What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyler Murray, ARZ (5 Viewers)

Not worried at all. Fitzgerald hinted in a late game interview they aren't running any of their plays yet. They had a ton of penalties and a bogus offensive PI call. They're defense looks dreadful. They are going to be playing wide open all year. 

ssssssssss...hear that hissing sound? thats the air coming out of the 'Kyle Murray is the best rookie QB in the history of rookie QBs!!!' bag.

So, they're running vanilla plain jane offens,e right, and he can't even handle that and we want him to take over a supposed 'air raid' offense where they chuck-n-duck like Mouse Davis' offense 

lol's

yeah ,that'll work. the o-line is atrocious, he had 2 false starts and now wants the NFL to change its rules dealing with pre-snap hand slaps. frankly, he looked LOST out there.

but some of us knew he was going to look like this. give him a regular season game and he'll get crushed. we're talking a best of 15-17 TDs and probably 20 INTs as a rookie.

my $ is on him being benched by week 4 and someone else leading the team in QB stats.

not ready for prime time..probably never will be.shoulda stuck with baseball.although, there's a high  probability that he winds up in baseball before his rookie contract expires.

Not worried at all. Fitzgerald hinted in a late game interview they aren't running any of their plays yet. They had a ton of penalties and a bogus offensive PI call. They're defense looks dreadful. They are going to be playing wide open all year. 
Speaking Thursday, head coach Kliff Kingsbury hinted Alford's absence would extend well into the regular season. With Patrick Peterson suspended for six games, the Cardinals will be without both of their starting cornerbacks for an extended amount of time. Second-round rookie Byron Murphy and shaky veteran Tramaine Brock are the next men up. The Cardinals are going to find themselves in a lot of Big 12-style shootouts.

ARI's record at the end of the season won't matter to FF'ers, just their offensive stats.

^ ^His oline and lack of size was clearly on display last night.   The raiders had a gameplan of sending the kitchen sink and it rattled him.  He should get used to it but yeah this talk about breaking records, patrick mahomes, #1 pick in redraft etc just took a big hit.  Kid is a rookie qb, not sure why some folks are hyping him up like they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
ssssssssss...hear that hissing sound? thats the air coming out of the 'Kyle Murray is the best rookie QB in the history of rookie QBs!!!' bag.

So, they're running vanilla plain jane offens,e right, and he can't even handle that and we want him to take over a supposed 'air raid' offense where they chuck-n-duck like Mouse Davis' offense 

lol's

yeah ,that'll work. the o-line is atrocious, he had 2 false starts and now wants the NFL to change its rules dealing with pre-snap hand slaps. frankly, he looked LOST out there.

but some of us knew he was going to look like this. give him a regular season game and he'll get crushed. we're talking a best of 15-17 TDs and probably 20 INTs as a rookie.

my $ is on him being benched by week 4 and someone else leading the team in QB stats.

not ready for prime time..probably never will be.shoulda stuck with baseball.although, there's a high  probability that he winds up in baseball before his rookie contract expires.
Whether or not you agree with this write up, you can't deny that it is hilarious!  Good job, Tanner

@SeniorVBDStudent mentioned this in the week 2 preseason observation thread, but Booger talked last night about how the air raid rarely gets blitzed in college  -- he mentioned that Texas Tech and Wash St  (so, Kingsbury and Mike Leach coached teams) were the least blitzed in D1-- but that NFL teams won't be afraid to send people. I can't find anything on how frequently OK was blitzed last year, but to me that's the thing that may be worth taking away from last night.

I'm not going to judge Murray on last night or last week; it's just too tricky to make firm assumptions from preseason, and I do think he's a real talent. But protection schemes are a pretty big deal, esp. with an offensive line that in the best case is coming together after a rash of injuries last year, and in the worst case may still stink. I know the Fun and Gun and the Air Raid are not the same offense, but protection was a huge problem for Spurrier in the NFL, and he was one of the best CFB coaches of all time. Kingsbury's transition remains a huge question for me.

Think the title needs changed to Arizona Cardinals.

I did not watch the first game but last night Murray looked so short in the pocket..like Doug Flutie.     Murrays game will just need to be different than we are used to seeing out of recent NFL QBs.  Getting outside the pocket and creating different ways to beat NFL defenses. In the open field Murray will be deadly but I worry his body is not like Newtons and can he hold up running like Newton did his early years.

Back to my point after last week that he didn't throw the ball over 15 yards in the air (or 5 yards over the LOS)...blitzing defenses certainly will make that type of plan difficult.

Is most of his hype coming because of the coach’s style? He started one year in a video game offense at Oklahoma. Pretty big jump to go from that to Arizona where he’s going to get pressured and hit and chased. This air raid system seems to have hyped him up a ton but we still don’t know if he’s actually any good at this level and if that system can actually work in the NFL. And we do know he will have an awful OL. Would he be getting this hype if he had Miami’s coaching staff?

Fair amount of overreaction after a few vanilla series in a PS game, no? Yes he looked shaky, the offense as a whole was awful - but with all the penalties and being in third and forever constantly, it just wasn’t happening. I’m sure they’ll take some lessons, adjust and move on. Murray himself looked fine last week. Now he’s a bust? This reactionary/instant take culture we’re in now is a bit silly sometimes. 

Fair amount of overreaction after a few vanilla series in a PS game, no? Yes he looked shaky, the offense as a whole was awful - but with all the penalties and being in third and forever constantly, it just wasn’t happening. I’m sure they’ll take some lessons, adjust and move on. Murray himself looked fine last week. Now he’s a bust? This reactionary/instant take culture we’re in now is a bit silly sometimes. 
I think you saw him run the gamut of production from one week to the next, like rookies do. I don't think anybody is in panic mode, but if you drafted this guy, you sure didn't see much last night to ease your mind.

I'd like to see more in the 3rd preseason game. Thinking very seriously of taking DJ at 1.04 in a high stakes draft coming up. If Zeke is still holding out my other choice would be between OBJ and Kelce. If this air raid can't deal with blitzing then I may have a tough choice to make.

A few weeks ago you couldn't pry him away for Carson Wentz or Russ Wilson. Now hes just one of the umpa lumpas from The Wizard of Oz. I feel like the truth is in the middle somewhere. 

A few weeks ago you couldn't pry him away for Carson Wentz or Russ Wilson. Now hes just one of the umpa lumpas from The Wizard of Oz. I feel like the truth is in the middle somewhere. 
Totes. And I have no idea why I said "totes," but there it is. I feel the same way about the truth in the middle, too. We shall see.

Wide open offenses have been tried in the past. The issue is protecting your QB. In theory, I think it can work, but you need an outstanding OL & that's Arizona's weakness.

As far as FF, Murray has both a high ceiling & a low floor. Defensive personnel in today's NFL are more athletic than ever. I have my doubts this offense can work, especially given the state of their OL, but I like Murray in general.

There's a huge swing in how this thing could play out.

Wide open offenses have been tried in the past. The issue is protecting your QB. In theory, I think it can work, but you need an outstanding OL & that's Arizona's weakness.

As far as FF, Murray has both a high ceiling & a low floor. Defensive personnel in today's NFL are more athletic than ever. I have my doubts this offense can work, especially given the state of their OL, but I like Murray in general.

I don't see the low floor. Think 2015 Blake Bortles. If they get blown out every game they will face tons of soft defenses in the 3rd/4th. 

It can definitely work, but it needs to be designed properly.  The scheme is going to need to be crafted to get the ball out early and punish over pursuit when the defense brings pressure, and have the discipline to prioritize good reads and check downs over making big splash plays.  The defense can dictate some things with pressure, but there are effective counters. 

Murray is a perfect fit for this with his elite speed, but he will have to be able to make accurate reads and check down at the right times. Luckily for the rookie, the reads are usually simpler. 

All of this is just reinforcing my belief in David Johnson this year.  While I am still skeptical of the ARI offense in general, I think even with the same suspect O-line, DJ will be utilized correctly in the air raid.  He was so grossly misused last year, you couldn't tell the difference between the rushing stats of he and Peyton Barber.

I don't see the low floor. Think 2015 Blake Bortles. If they get blown out every game they will face tons of soft defenses in the 3rd/4th. 
The low floor is due more to the offense (specifically the OL) rather than a lack of ability. Defenders are just so athletic nowadays. I'm anxious to see how productive Air Raid is & if they can protect Murray.

I'm probably as familiar with him as anyone being a Sooners fan, but I'm not totally sure what we have in Murray. He's got a ton of raw ability, but I'm not as confident in his talent as I was Mayfield. Obviously,  Murray's wheels help, both in the NFL as well as in FF, but his running ability isn't what's going to make him a longterm success.

Murray is a very interesting prospect to say the least.

Garbage time will be great for Murray and possibly DJ.  I have no plans to draft Murray this year but the sky is not falling.  

The low floor is due more to the offense (specifically the OL) rather than a lack of ability. Defenders are just so athletic nowadays. I'm anxious to see how productive Air Raid is & if they can protect Murray.

I'm probably as familiar with him as anyone being a Sooners fan, but I'm not totally sure what we have in Murray. He's got a ton of raw ability, but I'm not as confident in his talent as I was Mayfield. Obviously,  Murray's wheels help, both in the NFL as well as in FF, but his running ability isn't what's going to make him a longterm success.

Murray is a very interesting prospect to say the least.

Garbage time will be great for Murray and possibly DJ.  I have no plans to draft Murray this year but the sky is not falling.  

Plus his running stats alone will give him a decent floor.
All great comments. Thanks guys. 

I just don't see a terrible floor. Either they are terrible and they get soft 3rd and 4th quarter defenses or they are competitive and in a bunch of shoot outs. There is no middle ground here. Like what scenario has him throwing 17 TDs? Lolol

Isn't that exactly what you don't want? A price floor artificially keeps a price from going any lower...
You lost me there bro. Admittingly that's easy to do........but I can get Kyler in the 7th-8th I'm good. 

Kingsbury will not take his foot off the the pedal. If it's a disaster it will be a beautiful one. 

Going to be some disappointed that draft him this year.  He may have talent, but he doesn't have an OL.  Probably ends up like David Carr.

Users who are viewing this thread