What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (3 Viewers)

wgoldsph said:
The places he's being slotted in this thread alone are crazy. 1.05 to 2.10.

What's his best case scenario?
Seems like best case would be KC in round 2.  Not very likely of course.

Best case that's reasonable would be KC at the end of round 3.

Dr. Dan said:
Philly traded for Howard. Granted hes no Le'veon Bell, but it helps decrease the need to take a RB first off the board and crowds the backfield more than it was a week ago.  

Baltimore signed Ingram and they have Edwards and Dixon as well... I'm not sure they are in the market or a great spot anymore

Oakland is still open, and a good landing spot, but I think Jacobs ends up there 

Kansas City has taken care of their rb position as well, and has invested a decent amount of money there. probably doesnt need to invest draft picks even further. 
Good effort taking time to post this long reply but I don't think the door shut on these places, KC maybe,  or that they would make me that down on him should he get drafted by one of these teams.Baltimore is only one I really would be a little down because I think it would waste Henderson's pass catching ability.

Philly: Howard investment was not much, not even a guarantee he makes the team. Bears likely would have cut him if they could not find a trade partner. Howard acquisition, and one could say the Hyde and Crowell additions, took pressure of those teams to go RB but I don't think took them out of the early RB market should they be inclined, which you have acknowledged with Jacobs going to Raiders comment.

Baltimore:    this is post Ingram signing, from last few days: Harbaugh likes idea of adding home run running back

Oakland- to early to just assign them Jacobs IMO.  On that note I like Jacobs but he's not Kamara, he's more of a young Frank Gore and with that the hope is he can have that kind of ability to carry a big load but he's good sized, three down skillset RB but not a big play guy.  Henderson is more Kamara like to me, more of a big play threat, more dangerous in space. Mayock led the Kamara charge for what it's worth, at least led the charge with respect to media draft people at the time. He was the first one to be high on Kamara, proclaiming him to be a first round pick in January the year he came out. Just thought that was worth bringing up.

KC- you say they've invested a decent amount of money but not really and for sure not in cap space. Willliams only counts $1.7M against the cap and Hyde's contract is $2.8M and done. Both of them on the books for just $4.4M. Out of all these teams I think KC is the least likely to spend a top pick on a RB because most teams that activate three RB's on game day need one of them to play special teams and not sure Williams or Hyde would be big contributors there. My guess is KC looks at RB late in draft or next year so this once prime position no longer looks that great but money is not a big obstacle.

Tampa is still my favorite destination for any of the so called "top" backs. I have never liked Philly as a landing spot. KC would be good if they draft one early. I don't think they will. I kind of like Oakland still, and especially if they use one of their early picks, but I also think Crowell is better than many people think. And I'm not sure this would be the year for the Raiders to take an early RB. Atlanta is an undertated spot, especially if Freeman falters for any reason. Bears don't have the capital to draft a rookie high, and can the later rookies win against Mike Davis? I like Houston but I have missed on if they have been vocal about support for/against Miller there. Buffalo possibly underrated. Tampa is the only one in the group I like a lot. There just aren't many RB job openings beyond depth spots.

Tampa is still my favorite destination for any of the so called "top" backs. I have never liked Philly as a landing spot. KC would be good if they draft one early. I don't think they will. I kind of like Oakland still, and especially if they use one of their early picks, but I also think Crowell is better than many people think. And I'm not sure this would be the year for the Raiders to take an early RB. Atlanta is an undertated spot, especially if Freeman falters for any reason. Bears don't have the capital to draft a rookie high, and can the later rookies win against Mike Davis? I like Houston but I have missed on if they have been vocal about support for/against Miller there. Buffalo possibly underrated. Tampa is the only one in the group I like a lot. There just aren't many RB job openings beyond depth spots.
Houston has 2017 3rd round pick D'Onta Foreman who was injured early and missed most of the 2018 season. Ran for over 2k his last year at Texas

I really need the Eagles to make this happen. Him with Howard would be a great fit. 
Yuck. That would drop him out of the 1st round for me. There isn't a lot of landing spots for immediate playing time this year but philly just uses to many RBs. So it's hard to start them. 

KC maybe.....Raiders/Indy......would be better. 

Not sure what the anti-Eagles thought process might be but if they chose him in round two I'd be pretty hard pressed to not have him in my top 5, first round lock for 100% sure.

Not sure what the anti-Eagles thought process might be but if they chose him in round two I'd be pretty hard pressed to not have him in my top 5, first round lock for 100% sure.
I don't think it's a terrible landing spot, but they seem to be the very definition of a RBBC system. Pederson has said that's how we wants to do it. They've done it that way. If the argument is that they just haven't had a good enough RB to warrant a bigger share of touches, well ok then maybe we will see that. I would certainly consider almost anybody they bring in to be an upgrade, so in that sense there is definitely a path to a starting job, but is it going to generate enough touches to be the great landing spot that many seem to think it will? I don't. Henderson is certainly high on my list right now, but if he goes to the Eagles that will knock him down for me quite a bit. I just don't think Pederson will ever give a RB enough work to make it worth my time.

Round 2 would certainly get my attention, but would he be more than the lead in a RBBC? I could be talked into this, but right now I'm thinking not so much.

Round 2 would certainly get my attention, but would he be more than the lead in a RBBC? I could be talked into this, but right now I'm thinking not so much.
Maybe but I'm not really worried about that when I have a RB who can catch passes which I think will be a big part of his game. Look at those other teams Milkman threw out as being positive for him as an example. Colts who love to use multiple RB's and have a RB I feel superior to anyone on the Eagles. Chiefs who may not traditionally run a RBBC but have two RB's on their roster that are going to play. The fact those are seen as good spots is an indicator that not a lot of jobs with no comp exist and yes I think the Eagles have used a RBBC because no one has been special enough to earn more touches and  on top of that they've really lacked RB's who are versatile with helps limit need for RBBC. They may not be a traditional 350 bell cow RB type approach team but not needed. I got two RB's I'd spend a first round  redraft pick on next year whose touch totals I project in the 16-17 per game range, Kamara and Gurley. Key is you got to get at least 4 of those touches on average in the passing game.

In short I'm comfortable spending a top 5 pick on him if I think he can get about 15 touches a game so long as about 1/4th of those touches are as a receiver and secondary to that I do think he has talent to buck the RBBC trend in Philly, if he is offering a versatile skill set and producing when given an opportunity I have confidence things will work out.

Maybe but I'm not really worried about that when I have a RB who can catch passes which I think will be a big part of his game. Look at those other teams Milkman threw out as being positive for him as an example. Colts who love to use multiple RB's and have a RB I feel superior to anyone on the Eagles. Chiefs who may not traditionally run a RBBC but have two RB's on their roster that are going to play. The fact those are seen as good spots is an indicator that not a lot of jobs with no comp exist and yes I think the Eagles have used a RBBC because no one has been special enough to earn more touches and  on top of that they've really lacked RB's who are versatile with helps limit need for RBBC. They may not be a traditional 350 bell cow RB type approach team but not needed. I got two RB's I'd spend a first round  redraft pick on next year whose touch totals I project in the 16-17 per game range, Kamara and Gurley. Key is you got to get at least 4 of those touches on average in the passing game.

In short I'm comfortable spending a top 5 pick on him if I think he can get about 15 touches a game so long as about 1/4th of those touches are as a receiver and secondary to that I do think he has talent to buck the RBBC trend in Philly, if he is offering a versatile skill set and producing when given an opportunity I have confidence things will work out.
His pass catching certainly helps a lot and is why it could push me over the edge in terms of whether I'd draft him in Philly or not. Indy and KC would get my attention, too. I just don't think either of those teams draft a back early. Where I think Philly does. If you believe that they just need a good enough back to swing the pendulum towards more lead back touches, I can at least see that argument. Part of my challenge is that in nearly all my leagues, our rookie drafts are about 10 days after the NFL draft concludes. It's a super short window to leverage the added information from the draft into my decisions. And today I am lukewarm at best on Philly. But I'm in the never say never camp too. FWIW.

Part of my challenge is that in nearly all my leagues, our rookie drafts are about 10 days after the NFL draft concludes. It's a super short window to leverage the added information from the draft into my decisions. 
I think this is the best way to do rookie drafts. There is no ADP to guide anyone for the first week after the draft.

It does give an advantage to folks who have done more research on these players prior to the draft I think.

Easy solution imo is to just project the player in possible scenario which is what menobrown is loosely doing.

Howard is not a good receiver. So most of that opportunity would go to Henderson I think. 

You have to consider Smallwood, Clements and maybe Pumphrey but if Henderson were their 2nd round pick he should bypass the competition pretty easily.

I think Henderson is a tier one RB. So I think the talent should cause him to win most running back by competition scenarios.

ranking the rookie rb (c/o Faust)

not sure I agree with all of this, but I'm surprised to see the average hands mentioned. that seems to be his biggest positive is that he can do well in the passing game. 

6. Darrell Henderson, Memphis

POSITIVES:

—Explosive, fast runner with pull-away speed and the production to match. The best long-run back in the 2019 class.

—Top-tier acceleration; never lets his feet stop moving and doesn’t give up on a rush.

—Fluid hips and feet that show a full toolbox of moves; will hit defenders with a juke, spin or stutter step.

—Has experience as a receiver out of the backfield and as a blitz protector.

—Naturally low center of gravity makes it hard for defenders to get a solid hit on him; he will bounce off and pick up yards after contact.

—Has shown the skills to be an impact runner, receiver and return man.

NEGATIVES:

—Lacks ideal size, at 5'8", 208 pounds, to be a primary back in the NFL.

—Does not look smooth when cutting and is more reliant on open-field moves instead of footwork.

—In the open field he will get too tall and too cute trying to dance around defenders.

—Average hands for a back and might never be more than a safety valve in the passing game.

—Isn’t an accomplished runner between the tackles; concerning vision and patience when asked to hit a hole. Might never be more than a scatback.

OVERALL:

Darrell Henderson’s highlight tape looks like a Round 1 talent, but his week-to-week tape is more concerning as it highlights interior running and the inability to beat pro-level defenders in space. He’s fast and has electric acceleration, but his all-around game is limited when compared to the other top backs. In the right scheme, he could have an impact and become a productive rusher.

GRADE: 6.25 (ROUND 3—ROOKIE CONTRIBUTOR)

PRO COMPARISON: Jerick McKinnon

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleacher REport's Matt Miller compares Memphis RB Darrell Henderson to San Francisco 49ers RB Jerick McKinnon.

Henderson was one of the true big-play stars of college football in his time at Memphis, and the 5-foot-8, 208-pound tailback has his share of supporters among analysts. "Explosive, fast runner with pull-away speed and the production to match," Miller writes. "The best long-run back in the 2019 class." He does have some concerns, however, citing that Henderson is not an accomplished runner between the tackles, and that he relies more on open-field moves over his footwork. "Henderson’s highlight tape looks like a Round 1 talent," he writes, "but his week-to-week tape is more concerning as it highlights interior running and the inability to beat pro-level defenders in space." Miller projects the Memphis tailback to go in the third round in April.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 2, 2019, 5:56 PM

Rotoworld's Josh Norris passes along that Memphis RB Darrell Henderson took a predraft visit to the Philadelphia Eagles on Wednesday.

Henderson (5'8/208) earlier met with the Rams, Giants, Buccaneers and Ravens around his pro day. The Texans have also hosted him for a predraft visit. The electric open-field back has received little buzz for Round 1 to this juncture, but seems a safe bet to come off the board by the end of Day 2. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compares Henderson to 49ers RB Jerick McKinnon, while Greg Cossell of NFL FIlms has comped him to Patriots RB James White.

SOURCE: Josh Norris on Twitter

Apr 10, 2019, 5:56 PM

Fantasy Lab's Adam Levitan notes that Memphis RB Darrell Henderson met 5-of-6 minimum thresholds for fantasy football success.

Henderson meets all of Levitan's athletic thresholds, but he was one inch shorter than the height minimum of 5-foot-9. After tearing up college football on the ground to the tune of 8.9 yards per carry, Henderson is directly in the Day 2 mix, but the excitement for fantasy football purposes is his pass-catching potential. NFL Film's Greg Cosell compared Henderson to James White, and Henderson quietly caught at least 19 passes for 226 yards and two touchdowns in all three of his collegiate seasons. If he lands in the right spot, Henderson has a chance to be worthy of roster spots in fantasy leagues.

SOURCE: DK Playbook

Apr 13, 2019, 11:45 AM

Couple of Graham Barfield tweets to warm the soul:

https://twitter.com/grahambarfield/status/1117937243396530176?s=21

https://twitter.com/grahambarfield/status/1116513752805851136?s=21

To summarize: Henderson ranked #3 in his yards created per attempt out of the Shotgun the last four years behind Cook and Mixon. Also lead the class in yards created and yards per route run. Memphis split him out 23% of the time. He’s the 2nd best receiving back to James Williams.

I am personally convinced he should be consensus RB1 in this class. Hoping he lands in a good situation in round 2 and avoids some team needing a backup RB get cute in round 3.

Saw tweets from Rapaport yesterday who for the second time was tweeting that Henderson is getting first round buzz. I don't hear ANYONE else in media remotely talk about him like this.  Does he owe Henderson's agent a favor or is he on to something?

I did catch a 7 round mock from Dane Brugler last week and I think Henderson is his 5th or 6th ranked RB but in his mock he had him as the second RB off the boards which to me kind of suggested he was hearing positive buzz about him.

All in all makes me think those of use who have had him as our top or top two ranked RB are not so crazy after all.

I personally have Jacobs #1 in large part because I think he gets drafted high and that usually helps get you on the field, exceptions of course but it helps. But it's like I told a friend of mine last week who hates Jacobs and loves Henderson. If I crawled out of a cave, read or heard no opinions and just watched game film of Henderson and Jacobs I'd clearly have Henderson ranked over him instead of the other way around.

menobrown said:
Saw tweets from Rapaport yesterday who for the second time was tweeting that Henderson is getting first round buzz. I don't hear ANYONE else in media remotely talk about him like this.  Does he owe Henderson's agent a favor or is he on to something?
here is one of his tweets:

Ian Rapoport✔@RapSheet

#Memphis RB Darrell Henderson, a possibility in the latter parts of the first round, has visited with several teams in the late 20s, early 30s including: The #Rams, the #Eagles, the #Raiders, and then the #AZCardinals at 33. One to watch.

11:29 AM - Apr 18, 2019

I think Rapoport forgot that those teams that pick in the late 20s and 30s also pick in the late 50s and 60s... or 80s and 90s... which is a more realistic slot for him to go. 

I love me some Henderson but Rap has to remember that teams bring in players they are looking at outside of round 1 also. 

Ian Rapoport✔@RapSheet

#Memphis RB Darrell Henderson, a possibility in the latter parts of the first round, has visited with several teams in the late 20s, early 30s including: The #Rams, the #Eagles, the #Raiders, and then the #AZCardinals at 33. One to watch.

I think Rapoport forgot that those teams that pick in the late 20s and 30s also pick in the late 50s and 60s... or 80s and 90s... which is a more realistic slot for him to go. 

I love me some Henderson but Rap has to remember that teams bring in players they are looking at outside of round 1 also. 
Nope, all team visits must be 1st round picks.  Even if there are 300 total team visits in the pre-draft process 😂

Ian Rapoport✔@RapSheet

Yeah given that quote it seems like the speculation about the first round is Rapoport's, not something he heard that he is reporting on.

Penney was a big surprise to most last year if I recall correctly... 

Henderson looks like the highest upside back in the class. If his game translates he could be a beast. 

Memphis RB Darrell Henderson and Vanderbilt CB Joejuan Williams have been invited to attend the NFL Draft on Day 2.

This per NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt. Day 2 figures to be the sweet spot for both Henderson and Williams barring a surprise selection near the end of Day 1. Williams, of course, played his college ball in Nashville, at Vanderbilt.

SOURCE: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Apr 19, 2019, 10:53 AM

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah anticipates Memphis RB Darrell Henderson will go ahead of Notre Dame RB Dexter Williams.

This isn't a bold take at all, but it's confirmation that Henderson is receiving Day 2 buzz from NFL teams. While we aren't sure if he's actually being looked at as a Day 1 pick like NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said, we confident that Henderson is one of the more intriguing Day 2 prospects because of his on-field production and quality athleticism. On top of averaging 8.9 yards per carry in back-to-back seasons, Henderson quietly was a good pass-catcher out of the backfield and may mold into more of a James White role in the NFL like NFL Film's Greg Cosell projects.

SOURCE: Andrew Howard on Twitter

Apr 18, 2019, 2:16 PM

Rams traded up with the Bucs to select Memphis RB Darrell Henderson with the No. 70 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Tampa Bay got back picks 94 and 99 in return. Henderson (5’8/208) turned pro as a true junior after logging a prolific 431/3,545/36 (8.2 YPC) career rushing line and 63/758/8 (12.0 YPR) as a receiver while doubling as the Tigers’ kickoff returner in all three seasons. 55 of Henderson’s 214 junior-year carries (26%) went for ten yards or more, and PFF College credited him with a nation-best 6.2 yards after contact per rushing attempt. Henderson’s 8.2 yards-per-carry average in 2018 tied for the NCAA’s highest mark since 1956. A 4.49 speedster with first-step pop, exceptional balance, and plus receiving skills, Henderson is good enough to take some of the workload off Todd Gurley's balky knee and fill in if Gurley goes down.

Apr 26, 2019, 7:55 PM

also thought they really like Malcolm Brown who they resigned, making this even harder to figure out.

It’s risky, for sure. This was also a team that made CJ Anderson a valuable fantasy asset in the playoffs. I would hate to take the risk and see Gurley as a total workhorse again but this is a solid investment to suggest the truth is that they either want to balance Gurley’s work or his injury is as severe as feared.

Where does he fall? Love this kid I’ll take a chance on what I think is high end talent. If he’s good enough he’ll see the ball somehow. 

[Thiry] Les Snead and Sean McVay emphasize that they have wanted a change of pace back and that is why they selected Darrell Henderson. McVay called him a unique playmaker, and when asked, said this pick was about Henderson’s skills and not Todd Gurley’s knee.

https://twitter.com/LindseyThiry/status/1121984583858184192
Not buying it, Sean.  They've been saying he's fine or it's not a big deal for how long now?

The new title of this thread is terribly wrong.  The Rams did not give up two 3rds to move up in the 3rd for a 3rd string RB.  How many times can I use "3rd" in a sentence.  Gurley is done as a workhorse and Henderson will have a significant role and eventually replace him.  The Rams backfield will be a committee in the near term and Henderson is a better dynasty own than Gurley.  There - I said it.

Users who are viewing this thread