight. I was eating raw tuna, daily protein mixes, amino acids, all kinds of supplements for years in my 20's and 30's but could just never add the weight. I guess I have a high metabolism. I've definitely added belly fat as I've got older but I still eat probably 2 1.5 qt containers of ice cream a week. Both my blood pressure and cholesterol levels are great too.

I’m 6’ 180 pretty lean and strong. I’m .6 from being overweight. 

You could easily lose more than 30 though. 

bio impedience is what we use at our training center. We have a $10,000 InBody. But a decent scale, as long as you measure yourself at the same time of day and roughly around the same hydration level, is fine. 

So if you take the first measurement at 6am before coffee when you had a healthy dinner the night before, don’t remeasure at 11 pm after 2 beers and a day of binging on salt and carbs. 

Talking about Weight and Body Mass Index (BMI). Vote in the poll with where you fall on the BMI scale. No names are made public.

If you feel like it, post your number here and discuss. But be 100% cool with this. I've got a low tolerance for people making fun of other people for being overweight.

And yes, BMI is clearly not the perfect measure. It fails to take into account very muscular people and bodybuilders or pro athletes can show as obese. That's not most of us though.

Calculator here https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

BMI weight Status

Can we make fun of Otis?  Because I feel like we should be able to make fun of Otis.

I'm a monstrosity, BTW.  No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to quit the carbs.

Voted Obese.

Always thought BMI is a little off. At 6’2” they have me at 172 or so to be in the middle of normal which doesn’t seem right to me. Around 150 would be on the low end of normal which on me would be ridiculous.

Also, Trump’s last physical had himself at 29.99 which is beyond laughable.

Most people overestimate what their ‘lean’ weight is. 

For example - when I was 6’ 230lbs I always used to think I would look great at 200. 

My ideal lean and muscular weight is 170. If I’m not weight training my lean weight would be 160-165. 

We get clients who are 5’9” 240lbs who swear they can only get down to 190. No. You are still overweight at that level unless you are crazy built. 

Your BMI is 27.7, indicating your weight is in the Overweight category for adults of your height.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 136 to 184 pounds.
I’m right here with you at 26.7. 6’ - 197. 

I also found the low end range of 136-184 hilarious. But it correlates with what I “know” I should be at, which in my mind is 170-180. 

Dexa scans and the like are better than a straight BMI but those cost $$$.  Odds are if you are obese on BMI you are simply fat. If you can rep 225 on bench and squat your weight 10x I'll hear arguments otherwise. 

For men basically any body fat % over 15 is trouble. Women in the 25 range.

Every 1% over that is basically linearly associated with heart disease risk and it really ramps at 30% for men. 

6-1 210lbs  27.7 :confused:   I have worked out 4-5 days a week forever.

32-34 pant size. No gut.. If I crunch hard enough I can see a little bit of abs.

I guess I am obese.

I'm 6ft3 and at 204# I've never been in better shape in my adult life. 

According to this, Still overweight" at 25.5 BMI.  I'd look like I had a terminal disease if I lost 30 or 35 # to get to the low side of "normal". Let that BS blow away with the breeze. 

Pay attention to your BF%.  If you care about #s beyond that, worry about getting your strength up, lung capacity up and your resting heart rate lower.   Don't sweat BMI too much. 

Sweat, just don't sweat BMI.

BMI weight Status

High enough it doesn't need carded when it buys a beer at the local pub. :coffee:

For the information you entered:

Height: 6 feet, 2 inches

Weight: 270 pounds

Your BMI is 34.7, indicating your weight is in the Obese category for adults of your height.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 144 to 194 pounds.
:lmao:    :lmao:   First off, I'm not seeing that weight until at least 6 months after I'm dead.

Secondly, I saw my dad - of similar size - diet himself down to 210 pounds. He looked like death warmed over; sunken cheeks, etc. Forget that.

Even though I have a mechanical aortic valve with my high BP under control, I'm not a total slug and do yoga 3-4 times a week with occasional walks in the woods to take pictures. I'm doing OK IMO.

I also heard from a healthcare professional that maintaining BALANCE is a real key as we age. Two small ways to combat that is by putting on your socks while standing up and drying off your legs after showering by lifting and toweling one at a time rather than drying your legs/feet with both feet on the ground.

eta: Of course yoga is best for this. 

Also re BF% scales, I have the first gen Aria.  It worked well for a while, I met the batteries in it die and it was offline for a while.  Ever since I put batteries back in and resyched everything, it measures me at 43 to 46% BF.  😄

Which, I've been there or close  to it before.  I'm not near it now

I also heard from a healthcare professional that maintaining BALANCE is a real key as we age. Two small ways to combat that is by putting on your socks while standing up and drying off your legs after showering by lifting and toweling one at a time rather than drying your legs/feet with both feet on the ground. 
Probably not bad advice. Broken hips are not the MVP of old age.  

For those who want simple, many researchers recognizing the inherent limitations of BMI are focusing now on waist-to-height ratio, in large part (pun intended) because high levels of abdominal fat has been shown to be a key, independent indicator of increased health risks.  Recommendations can differ a bit, but in the simplest terms your waist (measured at the level of the belly button) should be about 1/2 your height, or a ratio of .50.  Some have dug a little deeper and come up with recommendations that differ by age, sex, etc.

Wikipedia entry, which has links to some of the studiesPhil Maffetone has written a lot about this as well.   

Users who are viewing this thread