What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (3 Viewers)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
Another, what appears to be, under the radar name, and a guy who is solidly in my top 5 for rookie RBs.

He will get over looked because of his height (5'9), but he is solidly at 200 pounds. He has claimed 4.40 speed. He looks amazing on the field. 2nd in the NCAA in yards

I havent seen anyone talk about this guy, minus one in the 2019 thread, yet he has been just ripping up defenses this year.

This RB class gets a lot of criticism, but just because it lacks that stud at the top. I like my top 5 rookie RBs much better than I ever liked Jones, Freeman, Penny, and maybe even Michel

This guy is electric. I'm surprised he hasnt been mentioned at all as a potential top rb taken in rookie drafts, depending on destination

highlights

Last edited by a moderator:
I like him as well. Lindsay's success in Denver should open teams eyes to someone of similar size/speed in Henderson.
I'm surprised he hasnt gotten more attention for this very reason.

Henderson almost has the same career yardage in almost half the career attempts as Lindsay did in college. 

He is small but he is so hard to bring down because he is all muscle. 

He is my #2 RB in this class, easily

I like him as well. Lindsay's success in Denver should open teams eyes to someone of similar size/speed in Henderson.
Yep. If These small guys did not have the success they have had ( and actually given the chance), I would say this guy is a Darren Sproles. But he can be even more given the opportunity. It makes selecting a RB harder in FF. You could take this guy and hit the jackpot or the team he goes to think he's a full RBBC only.

Also in my top 5 because of Lindsey's success.  He will be hard to find behind the OL. There is benefit to that. He's hard to tackle like Holyfield and Montgomery.

What if KC takes this guy in say the 2nd or 3rd round? The speed on that team would be insane. I would have a hard time not taking him #1.
Exactly this. In one league I have 1.1 and two lower playoff teams' picks. I'd rather take the rb 1.1 and then go for the deep WR class later. 

Henderson has that "wow" factor. If he were to land in a good scenario we could be looking at a stud. 

He's one of the few guys I've seen some clips of already and good lord the dude is just slippery.  He runs like a snake weaving and bobbing through small gaps along with good quickness.  He's impressed me for sure already in the ~20 minutes I've seen of him.  That said, his blocking on a lot of that ~20 minutes was insanely good as well.  

He's one of the few guys I've seen some clips of already and good lord the dude is just slippery.  He runs like a snake weaving and bobbing through small gaps along with good quickness.  He's impressed me for sure already in the ~20 minutes I've seen of him.  That said, his blocking on a lot of that ~20 minutes was insanely good as well.  
Yes, exactly. I'm surprised people have him completely off their board at this point. It would be nice to see if he can create those initial yards, not just take what's given. So I agree, I've seen a lot of good blocking plays 

Matt Miller has him as his RB3 in this class and a fast riser

KC solution?

@lod001

The truth is, as a prospect the closest player that I can find to compare to Darrell Henderson is the New Orleans Saints superstar Alvin Kamara. The similarities are uncanny: both players are undersized, came out of college with a lack of elite traits but exceptional production, neither player had a high volume of touches in college. Henderson had substantially more production while Kamara had more injury concerns, but on tape, the players running styles are even comparable.

I dont think so, no. that seems to be pretty right in imo. isnt 6' 220 considered the ideal size?
Some great 6' RB's right now, so not a good time for me to have this view, but if I was constructing a RB I'd prefer them on the shorter side, in the 5'10" range but all in all a minor deal. We got some great all purpose RB's in all shapes and sizes in the NFL today.

menobrown said:
Some great 6' RB's right now, so not a good time for me to have this view, but if I was constructing a RB I'd prefer them on the shorter side, in the 5'10" range but all in all a minor deal. We got some great all purpose RB's in all shapes and sizes in the NFL today.
right. my post was meant that 5'10 114 isnt far off from a guy 6' 220

Memphis RB Darrell Henderson accepted an invitation to the NFL Draft Scouting Combine.

Zero surprise here. Henderson is considered by several analysts to be the top running back in the class, and there's a remote chance that if he tests well, he could be a Day 1 (First round) selection. Joshua Jacobs is probably the favorite for that now, but Henderson looks like a tremendous athlete on tape, and he'll get a chance to show how it translates at the combine. We're excited for every player going, but we really are intrigued by how Henderson will perform.

Source: Memphis Commercial Appeal

Jan 30 - 5:41 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller "can see Round 2" for Memphis RB Darrell Henderson.

Miller also said that Henderson's landing spot is dependent on where Alabama RB Joshua Jacobs gets drafted. Jacobs seems to be a fringe Day 1 prospect as of now -- Daniel Jeremiah mocked Jacobs as the 5th overall pick in his Mock Draft 1.0 -- so a second-round grade for Henderson makes sense to us. Henderson is as productive as a prospect can be, so his final draft grade is dependent on how he tests at the NFL Combine. 

Jan 18 - 7:19 PM

Source: Matt Miller on Twitter

Memphis RB Darrell Henderson forced the most missed tackles (56) of all AAC running backs.

Henderson (5'9/200) was clearly the best running back in the conference, beating the second-place runner Cincinnati RB Michael Warren (remember that name for a future NFL draft) by six missed tackles. Those forced missed tackles led to Henderson leading the NFL Combine invitees in rushing yards, YPC, 20+ yard gain percentage, rushing touchdowns, touchdown rate, and receiving marginal explosion. Despite the insane college production/efficiency, positional value and questions about Henderson handling a bell-cow role in the NFL will keep him outside of Round 1. Many draft analysts envision Henderson playing a complementary role like Jerick McKinnon or Tevin Coleman.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Feb 17, 2019, 5:07 PM

NFL Draft Scout's Ric Serritella lists Memphis RB Darrell Henderson as a potential starter that could be found on the second day.

Henderson (5'9/200) was a monster in 2018 when he was healthy, rushing for 1,909 yards and 22 touchdowns; and in both his sophomore and junior years, he ran for a ridiculous 8.9 yards per carry. Serritella notes he "demonstrates good vision and burst, along with a strong upper body, which makes for a powerful stiff-arm." He also notes that Henderson doesn't have elite size or speed, but his vision and effort should help compensate. IT's not hard to see Henderson being a starter in the NFL, and at very least, he should be a strong complementary back.

SOURCE: NFL Draft Scout

Feb 19, 2019, 6:39 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compares Memphis RB Darrell Henderson to Falcons RB Tevin Coleman and 49ers RB Jerick Mckinnon.

Despite the somewhat favorable comparisons, Miller questions Henderson's size (5'9/200) and believes he has "questionable vision and not much power through contact." He does think Henderson's "explosive as a runner/receiver/returner" but is more of a complimentary back. Henderson exploded for a ridiculous 1,909 yards (8.9 YPC) and 22 touchdowns during the 2018 season and is likely a Day 2 selection.

SOURCE: Matt Miller on Twitter

Feb 10, 2019, 10:55 AM

Pro Football Focus: The 101 best players in college football from 2018 (posted 1/9/19):

Henderson held on to the crown of most yards after contact this season, gaining a ridiculous 1,321 yards after first contact and averaging 6.17 yards after contact per attempt. No running back who carried the ball at least 61 times had a better average Yco./attempt as Henderson did a near-miraculous job of weaving his way through his impressive run blocking while also finding his own holes and breaking his own tackles in 2018.

Pro Football Focus: Quick look at the 2019 NFL Draft class' running backs on the ground, through the air (posted 6/1/18)

Top 2017 Elusiveness Rating among 2019-draft eligible RBs:
143.7    Darrell Henderson
127.2    David Montgomery
125.2    Damien Harris
124.6    Bryce Love

I currently have Henderson as the clear top RB in this draft class.
I suppose if he's drafted in the perfect situation he could do very well but I expect he will be a COP back and / or gadget player because of his size and inability to pass protect.  I don't see that being huge upside as far as fantasy is concerned.  I believe his ceiling is Nyheim Hines, who I like as a player, but I certainly wouldn't rank Handerson #1 RB in any draft class.

I've had him as my #2 for weeks now, but his game video excites me more than any other RB in this class.

Anyone able to obtain his date of birth?
I dont know how anyone can watch him and not get excited. guy is slippery. Like I said above, I may pass on Jacobs for Henderson... or try to trade down if I can

You guys are really killing my buzz that he'd be there at 1.08 or 1.09.
None of this really means a thing right now and won't till after the draft  but it's somewhat of a guide to how players are currently valued, at least in FFPC leagues where I"m guessing is where you own these picks. Right now he's the 4th RB rookie RB getting drafted in FFPC leagues.  I think you can get a good idea of rookie RB value relative to other rookie RB's from redraft and apply it to dynasty but again once the NFL draft happens this info probably won't mean squat.

You guys are really killing my buzz that he'd be there at 1.08 or 1.09.
If he is drafted by KC, he wont be there 1.8.

If he is the third or 4th rb taken in the NFL draft then I think its likely he falls. 1.8 might be just shy depending on team needs at 1.7. Consider the scenario where the RBs go Jacobs, Montgomery, Henderson in the NFL draft, and Henderson does not go to KC. You've got WRs who should go ahead of him in rookie drafts: Metcalf, AJ Brown, Harry, Harmon, maybe even Butler. Then Jacobs and Montgomery. Maybe even Hockenson depending where he lands. Then he should be there. But picks 1.6 and 1.7 are tricky and depend on team needs

I am kind of hoping he is there 1.7. I am debating between Hockenson or Henderson there at this point, but it's all just out of boredom because none of it matters until the draft. I dont think Hockenson is there at my next pick (2.1), but Fant and Smith should be if I want a te that badly. 

If he is drafted by KC I think he cracks to top 3 easy. PHI or NYJ may be a different story. 

Memphis RB Darrell Henderson measured in at 5-foot-8 and 208-pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine on Wednesday.

An inch shorter than we believed, but everything else is right around what was expected. Henderson was a monster at Memphis, but concerns about durability have many analysts wondering if he's a starter or complementary back. How he tests will go a long way towards formulating those opinions.

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Feb 27, 2019, 8:35 AM

6th highest BMI amongst RB weigh ins. Should be enough to get people to shut up about his size but judging by FBG’s history of ignoring facts and evidence it won’t be.

6th highest BMI amongst RB weigh ins. Should be enough to get people to shut up about his size but judging by FBG’s history of ignoring facts and evidence it won’t be.
5'8", 208# is fine if the other stuff checks out.  Nowhere near "too small" IMO.

Really liking him, surprised he's been so under the radar. Anyone know much about his pass catching ability?
55th percentile target share, pretty sure I had him top ten in RB recieving share but my numbers are at home. Tony Pollard cut into some of his recieving production so I have little concern there since he was still above average in that production.

Just watched Henderson’s highlights. He’s awesome. I’m on board. Hope he goes somewhere good.

Really liking him, surprised he's been so under the radar. Anyone know much about his pass catching ability?
There was one highlight I just watched of him catching the ball. He caught it with his body a big but caught it and then ran like a cheetah for the score. He’s a tenacious runner. I might like him more than Jacobs.

There was one highlight I just watched of him catching the ball. He caught it with his body a big but caught it and then ran like a cheetah for the score. He’s a tenacious runner. I might like him more than Jacobs.
I hope he goes somewhere good as well. I may draft him very high (1.3). trying to trade down. 1.4 doesn't want to trade but 1.5 does. At the same time, I played this game last year and ended up missing out on my guy, prompting an entire season of trying to correct the error through trading. worked out in the end but I still learned my lesson  

I hope he goes somewhere good as well. I may draft him very high (1.3). trying to trade down. 1.4 doesn't want to trade but 1.5 does. At the same time, I played this game last year and ended up missing out on my guy, prompting an entire season of trying to correct the error through trading. worked out in the end but I still learned my lesson  
Not crazy. I have 1.01 and if he goes to a good spot will consider him there. Sometimes taking a guy you love too high works out. The year Kamara and Hunt came out for example. I liked both more than Fournette but stupidly took fournette 1.01. Never again. I would have taken Kamara instead at 1.01 and everyone in my league would have flamed me but this is just to illustrate the point, if Henderson lands in a good spot and is what I think he is, then he could easily be the 1.01.

Also for those who say ‘just trade down’, to your point, there’s risk you lose your guy so be careful with that. 

I challenge anyone to find more enjoyable highlights from a RB in this draft. Based on highlights he's the clear cut #1RB.
Careful, JohnnyU will come in here any minute and tell you how great Josh Jacobs practice film is. 

On a serious note: I’ll put my chips all in on a sub 4.45 and say that if he’s in a groove he hits high 4.3’s and cements his place on my board barring some horrible situation like NYG.

Users who are viewing this thread