What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (5 Viewers)

rockaction said:
Rams seem to have instantly regretted their decision to draft Henderson and haven't looked back.

Rams seem confused right now. Is Van Jefferson really any appreciably better than Josh Reynolds? Wow. 

I think they are probably both solid talents.. but to find out I would have thought they would focus on the line.  :shrug:
I’m massively confused by our draft this year.  OLine and LB corps are the CLEAR weaknesses of the team.  Yet we don’t address the former at all and the latter is addressed in the 3rd with a high risk player.  Both positions had quality starter level talent available in the second.  Super frustrating.  I can make a case for Akers even though I don’t love the pick. But Van Jefferson!  WTF. 

Well there’s no way to spin this but bad for Henderson. He has a chance to hold off Akers and carve a role - but this was not an endorsement and Akers is a good back.
I won't spin it as good for Henderson. Of course it's not. They wouldn't have drafted any RB if Henderson was going to be the guy. Akers is the most raw RB of the top 5 picked. He is a converted QB. He is terrible at pass blocking. He has a lot of warts and, I believe, Waldman was the one who said he would be in a RBBC or backing up to start. It's still very possible that Henderson has a role in this offense. 

Yes, it would have been much better if they never picked any RB, but I wouldn't be ready to write off Henderson just yet.

Do people expect each of the top 5 backs to hit? I don't. There are some obvious signs toward who may be the busts of the group... 

The issue is I don't think either back will give you much from a fantasy perspective. Too many holes on this team. Not sure the direction they are going. I, for one, never really liked Akers and think he's the most likely to bust of the top 5, 6 backs. That bodes well for Henderson if that's right. However, a lot depends on Henderson to right his ship, take the role, and don't give it up. 

Yeah going to go ahead and burn the house down on my 4 shares of Henderson. I absolutely think he carves a small role, but he now reeks of a guy that ultimately makes my regular season roster and then I drop him week 6.

Yeah going to go ahead and burn the house down on my 4 shares of Henderson. I absolutely think he carves a small role, but he now reeks of a guy that ultimately makes my regular season roster and then I drop him week 6.
I fully expect to drop him when the time comes, because if Akers hits then there is likely a small role for him but nothing worth holding onto. Probably a handcuff for the Akers owner at best, if Akers is a hit. I'll hold for now and see how things go. I have large roster sizes

Well I may very well draft Akers and cuff him with Henderson. I typically don't do that. If it is a committee I don't want both of em. I'm assuming Akers may fall as far as the end of the 1st round now. If he is OTC at like 1.10, I would strongly consider shopping for a future 1st if possible. 

Brown is a very solid RB. They only picked up CJ when Brown was out hurt and cut him once Brown was back. Being in salary cap purgatory and having lost so much, unless someone they  really like falls to them at the right spot, I don't see  Henderson, Brown and probably a depth FA looking like a problem area. I feel like a biggest part of Henderson's small role last year was Gurley playing as much as he wanted to. If they had been trying to rest him, they could have safely used Brown if Henderson wasn't suitable. I think Gurley just wanted to play and they let him.

ETA: Admittedly, I am an optimistic Henderson owner.
Or at least was. Sorry to have wasted your time with such a errant interpretation.

Maybe I will become a mis-guided Akers owner instead.

They desperately needed a back and picked one?
Yeah, I'm much less shocked then everyone else that they picked a RB here to replace Gurley in the RBBC. If Brown/Henderson were so good last year nad Gurley was so bad they would have been using Brown/Henderson a lot more. The entire offense is built around the threat of running the ball and using play action passes. No matter how much it helps your fantasy team for the Rams to go into the season with Brown/Henderson it made absolutely no sense even if RB wasn't one of the most injury prone positions.

Releasing Gurley(and losing cap space for the privilege) was the shocking part, not this draft pick. People say they did it because Gurley was paid so much. So then the Rams restructure the Goff contract so some of the pain in that contract moves to the future. Always seemed to me they should have kept Gurley, kept Clay Matthews(who they blew their 3rd round draft pick to replace), and used those two picks to fortify the OL... which was the REAL problem last year anyway. People keep telling me that I don't see the "master plan" by the Rams here. And they are right.

DARRELL HENDERSON RB, LOS ANGELES RAMS

Coach Sean McVay said "we feel we've got three really good backs."

McVay added that he'll need to see how things shake out in practice and live-game opportunities. Additionally, McVay said, "What we wanted to do was get a group that we felt really good about ... This enables us to say, 'We're not necessarily committed to any approach, it's a feel for the flow of the game.' But you'd like everybody to create a role for themselves, and we'll see what ends up happening then." Second-round rookie Cam Akers is the favorite to lead the way in touches, but clearly 2019 third-round RB Darrell Henderson and veteran backup Malcolm Brown should also have every chance to earn some reps. Todd Gurley was leaned on as the bell-cow back in recent seasons, although this could ultimately be a week-to-week situation to monitor moving forward.

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter

May 21, 2020, 12:49 PM ET

Rams RB Darrell Henderson said his rehab for his surgically-repaired ankle is "going well."

Henderson has been rehabbing at the Rams' facilities and is reportedly making good progress, although it's a mild concern that he's still rehabbing an ankle injury that happened six months ago. The second-year back says that he's "good to go" for in-person camps, including the upcoming training camp. He'll need to impress then to have a crack at winning the starting job. Coach Sean McVay previously said "we feel we've got three really good backs" but most believe second-round rookie Cam Akers will see the most touches in 2020. Henderson must improve in pass protection and with his vision to increase his snap counts.

RELATED: 

Cam Akers

, Malcolm Brown

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter

Jun 10, 2020, 7:43 PM ET

Rams coach Sean McVay said Darrell Henderson has taken a step forward this season.

“He's taking a big step in the right direction,” McVay said. “He’s showing an understanding of everything in all phases — pass, run game and protection. It’s definitely showing.” Henderson’s rookie year was cut short by a December ankle injury. Even when he was healthy, he struggled to unseat Malcolm Brown for the No. 2 role. The pass game improvements are notable for Henderson — his best fit may be on third downs. Henderson is currently being drafted as the RB45.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Aug 21, 2020, 7:40 PM ET

Darrell Henderson limped off with a leg injury at Saturday's practice.

It’s a concern for Henderson, who’s competing with Malcolm Brown and rookie Cam Akers. Henderson had been showing well in training camp before going down. An extended absence could force the Rams to fast-track Akers.

RELATED: 

Cam Akers

SOURCE: ESPN

Aug 23, 2020, 10:57 AM ET

Rams HC Sean McVay said RB Darrell Henderson suffered a "mild" hamstring injury, and the team hopes to have him back for Week 1. 

The season opener is three weeks away -- perhaps Henderson's injury isn't so mild. He had drawn praise for his play in training camp before the injury, but with the setback, rookie RB Cam Akers is clearly the favorite to get solid touches in the early season. We could see Akers' ADP rise from the sixth round into the fifth and maybe the fourth if Henderson misses the rest of training camp. Henderson still makes sense as a bench stash who would likely be usable in fantasy leagues if Akers were to miss time. 

RELATED: 

Cam Akers

Aug 23, 2020, 7:50 PM ET

Rams coach Sean McVay said RB Darrell Henderson (hamstring) is expected to be available for Week 1.

It's a slight change of tune for McVay, who said he "hoped" Henderson would be ready for the season opener just a few days ago. The second-year runner is still dealing with a "mild" soft tissue injury, potentially limiting him even if he is available for Week 1 versus Dallas. Henderson was drawing positive reviews as a change-of-pace punch behind Cam Akers prior to injury, but it's the rookie who would be in line for 20-plus touches in his debut if the former is at all limited to open the year.

Aug 27, 2020, 12:39 PM ET

Darrell Henderson (hamstring) hasn’t progressed beyond rehab work.

The Rams have downplayed Henderson's status, but he's in a race to get cleared with the season nine days away. Henderson looks on the wrong side of questionable for Week 1.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 4, 2020, 7:03 PM ET

Rams coach Sean McVay said the team is still "optimistic" about RB Darrell Henderson's (hamstring) progress.

"If he is (good to go)," McVay added,"that's a three-back rotation you feel really good about." He also said the team will be asking a lot of rookie Cam Akers right away this season. With Henderson appearing to be a question mark (at best) for Sunday, Akers should be viewed as a high-end RB2 with Malcolm Brown soaking up carries behind him. If available, fantasy players can't possibly trust Henderson in his first game back from injury.

Sep 7, 2020, 3:35 PM ET

Darrell Henderson (hamstring) is expected to be available for Week 1 against the Cowboys.

Henderson is practicing in full, and coach Sean McVay is projecting optimism for his Week 1 status. Malcolm Brown seems to be trending toward a ceremonial start, but we would still consider rookie Cam Akers the touch favorite. That leaves Henderson to try to carve out a role as a change-of-pace back. It's hard to envision Week 1 relevance for Henderson, but he remains worth rostering in 12-14 team leagues as a post-hype sleeper after his sleepy rookie season. 

Sep 10, 2020, 5:48 PM ET

Rams coach Sean McVay said Darrell Henderson (hamstring) is "a go" for Week 1 against the Cowboys.

Cam Akers is still the favorite to lead this backfield in touches, but Henderson's availability means McVay gets to carry out his wishes in leaning on a "three-man rotation" in Sunday night's track meet with Dallas. Henderson himself is a thin option that should not be trusted in Week 1, but Akers remains a viable RB2/3 given the inevitable play volume both teams should see in SoFi Stadium's grand opening.

Sep 11, 2020, 4:46 PM ET

Darrell Henderson rushed three times for six yards in Week 1 against Dallas.

Henderson was active but barely saw the field, getting just five snaps. It's possible his hamstring injury played a role in that, but Henderson's missed camp time has him buried behind Cam Akers and Malcolm Brown.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Rams are expected to give Darrell Henderson more snaps in Week 2.

The Rams plan to use Cam Akers, Malcolm Brown, and Henderson "roughly equally." Henderson played just five snaps in the season opener. His role should increase now that he's another week removed from his hamstring injury. We like Akers as the touch favorite but this is a backfield to avoid.

RELATED: 

Cam Akers

, Malcolm Brown

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Sep 20, 2020, 12:33 PM ET

No love for Darrell.....breakout game this cat has  A LOT more juice than Akers or Brown.

And Akers is hurt.
DARRELL HENDERSONRB, LOS ANGELES RAMS

Darrell Henderson rushed 12 times for 81 yards and a touchdown in the Rams' Week 2 win over the Eagles, adding two receptions for 40 additional yards. 

Pegged for a bigger Week 2 role by NFL Network's Mike Garafolo before the game, Henderson ended up leading the Rams' backfield in touches after Cam Akers departed early with a rib injury. Malcolm Brown was apparently also limited late by a finger issue. After struggling to get on the field as a third-round rookie last season, Henderson looked dangerous side to side and like a gear shifter going downhill. He offered far more play-making ability than Brown, whom he out-touched 14-11 and out-gained 121-47. With Akers' status uncertain, there is now a strong chance Henderson will lead the Rams' Week 3 committee, though it will be for a tough matchup with the Bills. Henderson is an obvious waivers target after this week's injury carnage. 

RELATED: 

Malcolm Brown

DARRELL HENDERSONRB, LOS ANGELES RAMS

Darrell Henderson rushed 12 times for 81 yards and a touchdown in the Rams' Week 2 win over the Eagles, adding two receptions for 40 additional yards. 

Pegged for a bigger Week 2 role by NFL Network's Mike Garafolo before the game, Henderson ended up leading the Rams' backfield in touches after Cam Akers departed early with a rib injury. Malcolm Brown was apparently also limited late by a finger issue. After struggling to get on the field as a third-round rookie last season, Henderson looked dangerous side to side and like a gear shifter going downhill. He offered far more play-making ability than Brown, whom he out-touched 14-11 and out-gained 121-47. With Akers' status uncertain, there is now a strong chance Henderson will lead the Rams' Week 3 committee, though it will be for a tough matchup with the Bills. Henderson is an obvious waivers target after this week's injury carnage. 

RELATED: 

Malcolm Brown
Interesting news. With the injury to Saquon I need someone on my bench to step up

I fully expect to drop him when the time comes, because if Akers hits then there is likely a small role for him but nothing worth holding onto. Probably a handcuff for the Akers owner at best, if Akers is a hit. I'll hold for now and see how things go. I have large roster sizes
Maybe Akers is a handcuff to Henderson ;)

Let's temper our expectations a bit.  Akers got hurt and Brown sat out some plays as well due to a finger injury.  Akers started the game and ran well until his injury.  They drafted Akers in the second round for a reason.  We will have to wait on Akers status, but a rib injury typically isn't a long one.  This will still be a 3-headed running attack.

Kupp, Woods, Reynolds.....take Jefferson.

Henderson, Brown......take akers

Head scratchers man
I can't understand how the hype was high when his competition was Gurley, plummeted when his competition was Akers. Definitely a head scratcher. I don't know why you have to bring Jefferson into this tho.

Can't say his success is surprising. His explosiveness dwarfs Akers or Brown. 

Guy is absolutely a playmaker that should have a prominent role.
He certainly looked much more impressive than anything Akers or Brown have shown. Was that because he was facing a worn down defense? I'm intrigued, but tempering expectations. I was especially impressed with his receiving ability. I don't know if its was the number or the hair, but there was some Kareem Hunt there in the passing game.

He certainly looked much more impressive than anything Akers or Brown have shown. Was that because he was facing a worn down defense? I'm intrigued, but tempering expectations. I was especially impressed with his receiving ability. I don't know if its was the number or the hair, but there was some Kareem Hunt there in the passing game.
JMO Henderson has very high level rushing ability with explosiveness that jumps out. Not going to say Dalvin Cook (and nothing shows he'll likely get that type extended opportunity) but his explosion last year in a very limited sample reminded me of such. Go watch Gurley run last year.....then throw on some of Henderson's. How they didn't just force at least a COP role for him last year is beyond me. Gurley is a pedestrian north-south guy at this stage. Henderson just jumped out to me.

I think both Akers/Brown are solid. And little reason to think they won't both used if healthy. I just think Henderson is at another level anytime he touches the ball. Is his ultimate destination probably COP given Akers/Brown are more than capable of handling in the tackles? Perhaps.

My only real concern with Henderson is fumbling problems if given extended opportunity in NFL. He rarely/never takes the ball out of his left. If I'm noticing that, teams will and start punching the hell out of it on runs to his right.

I think at the very least he can be a high end COP guy. Then again, I'd have put money on him being that last year and it never happened even with Gurley showing nothing side to side.

Ribs can be a serious injury, especially when your other options are sufficient. If Akers is out next week I would gladly take a 45/55 split with Brown given the RB landscape across the league. 

I'll see your Saquon and raise you a Mostert AND a McCaffrey.  Just made a trade for Henderson, hope you guys are right about him.

Users who are viewing this thread