What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (2 Viewers)

travdogg said:
I'd be looking for reasons to sit Henderson this week, until we know what his role will be with Akers back. In theory, Henderson should see the most work, but who knows. Its hard to trust him, even in a pretty solid matchup.

I'd view him as a flex play this week. RB25-RB35 or so.
I like the spirit of this post but i also think Henderson has shown the highest ceiling IMO so far. I already have Brown and Henderson but I feel like once Akers is clear and starts getting more reps and as we move in to say Weeks 8 and 9, you're going to hear his name more and I just wonder if you need all 3 on your roster or which 2 of the 3 will be toting the rock come Weeks 10, 11, 12 and 13 as owners make that playoff push. 

RB Index, Week 5: Alvin Kamara headlines RB rankings at quarter mark

https://www.nfl.com/news/rb-index-week-5-alvin-kamara-headlines-rb-rankings-at-quarter-mark

MJD currently ranks him 15 overall

"2020 stats: 4 games | 43 att | 223 rush yds | 5.2 ypc | 2 rush TDs | 4 rec | 62 rec yds | 0 rec TDs

Injuries to some of the league's top running backs have made room on this list for young guys like Henderson. He's great when the Rams are rolling and has the goods to be an every-down back. But against the Giants, Henderson struggled to get anything going, prompting Sean McVay to turn to a bigger, more experienced back in Malcolm Brown. It's essential that Henderson plays well right out of the gate because he'll continue to slide down the rankings if he's not the Rams' hot hand."

travdogg said:
I'd be looking for reasons to sit Henderson this week, until we know what his role will be with Akers back.

I have Henderson on a solid amount of teams and in various  leagues played him over the likes of McClaurin, ROJO, Hunt, Lamb,  Julio and Montgomery last week and some of those calls only cost me a few points but my pain point of emphasis is that I considered Henderson with no Akers as a must start.

Now? Things change fast but one week is enough for me to say that even if Akers did not return I can't trust Henderson, or maybe the better way to say it is I can't trust McVay to use Henderson. He went from must start to someone I don't want to use unless I have to just like that and that would be with or without Akers. He's back to being a RB4-5 type for me on my teams.

Rams RB Darrell Henderson rushed 15 times for 38 yards and a touchdown in the Rams' Week 5 win over Washington, adding three catches for 30 yards and a touchdown. 

A week after playing behind Malcolm Brown, Henderson dominated backfield touches for LA on his way to a big statistical day. He led the team in carries and got four targets from Jared Goff, including a pass near the goal line after he beat a Washington linebacker in coverage. Perhaps Henderson was injured in last week's win against the Giants. If so, the Rams never said anything about Henderson being banged up. Henderson will be a worthwhile flex option next week against the 49ers.

- Rotoworld
... MCVAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Rotoworld really call 15 rushes for 38 yards and 30 yards receiving a “big statistical day”? The TD is the only thing that saved his fantasy day because that is pathetic production with that number of touches.
Good point. IMO less than 3 yards per rush is nothing to be proud of. 

Did Rotoworld really call 15 rushes for 38 yards and 30 yards receiving a “big statistical day”? The TD is the only thing that saved his fantasy day because that is pathetic production with that number of touches.
18.8 in standard, 20.3 in 0.5 PPR. That's probably what they meant by "statistical".

I'm wanting/trying to move him in a 2 keeper 12 team redraft league. Possible combo with AJ Brown added in. What kind of value do you guys think? I tried those 2 for Zeke and that was shut down pretty quickly. How about Carson for those 2? thoughts?

Darrell Henderson rushed 14 times for 88 yards in Week 6 against the 49ers.

Henderson continued to start over Cam Akers and Malcolm Brown. He had a short touchdown called back by a holding penalty, then later led the Rams inside the five-yard line only for them to throw it on third and fourth down before turning it over on a Jared Goff interception.  Henderson had been struggling on the ground, rushing for just 38 yards last week, but he’s now averaging 4.3 YPC with 2 TDs over the past two games. Henderson is RB2 for a Week 7 matchup with the Patriots

Oct 19, 2020, 12:01 AM ET

Week 6 fantasy football care/don't care: Rams offense needs a star — and it’s probably Darrell Henderson

Excerpt:

Even in a loss, Darrell Henderson proves himself the difference-maker Rams offense needs

Fantasy football managers have been desperate for clarity in the Rams backfield long before the season began. Sean McVay promised no such thing and has delivered no such thing. No matter who is coming off a good game or even the status of the injury report, the information has been exactly zero percent helpful in projecting the team’s workload split in the weeks to come. 

That said, as the Rams fell to their NFC West rivals on Sunday Night Football, it was all too clear that the team needs a true difference-maker to be a down-in, down-out staple of the offense.

If McVay can alter his committee-featuring plans, he already has the player they need in running back Darrell Henderson.

When thrown off their script, Jared Goff and the passing game just don’t have the juice to be the engine of the offense. It’s been that way for seasons now. If the Rams can play with a lead and work their screen game and play-action packages, Goff and the pass-catchers can go up and down the field. If they fall behind, get punched in the mouth, and have to play left-handed, that goes out the window.  

The Rams are already one of the most run-heavy teams in the league and clearly view that as their pathway to victory. Why not keep that plan and just feature the guy who has been far and away their best back? Henderson runs with burst, hits holes with authority, and breaks tackles to keep rushes alive. He’s sandwiched between Alvin Kamara and Aaron Jones in Next Gen Stats’ rushing yards over expectation per attempt. That’s good company when we’re talking about getting more than just what’s blocked for you.

It may be fruitless to hope that Sean McVay suddenly reverses course and makes Henderson his new version of Todd Gurley. However, can anyone argue that not only would the Rams clearly be better off if he did but that Henderson’s play has warranted it? One can dream but failing to bring those night-time visions into this plane of consciousness could prove costly for Los Angeles in a competitive NFC playoff picture.

After watching a few Rams games this year it seems to me Henderson is clearly the best RB on the roster and the playcalling and his uasge are stopping him from being

a fantasy star and an NFL stud RB. Sometimes "genius" coaches are not what they appear to be.

After watching a few Rams games this year it seems to me Henderson is clearly the best RB on the roster and the playcalling and his uasge are stopping him from being

a fantasy star and an NFL stud RB. Sometimes "genius" coaches are not what they appear to be.
I am so torn. I have a bunch of receivers in my Dynasty league and some guy in my league wants me to trade Marquise Brown for Henderson, a 2022 second rounder and a lower player (might try for this Travis Fulgham guy. I'm so torn because I like Henderson's talent but not sure about the situation. I don't trust McVay or the Rams.

So annoying having him in PPR here. He had 88 yards. My opponent had James White  who had 8 yards on the ground and 8 for 60 in the air. White out scores Henderson 14-8 and that’s the difference in our games. 

And we know McVay isn’t scared to have a workhorse. He fed Gurley like none other. I wonder if there are parts of DH’s game that McVay doesn’t trust or if he got spooked by what happened with Gurley’s knee.

And we know McVay isn’t scared to have a workhorse. He fed Gurley like none other. I wonder if there are parts of DH’s game that McVay doesn’t trust or if he got spooked by what happened with Gurley’s knee.
I agree. He used Gurley as the centerpiece of his offense,maybe he is a little gun shy,but when Gurley was there he really had no one to back him up.

Now he has Brown,who he seems to favor,and Akers who I assume he likes a lot given the draft capital they used on him.

I agree. He used Gurley as the centerpiece of his offense,maybe he is a little gun shy,but when Gurley was there he really had no one to back him up.

Now he has Brown,who he seems to favor,and Akers who I assume he likes a lot given the draft capital they used on him.
Akers seems to be getting the Henderson treatment from last year: not ready yet 

I can't figure out how the Rams lost that game. Seemed like every time Henderson touched the ball he tore off 10-12 yards. I guess the issue was they ran him 6-7 plays in a row and then he was gassed once they finally got inside the 5yd line.

He looked like an absolute beast.

2019 Henderson gets annointedn the future of the franchise,mgurley struggles, Henderson does nothing

Offseason team drafts cam akers

Training camp Malcolm Brown emerges as the leader of a committee backfield

Week 1 Malcolm Brown leads the committee and has a big game, akers gets some carries and doesnt look as good, Henderson basically an afterthought 

Week 2 Malcolm Brown starts and breaks his finger, Henderson gets more run late and looks good

Week 3 Malcolm Brown has finger taped, plays some but Henderson has a big game 

Week 4 Malcolm Brown is the starter, Henderson basically an afterthought 

Fantasy football community: It's impossible to predict!
Update?

Based on snap percentages, Malcolm Brown plays far more often on passing downs, and Henderson on running downs.  Which a genius-level coach would realize is an obvious tell to the defense.  Of course, late in a game like last night against San Francisco, it was an obvious passing situation, the "tell" didn't matter.  But at least based on PFF grades (for what they are worth), Henderson out-grades Brown on both Receiving and Pass Blocking.  So who knows what McVay is seeing that we don't.

Its impossible to predict!

I think you're looking for a gotcha moment, but I've never been arguing that brown is awesome or that he'd hold the job indefinitely. 

Brown earned the starting gig in training camp because he was the best overall back. Henderson and akers didn't get much time to emerge as the clear 1, and browm was good enough at everything to lead the team early, as expected. 

Brown got hurt and Henderson played well, but when Brown came back, he stepped back into the majority of the snaps for the same reason he had it before - he was good enough all around to have a role. 

Henderson has outplayed brown when he touches the ball, and has earned more time, while brown is apparently still the better pass protector. We known his because Henderson got 32 snaps to brown's 28, and akers got one snap/zero touches. Yet Henderson had more than twice as many touches as brown. Which also means that henderson touched the ball on almost half his snaps, not counting pass routes where he wasnt targeted..  which means that when he comes in, the defense will get tipped off that he's likely to touch the ball, until or unless he gets better at blocking and route running. 

This seems to be going the route of Aaron Jones vs Jamaal Williams, but I'm not sure if Henderson is as good (or the offense is as good) as Jones and green bay.  It's also confused by akers.  But it seems like mcvay is doing exactly what makes sense to him based on what he's seen from the players, and he's telling us that henderson is the better runner/receiver but not ready to be a full time player yet.  

If we see his snap count go up relative to brown, he will likely take off. If we see akers start to get more snaps, it probably means they aren't sold on Henderson enough to commit long term. Because right now, they seem to want brown to stay oh the field because the other two can't, and they see henderson and akers as better runners than him, and Henderson is ahead of akers. But if akers gets a chance to get more touches, it probably won't be at brown's expense unless Henderson or akers are suddenly picking up work brown would normally have been asked to do. But if we see akers start to get more snaps while brown stays close to half, it probably means he's auditioning for Henderson's role. 

So I think the situation is still fluid, and has evolved since training camp but I'm not quite willing to commit to Henderson.

Based on snap percentages, Malcolm Brown plays far more often on passing downs, and Henderson on running downs.  Which a genius-level coach would realize is an obvious tell to the defense.  Of course, late in a game like last night against San Francisco, it was an obvious passing situation, the "tell" didn't matter.  But at least based on PFF grades (for what they are worth), Henderson out-grades Brown on both Receiving and Pass Blocking.  So who knows what McVay is seeing that we don't.
Good post.. we posted these about 2 minutes apart, and I agree. 

The pass protection grade and receiving grades probably mean that henderson is doing well with the situations they have put him in. That could be a good sign that his role will increase 

Good post.. we posted these about 2 minutes apart, and I agree. 

The pass protection grade and receiving grades probably mean that henderson is doing well with the situations they have put him in. That could be a good sign that his role will increase 
Unless he gets McVayed.

I am so torn. I have a bunch of receivers in my Dynasty league and some guy in my league wants me to trade Marquise Brown for Henderson, a 2022 second rounder and a lower player (might try for this Travis Fulgham guy. I'm so torn because I like Henderson's talent but not sure about the situation. I don't trust McVay or the Rams.
I would take that. I don't think Brown is going to be consistent enough to be more than a flex starter.

I thought Henderson looked excellent running the ball in most recent game. I am not sure if he got dinged or what but they pulled him after a couple of failed attempts at the goal line. I saw a lot of Brown after that, which makes me think Henderson may have hurt himself or something.

One of the things that made me so excited about Henderson is his receiving ability. So I am totally shuked as far as why they don't use him in that way more. If McVey tries to say Brown is a better receiving option than Henderson I would not believe him.

They have a ton of good WR right now though so they don't need their RBs for that right now. Van Jefferson struggling to get on the field but makes plays when he does get a chance.

I thought Henderson looked excellent running the ball in most recent game. I am not sure if he got dinged or what but they pulled him after a couple of failed attempts at the goal line. I saw a lot of Brown after that, which makes me think Henderson may have hurt himself or something.

One of the things that made me so excited about Henderson is his receiving ability. So I am totally shuked as far as why they don't use him in that way more. If McVey tries to say Brown is a better receiving option than Henderson I would not believe him.

They have a ton of good WR right now though so they don't need their RBs for that right now. Van Jefferson struggling to get on the field but makes plays when he does get a chance.
Isn’t it so weird that Henderson and CEH who were probably the 2 most exciting backs in terms of pass catching of the last 2 years seem be used mostly as 1st and 2nd down grinders. I am not sure if it’s problematic or a sign of how much potential they are on the verge of unlocking.

His ankle got rolled up on near the endzone while going out of bounds.  He sort of limp/jogged it off to the bench and Brown came in.  When I saw it I thought it could be bad, but then he came back in on the next series so I just assumed it was minor.  Doubt it’s serious but something to watch.

Isn’t it so weird that Henderson and CEH who were probably the 2 most exciting backs in terms of pass catching of the last 2 years seem be used mostly as 1st and 2nd down grinders. I am not sure if it’s problematic or a sign of how much potential they are on the verge of unlocking.
The CEH usage is so odd to me...was expecting more creativity being with Mahomes/Reid and what he showed at LSU...gotta believe it is coming but if it is not they may have been better off drafting Taylor for this role.

I really don't know. 

Lots of RB who show good receiving chops do not seem to get used that way in the NFL.

Rams RB Darrell Henderson (thigh) is expected to play Monday against the Bears. 

Henderson didn't practice Friday, so his Saturday practice status will be worth watching. Henderson was once again LA's leading runner last week against the 49ers, running for 88 yards on 14 carries while Cam Akers didn't receive a single rushing attempt. The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue said this week that Malcolm Brown would continue to play on passing downs because he excels as a blocker and pass catcher. Taking over as an every-down back doesn't look likely for Henderson unless Brown misses times. 

RELATED: 

Cam Akers

, Malcolm Brown

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter 

Oct 23, 2020, 4:23 PM ET

Darrell Henderson rushed 15 times for 64 yards in the Rams' Week 7 win over the Bears.

He added two catches for 13 yards on two targets in the pass game. Henderson out-carried Malcolm Brown 15-10, but it was Brown who punched in a one-yard touchdown in the third quarter while rookie Cam Akers didn't register a carry on a mere handful on snaps. Henderson is the back to own in L.A., but Brown will continue to be a major thorn in his side as a coaching staff favorite. Henderson will be an RB2 with some upside in a run-heavy offense for Week 8 at Miami.

Oct 26, 2020, 11:35 PM ET

Facts:

-Davon Godchaux of Miami is OUT-IR. He is the starting Nose Tackle in our 3-4 defense and has 42 starts in the last 3+ seasons, he will be replaced with a Rookie Raekwon Davis so the Rams would be absolutely stupid if they don't test the Miami run defense early and often. Miami secondary is pretty good and I don't think they want Goff zipping it everywhere until the running game can open up some passing lanes. 

My opinion is Henderson is trending towards one of his better days, double digits, possibly 20 pts if the game script were right. As excited as I am to see Tua, the Rams might want to watch him sit on the bench as much as possible. 

Facts:

-Davon Godchaux of Miami is OUT-IR. He is the starting Nose Tackle in our 3-4 defense and has 42 starts in the last 3+ seasons, he will be replaced with a Rookie Raekwon Davis so the Rams would be absolutely stupid if they don't test the Miami run defense early and often. Miami secondary is pretty good and I don't think they want Goff zipping it everywhere until the running game can open up some passing lanes. 

My opinion is Henderson is trending towards one of his better days, double digits, possibly 20 pts if the game script were right. As excited as I am to see Tua, the Rams might want to watch him sit on the bench as much as possible. 
So you're saying McVay will script 6 passes in the first 8 plays and, after finally giving the ball to DH 4 times he won't touch the ball again until 2 quarters later despite a 5.8 YPC?

Rams coach Sean McVay said Darrell Henderson (thigh, quad) "will be fine" for Week 10 against Seattle.

"Darrell is good. His quad was bothering him. If we were at practice this week, it’d probably be later on in the week until he’s able to go. Don’t expect it to linger into Seattle." PFF's No. 1 graded running back, Henderson lasted just 18 snaps last week and didn't return in the second half. With the Rams' Week 9 bye to rest up, Henderson shouldn't miss any time.

SOURCE: therams.com

Nov 4, 2020, 9:25 AM ET

Akers? Brown has his limits. 
I picked up Malcolm Brown.  Akers is also available.  Up until now, even when thinking Henderson was the lead back, Brown has dominated snaps when the Rams are behind.  If the Seahawks are able to put up points I would expect LA to throw a lot.  Plus the Bills were very successful last week basically abandoning the run from the opening drive.  Throwing to the wide receivers should be the primary mode of attack.  If Henderson is active and healthy he should get the majority of the carries.  But passing downs usually go to Brown.  And if Henderson is out then this is at most a two-headed backfield.

At least if Henderson is out, you have a 50-50 chance of picking a back that will get opportunities.  I drafted and have since cut Cam due to the limited usage.  In the above scenario of no Henderson, my first instinct would be to lean toward Brown.  That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the Cam Akers break out game.  If you need to swing for the fences, this might be the situation, but if you are looking for a reasonable floor, I would steer clear.  Henderson most likely back in the mix Week 11.  

At least if Henderson is out, you have a 50-50 chance of picking a back that will get opportunities.  I drafted and have since cut Cam due to the limited usage.  In the above scenario of no Henderson, my first instinct would be to lean toward Brown.  That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the Cam Akers break out game.  If you need to swing for the fences, this might be the situation, but if you are looking for a reasonable floor, I would steer clear.  Henderson most likely back in the mix Week 11.  
Exactly, I don't see where Brown's role really expands, he plays more on passing situations and isn't really asked to move the team a lot between the 20s. He also seems to find TDs or red zone looks, he has the trust of the coaching staff. 

But if Akers got half the touches or snaps you'd think about rolling the dice. He's a rookie, they saw something and drafted him. It takes time to learn the Rams offense, wouldn't shock me to see Akers be a 2nd half story this year. 

Rams RB Darrell Henderson (quad) practiced Thursday and will play in Week 10 against the Seahawks. 

Rams head coach Sean McVay confirmed Henderson would suit up. Henderson left Week 8's game against the Dolphins with the injury after eight rushing attempts. Henderson had at least 14 carries in three games before exiting the game against Miami. He should continue to operate as LA's lead back against Seattle. 

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter 

Nov 12, 2020, 3:22 PM ET

Darrell Henderson rushed 10 times for 19 yards in the Rams' Week 12 loss to the 49ers.

Jared Goff missed Henderson wide open for a 25-yard touchdown in the second half, but the real takeaway is that the latter has merely averaged 2.08 yards per carry since returning from injury the past three games. With Cam Akers exploding for a 61-yard run and being the better overall back on Sunday, it's truly a question mark whether Henderson lost his starting role moving forward in one fell swoop. Expect the rookie to cut into Henderson's early-down load ahead of the fantasy playoffs.

Nov 30, 2020, 10:43 AM ET

I didnt watch the entire game but the trend of him getting hit behind the LOS of scrimmage every time he got the ball seemed to continue....

Darrell Henderson rushed two times for five yards in the Rams' Week 14 win over the Patriots. 

If you were holding out hope that Cam Akers' 22-touch Week 13 was a fluke, the opposite happened. Akers ran Henderson and Malcolm Brown into the ground, out-touching his backfield mates a combined 31-2, and out-snapping Henderson 55-7. That's a changing of the guard. Coach Sean McVay has made a habit of keeping things fluid in his running game, but it is simply impossible to imagine anyone other than Akers will take the lead in Week 15 against the Jets. Despite his play-making ability, Henderson now appears to be a drop for the final two weeks of the fantasy playoffs. 

Dec 10, 2020, 11:36 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread