Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Dr. Dan

Darrell Henderson - LA Rams

We so need the season to start.  Too many people are taking what can only be conjecture as some kind of personal attack, are making mountains out of molehills, and some just seem to be content to make the same argument over and over and yet over again.

Take a breath, take a step back, maybe go out and do something while getting some fresh air, reset your patience.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, [icon] said:

Few folks being tools in here.

Let’s knock down the chippy ego slapfight crap and talk football please. 

No more warnings.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Arodin said:

New voice in here so hopefully this won’t get lost in the back and forth bickering even though it sounds like Jones’ repetitive point.

Henderson is indeed an electric player, but there seems to be a longstanding institutional pushback in the NFL toward smaller backs, such that they rarely get the workload that we fans think they are earning in head-to-head competitions.  Warrick Dunn, Tiki Barber, Dion Lewis types all seem to give way to bigger but less talented backs for reasons which appear rooted primarily in coaches’ bias.

I agree with this. I have long wondered why this is?

I recognize the bias exists and that it has an impact on touches/workload regardless of if it is rational coaching or not. Giovani Bernard for example, great RB imo but just never really got the chance to be their feature RB because the coaches didn't want him to be.

6 hours ago, Arodin said:

Seems to me that (if Gurley goes down for a lengthy period) expecting Brown to get more carries and goalline looks than his smaller but faster and more productive partner is a real concern, and it lowers my expectations for Henderson’s volume as a potential feature back.

To be fair I have been a believer in Brown since he was drafted, so I could be overstating his value.  But observations of history say that won’t matter since coaches will take carries away from a smaller back and give them to him even if his skill tops out at “TJ Duckett 2.0.”

So is the consensus of the Henderson backers that:

1) He’s just so good that it won’t matter? Or,

2) McVay is a new breed of coach who won’t fall prey to the institutional biases of the past generation?

Because otherwise I could easily see Henderson capped at a Tarik Cohen level of output and always being paired with a bulkier counterpart who siphons touches and touchdowns.  

1) I think Henderson is so good that it wouldn't matter against competition such as Brown and Kelly, but it does matter when the competition is as great as Todd Gurley.

2) McVay uses a lot of outside zone which according to Hendersons college coach fits his skill set perfectly. I agree. McVay is young enough that he might not share the view of coaches from past decades and eras. The GM Les Snead had Jeff FIsher as his head coach, just an example of the old guard of coaching philosophies, that didn't work out so well, despite the Rams having a ton of draft capital and a very talented roster. He brings in McVay and the turn around of the team was amazing. So I would think Snead is influenced by that. Listening to Sneads comments about Henderson, he is a player he thinks will be very hard to defend in the NFL and that they didn't want him going to another team. So Snead is definitely on board.

With a healthy Gurley I don't think Henderson gets the ball that much. The ceiling would be something like 120 rushing attempts and 50 receptions. RB two type numbers perhaps? His upside is very firmly capped by the greatness of Gurley in the short term.

Gurley hasn't been healthy and Henderson becomes a RB one contender if/when Gurley misses games though.

• Like 2

10 Observations from Rams minicamp

Excerpt:

Running back Darrell Henderson had the first play of those 11-on-11 drills, taking a screen down the sideline, avoiding the path of defenders with his shiftiness. Sure, the Rams don’t have pads on. But that is the kind of play that makes you feel like he can translate that ability to make people miss he displayed at Memphis to the highest level.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Uhhh so my post here from a couple days ago got deleted and I got banned for a day. I thought that it was 100% clear that I was being tongue-in-cheek making a light hearted joke but I guess I’ll apologize to anyone it may have offended. And I applaud Football Jones for taking the humor for what it was and responding in kind. That’s all carry on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/8/2019 at 6:14 PM, Biabreakable said:

I agree with this. I have long wondered why this is?

I recognize the bias exists and that it has an impact on touches/workload regardless of if it is rational coaching or not. Giovani Bernard for example, great RB imo but just never really got the chance to be their feature RB because the coaches didn't want him to be.

Bernard is an odd pick for an example.  I just don’t see where he’s shown any special traits in the opportunities he has had in his career - and he’s certainly gotten enough work - to show he’s anything more than a solid part of a RBBC.

There have been plenty of “little” guys who have gotten a chance to be RB1s and have thrived.  Just off the top if my head without researching:

Barry Sanders

Ray Rice

Deangelo Williams

Priest Holmes

Maurice Jones-Drew

Tiki Barber

Warrick Dunn

Some had incredible talent and innovative coaches, others like Barber, Williams, and Dunn were coached by traditional guys and had to have the opportunity appear out of necessity.  But talent will find its way onto the field one way or another.  

I don’t see McVay as a stodgy coach who has a throw-back mentality, and I see Henderson as having enough talent that he’s going to get his touches, now that Gurley appears to be in a situation where he is going to need to be on a touch count.  If Gurley were 100% I’m pretty sure he’s got enough talent to hold off almost anyone in the league, but that doesn’t appear to be the case any longer.  That’s what I’m relying on in my thought process.  We’ll see how it shakes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bronco Billy said:

There have been plenty of “little” guys who have gotten a chance to be RB1s and have thrived.  Just off the top if my head without researching:

Barry Sanders

Ray Rice

Deangelo Williams

Priest Holmes

Maurice Jones-Drew

Tiki Barber

Warrick Dunn

LeSean McCoy

Brian Westbrook

Phillip Lindsay

Jamaal Charles

Chris Johnson