What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyler Murray, ARZ (1 Viewer)

I have no doubt he could succeed in the NFL in the right landing spot.

My doubts are regarding his listed height.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no doubt he could succeed in the NFL in the right landing spot.

My doubts are regarding his listed height.  

That's understandable. I just don't think HE would consider the NFL a viable option if he was 5'6"-5'8". He'd know that is insanely unlikely to work out. So if he does declare for the NFL draft and give up baseball, that will be a point in favor of his height. But like you said, no point worrying about it, he'll be measured soon enough. 

Mike Vick was 2-3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier.   Wilson is just an abnormally.  Funny though if Murray were 4 inches or so taller there would be teams trying to sell their mothers to try and trade up for him.  I think the size factor is absolutely legit.  Someone 5'9-5'10 just cannot play very long in the NFL.  Sport is just too brutal now.
Plenty of NFL running backs are in that range or shorter and take more hits than QBs.

You think he would even be considering the NFL if he was 5'6" or 5'7"? Come on. This is getting ridiculous.
The MLB/Oakland A's have him listed at 5"11 ...you don't think they measure these guys in the MLB? You think they are off by 5 inches?

The MLB/Oakland A's have him listed at 5"11 ...you don't think they measure these guys in the MLB? You think they are off by 5 inches?
because teams never exaggerate a players measurables...

I'll take a shot in the dark and say he will come in at 5' 9 5/8". I dont think he is 5'6. at 5'9 and roughly 1/2 I'm concerned about seeing past the LOS. 

Rumor is a 15 mill offer from Oakland.

If it's 15 mill I take the money and play baseball :unsure:
That’s interesting that mlb is allowing a change based on football season changing things. And that does make it more tempting to go baseball I would think. 

Read a few articles and it's clear he is using football to get more baseball money

Hes let the As know it will take 15 million for him to play baseball, which mlb is willing to waive the rules that would not allow this. he has to start the season on the 40 man roster. 

Those close to him also report that he knows his longevity is in baseball, not football.

he just wants more up front money, and I think he will get it. MLB is desperately trying to keep him in the MLB

Charles Barkley was listed at 6'7", 6'6"... having shaken hands with him I can tell you he might not be 6'4".

I believe this is common place when athletes are not the expected height.

eta - and when a guy wont do interviews with women in heels (KM), I think we know he is self conscious about it.

Yea - very common place.

Find 1000 examples all over the place with googling.

My favorite are these examples where players grow and shrink each year:

With no standardized way of tracking height, a number of players have seen random, year-to-year growth spurts—or sudden bouts of shrinking—when they change teams. And a handful have seen their heights change even while staying with the same team.

According to the league’s data, which has been kept loosely since 1994, former guard Dan Dickau went from being 6-feet tall with the Clippers in 2008 to 6-foot-3 in training camp with the Suns in 2009. He turned 30 years old in between.

2016 SI NFL report:

We counted 28 players that were two inches shorter (and one that was surprisingly two inches taller) than their listed heights. Here are some of the notable players with at least a two-inch discrepancy between their college listings and combine measurements.
So it happens.. we will see.  :shrug:

Are players allowed to skip out on measurements like they can other drills at the combine?

Deadspin article does a good job at summing up why he should choose football.

https://deadspin.com/tell-me-again-why-kyler-murray-would-ever-want-to-play-1831719814

That Murray would even consider playing football is an indictment of MLB’s financial system, especially for young players. That signing bonus seems nice right now, but he’d have to play in the minors for a few years for less than a living wage (and deal with all those crappy hotel rooms and long bus rides), then if he makes the majors he’d earn the league minimum for three seasons, then he hits his arbitration years, and only then would he get the chance to hit free agency and sign that first big-money contract. Even if Murray turns out to be an excellent ballplayer, he would be nearing 30 before he’d first be allowed to negotiate for what he’s worth.

And of course, it can’t help matters that Murray is looking at what’s happening this winter, as an entire class of free agents, superstars among them, are going unsigned and receiving offers well below what they expected. It is, simply put, not as lucrative to be a professional baseball player as it ought to be.

Compare this with the path to the NFL. If Murray goes in the first round, he would earn more guaranteed money on his rookie deal than he would from the Athletics’ signing bonus; he would have a chance to start within a year or two; he would be in line for his first big payday in just four years. Even the argument that baseball is safer than football doesn’t particularly apply to quarterbacks.

That's understandable. I just don't think HE would consider the NFL a viable option if he was 5'6"-5'8". He'd know that is insanely unlikely to work out. So if he does declare for the NFL draft and give up baseball, that will be a point in favor of his height. But like you said, no point worrying about it, he'll be measured soon enough. 
I don't think if he declares for the draft he has to give up baseball. Although I guess he would have to announce that he was or his draft position would be affected.

Lost me here: simply put, not as lucrative to be a professional baseball player as it ought to be.
He probably won't make as much in the early years, and can really hit a big pay day a lot sooner in the NFL.  Then factor in he can be the "face of the franchise" from almost day 1 and reap the endorsements from there. 

I think if he busts in baseball, that 15 mil bonus will be his largest payday every. 

NFL he can still bust after his rookie deal at 25-35 mil and probably even gets a second chance somewhere for better money than a major league scrub. 

His height wasn't an issue in college but he played in an Air Raid and he ran a lot, neither will transfer to the pro level but some things will transfer to the NFL.

================================

Kyler Murray

Arm Strength

Now I want to get into the arm strength and arm talent categories ..., but in order to do that we have to divide them up into two sub-categories: distance and ball velocity.

Distance

Even if we think Murray is somewhere around 5-foot-9, this kid can throw the ball far. When Oklahoma got Murray outside of the pocket (which is a detail we can get to later), and he was able to step into throws, he could fire that ball 50-55 yards down the field and right on target. ...Even if we think Murray is somewhere around 5-foot-9, this kid can throw the ball far. When Oklahoma got Murray outside of the pocket (which is a detail we can get to later), and he was able to step into throws, he could fire that ball 50-55 yards down the field and right on target.

Ball Velocity

When it comes to velocity on throws of short or intermediate distances, this is when we’re talking about how fast a guy can throw a ball. I’m not sure if it’s due to his baseball background or what, but Murray can snap his wrist and gun a ball into a tight window about as well as any quarterback in this class. His motion does not look like it’s much of an issue at all, to me, and it generates plenty of speed.

Accuracy

As you would expect ...fantastic stats when it came to efficiency. Murray finished his season with 4,316 passing yards at a 69 percent completion percentage with 42 passing touchdowns and just seven interceptions. 

Touch

Touch is how you gauge a player being able to put a ball exactly where it needs to be with so many moving parts while timing both a ball’s flight path and a receiver’s speed.

LINK of gif showing Kyler Murray TOUCH pass

See Murray’s pass above? That’s a touch pass, and my oh my, was it a beauty. Watching a player throw a pass like that tells you how much of a natural he really is with his arm. Murray had to take so much speed off that ball and time it right to where the receiver was going to be, both with speed an trajectory. This was not the only beauty of a touch pass I saw Murray throw in 2018, and honestly this is what gives me so much confidence that he can succeed at the next level. Murray is more of a natural than most quarterbacks in the NFL, and his touch passes show it. You often cannot teach touch.

Mobility

Murray was one of the best mobile quarterbacks in all of college football in 2018. With over 1,000 rushing yards and 12 rushing touchdowns, Murray was a threat to pull the ball and run to pick up first downs and touchdowns on almost every given play. 

Under Pressure

when things go awry, Murray has shows to remain calm under most circumstances

Poise

poise is not bailing on a pocket when it’s clean, going through progressions when you can, having a good clock in the back of your head, and performing outside of ideal circumstances.

I thought Murray did that better than any quarterback in college football this season. 

Clutch

Kyler Murray CLUTCH throw

Clutch — the ultimate immeasurable.

It’s so hard to talk about clutch because it truly is something that you just never know how a player is going to perform until they’re in that exact moment. For Murray, he had plenty of clutch throws in 2018, but none greater than the one for the Sooners’ to take the lead in the Big 12 Championship with two minutes left to go on his final drive of the game.

If you’ll notice, it was a touch pass, too. Not only was it clutch, it was a throw that took the most natural talent in the book, and he delivered it perfectly.

=========================

Kyler Murray biggest weakness

Progressions –Biggest area of inconsistency. Fully capable, moves eyes across the set and can work right to left or high to low. Too often predetermines his target, however. Guilty of staring down the barrel. Misses a lot of intermediate routes into the MOF, struggles to see over OL.
========================

It makes sense that being able to see over his O-Line to the middle of the field would cause most problems for him.  Height is an issue with progressions over MOF (Middle Of the Field) 

He probably won't make as much in the early years, and can really hit a big pay day a lot sooner in the NFL.  Then factor in he can be the "face of the franchise" from almost day 1 and reap the endorsements from there. 

I think if he busts in baseball, that 15 mil bonus will be his largest payday every. 

NFL he can still bust after his rookie deal at 25-35 mil and probably even gets a second chance somewhere for better money than a major league scrub. 
Sure, agreed to all.

I'm just laughing at the notion that being a baseball players isn't as lucrative as it ought to be. 

I'm laughing at the whole height obsession. Who has done more, Drew Brees or Matthew Stafford?  Russell Wilson or Blake Bortles? 
If he were even 5'11, it would be a different argument imo. But under 5'8?  The fact that you have to mention Wilson and Brees, 5'11 and 6'0 to suport the "height doesn't matter" argument, as they could be 4-6" taller, should tell you something.

Not to say he can't be successful, it's just something to consider.

I just think he has to be looked at from his skills not his stature. There have been dozens of tall qb prospects that didn't do squat. 
Sure. How many QBs under 5'8 have been successful?

Hell, Doug flutie might be 4 inches taller.

We're talking sproles, Cohen height.

He’s listed as 5’9 and 5’10... you don’t like him at that height fine but stop spreading this BS about 5’8, 5’7, 5’6 until he’s measured. I’ve seen him clocked at 21 mph and I’ve seen a throw clocked at 54 mph. His ground speed is equivalent to Lamar Jackson and his throw speed is equal to Dak Prescott. Facts, simple.

He’s listed as 5’9 and 5’10... you don’t like him at that height fine but stop spreading this BS about 5’8, 5’7, 5’6 until he’s measured. I’ve seen him clocked at 21 mph and I’ve seen a throw clocked at 54 mph. His ground speed is equivalent to Lamar Jackson and his throw speed is equal to Dak Prescott. Facts, simple.
Fact, as simple as they come - athletes are regularly listed taller than they are.

Nobody has spread anything aside from doubt.. for my eyeballs, I won't believe he is 5'9" until he is barefoot against a wall at the combine.

@Iceman03 @Leroy Hoard

My interest in his height is only for the simple fact I don't doubt his abilities.  Looks legit.

eta - I could see his size (not just height - maybe even more so being skinny) being the only detractor.  The question is how much.

So if he doesn't get drafted in the 1st round, who is gonna waste a 2nd rounder on him? He could just screw that team over and go play baseball. The 33rd pick got 4 mil guaranteed and less than 8 mil over 4 years. I mean I don't touch this dude until the 5th round or so unless I got a boatload of picks.

Like I said.. at the combine.
So it’s acceptable for people to make up stuff and say 5’6/5’7... that’s unacceptable to me. His linemen all measured at 6’3 and above. I am certain that Texas and Alabama weren’t marching out small DL. Yes, there is variance to collegiate measurements but outright lies is what this board is doing.

So it’s acceptable for people to make up stuff and say 5’6/5’7... that’s unacceptable to me. His linemen all measured at 6’3 and above. I am certain that Texas and Alabama weren’t marching out small DL. Yes, there is variance to collegiate measurements but outright lies is what this board is doing.
Who has made this up?  I don't know how tall he is.. what I know is that his listed heights have him shrinking twice since highschool, he doesn't do interviews with women in heels, his strength coach is defending him by throwing out the shortest height yet and telling us he wore socks.

I am leaning 5'7" myself, I have said I will take what the combine says.

UNACCEPTABLE MAN!  UNACCEPTABLE I SAY!

The combine will answer the question.  :shrug:

eta - I didn't see a reply above, can he skip out on the measurement?

not doubting you but where have you seen the football speed at?  Google isnt showing me anything

Users who are viewing this thread