What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyler Murray, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Susan Slusser of The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Oakland Athletics expect Oklahoma redshirt junior QB Kyler Murray to enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

The source also says that Murray would have to make a decision between football and baseball, and is leaning toward football. This isn't a huge surprise considering how dominant Murray was in his first year as a starter, but it is significant. As Slusser points out, the demands of playing quarterback aren't the same as other two-way players have faced as running backs or defensive backs. If Murray is serious about being an NFL quarterback, he needs to go all in. It sounds like he's going to do just that.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Jan 9 - 11:03 PM

On ESPN radio they played an old clip of Kingsbury at TT saying if he ran an NFL team he'd draft Murray No. 1 overall - and he's not backing off that statement today. There is some speculation he will lobby to have Rosen traded so he can take Murray.

That seems highly unlikely to me (especially since Keim is still there and drafted Rosen), but just can you imagine the chaos it would create? 

Trevor Lawrence not helping the cause.  While Jackson had people thinking, look what a running QB can do here is Lawrence with....look what a stand tall rocket arm can do.

Kingsbury at TT saying if he ran an NFL team he'd draft Murray No. 1 overall - and he's not backing off that statement today. There is some speculation he will lobby to have Rosen traded so he can take Murray.

That seems highly unlikely to me (especially since Keim is still there and drafted Rosen), but just can you imagine the chaos it would create? 
Substitute CHAOS for INTEREST and I agree. >>>  Schefter: Cardinals' Kingsbury Could Trade Josh Rosen, Draft Kyler Murray No. 1

Sports Illustrated✔@SInow

Kliff Kingsbury back on October 28, 2018:

"Kyler is a freak.....I would take him with the first pick of the draft if I could."

10:35 PM - Jan 9, 2019

"I don't have enough good things to say about him," Kingsbury said of the Oklahoma quarterback. "He's phenomenal."

"I'd take him with the first pick of the draft if I could," he continued. "I know he's signed up to play baseball, but he is a dominant football player, and I would take him with the first pick."
Arizona holds the top pick and have Rosen so they could trade-down to a team wanting Bosa and pick up a premium pick at the top of the 2nd round and still get Murray and then turn around and deal Rosen to a QB needy team for other premium picks.

Kyler Murray could make this draft very interesting.  Opens up lots of possibilities.  

Substitute CHAOS for INTEREST and I agree. >>>  Schefter: Cardinals' Kingsbury Could Trade Josh Rosen, Draft Kyler Murray No. 1

"Kyler is a freak.....I would take him with the first pick of the draft if I could."

Arizona holds the top pick and have Rosen so they could trade-down to a team wanting Bosa and pick up a premium pick at the top of the 2nd round and still get Murray and then turn around and deal Rosen to a QB needy team for other premium picks.

Kyler Murray could make this draft very interesting.  Opens up lots of possibilities.  
That seems like a disaster waiting to happen on numerous levels.

That seems like a disaster waiting to happen on numerous levels.
I don't agree.

If Kliff thinks that Kyler is a freak and that he'd take him #1 then he is sold on him being a franchise QB so even though we have no idea how he'll turn out, Kliff is sold on him so remove that level of doubt.

If Kliff would take him #1 then he wouldn't take Bosa #1 so remove Bosa as the top pick and bypassing him since Klingsbury would bypass him.

They already have Rosen so if they move down and some other team nabs Kyler before they can select him then they are covered and are no worse off.

If they are sold on Kyler and could move-down and still get him and pick-up premium picks and don't the worst case scenario is they leverage their interest in a player that other teams may not value as much as they do.

I think it is interesting.  

He has also piled on praise for Rosen.

This is concocted drama for offseason espn fodder imo.

He has also piled on praise for Rosen.

This is concocted drama for offseason espn fodder imo.
He said it the week they were playing OU. Anything a coach says about an opposing player the week before facing said player shouldn't be taken at face value. It's just a fun coincidence that a few months later he actually HAS the top pick and Murray is entering the draft. Can't imagine anything coming of it. 

People are waiting for Murray to say which league he'll play in OR how he'll manage both. Everyone is taking a wild guess until Murray speaks. There's just no way to set a value until you know a guy is playing

I will not be passing on a QB that has runs of 21 mph, who I’m going to estimate at 4.4 speed and if he throws the ball anywhere over 55mph with the second highest efficiency NCAA QB season under his belt it will only confirm any notion of fear about his size for me. Jacksonville is the scenario that would give me pause as I feel they are one of the few teams with a hole at QB that doesn’t understand modern NFL offenses and may try to square peg, round hole him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where will he be 8 years from now when he's not so quick?

At his size there is no way he can put NFL seasons back to back, before....crash~~~

If brought in to be a long term franchise QB, forget about it.  If he's cool as a situational "weapon"...ok.

Where will he be 8 years from now when he's not so quick?

At his size there is no way he can put NFL seasons back to back, before....crash~~~

If brought in to be a long term franchise QB, forget about it.  If he's cool as a situational "weapon"...ok.
Russell Wilson seems fine, Mike Vick had some of his best years at ages 30, 31. I don’t know many that draft for 8 years out. NFL is a cyclical league where many are gone after year 3 and 4 of their careers. If his downside is that he is purely a rushing QB, he certainly has the chops to make due as that. 

Russell Wilson seems fine, Mike Vick had some of his best years at ages 30, 31. I don’t know many that draft for 8 years out. NFL is a cyclical league where many are gone after year 3 and 4 of their careers. If his downside is that he is purely a rushing QB, he certainly has the chops to make due as that. 
I don't see Russell Wilson as a good comparison for any QB, he is special.

Vick ran less at 30/31, he had settled down a bit.

Wasn't talking about an 8 year draft, was talking about can he last that long?  This kid is small, will he stand in there and survey the field or....gone?

the NFL hasnt seen a guy like this come through at qb ever, so it's tough to get a good pulse on how long he can last and how positive his impact would be. 

I dont blame people for liking him, hes talented and the NFL wont know how to respond. his first year or two as a starter, I expect, will be with high production. after that who knows. 

For my personal situation, my dynasty teams are hurting at qb. basically, I have Rosen and whoever I draft this year. At this point it wont be Murray because I cant afford the high risk that comes with the reward. I'm willing to listen but I just cant get over his size.

And if he goes to the Raiders as many suggest, I dont like the idea of Gruden designing an offense to maximize his skills 

Mike Vick was 2-3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier.   Wilson is just an abnormally.  Funny though if Murray were 4 inches or so taller there would be teams trying to sell their mothers to try and trade up for him.  I think the size factor is absolutely legit.  Someone 5'9-5'10 just cannot play very long in the NFL.  Sport is just too brutal now.

Mike Vick was 2-3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier.   Wilson is just an abnormally.  Funny though if Murray were 4 inches or so taller there would be teams trying to sell their mothers to try and trade up for him.  I think the size factor is absolutely legit.  Someone 5'9-5'10 just cannot play very long in the NFL.  Sport is just too brutal now.
Doug Flutie played until he was 43, Drew Brees is 39 and Fran Tarkenton until he was 38... I don’t think size will have anything to do with his longevity.

I think the height is probably a valid concern. No one has been in the NFL that has looked like Murray, even the guys I mentioned here and it other posts. That doesn’t mean he can’t succeed. He is a special athlete and the game is now the peak of QB friendly. There is no doubt he’ll have to be special to overcome, I believe that he is. Pretty much what it comes down to.

Doug Flutie played until he was 43, Drew Brees is 39 and Fran Tarkenton until he was 38... I don’t think size will have anything to do with his longevity.

I think the height is probably a valid concern. No one has been in the NFL that has looked like Murray, even the guys I mentioned here and it other posts. That doesn’t mean he can’t succeed. He is a special athlete and the game is now the peak of QB friendly. There is no doubt he’ll have to be special to overcome, I believe that he is. Pretty much what it comes down to.
3 players out of hundreds.

I think he's going to declare so the question is where he gets drafted.

Top ten?

-------------

Trevor Sikkema‏Verified account @TampaBayTre 24h24 hours ago

I don’t have a source on this or anything, but as I said before, Murray wouldn’t be choosing football if he didn’t know he was going to be a Top 10 pick. He is.

Trevor Sikkema added,

Bloodonthecarpet @Bloodonthecarp2

Replying to @TampaBayTre

@TampaBayTre Is there anyway you can ascertain what grade the NFL Draft Advisory Board gave Murray?

3 players out of hundreds.
Your point is still false. If he’s able to play there is nothing to suggest he would be knocked out of the league because of made up reasons. For every RG3 there is Randall Cunningham playing at 36, 37, 38. The game is not at its peak of its violence, quite the opposite. The QB is more protected now then at any point in NFL history.

This thread is already heading down a ridiculous path. If Murray was anywhere near 6 feet he would be considered some monster hybrid of Drew Brees and Mike Vick... instead people are talking about him like he’s a 6th round pick. If he enters and goes through the process he’s going to be on par with Lamar Jackson as a runner and a far superior passer than someone like Josh Allen. He will have value in fantasy, a lot of value. If people want to discount that in draft season, be my guest I will be happier for it.

QB Kyler Murray Oklahoma Listed at: Height 5'10, Weight 190 lbs

College stats, started one year,  played in 29 games and only attempted 21 passes in 2017 and 100 more in 2016 so last year is the only year he posted solid statistics to pick apart.

• Games played 29
  • Attempts 519
  • Completions 350 
  • Comp. pct 67.4%
  • TDs 50
  • INTs 14
For comparisons sake, other 'short' QBs who currently are playing in the NFL

• Baker Mayfield -- 6'1, 215 lbs -- selected 1st round of 2018 draft #1 overall
  • Russell  Wilson -- 5'11, 215 lbs selected 3rd round of 2012 draft #75 overall
  • Drew Brees --  6'0, 209 lbs selected 2nd round of 2001 draft #32
A quick comparison of stats.  >>>>>  College stat comparison - Kyler VS Mafield/Russell Wilson/Brees

Here is a great read of how he compares to Haskins in this draft   >>>>   Kyler Murray VS Dwayne Haskins

DJ says he has looked at every 3rd and 6+ cutup and that he can play.

----------------

Daniel Jeremiah‏Verified account @MoveTheSticks

Just watched a cutup of every 3rd and 6+ throw/run for Kyler Murray. Can he be successful at the next level?

--------------

Excellent player profile  >>>>>> 2019 NFL DRAFT PLAYER PROFILE: KYLER MURRAY

One of the 'red flags' on Baker Mayfield was height.  They come from the same system/coaches etc both Heisman winners but Kyler is over 4' inches shorter and 15 lbs lighter.

He can play and put up highly comparable stats but the issue is size:

------------

Andy Benoit‏Verified account @Andy_Benoit

QB height matters

Andy Benoit added,

Paul HembekidesVerified account @PaulHembo

Oklahoma lists Kyler Murray at 5'10." Doug Flutie is the only QB, 5'10" or shorter, to win an NFL game since the 1970 merger (38-28 in career).

8:57 AM - 10 Jan 2019

----------

Your point is still false. If he’s able to play there is nothing to suggest he would be knocked out of the league because of made up reasons. For every RG3 there is Randall Cunningham playing at 36, 37, 38. The game is not at its peak of its violence, quite the opposite. The QB is more protected now then at any point in NFL history.
For me, his height (which is estimated by many as between 5'7" and 5'9" inches) isn't an issue because of potential injuries I just think it may be difficult for him to be able to throw over D-linemen. I'll admit maybe that's just me following what may be antiquated bias that no longer applies but that's height is just unheard of.

Some great college players just don't translate to the NFL and he may be one of them. If he does get serious consideration in the top 10 that will make me re-evaluate.

With Kliff Kingsbury now the new Cardinals HC, I'm predicting he talks management into Kyler Murray with the first pick, this will be in conjunction with Josh Rosen traded to New England.

🏈💥

For me, his height (which is estimated by many as between 5'7" and 5'9" inches) isn't an issue because of potential injuries I just think it may be difficult for him to be able to throw over D-linemen. I'll admit maybe that's just me following what may be antiquated bias that no longer applies but that's height is just unheard of.

Some great college players just don't translate to the NFL and he may be one of them. If he does get serious consideration in the top 10 that will make me re-evaluate.
And that’s a fair way to approach it if you’re a skeptic. Most guys at any height don’t have a season like he just had. He’ll be an invite to A’s spring training which will be same time as combine. I hope he participates so we at least have clarity to his athleticism.

If this guy chooses football over baseball, he's a complete moron. He's already received almost $5 mil form the A's and will have to give that back. He can be mediocre in MLB and will still make more over his career than he would if he becomes a top 5 QB.

If this guy chooses football over baseball, he's a complete moron. He's already received almost $5 mil form the A's and will have to give that back. He can be mediocre in MLB and will still make more over his career than he would if he becomes a top 5 QB.
Not to mention a better quality of life following retirement. Especially for an undersized qb

Height only matters if you are a pocket passer ... it's been proven over and over with Wilson, Brees and now Mayfield that you could be successful if you are mobile in the pocket and can throw at different arm angles.

As Giant Fan, I would take Murray over Haskins any day of the week. Think Murray  would make the Giants one of the top 3 offenses in football regardless of the line. He has Elite athletic ability and a much better arm than i.e. Deshaun Watson which would make up for the lack of size

lod001 said:
Are we assuming Murray would go straight to MLB?

He would have to play in developmental leagues right.. fight his way to MLB?

Are we assuming Murray would go straight to MLB?

He would have to play in developmental leagues right.. fight his way to MLB?
Correct but he's already been given $5 Million. Not sure how good he is at baseball but it sounds like he is. If he's average, he'll be in the Majors. Sure you don't get the fame right off the bat but if you are good at baseball, you go that route or you are just stupid and seek glory over $ and health.

Correct but he's already been given $5 Million. Not sure how good he is at baseball but it sounds like he is. If he's average, he'll be in the Majors. Sure you don't get the fame right off the bat but if you are good at baseball, you go that route or you are just stupid and seek glory over $ and health.
The Majors are for those who are better than average right?

The average guys flounder in the minors riding buses around the country.

I won't believe he is 5'9" until they show him getting measured at the combine.  I'm leaning 5'6" 5'7".
wow. that's crazy. how is he going to see downfield when his OL are at 6-10 inches taller than him, with DL also the same?!?!

I'm surprised there are no mlb measurements

lod001 said:
That's so completely wrong  ...

The path from the minor leagues to the MLB is brutal ...rookie League, A ball, A+, AA, AAA, MLB ... maybe he skips rookie and/or low A ball but there is also a pretty good chance he never makes it to the MLB and this is his last big payday. Even if he makes it to the MLB,  the 1st 3 years are TC  at minimum salary,  and the next 3 years are arbitration which is when he will start making money ... assuming he is good player. 7th MLB year he will become a Free Agent ... where he will finally pass his 1st NFL contract 

Using Aaron Judge as an example ... He signed 2013 for $1.8 million. Spent almost 3 years in the minors making minor league salary plus signing bonus.  Next 3 years making league minimum about $600k average over 3 years. Years 7-9 he will Arbitration eligible and will start to get payed.  Year 10 in 2023 he will become a Free Agent and assuming he is healthy and still a Superstar will make $100s of millions 

The 1st 2 QBs in the 2014 NFL Draft (the Year Judge began his professional career)

• Blake Bortles - To date has already made $40M  ($8 million per year) and Judge has made about $3M ($600k per year) 
  • Johnny Manziel - made almost $8m played 15 games 8 starts and was out of the league after 2 seasons ... If that happens to Murray he will have made at least that much and will be ready for his 2nd career in the MLB
If Murray is successful and healthy in the NFL he will be a free agent after 4 years already having made $20-$30M and will probably start making between $25-$30M per year for the rest of his career. By the time Judge signs his massive contract in 2023, a top 5 QB drafted in 2014 will already have made about $150M in career earnings.

Here is what the 1st 7 players in the 2018 NFL draft received  total contract / signing bonus. Giants and Jacksonville pick 6 & 7 and both in the market for QBs so there is a good chance he is a top 7 pick  

• 1 -  Baker Mayfield $33,158,294  /  $22,185,523
  • 2 -  Saquon Barkley  $31,647,174 / $21,086,526
  • 3 -  Sam Darnold $30,685,571 / $20,387,178
  • 4 - Denzel Ward $29,586,562 / $19,587,900
  • 5 - Bradley Chubb $27,663,313 / $18,189,173
  • 6 - Quenton Nelson $24,228,952 /  $15,691,456
  • 7 - Josh Allen $21,481,462  / $13,693,282
The five highest-paid QBs of all time (4 are still playing) 

1. Peyton Manning. Career Earnings: $248 million. ...
  2. Eli Manning. Career Earnings: $219 million. ...
  3. Aaron Rodgers. Career Earnings: $217 million. ...
  4. Tom Brady. Career Earnings: $197 million. ...
  5. Drew Brees. Career Earnings: $194.7 million.

The Oakland A's are visiting with Oklahoma redshirt junior QB Kyler Murray "in hopes of persuading" him to play baseball.

The A's just selected Murray with 9th overall pick in the 2018 MLB Draft and gave him a $4.6 million signing bonus, so the front office is desperate to retain him. However, Murray just played himself into the first-round of the 2019 NFL Draft if he declares, and that first-round signing bonus would be larger. It appears that Murray enjoys football more than baseball as well, and reports indicate that he's leaning towards the NFL. Murray must declare for the 2019 NFL Draft by Monday but declaring for the draft still wouldn't end this saga. He could try and play both sports.

Source: Bob Nightengale on Twitter 

Jan 13 - 12:20 PM

Thinking that someone with a baseball future would even consider the NFL if he knew he was actually only 5'6" or 5'7" is ridiculous, yes. That's ridiculously short. 
He looks ridiculously short.

I will believe he is 5'9" when I see it.

He looks ridiculously short.

I will believe he is 5'9" when I see it.

Darren Sproles is 5'6" and legitimately looks like a midget standing next to other NFL players. You think Murray looks that short standing next to his OL and others? I don't. 

Darren Sproles is 5'6" and legitimately looks like a midget standing next to other NFL players. You think Murray looks that short standing next to his OL and others? I don't. 
I do.  In fact that is the exact word that comes to mind.

He will get measured.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread