What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyler Murray, ARZ (1 Viewer)

5 of 8 games with zero TD passes.  Basically unstartable for the next month (SF twice and a bye in the next 4).  Possibly a few sneaky good starts after that, but at that point we're into the FF playoffs and your season is on the line.

That seems about the size of it right now.

I have no idea what sort of league you play in but he's #9 in my league.

I figured you were just an angry poster for your own personal reasons but is it possible your posts in this thread are based on nothing other than YOUR league scoring?

He's facing SF this week so he's got the worst match up of any QB so I figure you will come in again with your pathetic posts as soon as the game is over. 

Sorry for you in advance if your posts are not based on your league scoring.
He's #16 in mine, pretty standard scoring, but 6 points for all TD types (and only 10 teams, start 1 QB).  He's tied at #16 with Winston (who has had his bye already), and 1 point behind Andy Dalton (who's been without his top WR all year). 

Not to toot my own horn by too much, but in my dynasty league one guy traded up to #1 (with a lot of ammo) to draft Murray with the #1 overall rookie pick.....then I got Brissett off waivers for free.  I never quite understood the love affair with Murray, but people thought he was the next Mahommes.  He may turn into that, still too early to tell, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I never quite understood the love affair with Murray, but people thought he was the next Mahommes.  He may turn into that, still too early to tell, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I'm not sure he needs to in order to make that worth it.  We're talking about a generational QB talent in Mahomes.  I, too, traded a substantial amount of value to acquire Murray after our rookie draft(two QB league) and there is absolutely no buyer's remorse on my end.  I've been thrilled with what I've seen so far, as he's been producing in spite of some questionable play-calling at times from his also rookie head coach.

I'm not sure he needs to in order to make that worth it.  We're talking about a generational QB talent in Mahomes.  I, too, traded a substantial amount of value to acquire Murray after our rookie draft(two QB league) and there is absolutely no buyer's remorse on my end.  I've been thrilled with what I've seen so far, as he's been producing in spite of some questionable play-calling at times from his also rookie head coach.
Would you have taken him #1 overall in a ten team, start 1 QB league?  Would you have traded up (with multiple first round picks) to get the #1 overall to do it? Cause that's what's happened in my league, and I'm still shaking my head at it.

Would you have taken him #1 overall in a ten team, start 1 QB league?  Would you have traded up (with multiple first round picks) to get the #1 overall to do it? Cause that's what's happened in my league, and I'm still shaking my head at it.
Not in a 1QB league, nope. Superflex or 2QB, absolutely.

Pretty sure they were down 2 scores at the time. How is Murray supposed to develop if he gets pulled from games like that. He wasn't getting beat up. He wasn't turning the ball over. It was Kingsbury's suck a** playcalling that was holding them back. No wonder why his college teams put up numbers but never really won anything. He is a major reach as an NFL coach. 
They were down 31-9 with about 5 minutes left when he was pulled. The game was over.

They were down 31-9 with about 5 minutes left when he was pulled. The game was over.
3 scores, my bad. But shouldn't he be leaving Murray in there to gain the experience rather than simply waving the white flag ? The kid was the # 1 pick. Your starter from day 1. It seems highly inconsistent to have pulled him in that spot. Just my 2 cents of course. 

He's gonna need to start using his legs more. Are they not watching Baltimore? The fact that they are already spreading teams out should make it easier if anything. 

Yeah duh, we are talking fantasy here and I am just poking fun at the posters that went nuts saying he is going to be the #1 player overall, others were saying as recent as two weeks ago he would be top 5 etc.  Just showing how nuts it is to throw out these asinine predictions.  If people are still starting him due to anything but a bye week stop gap then that is on them.  As I said before he is not a QB1 in fantasy.  Maybe that changes next year but his dink and dunk style, the horrid oline and the red zone play calling are too big of an obstacle for this year.

He is 15 in my league at 177 total points.  

He's #16 in mine, pretty standard scoring, but 6 points for all TD types (and only 10 teams, start 1 QB).  He's tied at #16 with Winston (who has had his bye already), and 1 point behind Andy Dalton (who's been without his top WR all year). 

Not to toot my own horn by too much, but in my dynasty league one guy traded up to #1 (with a lot of ammo) to draft Murray with the #1 overall rookie pick.....then I got Brissett off waivers for free.  I never quite understood the love affair with Murray, but people thought he was the next Mahommes.  He may turn into that, still too early to tell, but I wouldn't bet on it.
It sounds like you guys are arguing with one or two outliers here (heck one of you is arguing with someone in your league, not even on this forum), not the majority of rational posters who all made the very fair point that Murray's rushing ability gave him a very high ceiling given that he's probably the best passing prospect we've seen out of a running QB.

He's somewhat held up his end on the passing spectrum, on pace for 4000 yards passing, which is plenty for a QB getting yards on the ground.  The big things holding him back have been that they haven't had him running as much, and that they've really struggled to convert goal to go possessions into TDs.

3 scores, my bad. But shouldn't he be leaving Murray in there to gain the experience rather than simply waving the white flag ? The kid was the # 1 pick. Your starter from day 1. It seems highly inconsistent to have pulled him in that spot. Just my 2 cents of course. 
A few weeks back, Kirk was hurt on the last play of a lost game and missed a few games because of it. As a Cardinals fan, I’m fine pulling Murray at that point. 

A few weeks back, Kirk was hurt on the last play of a lost game and missed a few games because of it. As a Cardinals fan, I’m fine pulling Murray at that point. 
I still would have lost this week anyway, but as a fantasy owner who made the mistake of starting him this week (my other options were seemingly worse), I was NOT fine with it. LOL.

He's gonna need to start using his legs more. Are they not watching Baltimore? The fact that they are already spreading teams out should make it easier if anything. 
I hope not - only because i think Jackson is going to get hurt.  He's taking too many hits.

I like the super cautious approach that the Cardinals are taking with Murray not putting himself in position to get hit hard.

I’m stuck starting him.. not expecting much at all. I’m looking forward to him facing the challenge though. I really like his future potential. Seems like someone who is easy to root for as well. 
In the days where the NFL is very difficult to watch, he is a joy to watch play. I find myself streaming his games weekly 

I’m stuck starting him.. not expecting much at all. I’m looking forward to him facing the challenge though. I really like his future potential. Seems like someone who is easy to root for as well. 
He does have great potential and he is really easy to root for. I've been riding with him since week 1 but the past 2 weeks have hurt. He hasn't been running as much which was what really helped is floor. I grabbed derek carr and am rolling with him just this week.  If murray shows any signs this week of getting back to running, I'll most likely roll with him for the rest of the season. I believe it will be Mahomes, D.Jones, and Murray as the faces of the NFL in a few years.

I’m playing him over fitzmagic in a super flex. Main reason is I’m a degenerate and want some skin in the game. Seems like you guys love watching him, this is my first chance to see him in an entire game.
He has his issues but he is crazy illusive. He still makes rookie mistakes such as holding the ball to long or even 2 weeks ago he ran out of bound while trying to eat the clock. When he decides to run, very few can catch him. His baseball skills help him a lot like stafford throwing on the run. Biggest issue to his height that I've seen so far is balls batted at the line. It definitely is above average just don't know by how much.

He just ended my season in 3 different leagues. He’s trash.

Maybe he’s better next year but he’s unstartable. 3 clunkers in a row and now I’m likely done setting lineups completely.

This might be the first season I don’t have 1 team that makes the playoffs and he’s going to play a big part in that. That big game against Atlanta was the worst thing that could have happened in retrospect.

Also, Larry Fitzgerald you need to hang them up...
:ptts:

:lmao: talking trash at halftime always backfires.

In my 4pt pass TD league the 49ers' defense has given up 17 total fantasy points to QBs in the last 5 weeks COMBINED, and has given up 48 fantasy points to QBs on the ENTIRE SEASON.

Kyler put up 21 against them tonight.

:lmao: talking trash at halftime always backfires.

In my 4pt pass TD league the 49ers' defense has given up 17 total fantasy points to QBs in the last 5 weeks COMBINED, and has given up 48 fantasy points to QBs on the ENTIRE SEASON.

Kyler put up 21 against them tonight.
S.T.U.D.

Kyle Odegard‏Verified account @Kyle_Odegard

Kyler Murray, against a defense that was historically great through seven games: 17-of-24 for 241 yards, 2 TD. Passer rating of 130.7. 10 yards per attempt. Whew.

8:16 PM - 31 Oct 2019

Kyler Murray completed 17-of-24 passes for 241 yards and two touchdowns in the Cardinals' 28-25, Week 9 loss to the 49ers, adding five rushes for 34 additional yards.

It had the looks of an ominous night for Murray, who entered halftime with just 46 yards, including zero rushing. Dealing with injuries all along the offensive line, Murray took a 19-yard sack in the second quarter. He tried to throw a pick six the following play, but Fred Warner dropped it. The Cardinals incorporated more tempo after the break, and Murray steadily heated up before finding Andy Isabella for an 88-yard touchdown with 4:53 remaining. It was the third-longest play of the 2019 season. Murray dropped an absurd dime over the top of Emmanuel Moseley, and Isabella used his elite speed to reverse fields and do the rest. Murray badly needed the touchdown after his quiet first half and back-to-back scoreless efforts in Weeks 7 and 8. Murray still isn't meeting fantasy expectations, but that could change in a Week 10 smash spot with the Bucs.

Oct 31, 2019, 11:45 PM ET

Kyle Odegard‏Verified account @Kyle_Odegard

Kyler Murray, against a defense that was historically great through seven games: 17-of-24 for 241 yards, 2 TD. Passer rating of 130.7. 10 yards per attempt. Whew.

8:16 PM - 31 Oct 2019
Hate being that "if you take away that one play" guy, cause I'm not typically a fan of this line of thinking, buttttttt..... 16-of-23 for 153 yards, 1 TD looks MUCH more pedestrian than the above line.

This is actually really accurate. Things looked bad, and if you benched him like I did, you aren't wrong or kicking yourself, you're just sorta surprised that Isabella happened and saved his night. It's like OBJ and Mayfield against the Jets. One big play. 

Hate being that "if you take away that one play" guy, cause I'm not typically a fan of this line of thinking, buttttttt..... 16-of-23 for 153 yards, 1 TD looks MUCH more pedestrian than the above line.
But there’s no reason to take away that play. It wasn’t luck. It was a perfect downfield pass and then relied on a playmaking WR with 4.3 speed to finish it up.

yeah that "take away one play" argument is a poor one
Generally speaking it usually is. Here it’s even worse because for what reason would we take away a play that was executed well and wasn’t blow coverage or missed tackles.

Not to mention that say Andy was tackled right away - couldn’t Murray have got those yards and TDs on the rest of the drive anyway?

No problem if you make things up then I'll just say his defense actually got him the ball back instead of allowing the Niners to kill the clock that he made another 88 yard TD to pump up his stat line to 18 of 25 for 321 yards and 3 TDs but that is absurd to make things up when you look at what he actually did.

San Francisco defense

• Had allowed a 53.7 QB passer rating all year 
  • Had allowed 11 points per game all year
  • Had allowed 23 points in the previous four weeks combined
VS

Kyler Murray 

• Rookie who many said was too small with less than a half season under his belt
  • Rookie head coach who had a losing record in college
  • Poor offensive line that is banged up
  • 40 year old #1 WR with no established WRs other than Fitz
  • RB picked up days prior and nothing else
  • Defense that didn't get him the ball back because they kept giving up 3rd and long plays
Kyler (without any 'made-up' stats) had a QB passer rating of 130.1, completes 71% of his passes, scores most points against dominant defense more than doubling the average they had given up.

But there’s no reason to take away that play. It wasn’t luck. It was a perfect downfield pass and then relied on a playmaking WR with 4.3 speed to finish it up.

yeah that "take away one play" argument is a poor one

No problem if you make things up then I'll just say his defense actually got him the ball back instead of allowing the Niners to kill the clock that he made another 88 yard TD to pump up his stat line to 18 of 25 for 321 yards and 3 TDs but that is absurd to make things up when you look at what he actually did.

San Francisco defense

• Had allowed a 53.7 QB passer rating all year 
  • Had allowed 11 points per game all year
  • Had allowed 23 points in the previous four weeks combined
VS

Kyler Murray 

• Rookie who many said was too small with less than a half season under his belt
  • Rookie head coach who had a losing record in college
  • Poor offensive line that is banged up
  • 40 year old #1 WR with no established WRs other than Fitz
  • RB picked up days prior and nothing else
  • Defense that didn't get him the ball back because they kept giving up 3rd and long plays
Kyler (without any 'made-up' stats) had a QB passer rating of 130.1, completes 71% of his passes, scores most points against dominant defense more than doubling the average they had given up.
I agree, that 'take away one play' line of thinking is usually overblown.  And also, yes I was quite impressed with Murray vs that Defense.  Wasn't trying to take anything away from his performance, but just saying he pretty much got half of his stats in one play there.

I started him in a 2QB league last night and that  TD pass saved my night completely.  Without that, I would have been upset at his 13 point fantasy performance.

Without that, I would have been upset at his 13 point fantasy performance.
I was expecting a 2-3 point game based on the last two performances and the SF defense.

Is it just me or did he look like he was shot out of a CANNON on that read option run play in the late 3rd where he picked up 15+ yards.  holy cow!!!! more please, here it is:

https://youtu.be/qAkM3Vyt8WY?t=434

Why is Cliff not dialing up 6-7 of these a game?  I thought he was gonna take that to the house for a second, blazing fast

Last edited by a moderator:
I was expecting a 2-3 point game based on the last two performances and the SF defense.

Is it just me or did he look like he was shot out of a CANNON on that read option run play in the late 3rd where he picked up 15+ yards.  holy cow!!!! more please, here it is:

https://youtu.be/qAkM3Vyt8WY?t=434

Why is Cliff not dialing up 6-7 of these a game?  I thought he was gonna take that to the house for a second, blazing fast
He was so fast on that play.  Agreed they should have him running more.  He seems to be as fast as Lamar (I know neither ran 40 times), so more designed runs wouldn't be a bad idea.

regarding the rookie head coach-

It is refreshing to see him trying something new, changing things up after halftime. 

The hurry up offense was way more effective against SF than the traditional huddle up and run a play style. Also he realized SF was pinning their ears back and going all out, so he called some designed option plays, QB keepers, screens, etc. 

A lot of the frustrations from many in this thread is the play calling, but it's nice to see a coach learning and making changes. This coming from a Packer fan who had been used to, prior to this year, watching McCarthy try the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 

Murray is fun to watch, and he's paying off in fantasy so far

Deamon said:
I agree, that 'take away one play' line of thinking is usually overblown.  And also, yes I was quite impressed with Murray vs that Defense.  Wasn't trying to take anything away from his performance, but just saying he pretty much got half of his stats in one play there.

I started him in a 2QB league last night and that  TD pass saved my night completely.  Without that, I would have been upset at his 13 point fantasy performance.
13 points would still have been the 2nd or 3rd best fantasy performance against the 9ers this season and more points than the last 4 QBs to play against them got combined.

Mike Jurecki‏Verified account @mikejurecki

#AZCardinals #K1 3-2 in his last five games zero turnovers has attempted 172 consecutive passes without an INT this season. (He did get the benefit last week when #49ers LB Fred Warner dropped an interception)

Not a lot "franchise quarterbacks" can go five games without a TO.

10:47 AM - 4 Nov 2019

------------------------------------

@mikejurecki

Per @PFF "Perhaps the most promising element of his past month was the jump we saw from him on the high-end throws. Murray quadrupled his big-time throw rate from 1.8% of attempts in September to 7.3% in October."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@PFF Offensive Rookie of the Month "#K1 overall grade of 80.6 ranked eighth among all quarterbacks in October, much improved from the 61.6 grade he posted in September (22nd). https://twitter.com/PFF_Cardinals/status/1191492450101145600 …

3:15 PM - 4 Nov 2019

Users who are viewing this thread