What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (1 Viewer)

I can see both sides of this story.

When I make rookie rankings, I do so with the idea in mind of the players upside target over the first 3 years of their careers.

The reason it isn't a ranking for only the players first season is because a lot of the time players will not perform that well as rookies. Sometimes it takes them a year of development before they get a chance to shine. This could be due to injury, strength and conditioning progream, technique such as blocking, reading the blitz and knowing their assignments, entrenched starter on the depth chart ahead of them or sometimes it is ancillary things affecting the player such as their QB being injured or having multiple injuries to their offensive line.

All of that is meant to say that one season is not enough to fully judge the player.

Now I do think the rookies who perform right away should get a leg up on players who didn't. Most of the time the players who perform well right away continue to perform well for their careers. The players who don't still could, but there is still uncertainty, not just for that players specific situation turning in their favor, but also a question about the players talent, maybe the previous evaluations of the players talent were wrong. How they perform is how we test that.

In a vacuum I have Henderson as a tier one RB which means I expect him to be able to perform near a top 12 RB within his first 3 seasons in the league. Looking at the situation I see that Todd Gurley is entrenched as the starter and without an injury or something else that removes Gurley from the situation his upside is only a RB two.

So no I am not giving up on Henderson still possibly being a hit in the near future, I believe he is a very talented player and I think he can shine if given the opportunity. That said his first season didn't go as well as I had hoped it would.

Gurley seems fine despite all the talk about his knee and injury risk.

The Rams still used Malcolm Brown over Henderson. This is a larger concern to me than Gurley actually, because I think this invalidates my view of Henderson being a tier one RB. If Henderson were, then he should have beat out Brown.

Putting it all together my outlook on Henderson has taken a hit based on how the season played out and downgrading Henderson to a tier two type of value seems reasonable under the circumstances, even though I do think his upside could be higher than that.

If Gurley gets traded or released as per reports, where does Henderson rank among RBs in 2020 redraft?

JohnnyU said:
I believe he will carry a lot of value because I can see the talent with limited carries.
I agree. How they draft in regards to RBs this year will tell us everything we need to know. If they don't spend a 1-4th rounder on a RB, and Gurley is moved, I think its safe to say he's going to be the bell cow. But I think its wishful thinking that someone will take on Gurley's big contract. 

That seems like a very big IF at this point as others have said that is going to be a tough contract to move and Melvin Gordon a free agent. I drafted Henderson in the 4th last year which based on FBG was an all out steal but he really didn't impress in preseason and didn't get much action in the regular season so if he were looking like a potential starter I would put him toward the back of the rookie RB that looked like they might start.

That seems like a very big IF at this point as others have said that is going to be a tough contract to move and Melvin Gordon a free agent. I drafted Henderson in the 4th last year which based on FBG was an all out steal but he really didn't impress in preseason and didn't get much action in the regular season so if he were looking like a potential starter I would put him toward the back of the rookie RB that looked like they might start.
Was that 4th round of a redraft or startup ?

Wow, he was a first rounder in every rookie draft I was in - even in an IDP that shouldn’t change much. Well it shouldn’t really change at all.
Maybe it was a start-up? I paid attention to the dynasty stuff last year, and he was a first rounder across the board. 

If Gurley is gone I believe it’s a true split. Malcolm Brown is still there, who they love and is a power back grinder, with DH playing the COP role.  

If Gurley gets traded or released as per reports, where does Henderson rank among RBs in 2020 redraft?
I don't think there are any reports that Gurley has any chance of getting released. Unless it's by Henderson owners.

Gurley might get traded, but the odds are low unless Bill O'Brien is the GM for more than one team. Maybe TB, since they are going for bust this season and everyone will just walk away if it flops.

I don't think there are any reports that Gurley has any chance of getting released. Unless it's by Henderson owners.

Gurley might get traded, but the odds are low unless Bill O'Brien is the GM for more than one team. Maybe TB, since they are going for bust this season and everyone will just walk away if it flops.
Mike Silver must be a Henderson owner

Mike Silver must be a Henderson owner
Well, admittedly I'm not much of a Mike Silver fan. I am curious though, when he was stating that the Rams might cut Gurley did he address the fact that due to the way Gurley has his contract structured that cutting Gurley would count $20,150,000 against the cap. By keeping him on the roster Gurley counts $17,250,000 against the cap. So they need to go find an extra $3mil just to pay him NOT to play for them. 

Keep in mind that this Rams team already is bottom 10 in the league in terms of cap space and there has been some talk that they might trade Brandon Cooks for salary cap reasons. Does Silver really think the Rams are so desperate to get rid of Gurley that they would take the additional cap hit even if it forced Cooks off the team to help pay for it?

BoltBacker said:
Well, admittedly I'm not much of a Mike Silver fan. I am curious though, when he was stating that the Rams might cut Gurley did he address the fact that due to the way Gurley has his contract structured that cutting Gurley would count $20,150,000 against the cap. By keeping him on the roster Gurley counts $17,250,000 against the cap. So they need to go find an extra $3mil just to pay him NOT to play for them. 

Keep in mind that this Rams team already is bottom 10 in the league in terms of cap space and there has been some talk that they might trade Brandon Cooks for salary cap reasons. Does Silver really think the Rams are so desperate to get rid of Gurley that they would take the additional cap hit even if it forced Cooks off the team to help pay for it?
I thought I had read if they cut him prior to a certain date they still save some money. Maybe that date has passed. 

FTR, I dont see cutting Gurley as anything worth considering. It's interesting to see some people reporting it, but I don't see it as a realistic option for LA

I thought I had read if they cut him prior to a certain date they still save some money. Maybe that date has passed. 
No, the way that contract is structured they are just screwed no matter what they do and Gurley has to play like an MVP candidate for several years for it to make any sense at all. Rotoworld is reporting it's even worse than I thought it was, "Releasing Gurley would leave behind an absurd $25.6 million in dead money". If Mike Silver is reporting that LAR might release him then Silver is even more of a hack than I had thought when I completely stopped listening to anything he might say.

No, the way that contract is structured they are just screwed no matter what they do and Gurley has to play like an MVP candidate for several years for it to make any sense at all. Rotoworld is reporting it's even worse than I thought it was, "Releasing Gurley would leave behind an absurd $25.6 million in dead money". If Mike Silver is reporting that LAR might release him then Silver is even more of a hack than I had thought when I completely stopped listening to anything he might say.
What I am seeing as far as Gurleys contract is that it would cost the Rams about $3 million more in cap space if they move him. This totals $20 million cap hit for 2020.

Where are you getting the $25 million number from?

What I am seeing as far as Gurleys contract is that it would cost the Rams about $3 million more in cap space if they move him. This totals $20 million cap hit for 2020.

Where are you getting the $25 million number from?
Your numbers are what I quoted earlier. But today I just saw this...

"TODD GURLEYRB, LOS ANGELES RAMS

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports, "The Rams are currently in discussions regarding a possible trade of RB Todd Gurley."

It remains to be seen how much, if anything, teams are willing to give up to trade for Gurley. The 25-year-old RB has a troubling history of knee injuries and is signed through 2023. Releasing Gurley would leave behind an absurd $25.6 million in dead money, making a trade the only potential pathway for the Rams to part ways with their long-time RB. While Gurley managed to score 14 touchdowns last season, his average of 4.2 yards per touch was the lowest mark since his infamous 2016 Jeff Fisher-induced campaign. There's plenty of potential for a committee to emerge in 2020 if Gurley is ultimately back with the Rams.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on Twitter

Mar 19, 2020, 10:48 AM ET"

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news

gurley cut

so, what's our predictions here?

i see a rbbc with malcolm brown the banger and herderson COP out in space.  enough for RB2 value?

gurley cut

i see a rbbc with malcolm brown the banger and herderson COP out in space.  enough for RB2 value?
I think either of their value will be touchdown dependent but the prediction sounds about right at this point

gurley cut

Hard to say, as it doesn't seem like Brown or Henderson set the world on fire last year. With the deep RB rookie crop, it's very possible one of them ends up with the Rams. 

I've been getting a lot of offers for DH leading up to this week and a couple yesterday. I will be curious now to see what offers I get. It would have to knock my socks off, though.

I've been getting a lot of offers for DH leading up to this week and a couple yesterday. I will be curious now to see what offers I get. It would have to knock my socks off, though.
Do you believe he could be the main RB in an offense?  I certainly like anyone in that system, but is Henderson capable in your opinion?

Yeah could be a good time to sell, who knows. We saw so very little of him last season.

Do you believe he could be the main RB in an offense?  I certainly like anyone in that system, but is Henderson capable in your opinion?
We went through this all last year on this board and my answer is yes. Many disagree. There are still obstacles but I drafted him last year hoping this day would come. He could absolutely be drafted over. But I like his chances. Opportunity is ripe. If he misses so be it I live for this kind of a chance for half my dynasty teams to get stronger. But it's only March and the riots haven't started yet.

why do people think they didn't give him more carries last year? pass blocking? You'd think they'd have wanted to at least see him a bit in game action. I own the guy and am legitimately asking.

I’d like to believe but until they don’t draft a rb I’m not celebrating.
Obviously it’s possible they will draft one, but they did spend a high pick on Henderson last draft and matched Detroit’s offer sheet to Brown  in free agency, so I have to believe they are confident rolling with them. Also this draft is very deep at WR but a few guys staying in school thinned out the depth at RB. If they don’t draft one early I think it’s a Brown/Henderson RBBC to start the season.

Obviously it’s possible they will draft one, but they did spend a high pick on Henderson last draft and matched Detroit’s offer sheet to Brown  in free agency, so I have to believe they are confident rolling with them. Also this draft is very deep at WR but a few guys staying in school thinned out the depth at RB. If they don’t draft one early I think it’s a Brown/Henderson RBBC to start the season.
If we draft an RB I will be highly disappointed. With our tight cap and personal losses we have quite a few of far more pressing needs.  I feel good about a Brown/DH combo.  

I think most would be surprised if they did draft a RB early. As already said, they prepared for this in last year's draft. I'm assuming they are running with Brown/DH, but who's the lead dog? 

I think most would be surprised if they did draft a RB early. As already said, they prepared for this in last year's draft. I'm assuming they are running with Brown/DH, but who's the lead dog? 
Camp/preseason star and/or hot hand. Either way, it's a huge jump in value for DH. Went from taxi candidate to bye/injury starter, at worst. From now to draft day, anyway. But I do agree that it sure looks like the Rams planned for this last April.

Goff counts 94 mil in dead cap if they were to release him. hes one year into his deal. they aren't going to rework that deal... it's next to impossible to rework 
I believe they could free up something in the $7-8M range if they converted most of his 2020 salary into a bonus and spread it out over 5 years. Could clear more room doing same thing with Donald and probably feel safer doing that.

Is that much different then the situation they were in last year when they still had Gurley and took a RB in round 3?
Totally see your angle here, I was shocked when they took Henderson, but I think their situation is worse this year.   OL is bad, defense is getting gutted, and salary cap HE LL 

Goff counts 94 mil in dead cap if they were to release him. hes one year into his deal. they aren't going to rework that deal... it's next to impossible to rework 
I believe they could free up something in the $7-8M range if they converted most of his 2020 salary into a bonus and spread it out over 5 years. Could clear more room doing same thing with Donald and probably feel safer doing that.
I read somewhere a few weeks ago the restructured number for Goff and AD was big, like a 15mil free up, but that hamstrings the next couple years even more.  The article implied the thinking was to not do the restructuring and just bite the bullet so that they don’t have to re-live this offseason over and over again.  

menobrown said:
Is that much different then the situation they were in last year when they still had Gurley and took a RB in round 3?
They knew that Gurley would most likely be gone though 

Users who are viewing this thread