Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Dan

Elijah Holyfield - RB 2019 Class

Holyfield seems to be a guy, on film, who is good at everything but elite in few. However, that's more than a lot of backs eligible for 2019 can say. I'm very interested in him as a potential true NFL bell cow, a guy who may be suddenly in discussion for a top rookie pick after a good combine, and if he is picked in the top 50

Assuming he declares for 2019 (which I think he will), what do people think about him?

He jumps out at me on tape, but seems to be flying under the radar because of Swift

Edited by Dr. Dan

He's moving up the board in my mind, but I still slot him behind Harris, Montgomery, Love, and Snell.   Rodney Anderson and his injuries are the big question.  If he does well at the combine I would consider moving him up.  

9 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

He's moving up the board in my mind, but I still slot him behind Harris, Montgomery, Love, and Snell.   Rodney Anderson and his injuries are the big question.  If he does well at the combine I would consider moving him up.  

My top 5 has changed considerably. 

1. Anderson, assuming a healthy combine

2. Henderson

3. Holyfield

4. Montgomery

5. Harris

Edited by Dr. Dan

17 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

2. Henderson

3. Holyfield

4. Montgomery

5. Harris

Henderson?   Also, you would be hard pressed to find anyone ranking Montgomery 4th on their list of RBs.  As for Anderson, it's a big reach to put him #1 IMO due to his injuries.   If he blows away the combine I might have a change of heart, but as of now, no way.

Edited by JohnnyU

10 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Henderson?   Also, you would be hard pressed to find anyone ranking Montgomery 4th on their list of RBs.  As for Anderson, it's a big reach to put him #1 IMO due to his injuries.   If he blows away the combine I might have a change of heart, but as of now, no way.

I understand my ranking of Montgomery is low. I've had him #1 for a while. What I've done is looked at who I honestly think can be a true bell cow in the NFL. Montgomery needs the perfect destination to have that shot. The guys above him, IMO, have the potential to take the #1 role. 

I'd encourage you to take a look at Henderson... I think he is being overlooked for idk why. Guy is amazing and one of the true playmakers in this draft. He makes Love look like old news

As far as Anderson goes, his injuries arent indicative of being injury prone, and I'm assuming a healthy combine. If he doesnt do well I obviously drop him down. 

5 hours ago, BigBlue_RI said:

His nickname will be Real Deal—my only projection on him I can offer right now.

Are you allowed to just straight up steal your fathers nickname like that? 

5 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

2. Henderson

3. Holyfield

4. Montgomery

5. Harris

Oof.  Uninspiring group of RBs for 2019 draft.

no 1st round NFL draft picks in that group.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

Yeah no one on the same level as penny in this draft... :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2018 at 3:09 PM, Dr. Dan said:

penny is going to be a steal for anyone who can acquire him cheaply.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Dr. Dan said:

I don't think his statement was that controversial. To your point on Penny, sure there's a chance some one will sneak into the first round like Penny did, but right now it looks like teams wanting a RB will likely wait it out. This is not an exciting group right now - it doesn't mean that no one will emerge or that there's nothing to like.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I don't think his statement was that controversial. To your point on Penny, sure there's a chance some one will sneak into the first round like Penny did, but right now it looks like teams wanting a RB will likely wait it out. This is not an exciting group right now - it doesn't mean that no one will emerge or that there's nothing to like.

People are judging this class based off the potential lack of 1st round draft selections. I'm just pointing out that 1st round doesn't guarantee success (and penny wasn't considered a 1st round talent by many draft evaluators). Penny might have a great career but it's not off to a good start. 

Regardless, this draft should see a large number of day 2 and 3 RBs selected. And we've seen a lot of success from those selections in recent years. 

If Holyfield comes out (which I think he'd be buried next year if he didn't), I wouldn't hope for him to be a round 3 or later selection as I think he could be a sneaky dyno pick round 2. But if he comes out I think he climbs draft boards pretty quickly. He's a beast. 

On 12/9/2018 at 1:15 PM, ILUVBEER99 said:

You are probably right. Most mock drafts have 0 RBs in the first round: https://www.reddit.com/r/DynastyFF/comments/a40tz1/2019_first_round_expectations_part_3/

1 minute ago, Dr. Dan said:

People are judging this class based off the potential lack of 1st round draft selections. I'm just pointing out that 1st round doesn't guarantee success.

But it is an indicator of success and thus people are right to point that out. It's a very weak RB class. Doesn't mean nobody will succeed, just means that odds are lower than other classes. If KC drafts a top 3 prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round, that guy will probably be a top 3 dynasty rookie pick, though. Montgomery is a lot of people's RB1 in this class, so if he were to go to KC in round 2, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 1.01. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

People are judging this class based off the potential lack of 1st round draft selections. I'm just pointing out that 1st round doesn't guarantee success (and penny wasn't considered a 1st round talent by many draft evaluators). Penny might have a great career but it's not off to a good start. 

Of course it doesn't guarantee success but it speaks to perceived talent level - and if you look back you'd see most first round RBs in recent years have been very successful - and Penny actually looked good enough at times to have his owners not feeling like their pick was a total waste (it's just that Carson played very well and kept the job).

1 hour ago, FF Ninja said:

But it is an indicator of success and thus people are right to point that out. It's a very weak RB class. Doesn't mean nobody will succeed, just means that odds are lower than other classes. If KC drafts a top 3 prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round, that guy will probably be a top 3 dynasty rookie pick, though. Montgomery is a lot of people's RB1 in this class, so if he were to go to KC in round 2, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 1.01. 

Yes this we can agree on 100%. The RB class is not perceived as deep as the last 2 years, or as next year (although I'd argue that it will produce just as many fantasy legitimate RBs as the 2018 class will). There is some good talent there definitely. And it all depends on destination. If Henderson, Anderson, or Montgomery go to KC round 2 then they should be in contention for 1.1

36 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Of course it doesn't guarantee success but it speaks to perceived talent level - and if you look back you'd see most first round RBs in recent years have been very successful - and Penny actually looked good enough at times to have his owners not feeling like their pick was a total waste (it's just that Carson played very well and kept the job).

Yes, there was something posted sometime this last off season post-draft that showed the percent chance of landing a starting RB in the NFL draft by round, and it drastically went down from 1 to 2, and even more to 3. 

Edited by Dr. Dan

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

The RB class is not perceived as deep as the last 2 years, or as next year (although I'd argue that it will produce just as many fantasy legitimate RBs as the 2018 class will)

This is a tough sell imo.

2018 we had:

- A sure fire stud in Barkly;

- a guy that came out of nowhere to become a fantasy difference maker in Lindsey;

- two guys that produced well and looked great once they got the chance in Chubb and Michel - both are close to stud status already;

- one guy that got injured just as he was breaking out and looked very good in Johnson;

- two guys that showed some flashes but were stuck behind guys producing well in Freeman and Penny;

- one guy still expected to be a feature back and should produce but tore and ACL in Guice;

- a few others that were useful at times (but could fade away) in Edwards and Hines.

I'm not sure there's even enough opportunities available without injuries for the 2019 backs to see enough of a workload to produce consistently. How many openings are there for some one to step in right away (and that's before we see those teams fill the need in free agency)?

I'm not trying to bash this draft class - and I surely need to study up more - but most of the above guys were far more hyped than anyone coming out in 2019.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

penny is going to be a steal for anyone who can acquire him cheaply.

Define cheaply? This is a hard guy for me to put proper value on.  If they dealt Carson this off-season, which I've not heard they will just throwing it out, I'd probably value him over 1.1 in this draft. Just a problem for maybe two more years is that you got two really good looking backs and you need RB's to be highly active in the passing game for that to support two of them as viable fantasy players. 

On 12/9/2018 at 8:32 AM, Dr. Dan said:

I'd encourage you to take a look at Henderson... I think he is being overlooked for idk why. Guy is amazing and one of the true playmakers in this draft. He makes Love look like old news

As far as Anderson goes, his injuries arent indicative of being injury prone, and I'm assuming a healthy combine. If he doesnt do well I obviously drop him down. 

I'm a little behind on my scouting this year due to lack of excitement about the class.  Due to spending the entire day Sunday watching football I generally  limit myself to around 1-2 college football games on Saturday, so I only watch marquee games, Memphis obviously not making the cut so I've never watched an actual game of his.  A few weeks ago I went to look for full game video cut-ups of Henderson but could only find highlights.***(Side note, I'm hurting with NFL Draftbreakdown shutting down, any recommendations from people where I can find full game cut-ups, not highlights?) ***    Anyway back to Henderson,  scouting based on highlights is NOT recommended but I was kind of blown away by his highlights and wondered same thing as you, why is this guy getting overlooked and not talked about more?  Can't imagine a pre-draft scenario I'd value Love over him, I was not even high on Love last year when he was actually running well, just don't see his skill set translate to NFL fantasy production.

I don't want to go down an injury prone rabbit hole debate but Anderson has had numerous injuries and I'm going to red flag his health no matter how he checks out at the combine. But, had he come out last year he'd have competed for Guice for my RB2.  Considering my less then stellar views on this draft class I'd be willing to put a RB I view as having massive injury concerns in the mix as top RB so for me injury concerns or not if he checks out at the combine he'll be in the mix.

• Like 1

This is from Dane Brugler who writes for the The Athletic and he is pretty solid, this is about two weeks old:

Running backs

1. Josh Jacobs, Alabama (5-9, 213, 4.49)

2. Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic (5-9, 202, 4.49)

3. Damien Harris, Alabama (5-10, 216, 4.53)

4. Zack Moss, Utah (5-9, 220, 4.53)

5. David Montgomery, Iowa State (5-10, 222, 4.58)

6. Darrell Henderson, Memphis (5-8, 199, 4.55)

7.Miles Sanders, Penn State (5-10, 214, 4.52)

8. Trayveon Williams, Texas A&M (5-9, 200, 4.47)

9. Elijah Holyfield, Georgia (5-11, 214, 4.55)

10. Benny Snell, Kentucky (5-10, 223, 4.56)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

although I'd argue that it will produce just as many fantasy legitimate RBs as the 2018 class will

That is a crazy statement, Dr. Dan. As Dr. O pointed out, 2018 was a wildly successful RB class even with a few guys sputtering out of the gate. IMO, Barkley and Chubb both look like bonafide studs. Kerryon and Michel look about as good as I could hope for anyone from this class to be. Guice is better than anyone in this class, IMO. Freeman might be playing behind Lindsay, but I like what I've seen from him when he plays.

1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

And it all depends on destination

That's half of it. Not all of it. Talent and game maturity still matter. Everyone thought Penny and Rojo landed themselves into starting jobs. KC is obviously a special situation, but if the guy doesn't hit the ground running, it's not inconceivable that Williams or Ware re-signs and holds off the rookie.

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

This is a tough sell imo.

2018 we had:

- A sure fire stud in Barkly;

- a guy that came out of nowhere to become a fantasy difference maker in Lindsey;

- two guys that produced well and looked great once they got the chance in Chubb and Michel - both are close to stud status already;

- one guy that got injured just as he was breaking out and looked very good in Johnson;

- two guys that showed some flashes but were stuck behind guys producing well in Freeman and Penny;

- one guy still expected to be a feature back and should produce but tore and ACL in Guice;

- a few others that were useful at times (but could fade away) in Edwards and Hines.

I'm not sure there's even enough opportunities available without injuries for the 2019 backs to see enough of a workload to produce consistently. How many openings are there for some one to step in right away (and that's before we see those teams fill the need in free agency)?

I'm not trying to bash this draft class - and I surely need to study up more - but most of the above guys were far more hyped than anyone coming out in 2019.    

I disagree with where you put a lot of those backs above. 

I think the number of fantasy relevant RBs will be higher in 2019 than 2018. I'm not saying there will be studs at the level of Barkley or Chubb (Michel I would not put in stud category). At this point Penny and Freeman hav enot been fantasy relevant. Guice has not been and is unknown (although I am high on him). Edwards and Hines were not terribly relevant. Lindsey has a major questionmark going forward for several reasons. I don't think it's unrealistic to say that 2019 will produce 5 fantasy relevant RBs. But this is a Holyfield thread. 

Edited by Dr. Dan

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I disagree with where you put a lot of those backs above. 

Where I put them? I merely told their stories - and was completely accurate. Now ok I said Cubb and Michel "are close to stud status already" and that can be left to interpretation but if you look at the numbers Michel put up in games he was healthy it was stud production - whether he continues that trend is unknown though.  

3 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

At this point Penny and Freeman hav enot been fantasy relevant.

It depends on how we want to define "fantasy relevant". They were not fantasy relevant producers most weeks in 2018, but they showed they can play and they are very relevant for dynasty rosters.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Guice has not been and is unknown

Edwards and Hines were not terribly relevant.

Sure, Guice is an unknown but so is the 2019 class. If he was in this draft he'd be the top rated back though without much question.

Edwards was once he got the starting gig - Hines was decent in ppr leagues a few weeks (but will concede he's likely not a long term asset, and I have doubts on Edwards as well.

Anyway, yes this is a player thread and not a general "class of 2019" thread, so I'll move along - it just seems like a strange stance to take (almost like your trying to will it to be the reality), especially after what we actually saw these backs do in 2018. I hope we have another great class of RBs come in, but this is the least hyped class I have seen in a while and I think there's a reason for that.

Just now, Dr. Octopus said:

I hope we have another great class of RBs come in, but this is the least hyped class I have seen in a while and I think there's a reason for that.

It depends who declares and where they land, but there are some interesting prospects out there who are pretty impressive  to me. No one at the level of Barkley, but I think there are 2-3 backs who can be just as good as Michel. It's not hyped very much, no, because of the lack of a top level talent like Barkley and even 1st round rated talent. But, if you look at the last 2 years much of the RB hype came from round 2 or later... 2017:  Cook, Mixon, Kamara, Hunt, Conner, Cohen, Jones... none of them 1st round selections and only 2 of them 2nd rounders. 2018: Chubb, Johnson, Guice, Lindsay, Freeman, Hines, Adams even.
I don't recall there being a lot of hype around any of those guys selected after round 2. 

All I'm saying is that people criticize this class because there isn't a Barkley. There isn't. Nor is there anyone I would feel comfortable with my team taking round 1. But that doesn't mean there's not some pretty solid talent in this draft that can be had NFL rounds 2-4 similar to the last 2 years. It's not nearly as deep as the last 2 years, I completely agree, but there are some gems in this class IMO

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Anyway, yes this is a player thread and not a general "class of 2019" thread, so I'll move along - it just seems like a strange stance to take (almost like you're trying to will it to be the reality), especially after what we actually saw these backs do in 2018. I hope we have another great class of RBs come in, but this is the least hyped class I have seen in a while and I think there's a reason for that.

This.

The 2019 class feels a bit like the 2013 class as far as hype goes. 

It's going to be fascinating to see how things come together with this RB class. Pecking order at the top seems completely up in the air.

The two guys who I am most intrigued with are Darrell Henderson and Josh Jacobs. Henderson has an uncanny ability to bounce off of tacklers and break long runs. Jacobs seems like the best pass-catching back and also has plenty of size as well. When we've seen guys come from the middle in the pack in their draft class to have huge fantasy value, it has often been guys who excel as receivers (Kamara, Le'Veon, David Johnson, etc.), so I think he's a guy you have to keep an eye on if he declares. 

• Like 1

officially declares. IMO hes a better NFL prospect than Swift. Top 5 easy for me so far

Edited by Dr. Dan
  • Like 1

Georgia junior RB Elijah Holyfield declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Holyfield (5'11/215) is a gifted athlete who will enter the NFL with not a lot of milage on his body. In his three-year career at Georgia, Holyfield averaged 6.2 yards on only 215 carries. Most of that volume came this season when he posted a 159-1,018-7 rushing line (6.4 YPC). Only used as a pure runner at Georgia, Holyfield is likely destined for a run-first role in the NFL, but let's see what the former four-star recruit can do at the NFL Combine first.

Source: Elijah Holyfield on Twitter 

Jan 4 - 6:06 PM

Elijah Holyfield - RB -  Bulldogs

The Draft Network's Joe Marino believes "it's time" for Georgia RB Elijah Holyfield to be "mentioned as one of the top backs in the class."

Marino believes Holyfield is "the real deal" and believes he has a lot of traits that will make him successful in the NFL. Marino explains, "A masterful between the tackles runner, Holyfield does well to find creases and angle his frame to get through cracks while taking advantage of his low center of gravity and power to fight for every inch." His ability as a pure-runner will likely land him as an early-down running back for an NFL team.

Source: The Draft Network 

Feb 10 - 11:28 AM

I'm seriously considering going with Jacobs, Holyfield, Henderson picks 1-3 and saying screw these wrs!

47 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I'm seriously considering going with Jacobs, Holyfield, Henderson picks 1-3 and saying screw these wrs!

That would be a big mistake IMO.

29 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

That would be a big mistake IMO.

If they get to great destinations it could be a great move. The more I read a out these wrs the less I like the top ones. The general consensus seems to be they are tall and slow. Theres just as much risk in them as there is in any of the top 4 or 5 RBs. 

Starting to like these RBS more the more I read about them. Holyfield could be a big draft riser. 

Again, it all depends on destination for all of these guys. If the top 3 WRs end up in Baltimore, Buffalo, Jacksonville I likely pass on all 3. 

Edited by Dr. Dan

9 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

If they get to great destinations it could be a great move. The more I read a out these wrs the less I like the top ones. The general consensus seems to be they are tall and slow. Theres just as much risk in them as there is in any of the top 4 or 5 RBs. 

Starting to like these RBS more the more I read about them. Holyfield could be a big draft riser. 

Again, it all depends on destination for all of these guys. If the top 3 WRs end up in Baltimore, Buffalo, Jacksonville I likely pass on all 3. 

You have to take hype with a grain of salt.  Most prospects are praised before the draft.  No way in hell would I take Henderson in the top 3.  I would definitely take either Brown or Harry before taking either Henderson or Holyfield in a PPR league and probably would in a standard as well.  In a dynasty league where you're rebuilding, I wouldn't take RBs 1, 2, and 3 in a what I perceive as a weak RB class.  It's bad enough their NFL lifespan is short as it is.

Edited by JohnnyU

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

You have to take hype with a grain of salt.  Most prospects are praised before the draft.  No way in hell would I take Henderson in the top 3.  I would definitely take either Brown or Harry before taking either Henderson or Holyfield in a PPR league and probably would in a standard as well.

Henderson or Holyfield are very possibly the 2nd RB taken. If Henderson is taken by KC, you dont select him top 3? 

Holyfield was recently mocked to GB round 1. You dont take him top 3 if that happens? 

Weird 

Edited by Dr. Dan

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Henderson or Holyfield are very possibly the 2nd RB taken. If Henderson is taken by KC, you dont select him top 3? 

Holyfield was recently mocked to GB round 1. You dont take him top 3 if that happens? 

Weird 

What makes you think Henderson can even beat out Williams?  Same for Holyfield with Jones.  Henderson is perceived as a COP back and I don't see any reason to doubt the consensus. 

Edited by JohnnyU

21 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

What makes you think Henderson can even beat out Williams?  Same for Holyfield with Jones.  Henderson is perceived as a COP back and I don't see any reason to doubt the consensus. 

perceived by you. Henderson is much more than a COP back.

I am a huge Jones fan, but there are certainly questionmarks surrounding his health as well as the new coach. It wouldnt surprise me if the organization went a different direction to give the coach the players he wants. after all, Jones not only isnt this coach's player, hes not even this GMs player. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

perceived by you. Henderson is much more than a COP back.

I am a huge Jones fan, but there are certainly questionmarks surrounding his health as well as the new coach. It wouldnt surprise me if the organization went a different direction to give the coach the players he wants. after all, Jones not only isnt this coach's player, hes not even this GMs player. 

If I had the first 3 picks in a PPR Dynasty League this is what I would do.

1.1 - Josh Jacobs unless he gets drafted in a bad situation, otherwise it's either Brown or Harry

1.2 - A J Brown - Unless he gets drafted with a bad QB, then hopefully Harry or Harmon has a good QB throwing to them

1.3 - Trade down and pick up a 2020 1st, then if you're set on Henderson draft him later.

I just don't think this draft is strong enough with RBs to waste the first 3 picks on, or even 2 of 3 IMO.

Edited by JohnnyU

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

1.1 - Josh Jacobs unless he gets drafted in a bad situation, otherwise it's either Brown, Harry

1.2 - A J Brown - Unless he gets drafted with a bad QB, then hopefully Harry or Harmon has a good QB throwing to them

1.3 - Trade down and pick up a 2020 1st, then if you're set on Henderson draft him later.

interesting because this is another route I'm considering as well. I'm excited for the draft because rookie drafts will look very clear once that is over

8 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

interesting because this is another route I'm considering as well. I'm excited for the draft because rookie drafts will look very clear once that is over

Problem is, EVERY draft looks like Christmas to dynasty owners until they realize a year or two later it wasn't that good of a Christmas after all.  I think this draft is lacking with regards to QBs and RBs, more so with QBs.  Probably no stud RBs, but there are a couple of surprises sometimes.  Not sure I would want to risk a top pick on a questionable RB choice, but if I were RB needy I would consider Jacobs in the top 3 for sure.  The smart move would be to trade down with one of those picks and pick up a 2020 1st.

Edited by JohnnyU

Georgia RB Elijah Holyfield recorded 26 reps on the bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Holyfield (5'10/217) turned in the third-most bench press reps among combine running backs, trailing only Jalin Moore (27) and Alex Barnes (a just-plain-silly 34). No surprise that he excelled in this portion of testing, as the Georgia back's strength comes in, well, his strength. He plays with all kinds of physicality and is adept at grinding out extra yards after contact. Not a player to go down easy. We'll see on his speed on Friday. The Draft Network's Trevor Sikkema slotted Holyfield as a fourth-round pick by the Falcons in a recent mock draft.

SOURCE: NFL Draft on Twitter

Feb 28, 2019, 4:43 PM

On 2/10/2019 at 12:41 PM, JohnnyU said:

1.1 - Josh Jacobs unless he gets drafted in a bad situation, otherwise it's either Brown or Harry

I just don't think this draft is strong enough with RBs to waste the first 3 picks on, or even 2 of 3 IMO.

What if it was Non-PPR, TE Premo?

Tex

On 12/9/2018 at 9:19 AM, JohnnyU said:

Henderson is good. Landing spot is key for all these guys now.

I don't understand how he isn't projected higher.  He's virtually the same as Josh Jacobs, with close to the same amount of carries in college (although Jacobs got some looks earlier than Holyfield did), Holyfield had a better career YPC and competed against higher quality RB's I'd say for touches.  

Jacobs has past success in the pass catching game but that seems to be the biggest difference between them.  All I keep hearing about Jacobs is that he has low mileage and an all around skillset.  It's the same for Holyfield too minus the pass catching resume (although is more than capable as a 3rd down back, both pass pro and catching).