Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Dr. Dan

Darrell Henderson - LA Rams

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Cobbler1 said:

Maybe splitting hairs here but I think we did see a Kamara like role last night. He caught 6 balls in a half of action. He just didn’t have the Kamara results because 1. Kamara is really good and 2. The Rams didn’t put anything around him. Of course who knows what happens when Gurley is there because Kamara never had someone like that to be the lead guy.

He hasnt looked good rushing all preseason and is reportedly struggling in practice. However, I wont read into it because the backups are in. But Kamara typically gets a healthy amount of rushes. 

I'm encouraged by his use in the passing game, but as long as Gurley is healthy I think it's much more like Detroit with Riddick than New Orleans with Kamara. Which isnt bad, but hardly the ceiling of his potential 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

He hasnt looked good rushing all preseason and is reportedly struggling in practice. However, I wont read into it because the backups are in. But Kamara typically gets a healthy amount of rushes. 

I'm encouraged by his use in the passing game, but as long as Gurley is healthy I think it's much more like Detroit with Riddick than New Orleans with Kamara. Which isnt bad, but hardly the ceiling of his potential 

Reportedly struggling with one aspect of the Rams blocking scheme in practice. Very possible, I have no idea what will happen as well when Gurley is playing. I suspect that he’s a good enough runner that the Rams will take advantage of the lighter boxes he’ll force by using him in the run game too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Encouraged by his usage and efficiency in the passing game. Disappointed because I thought the running game system was similar to what he ran in college....hopefully he can make progress in that arena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

Encouraged by his usage and efficiency in the passing game. Disappointed because I thought the running game system was similar to what he ran in college....hopefully he can make progress in that arena.

This is where I am. I think at this point Henderson is 3rd on the depth chart (at least) for rushing the ball but 1st for the catching back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

Encouraged by his usage and efficiency in the passing game. Disappointed because I thought the running game system was similar to what he ran in college....hopefully he can make progress in that arena.

He was really good in college on outside zone runs. That’s the fit people referenced. He’s struggling with inside zone/duo. This is all according to one of the Rams twitter guys who seems to know a whole lot more about it than I would ever claim. According to the reporter he’s admitted struggling to adapt and slow down to make the right read on the inside stuff. Not unusual for a young back.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dr. Dan I’ve noticed you have said Sony Michel is “Done” in a few places, and in here you diminish Henderson’s role due to the presence of Gurley.

Sincere question, what are the medical reasons behind your very different forecasts for these two backs with seemingly similar degenerative knee issues? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, [icon] said:

@Dr. Dan I’ve noticed you have said Sony Michel is “Done” in a few places, and in here you diminish Henderson’s role due to the presence of Gurley.

Sincere question, what are the medical reasons behind your very different forecasts for these two backs with seemingly similar degenerative knee issues? 

IMO Michels knee seems worse than Gurley. I think both are ticking time bombs. Henderson hasnt looked great rushing the ball, so for 2019 I'm not as optimistic for his rushing potential.but things can change really fast. I stand by Henderson being the best back in this draft class from a talent perspective. I am tempering my expectations after seeing him in some pseudo NFL action, but I like his appeal as a flex option as a rookie in ppr. I wouldnt want him higher than RB4 on my roster for 2019

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m so intrigued to see what happens when the Rams are in their base 3 wide with Kupp, Cooks, Woods and Henderson comes in. Will the defense go dime and leave only 5 linemen/lbs to defend the run? Or will they stay nickel and try to cover Henderson with a LB when he splits out? Or will they put a safety on Henderson and leave only a single safety to deal with Cooks/Kupp/Woods over the top? I think that’s the dimension McVay and the gm allude to when they say Henderson brings something new to the table.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

IMO Michels knee seems worse than Gurley. I think both are ticking time bombs. Henderson hasnt looked great rushing the ball, so for 2019 I'm not as optimistic for his rushing potential.but things can change really fast. I stand by Henderson being the best back in this draft class from a talent perspective. I am tempering my expectations after seeing him in some pseudo NFL action, but I like his appeal as a flex option as a rookie in ppr. I wouldnt want him higher than RB4 on my roster for 2019

Problem with Henderson was his competition and his o-line created huge holes for him. He’s a got a big adjustment period ahead of him so the slow start shouldn’t be surprising.

Edited by voiceofunreason
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

Problem with Henderson was his competition and his o-line created huge holes for him. He’s a got a big adjustment period ahead of him so the slow start shouldn’t be surprising.

In redraft we need to temper expectations, but I love the kid in dynasty leagues...it will take him a while to get acclimated to the speed and nuances of the game, but we should see a huge leap next season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Quote

The Athletic's Vincent Bonsignore expects Darrell Henderson to handle 9-12 touches per game as a rookie.

But Bonsignore also suggests Henderson is competing for the change-of-pace role with sophomore John Kelly, who has also been working with the Blake Bortles group this preseason like Henderson. Henderson has shown little as a runner in his preseason action, but the Rams also haven't been using their top-notch offensive linemen. Per Bonsignore, Todd Gurley has looked "fabulous and healthy" all summer. Gurley is still going to be the unquestioned lead back, but how the Rams split up the backfield is a question that has yet to be answered and likely won't be until Week 1 when games start to count. This is a fascinating group to track, and we haven't even mentioned Malcolm Brown yet.

 

Source: The Athletic

Aug 21, 2019, 3:21 PM ET

 

Edited by zeeshan2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Darrell Henderson collected 28 yards on 11 carries while nabbing one catch for four yards on two targets in the Rams’ third preseason game Saturday against the Broncos.

His longest run went for nine yards. Notably, Henderson was stopped behind the line of scrimmage on a fourth-and-one opportunity early in the first quarter, which came after he was stuffed for no gain on the previous play. Henderson’s ADP has leveled out after spiking earlier this summer when Sean McVay made waves by suggesting the Rams could scale back Todd Gurley’s workload this season. The third-round rookie has had a tepid preseason to say the least, underwhelming by rushing for just 57 yards on 23 carries (2.48 yards per attempt). He’s fared better as a receiver, securing eight-of-nine targets for 37 yards out of the backfield. Despite an uneven preseason, the former Memphis Tiger remains an enticing handcuff, particularly given Gurley’s history of knee issues.

Aug 24, 2019, 11:15 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the McVay is sitting pretty much all meaningful skill position players all preseason games.

How about the O-line? Have the 1s been out there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, bombjack said:

I know the McVay is sitting pretty much all meaningful skill position players all preseason games.

How about the O-line? Have the 1s been out there? 

to my understanding, week 1 and 2 no, but they were supposed to go last night 

Edited by Dr. Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s been falling to the 9/10 turn in mocks, which is a nice price for an RB4/5 with upside. If he’s not there I’ll take Hines or Samuels or one the 3 rookies (Hill, Singletary or Thompson) in my next tier.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got him late 9th (106th) in redraft (12 TM full PPR) as my RB4.

QB W W W R R T W/R/T 

Also got Hill in the 11th, Singletary in the 13th, Edmonds in the 15th, Ty Johnson in the 18th.

Missed out on Thompson (116th) and Mattison (185th.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lardonastick said:

Gurley owner here, got Henderson @ 1.08

Gurley owner here as well and grabbed Henderson at 1.4 since I didn’t think he'd make it to my next pick at 1.10, and felt the WRs I’d be able to take all look the same to me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been impressed by this guy to say the least. Also impressed by how McVay made Bortles looked somewhat competent out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joey said:

Gurley owner here as well and grabbed Henderson at 1.4 since I didn’t think he'd make it to my next pick at 1.10, and felt the WRs I’d be able to take all look the same to me. 

who did you take 1.10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

to my understanding, week 1 and 2 no, but they were supposed to go last night 

Not sure where you saw that but it was not what I ever heard.  Sitting starters all pre-season, which the exception of a few young guys on D, was what I always saw.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In my main auction league I have Gurley and passed on DH for 5 (200 budget).  Am fine with it, got Payton Barber for the same price. DH hype is pretty flat right now.  

Edited by dkp993
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ogunbowale may end up being the best value for a TB RB at $1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

who did you take 1.10

Since you asked... :)

i had a choice of AJ Brown and Marquise Brown at 1.10, didn’t love either of them. I really wanted JJAW and was going to take him there at 1.10 but instead I made a trade down to 2.3, got Ekeler in exchange (I own Melvin Gordon) and then grabbed JJAW at 2.3. Just like I drew it up ;) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, joey said:

Gurley owner here as well and grabbed Henderson at 1.4 since I didn’t think he'd make it to my next pick at 1.10, and felt the WRs I’d be able to take all look the same to me. 

Gurley owner in my league passed on him at 1.5.  I GLADLY took him at 1.9.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unimpressive preseason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, joffer said:

unimpressive preseason

Thankful for it, kept his stock down 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, joffer said:

unimpressive preseason

Ya, I dropped him for Malcolm Brown in a short bench league.  Everything I'm seeing says Brown is the direct backup to Gurley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can keep him for a 13th rounder next year but we also have short benches so it could be touch and go if he doesn't produce this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ok so let’s look at what his real upside is though. With gurley there he’s never going to be a featured back without an injury.  So barring a season ending injury to gurley over the next several years we are looking at a pass catching rb on a great offense who touches the ball 10-12 times per game.  Some games a little more some a little less.  

He will be volatile.   He will put up some rb2 weeks and some weeks that make us puke in our mouths.  And that’s not just for this year.  That’s for as long as gurley is on the rams and healthy (meaning they are managing his knee and he is playing every week).  

Regardless of talent,  does a back like that deserve to be in the 1st rd of rookie defat? He feels like a glorified handcuff to me.  

I want my mind to be changed BC I’m up at 1.9 rt now and he’s sitting there.  But so is devim singletary who I think has a clearer path to a meaningful starter workload.  N’keal Harry, Metcalf and hockenson all still there as well.  

Edited by rickyg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rickyg said:

Ok so let’s look at what his real upside is though. With gurley there he’s never going to be a featured back without an injury.  So barring a season ending injury to gurley over the next several years we are looking at a pass catching rb on a great offense who touches the ball 10-12 times per game.  Some games a little more some a little less.  

He will be volatile.   He will put up some rb2 weeks and some weeks that make us puke in our mouths.  And that’s not just for this year.  That’s for as long as gurley is on the rams and healthy (meaning they are managing his knee and he is playing every week).  

Regardless of talent,  does a back like that deserve to be in the 1st rd of rookie defat? He feels like a glorified handcuff to me.  

I want my mind to be changed BC I’m up at 1.9 rt now and he’s sitting there.  But so is devim singletary who I think has a clearer path to a meaningful starter workload.  N’keal Harry, Metcalf and hockenson all still there as well.  

Preseason has borne out all of your concerns and supported other ones regarding his lateral quickness and ability to break NFL tackles. He does look bursty though and smooth catching the ball, so there is something here, especially considering he plays for and was drafted by the brightest offensive bulb in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rickyg said:

Ok so let’s look at what his real upside is though. With gurley there he’s never going to be a featured back without an injury.  So barring a season ending injury to gurley over the next several years we are looking at a pass catching rb on a great offense who touches the ball 10-12 times per game.  Some games a little more some a little less.  

He will be volatile.   He will put up some rb2 weeks and some weeks that make us puke in our mouths.  And that’s not just for this year.  That’s for as long as gurley is on the rams and healthy (meaning they are managing his knee and he is playing every week).  

Regardless of talent,  does a back like that deserve to be in the 1st rd of rookie defat? He feels like a glorified handcuff to me.  

I want my mind to be changed BC I’m up at 1.9 rt now and he’s sitting there.  But so is devim singletary who I think has a clearer path to a meaningful starter workload.  N’keal Harry, Metcalf and hockenson all still there as well.  

So you really think he will be behind Gurley for years if they are at this time having to manage his knee issues? I looked at his contract and it looks like they are committed for the next couple of years to Gurley but then it might make sense to move on if his knee is an issue. Based on the preseason numbers Henderson might be eased into a role a little more than what some hope so I would curb the Henderson love some for 2019. Oh, and good offenses can support multiple productive RB's. Kamara and Ingram for example were both pretty good. 

I agree that Gurley is there so his touches in the short term are going to be limited but he does look like a good receiver and I don't think any of us know how well Gurley's knee will hold up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FGITLOTR said:
2 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Is he truly the handcuff to Gurley or is Brown?

Brown 

This

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dkp993 said:

This

Henderson should have standalone value and he's fills the "pass catching back" that McVay has wanted. If Gurley would to go down with injury, Brown would pick up some of that work but I would imagine that Henderson would also pick up at least 25% of Gurley's touches. Give me Henderson all day over Brown. No way Brown steps in and takes Gurely's full workload.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Black and Gold said:

Henderson should have standalone value and he's fills the "pass catching back" that McVay has wanted. If Gurley would to go down with injury, Brown would pick up some of that work but I would imagine that Henderson would also pick up at least 25% of Gurley's touches. Give me Henderson all day over Brown. No way Brown steps in and takes Gurely's full workload.

Reminds me so much of the Ingram/AP/Kamara situation. So many GM’s couldn’t see a path of fantasy relevance for Kamara.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FGITLOTR said:

Brown 

That makes Gurley more appealing in the late 1 early 2 range that you can get Brown at the end not having to give up a mid rounder for Henderson. Thanks guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Black and Gold said:

Henderson should have standalone value and he's fills the "pass catching back" that McVay has wanted. If Gurley would to go down with injury, Brown would pick up some of that work but I would imagine that Henderson would also pick up at least 25% of Gurley's touches. Give me Henderson all day over Brown. No way Brown steps in and takes Gurely's full workload.

This all day. Henderson > Brown in the event of a Gurley injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Black and Gold said:

Henderson should have standalone value and he's fills the "pass catching back" that McVay has wanted. If Gurley would to go down with injury, Brown would pick up some of that work but I would imagine that Henderson would also pick up at least 25% of Gurley's touches. Give me Henderson all day over Brown. No way Brown steps in and takes Gurely's full workload.

The bolded is true though it’s more likely Chris Thompson like vs Kamara.   But Brown is very clearly the guy to take up the load should Gurley get injured.  Brown would be the early down and red zone back.  But truth be told I hope we never find out the real answer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tejas said:

Reminds me so much of the Ingram/AP/Kamara situation. So many GM’s couldn’t see a path of fantasy relevance for Kamara.

Kamara is bigger, stronger and more elusive. Henderson has been bursty but stiff and easily tackled this preseason. Let's see if that continues into the regular season, as it's been a fairly small and diluted NFL sample so far. I want to see him evade and break some tackles like Kamara routinely does before I am ready to project any kind of similar ascension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LawFitz said:

Kamara is bigger, stronger and more elusive. Henderson has been bursty but stiff and easily tackled this preseason. Let's see if that continues into the regular season, as it's been a fairly small and diluted NFL sample so far. I want to see him evade and break some tackles like Kamara routinely does before I am ready to project any kind of similar ascension.

I’m referring to the depth chart and playing opportunity. So many GM’s thought Ingram and AP meant Kamara would have zero fantasy relevance in his rookie season. Coach Payton kept talking him up, very similar to Henderson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Rams haven't even risked playing Brown in preseason. It's no secret how much they value him.

Should Gurley go down, I'd suspect Henderson's role would be fairly similar to what's it's going to be now. He was drafted with that specific role in mind.

It's reasonable to expect more touches if Gurley is out of the picture, but it doesn't change Henderson's skill set.

Edited by Football Jones
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

The Rams haven't even risked playing Brown in preseason. It's no secret how much they value him.

This, this and this all over again.  Plus matching the lions offer to keep him in LA.  He averaged almost 5 yards  a clip in 2018 (only 43 carries though).

Edited by ahartig
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.