What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (5 Viewers)

Yeah. Part of my evaluation is because I'm not super-high on Henderson as a feature back-type.
I'm not sure hes a feature type back either. I like him a lot. I almost woke my kids when LAR drafted him. what a disappointment. I may still target if I can get a 1.10 or 1.11

Last edited by a moderator:
What a horrible landing spot for Henderson. This totally calls Gurley's knee into question. The Rams have quite the stable of backs, don't they?

Hmmmm

Does this tell us something about Gurley or did this ruin Henderson’s value?
Both. 

A team does not trade up into a top 3 round to select a player who will sit. At a minimum, Henderson will spell Gurley on second and long and 3rd down situations periodically, if not consistently. When you examine what has happened with Gurley, from the knee injury to the bizarre usage pattern in the playoffs, to the draft, it seems pretty clear that his role will be at least slightly reduced. Sure- he's still an elite RB and deserves to be a first round selection in drafts this summer, but there are red flags.

Henderson's landing spot is less than ideal. Had he gone to a team with a greater need, we'd be talking about a top half of round #1 rookie draft choice. He's a nice stash in the back half of the first, someone who a prospective owner needs to be more bullish on for the long term. If you have Gurley, he's a handcuff. 

Rams coach Sean McVay views third-round RB Darrell Henderson as a change of pace to Todd Gurley.

The Rams aren't concerned with Gurley's status coming off last year's knee injury. The Rams view Henderson as a complement to Gurley not an insurance policy. Henderson will take some of the workload off Gurley, but it's hard to see much of a Year One impact.

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter

Apr 27, 2019, 9:14 AM

Absolutely an indictment of the Rams’ concern about Gurley.  And Brown is about 2 notches more more on the talent scale behind Henderson.  This has all the earmarks of an early dice roll that could pay huge returns.

Absolutely an indictment of the Rams’ concern about Gurley.  And Brown is about 2 notches more more on the talent scale behind Henderson.  This has all the earmarks of an early dice roll that could pay huge returns.
In leagues I own Gurley I'm cuffing with Henderson and willing to pay up for it.  And those I don't I'll still consider Henderson in the 1st.  This offense is too good of a RB fantasy factory and Henderson could be a stud in it too.

Les Snead said a few months ago if he addressed RB this off-season he might look at a Batman and Robin type backfield if not just add another Superhero.  That comment freaked me out and I sold Gurley in two leagues right after.

This begs the question. Is Henderson Robin or the full on other Superhero?

malcolm brown's contract was 2 yrs, 3.3 mil.  that doesn't ensure him anything except for making the 2019 roster.  

A team does not trade up into a top 3 round to select a player who will sit.
Not sure about the trade up part (as that makes the data much more difficult to find) but teams use 3rd round picks on guys who barely ever get a chance to play.  Especially at running back.

Not saying that will be Henderson, but the statement is misleading.  Do you think the Vikings have big plans for Alexander Mattison, other than to be a solid backup?

Not sure about the trade up part (as that makes the data much more difficult to find) but teams use 3rd round picks on guys who barely ever get a chance to play.  Especially at running back.

Not saying that will be Henderson, but the statement is misleading.  Do you think the Vikings have big plans for Alexander Mattison, other than to be a solid backup?
Because Cook has yet to play a full season, yes, I believe the Vikings have plans for him to play.

Because Cook has yet to play a full season, yes, I believe the Vikings have plans for him to play.
This. 

If teams invest an upper half draft pick in a player, that gives a signal regarding the current state of the roster as it relates to positions. RBs selected this high are taken because there typically is an expectation that they will play some kind of role. This certainly applies to Cook given his injury history and is an indicator that the Rams plan, at least on some level, is to have Gurley cede touches. Don't get me wrong- I don't expect a full blown RBBC, but it would not shock me for some kind of 70/30 split. 

This. 

If teams invest an upper half draft pick in a player, that gives a signal regarding the current state of the roster as it relates to positions. RBs selected this high are taken because there typically is an expectation that they will play some kind of role. This certainly applies to Cook given his injury history and is an indicator that the Rams plan, at least on some level, is to have Gurley cede touches. Don't get me wrong- I don't expect a full blown RBBC, but it would not shock me for some kind of 70/30 split. 
Fair enough. Still not worth a top half 1st round pick

The last 5 RB's teams traded up to take would be Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook, Kerryon Johnson and Melvin Gordon.
Love it. Can’t undersell the Rams and McVay too. I would probably advise people go ahead and take Jacobs and Montgomery before him (maybe Miles Sanders but I don’t like the Philly situation like others do), Montgomery is the only one I’m pondering taking over him personally. I know the downside risk and have faced it before. He’s the only back I found as comparable to the top guys in last years draft. 

Les Snead said a few months ago if he addressed RB this off-season he might look at a Batman and Robin type backfield if not just add another Superhero.  That comment freaked me out and I sold Gurley in two leagues right after.

This begs the question. Is Henderson Robin or the full on other Superhero?
Poor **** Grayson... never gets any love. He's certainly a superhero as Nightwing, no? lol

Personally, I'll take a shot at Henderson and consider him a steal anywhere past mid-second. If the Gurley owner lets him fall that far, they're being pretty foolish. I think @beefhas the right idea. Gurley owners have to be blind to not see the red flags and consider this guy their top priority, within reason. 

This. 

This contradicts itself.  You're saying...

Cook has had injury issues, so they spent a 3rd round pick on a backup RB in case Cook gets hurt.

Gurley has big massive injury worries right now, but they couldn't possibly have spent a 3rd round pick on a backup RB in case Gurley ends up hurt.

In regards to how teams use their 2nd and 3rd round pick, and their expectations for them at RB.

I recall some years ago Geno looked back at like 10 years of drafts and if the RB wasn't a 1st round pick, there were plenty of times these players were just depth.

If there wasn't a starter already on the team then these players got opportunity to be the starter, but if they already had a starter, its rare for such a player to take over the starting role (they were competing with a 1st round talent for the job).

I like Henderson a lot. I think he is the best RB from this draft class, but if Gurley is healthy its his job and Henderson will be fighting for scraps.

As far as the Vikings RB pick in the 3rd round GM Rick Spielman said they were looking for a Latavius Murray "type".

Well Im a bit stunned and disappointed that the Vikings would try to find another Murray who has limited footwork and change of direction ability. That isn't the kind of RB I would be looking for. They have a designated role that they want Mattison to do. They like him because he gains yards after contact. They want a guy who runs hard and can beat up the defense a bit at the beginning of games.

If somehow the Vikings had selected Henderson instead of Mattison, I would be a lot more worried about Dalvin Cooks workload. Makes sense to be concerned about Gurleys.

FreeBaGeL said:
This contradicts itself.  You're saying...

Cook has had injury issues, so they spent a 3rd round pick on a backup RB in case Cook gets hurt.

Gurley has big massive injury worries right now, but they couldn't possibly have spent a 3rd round pick on a backup RB in case Gurley ends up hurt.
Perhaps I was unclear- when a team spends draft capital in an early round, it is likely they expect that player to have an active role. In Cook's case- he's been hurt, they lost Murray, so they've drafted a player to play a role  Henderson has stand alone value, fits what the Rams do, and will play a role; they already have publicly stated that Gurley's workload has to decrease. 

The Vikings used a 2nd on Toby Gerhart, after Adrian Peterson's 4th season. Teams use 2nd+ rounders on back up runningbacks. 

The Vikings used a 2nd on Toby Gerhart, after Adrian Peterson's 4th season. Teams use 2nd+ rounders on back up runningbacks. 
Yep. I think they thought they were all set everywhere else at that time. Childress. Ugh.

The Rams used 3rd round pick on Tre Mason before they drafted Gurley.

I don't want to create too much hype because my rookie draft is tomorrow. But I love the situation for him. He's the most explosive runningback in the draft. Everyone in here is worried about carries. The team has outright stated they want to give Gurley less carries.

Sure, we love workhorse backs who can play every down. But what has that gotten Gurley? Chronic knee issues. Sitting on the bench watching CJ Andersen play your role. Darrell Henderson will be playing behind one of the best offenses in all of football. Those same creases CJ Andersen found last year, Henderson will find this year.

At this point, Henderson is faster and has better acceleration than Gurley. Henderson will provide flex value out of the gate. He's a homerun hitter like Jahvid Best, Dalvin Cook, and Jamaal Charles. He doesn't need 20+ carries a game. He can still put up points with 8 - 10 touches. This is a situation where you trust the franchise that just went to the Super Bowl. I thought Henderson was the best running back in the draft. Looks like the Rams felt the same way.

I don't want to create too much hype because my rookie draft is tomorrow. But I love the situation for him. He's the most explosive runningback in the draft. Everyone in here is worried about carries. The team has outright stated they want to give Gurley less carries.

Sure, we love workhorse backs who can play every down. But what has that gotten Gurley? Chronic knee issues. Sitting on the bench watching CJ Andersen play your role. Darrell Henderson will be playing behind one of the best offenses in all of football. Those same creases CJ Andersen found last year, Henderson will find this year.

At this point, Henderson is faster and has better acceleration than Gurley. Henderson will provide flex value out of the gate. He's a homerun hitter like Jahvid Best, Dalvin Cook, and Jamaal Charles. He doesn't need 20+ carries a game. He can still put up points with 8 - 10 touches. This is a situation where you trust the franchise that just went to the Super Bowl. I thought Henderson was the best running back in the draft. Looks like the Rams felt the same way.
SayWhat?  How does that compute?

Henderson will beat Gurley out, watch and see. Just not in 2019.

It will take a season to figure it out.

You think? Would think the 9 1st and 2nd round WRs go before him in most, the big 3 RBs, the 2 1st round TEs. Then he’s in that next group. At that point we’re at the 2.03.
I may have rethink my strategy... seems like a guy who could go mid 1st still to a rb starved team, but if people are drafting best available rather than need then I completely understand. 

My league has a few really really rb needy teams 

Actually 2.2-2.5 range seems about right to me (if you own Gurley or just want to wait on him) too many other options in the top 15 to take him any sooner IMO 

As a new Gurley owner with all of Rams RBs except Henderson, he's definitely in play for the 1.08 pick that I have. I really don't want to take him that high and I'll probably try to trade down a few spots, though.

Further caveat, I don't think it's that ridiculous to think he can take over this backfield in the right circumstances. His upside includes that outcome.  For that reason, if I see the Gurley owner trade down and I'm sitting there at say 1.09, I might do it just because. 

Got him at 2.02 and pretty damn excited about it. Henderson had the highest YPC in college football since 1956 or something crazy like that. I think it was 8.6 YPC or something like that. Needless to say, the guy has enough speed to hit the homerun. He's got a really, really nice jump cut and beyond that his "repertoire" is pretty bare.

He reminds me of Dalvin Cook without the torn ACL. What I like about Henderson is that while he's the same weight as Dalvin Cook, he's 4 inches shorter. So to me, he has a more "compact" build. You want your runningbacks shorter than taller, imo. Lower center of gravity and whatnot. At times, Dalvin Cook looked kind of frail to me. Either way, I can see Henderson making an impact as early as Week 1. He's electric.

All he needs is 10-12 carries and he will present value immediately.

Just picked him up at 2.01 in a 14 teamer.

He’s the last of the 3 guys this draft that I consider sure things, along with Hockenstein and Montgomery.  Put up some crazy numbers in college, albeit not against the best competition in the world.  He’s a do-it-all guy who unlike a lot of the other RBs in this draft has the ability to bust off the home run while still being capable of handling a full load.  After watching the mysterious events with Gurley at the end of last season, I’m pretty convinced that there’s some real concern with the arthritis in Gurley’s knee.  That could mean a solid workload even when Gurley can play.  If Gurley is forced to sit again?  This guy could be the piece that wins leagues.

It’s really interesting watching a guy this talented fall because of his situation.  I think there’s going to be a strong reinforcement here that you bet on talent first and foremost in FF, situation be damned.

Agreed, Bronco.  Especially when you mix talent with one of the best fantasy RB systems.

zeeshan2 said:
[Norris] Rams' Sean McVay and Les Snead were very honest in their evaluation and planned usage for Darrell Henderson. Todd Gurley, 3 down skills. Malcolm Brown, 3 down skills. Darrell Henderson, change of pace. Repeatedly cited their plan for Lance Dunbar back in 2017 before knee injury.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/1123660932599693312
I've been following this thread as an irrational Malcolm Brown owner. Doesn't a third round pick seem like a pretty steep price for a COP back? Yes, the Rams are win now, but still. Doesn't seem like a rational move.

I've been following this thread as an irrational Malcolm Brown owner. Doesn't a third round pick seem like a pretty steep price for a COP back? Yes, the Rams are win now, but still. Doesn't seem like a rational move.
Teams are always looking for play makers.  Gurley's health far from a given. Could have been viewed as best player available and a reasonable fit/need. 

Highly unlikely to ever be a long-term feature back.

And that was without hearing their front office literally say he was drafted as a COP.

Users who are viewing this thread