What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (3 Viewers)

Encouraged by his usage and efficiency in the passing game. Disappointed because I thought the running game system was similar to what he ran in college....hopefully he can make progress in that arena.

Encouraged by his usage and efficiency in the passing game. Disappointed because I thought the running game system was similar to what he ran in college....hopefully he can make progress in that arena.
This is where I am. I think at this point Henderson is 3rd on the depth chart (at least) for rushing the ball but 1st for the catching back

He was really good in college on outside zone runs. That’s the fit people referenced. He’s struggling with inside zone/duo. This is all according to one of the Rams twitter guys who seems to know a whole lot more about it than I would ever claim. According to the reporter he’s admitted struggling to adapt and slow down to make the right read on the inside stuff. Not unusual for a young back.

@Dr. Dan I’ve noticed you have said Sony Michel is “Done” in a few places, and in here you diminish Henderson’s role due to the presence of Gurley.

Sincere question, what are the medical reasons behind your very different forecasts for these two backs with seemingly similar degenerative knee issues? 

@Dr. Dan I’ve noticed you have said Sony Michel is “Done” in a few places, and in here you diminish Henderson’s role due to the presence of Gurley.

Sincere question, what are the medical reasons behind your very different forecasts for these two backs with seemingly similar degenerative knee issues? 
IMO Michels knee seems worse than Gurley. I think both are ticking time bombs. Henderson hasnt looked great rushing the ball, so for 2019 I'm not as optimistic for his rushing potential.but things can change really fast. I stand by Henderson being the best back in this draft class from a talent perspective. I am tempering my expectations after seeing him in some pseudo NFL action, but I like his appeal as a flex option as a rookie in ppr. I wouldnt want him higher than RB4 on my roster for 2019

I’m so intrigued to see what happens when the Rams are in their base 3 wide with Kupp, Cooks, Woods and Henderson comes in. Will the defense go dime and leave only 5 linemen/lbs to defend the run? Or will they stay nickel and try to cover Henderson with a LB when he splits out? Or will they put a safety on Henderson and leave only a single safety to deal with Cooks/Kupp/Woods over the top? I think that’s the dimension McVay and the gm allude to when they say Henderson brings something new to the table.

IMO Michels knee seems worse than Gurley. I think both are ticking time bombs. Henderson hasnt looked great rushing the ball, so for 2019 I'm not as optimistic for his rushing potential.but things can change really fast. I stand by Henderson being the best back in this draft class from a talent perspective. I am tempering my expectations after seeing him in some pseudo NFL action, but I like his appeal as a flex option as a rookie in ppr. I wouldnt want him higher than RB4 on my roster for 2019
Problem with Henderson was his competition and his o-line created huge holes for him. He’s a got a big adjustment period ahead of him so the slow start shouldn’t be surprising.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem with Henderson was his competition and his o-line created huge holes for him. He’s a got a big adjustment period ahead of him so the slow start shouldn’t be surprising.
In redraft we need to temper expectations, but I love the kid in dynasty leagues...it will take him a while to get acclimated to the speed and nuances of the game, but we should see a huge leap next season 

The Athletic's Vincent Bonsignore expects Darrell Henderson to handle 9-12 touches per game as a rookie.

But Bonsignore also suggests Henderson is competing for the change-of-pace role with sophomore John Kelly, who has also been working with the Blake Bortles group this preseason like Henderson. Henderson has shown little as a runner in his preseason action, but the Rams also haven't been using their top-notch offensive linemen. Per Bonsignore, Todd Gurley has looked "fabulous and healthy" all summer. Gurley is still going to be the unquestioned lead back, but how the Rams split up the backfield is a question that has yet to be answered and likely won't be until Week 1 when games start to count. This is a fascinating group to track, and we haven't even mentioned Malcolm Brown yet.

Source: The Athletic

Aug 21, 2019, 3:21 PM ET

Darrell Henderson collected 28 yards on 11 carries while nabbing one catch for four yards on two targets in the Rams’ third preseason game Saturday against the Broncos.

His longest run went for nine yards. Notably, Henderson was stopped behind the line of scrimmage on a fourth-and-one opportunity early in the first quarter, which came after he was stuffed for no gain on the previous play. Henderson’s ADP has leveled out after spiking earlier this summer when Sean McVay made waves by suggesting the Rams could scale back Todd Gurley’s workload this season. The third-round rookie has had a tepid preseason to say the least, underwhelming by rushing for just 57 yards on 23 carries (2.48 yards per attempt). He’s fared better as a receiver, securing eight-of-nine targets for 37 yards out of the backfield. Despite an uneven preseason, the former Memphis Tiger remains an enticing handcuff, particularly given Gurley’s history of knee issues.

Aug 24, 2019, 11:15 PM ET

I know the McVay is sitting pretty much all meaningful skill position players all preseason games.

How about the O-line? Have the 1s been out there? 

I know the McVay is sitting pretty much all meaningful skill position players all preseason games.

How about the O-line? Have the 1s been out there? 
to my understanding, week 1 and 2 no, but they were supposed to go last night 

Got him late 9th (106th) in redraft (12 TM full PPR) as my RB4.

QB W W W R R T W/R/T 

Also got Hill in the 11th, Singletary in the 13th, Edmonds in the 15th, Ty Johnson in the 18th.

Missed out on Thompson (116th) and Mattison (185th.)

to my understanding, week 1 and 2 no, but they were supposed to go last night 
Not sure where you saw that but it was not what I ever heard.  Sitting starters all pre-season, which the exception of a few young guys on D, was what I always saw.  

In my main auction league I have Gurley and passed on DH for 5 (200 budget).  Am fine with it, got Payton Barber for the same price. DH hype is pretty flat right now.  

who did you take 1.10
Since you asked... :)

i had a choice of AJ Brown and Marquise Brown at 1.10, didn’t love either of them. I really wanted JJAW and was going to take him there at 1.10 but instead I made a trade down to 2.3, got Ekeler in exchange (I own Melvin Gordon) and then grabbed JJAW at 2.3. Just like I drew it up ;)  

joey said:
Gurley owner here as well and grabbed Henderson at 1.4 since I didn’t think he'd make it to my next pick at 1.10, and felt the WRs I’d be able to take all look the same to me. 
Gurley owner in my league passed on him at 1.5.  I GLADLY took him at 1.9.

I can keep him for a 13th rounder next year but we also have short benches so it could be touch and go if he doesn't produce this year.

Ok so let’s look at what his real upside is though. With gurley there he’s never going to be a featured back without an injury.  So barring a season ending injury to gurley over the next several years we are looking at a pass catching rb on a great offense who touches the ball 10-12 times per game.  Some games a little more some a little less.  

He will be volatile.   He will put up some rb2 weeks and some weeks that make us puke in our mouths.  And that’s not just for this year.  That’s for as long as gurley is on the rams and healthy (meaning they are managing his knee and he is playing every week).  

Regardless of talent,  does a back like that deserve to be in the 1st rd of rookie defat? He feels like a glorified handcuff to me.  

I want my mind to be changed BC I’m up at 1.9 rt now and he’s sitting there.  But so is devim singletary who I think has a clearer path to a meaningful starter workload.  N’keal Harry, Metcalf and hockenson all still there as well.  

Ok so let’s look at what his real upside is though. With gurley there he’s never going to be a featured back without an injury.  So barring a season ending injury to gurley over the next several years we are looking at a pass catching rb on a great offense who touches the ball 10-12 times per game.  Some games a little more some a little less.  

He will be volatile.   He will put up some rb2 weeks and some weeks that make us puke in our mouths.  And that’s not just for this year.  That’s for as long as gurley is on the rams and healthy (meaning they are managing his knee and he is playing every week).  

Regardless of talent,  does a back like that deserve to be in the 1st rd of rookie defat? He feels like a glorified handcuff to me.  

I want my mind to be changed BC I’m up at 1.9 rt now and he’s sitting there.  But so is devim singletary who I think has a clearer path to a meaningful starter workload.  N’keal Harry, Metcalf and hockenson all still there as well.  
Preseason has borne out all of your concerns and supported other ones regarding his lateral quickness and ability to break NFL tackles. He does look bursty though and smooth catching the ball, so there is something here, especially considering he plays for and was drafted by the brightest offensive bulb in the league.

So you really think he will be behind Gurley for years if they are at this time having to manage his knee issues? I looked at his contract and it looks like they are committed for the next couple of years to Gurley but then it might make sense to move on if his knee is an issue. Based on the preseason numbers Henderson might be eased into a role a little more than what some hope so I would curb the Henderson love some for 2019. Oh, and good offenses can support multiple productive RB's. Kamara and Ingram for example were both pretty good. 

I agree that Gurley is there so his touches in the short term are going to be limited but he does look like a good receiver and I don't think any of us know how well Gurley's knee will hold up.

Henderson should have standalone value and he's fills the "pass catching back" that McVay has wanted. If Gurley would to go down with injury, Brown would pick up some of that work but I would imagine that Henderson would also pick up at least 25% of Gurley's touches. Give me Henderson all day over Brown. No way Brown steps in and takes Gurely's full workload.

Henderson should have standalone value and he's fills the "pass catching back" that McVay has wanted. If Gurley would to go down with injury, Brown would pick up some of that work but I would imagine that Henderson would also pick up at least 25% of Gurley's touches. Give me Henderson all day over Brown. No way Brown steps in and takes Gurely's full workload.
Reminds me so much of the Ingram/AP/Kamara situation. So many GM’s couldn’t see a path of fantasy relevance for Kamara.

This all day. Henderson > Brown in the event of a Gurley injury.

The bolded is true though it’s more likely Chris Thompson like vs Kamara.   But Brown is very clearly the guy to take up the load should Gurley get injured.  Brown would be the early down and red zone back.  But truth be told I hope we never find out the real answer.  

Reminds me so much of the Ingram/AP/Kamara situation. So many GM’s couldn’t see a path of fantasy relevance for Kamara.
Kamara is bigger, stronger and more elusive. Henderson has been bursty but stiff and easily tackled this preseason. Let's see if that continues into the regular season, as it's been a fairly small and diluted NFL sample so far. I want to see him evade and break some tackles like Kamara routinely does before I am ready to project any kind of similar ascension.

Kamara is bigger, stronger and more elusive. Henderson has been bursty but stiff and easily tackled this preseason. Let's see if that continues into the regular season, as it's been a fairly small and diluted NFL sample so far. I want to see him evade and break some tackles like Kamara routinely does before I am ready to project any kind of similar ascension.
I’m referring to the depth chart and playing opportunity. So many GM’s thought Ingram and AP meant Kamara would have zero fantasy relevance in his rookie season. Coach Payton kept talking him up, very similar to Henderson. 

The Rams haven't even risked playing Brown in preseason. It's no secret how much they value him.

Should Gurley go down, I'd suspect Henderson's role would be fairly similar to what's it's going to be now. He was drafted with that specific role in mind.

It's reasonable to expect more touches if Gurley is out of the picture, but it doesn't change Henderson's skill set.

Probably...I'm considering dropping even though I can keep him next year.  I have better options for that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread