What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyler Murray, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Heisman winner and a two-sport athlete who is under contract with the Oakland As and his agent says he's done with football but Kyler didn't close the door.

I haven't seen any threads on the kid and was hoping to get an insight into his NFL football potential since no mocks have him at the top of the board that I've seen.  

My feeling is that no one will touch him at the top of the draft but someone might take a flyer late even if they know he will play baseball for a season or two.

As Kyler Murray's NFL Stock Rises, Questions About His Future Persist

...Murray’s NFL Draft stock is rising. So much so that ESPN’s NFL Draft guru, Todd McShay, said Wednesday he thinks the two-sport star and current Oklahoma quarterback can go in the first round.

“I think Kyler Murray would be a first-round pick,” McShay said.

“I think the league is changing. It’s more about quick-twitch guys who can get the ball out and can move. He does that as well as anyone in the country, and I think he’s going to win the Heisman because of it. He’s made a decision to go to play baseball, and it’s probably the smart decision for the long-term of his career, but I’d love to see him give it a shot in the NFL because I think he has a chance to be a really good starting quarterback at the next level.”

Murray, of course, was drafted ninth overall by the Oakland A’s in the 2018 MLB Draft and inked a $4.66 million signing bonus. But the A’s allowed Murray to return to Oklahoma for his redshirt junior season to play quarterback, and he promptly lit the college football world aflame, leading the Sooners to a spot in the College Football Playoff and becoming one of three finalists for the Heisman Trophy Award, which will be handed out Saturday.

Murray leads all college quarterbacks in passing efficiency, is second in touchdowns (40) and third in passing yards (4,053). The dual-threat quarterback has actually totaled more touchdowns (48) and yards (4,945) than Baker Mayfield.

And Mayfield went No. 1 overall in last year’s NFL Draft.
The biggest/littlest thing working against him as an NFL QB prospect is his height, listed at 5'11 but 'probably' shorter.  Russell Wilson is 5'11, Brees is 6'0, and Baker Mayfield is just under 6'1.He signed with the Oakland A's, but Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray faces NFL decision

...Dungy thinks back 25 years.

He was Vikings defensive coordinator, scouting draft prospects. Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward was lighting opponents up for 3,032 yards and 27 touchdowns to land Florida State’s first-ever national title. Dungy told then-Vikings coach Dennis Green to pursue Ward.

“As a defensive coach at the time,” Dungy told USA TODAY Sports, “I’m thinking, ‘Man. I would not want to play against this guy and all the headaches he would provide.’”

But would Ward, who instead became a first-round NBA pick with a 12-year career, sign if the Vikings risked the selection?

“It was really a conundrum,” Dungy said.

...“The game has evolved,” Murray’s father Kevin, who helped Texas A&M beat Heisman dual-sport athlete Bo Jackson in the 1986 Cotton Bowl, told USA TODAY Sports. “And so has the quarterback position.”

Murray’s ability to read, process and deliver are “critically important traits” teams look for, Kevin Murray says.

“He flat knows how to play,” said Steinberg, whose clientele have included Mahomes and Troy Aikman. “If a team could overlook the size situation, they’d have a prototypical player.”

Gil Brandt agrees. Brandt, who spent 29 years as the Cowboys’ vice president of personnel, calls Murray “probably as a good a runner/passer combination as any quarterback I’ve ever seen.” He’s certain scouts are writing reports on Murray.

Draft analyst Dane Brugler projects Murray a top-50 pick, depending on which teams in the market for quarterback buy in to Murray’s skill set. ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. said Wednesday that if Murray were three inches taller, “he’d be the No. 1 pick overall hands down. Then he would have a big decision to make.”

Instead, Kiper says, Murray would fall to Round 2. ESPN draft expert Todd McShay insists he’d go in the first.

...Murray’s baseball contract hasn’t stopped the NFL from hoping.

He told Tim Tebow on ESPN last weekend that he’d discuss his future with his family after the Sooners’ playoff run.

“Weigh out the option of what the NFL thinks of me,” Murray said. “Right now, my future is already kind of planned out, but we’ll see what happens.”

Sooners coach Lincoln Riley has told inquiring NFL minds simply that Murray “loves football.”
Just think what happens if Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley takes an NFL HC job?

Last edited by a moderator:
Drew Henson went in, what, the 6th? I think somewhere after round 5 starts he’d come off the board. Doesn’t him being a junior mean that he couldn’t be drafted unless he “declared” or is it a deal where he says he’s no longer playing college football and is eligible for the draft? I think if this is a 2020 draft deal he’d most likely slip to the far end of the draft after being a year removed from football and advancing his baseball career.

Drew Henson went in, what, the 6th? I think somewhere after round 5 starts he’d come off the board. Doesn’t him being a junior mean that he couldn’t be drafted unless he “declared” or is it a deal where he says he’s no longer playing college football and is eligible for the draft? I think if this is a 2020 draft deal he’d most likely slip to the far end of the draft after being a year removed from football and advancing his baseball career.
You are right, he has to be out of HS for three years and declare as an underclassman. 

I don't know the deadline for declaring for the draft, if its before or after Oklahoma's bowl game.

AFIK their isn't a downside for Tyler Murray in declaring for the NFL draft since he isn't going back.

He asked for permission to play and has had a great season.   I don't know why he would not declare for the NFL draft.  

I dont think he is that good and is too small to play qb.  :bag:

I know its far from the consensus but I think both he and Tua dont have the typical NFL qb physiques.  I know there are exceptions to the rule but they are few and far between.

You are right, he has to be out of HS for three years and declare as an underclassman. 

I don't know the deadline for declaring for the draft, if its before or after Oklahoma's bowl game.

AFIK their isn't a downside for Tyler Murray in declaring for the NFL draft since he isn't going back.

He asked for permission to play and has had a great season.   I don't know why he would not declare for the NFL draft.  
It could be better for him to be a UDFA if he chooses to play football 2 to 4 years from now. I don’t know the ins and outs. At very least he would get to choose the team he plays for. Also think your auto correct got you on the “Tyler”.

It could be better for him to be a UDFA if he chooses to play football 2 to 4 years from now. I don’t know the ins and outs. At very least he would get to choose the team he plays for. Also think your auto correct got you on the “Tyler”.
Pure speculation.

Lets say he declares for the draft and a team drafts him.

They hold his rights for one year if he doesn't sign with them and goes back into the draft pool.

If he declares and a team drafts him the clock starts ticking.

For Kyler (no auto correct, just me) I don't see a downside for him declaring for the NFL draft since he has already said he's not going back to Oklahoma and that is typically the decision for an underclassman in declaring for the NFL draft.  If they jump ship and no NFL takes them then they are ineligible to go back.  Murray isn't facing that dilemma so the only possible downside is he makes the As sweat but they probably didn't like him playing QB for a year and risking injury so he doesn't seem too concerned with what baseball thinks of his football interest. 

Did he say he wanted to play football and baseball earlier this week? Rapoport was indicating that but that Boras said he would only play baseball. Agents are about as trustworthy as a house cat though.

I dont think he is that good and is too small to play qb.  :bag:

I know its far from the consensus but I think both he and Tua dont have the typical NFL qb physiques.  I know there are exceptions to the rule but they are few and far between.
Tua is Russell Wilson 2.0 with an even better arm, IMO

Oklahoma redshirt junior QB Kyler Murray is "very much weighing whether to enter the NFL draft."

While speaking to The Athletic's Stewart Mandel at the Orange Bowl Media Day, Murray admitted that it won't be easy to give up football. This aligns with his actions, as Murray asked the NFL for feedback about his draft stock two weeks ago. The dual-sport athlete would owe the A's some of his first-round pick signing bonus if he opted for the NFL instead, but there's also a chance that he tries to play both next season. Murray hasn't announced the feedback he's received from the NFL, but NFL Media's Bucky Brooks has heard "Day 1 Pick" talk. NFL scouts will be tuned in for Oklahoma's matchup against Alabama on Saturday.

Source: Stewart Mandel on Twitter 

Dec 27 - 12:00 PM

Here we have a unique situation.

I have no doubts he can have a package of plays focusing on what he is.  And he might be able to play in a few games meaning he has NFL talent, but........noway a guy this small*** can survive as an NFL starter season after season.  As a novelty act, a spot player, a situational QB, that could work. But, who wastes a draft pick for that?

*** Wilson is thick, a 200 pounder.

Whatever round, he's being drafted. Teams can't help themselves with talent like his...add to that his good guy stuff, family background and he will definitely be drafted.

My favorite rumor is Riley and him to the Browns. He plays two sports and backs up Baker. If he chooses to only play football, he could then fetch nice trade value. In the meantime, the comfort in CLE would be great for him to learn the NFL adjustments.

The Athletic's Dane Brugler believes Oklahoma redshirt junior QB Kyler Murray would be a top-50 overall pick if he committed to football.

Brugler gets bolder by saying there is a "legitimate chance" that Murray would be a first-round selection if he committed to the NFL. Murray (5'10/195) isn't conventional, especially at his size, but Brugler believes the NFL is more open to non-traditional quarterbacks with the early successes of Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, and Lamar Jackson. NFL teams have also paid the price after passing on shorter quarterbacks like Russell Wilson and Drew Brees, so Murray may go higher than some believe (if he commits to the NFL). Murray hasn't announced his future plans regarding the NFL, but he is seeking a draft grade from the College Advisory Board.

Source: The Athletic 

Dec 28 - 7:43 PM

Oklahoma redshirt junior QB Kyler Murray completed 19-of-37 passes for 308 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for 109 yards and a score in Saturday's 45-34 loss to Alabama in the Orange Bowl.

Murray (5'10/195) and the Oklahoma offense was noticeably off early in the game, allowing Alabama to jump out to a 21-0 lead after the first quarter. The Tide would lead 31-10 at halftime before the redshirt junior signal-caller was finally able to get things going in the second half. He connected with Charleston Rambo on a 49-yard touchdown pass near the end of the third quarter and both rushed and passed for a score in the fourth quarter. Despite the late offensive action, the early hole was just too much to overcome. It didn't help that HC Lincoln Riley decided to go all-out on onside kicks in the fourth quarter, which worked once but also allowed Alabama several short fields. Murray finishes his Heisman-winning campaign having accounted for 54 total touchdowns across 14 games played. All eyes now turn to Murray's intriguing MLB/NFL decision. He told The Athletic's Stewart Mandel earlier this month that he is "very much weighing" a possible draft declaration.

Dec 30 - 12:27 AM

Whatever round, he's being drafted. Teams can't help themselves with talent like his...add to that his good guy stuff, family background and he will definitely be drafted.

My favorite rumor is Riley and him to the Browns. He plays two sports and backs up Baker. If he chooses to only play football, he could then fetch nice trade value. In the meantime, the comfort in CLE would be great for him to learn the NFL adjustments.
You can't do 2 sports in today's NFL, even as a backup qb.  Lots of important game planning, learning the offense, etc during the week for a backup QB, and he would be there for NONE of it.  Miss all camps, etc too.   If he did it, he would have to be in the same city too, and Oakland and Cleveland are quite far apart.

Maybe San Fran takes him round 6.

Its all just fun at this point. Some NY reporter broke a Lincoln Riley staying article as OK reporters quoted him undecided. No one knows anything today. Its just fun to think on

Murray certainly has the ability to play in the NFL but he will have to  change his style to more of a Russell Wilson type..using his legs and speed to buy time. Had RGIII done that from the start he will still be a starter in the NFL.

What I saw last night was a wildly inaccurate passer. 

Last night, all I saw him was missing throws. Stick with baseball, ride the busses, get those guarantees.   

Last night, all I saw him was missing throws. Stick with baseball, ride the busses, get those guarantees.   
Really? He looked bad in the first quarter but then he improved.

Only QB ever to run for more than 100 yards against Saban's Tide. Over 300 yards passing, aga butinst a fantastic defense.

Granted, the Tide was basically in prevent most of the game but still he looked pretty good. Not first round good but good enough for me to be okay if the Titans drafted him late to be MM's backup.

You can't do 2 sports in today's NFL, even as a backup qb.  Lots of important game planning, learning the offense, etc during the week for a backup QB, and he would be there for NONE of it.  Miss all camps, etc too.   If he did it, he would have to be in the same city too, and Oakland and Cleveland are quite far apart.

Maybe San Fran takes him round 6.
He wouldn't be able to do both as QB. You're right about that.

I do think certain positions could do it, but not QB.

I'd still take a chance late.

He wouldn't be able to do both as QB. You're right about that.

I do think certain positions could do it, but not QB.

I'd still take a chance late.
What positions could?  I agree back in the day maybe, but with today's prep, etc... I'm not sure it could be done.  You'd literally have to miss the ENTIRE week and just show up on game day and play.

What positions could?  I agree back in the day maybe, but with today's prep, etc... I'm not sure it could be done.  You'd literally have to miss the ENTIRE week and just show up on game day and play.
Punter, kicker, returner, long snapper...

Punter, kicker, long snapper...
lol I suppose.  But if you're good enough at baseball to play in the big leagues, you don't push yourself and miss an MLB game a week just to go make next to no money in the NFL as a kicker. 

lol I suppose.  But if you're good enough at baseball to play in the big leagues, you don't push yourself and miss an MLB game a week just to go make next to no money in the NFL as a kicker. 
Yeah, I know.

I was thinking a running back could possibly manage but it would be really difficult.

Honestly if I could play either professionally and be successful, I'd never get on the football field including for college. 

Yeah, I know.

I was thinking a running back could possibly manage but it would be really difficult.

Honestly if I could play either professionally and be successful, I'd never get on the football field including for college. 
Ya, I suppose the allure to the NFL would be fame, maybe love for the game if you have that, more endorsement deals, shorter season, and potential for coaching/broadcasting jobs after retirement.

But i agree, I think I'd still play baseball. So much easier on the body.

Ya, I suppose the allure to the NFL would be fame, maybe love for the game if you have that, more endorsement deals, shorter season, and potential for coaching/broadcasting jobs after retirement.

But i agree, I think I'd still play baseball. So much easier on the body.
I get it. But then I see Aaron Rodgers possibly get a concussion in a meaningless game. 

He would be out of his mind not to play baseball.....out of his freaking mind. 

Really? He looked bad in the first quarter but then he improved.

Only QB ever to run for more than 100 yards against Saban's Tide. Over 300 yards passing, aga butinst a fantastic defense.

Granted, the Tide was basically in prevent most of the game but still he looked pretty good. Not first round good but good enough for me to be okay if the Titans drafted him late to be MM's backup.
Yeah, I can't claim to be an expert on jumping from college to the pros in football and baseball, and can't claim to have seen him play baseball, but a $4.55 MM signing bonus will totally change your lifet. They're talking high A ball as a start, which is no joke. 

Last night, I saw a guy who can absolutely beat you with his legs as a Qb (sick!) and draft evaluators have him anywhere from a mid-first to mid-second, so what can I say? He'll still have to make it through Senior Day, the combine, etc. 

His arm didn't look so accurate at 5'10" last night is all.  

Yeah, I can't claim to be an expert on jumping from college to the pros in football and baseball, and can't claim to have seen him pitch, but a $4.55 MM signing bonus will totally change your life, plus starting pitching money if you make that. They're talking high A ball as a start, which is no joke. 

Last night, I saw a guy who can absolutely beat you with his legs as a Qb (sick!) and draft evaluators have him anywhere from a mid-first to mid-second, so what can I say? He'll still have to make it through Senior Day, the combine, etc. 

His arm didn't look so accurate at 5'10" last night is all.  
I can't believe I'm actually sort of defending him but he made some great throws and many bad throws. That was easily the best defense he faced all year and he wasn't ready. I think I saw two different players. First quarter he was bad, no way around it. Later on he flashed his potential.

Bottom line imo, he should play baseball. If I'm a team like the Titans, browns, Texans, and others (teams that could use a mobile backup QB and otherwise are strong all around), I'm taking a chance with a mid to late pick. 

Things change a bit if he makes his decision clear.

I can't believe I'm actually sort of defending him but he made some great throws and many bad throws. That was easily the best defense he faced all year and he wasn't ready. I think I saw two different players. First quarter he was bad, no way around it. Later on he flashed his potential.

Bottom line imo, he should play baseball. If I'm a team like the Titans, browns, Texans, and others (teams that could use a mobile backup QB and otherwise are strong all around), I'm taking a chance with a mid to late pick. 

Things change a bit if he makes his decision clear.
Yeah, Boras keeps saying baseball, Murray keeps hedging. 

Wish the best for the guy. Seems like just a great athlete. He should play the sport he loves, providing it provides.  

is it completely out of the realm of possibility for him to go to the NFL, play out 2-3 years (and let's assume he is not successful in the nfl), and then go on to play baseball still?

Couldnt it be more lucrative to be a career backup in the NFL than a minor/major league player? just seems like the chances of him being an NFL backup are very strong chances of him being a major league starter are not just from a mere numbers standpoint

I honestly dont know the answers to these questions, but it's interesting to consider

eta:

Hes likely to make at least 100k a month  including minicamp, as a backup. I'm not sure that's what he could make in mlb (including spring training) unless he was widely successful in the majors, which is possible of course. I dont know the answer to this either. I just see 2nd and 3rd string guys in the NFL making 550-880k carrying a clipboard and have to wonder if that's better than mlb

Personally, I'd do baseball

Considering Murray will start out in the minor leagues, the smart decision is football, IMO. 

No way he's getting out of the 2nd round (if he commits) so the money will be pretty good. Look what Jackson is doing with the Ravens & Murray has a LOT more arm talent. That said, I'm not particularly high on Jackson's longterm prospects, but Murray is a different animal. He's just as dangerous as a runner with legit passing capabilities.

The biggest reason, though, is it would be harder to go from baseball to football if baseball fails than the other way around. Playing both is a dicey situation & I'm not sure that's realistic as a QB. Any other position is more feasible.

I have a sneaky suspicion Murray goes football. Is there a total out in his baseball contract?

Sounds like he’s entering and sounds as if he is very interested in playing in the NFL... his efficiency this year was out of this world. He’s going to take a hit on the height but I’m interested to see who grabs him.

I'm not one to discount a guy based on height, but if he measures in less than 5'9" which sounds like he will, I wouldn't touch him if I were a GM.  

Half the league would probably see him choosing football as him having the passion and drive they want from a franchise QB. 

The other half would probably take it as a reason to question his decision-making, with baseball and millions right there for him. 

All of them will hate if he's 5'9". Even Brees has to work hard to find throwing lanes at 5'11". 

Also, can an NFL team even protect themselves from the possibility that if his development doesn't go well at first, he always has baseball in the wings? 

An early nfl pick will be much more $ than the 4.5M baseball bonus. A later round pick, maybe not. Nothing is guaranteed in either sport after that. It would be easier to go from failed nfl to pitcher than the other way. 

he could then fetch nice trade value
Interesting.

Say a team with a good young QB took him and he flashed in the preseason creating a buzz or they had a so-so starting QB and their 'good-nuff' veteran QB became available to fill an injury situation ALA Sam Bradford/Teddy.  

Or the team who took Kyler got a flood of calls right before the NFL trade deadline.

Could open more destinations that do not seem likely but ah, yeah interesting.

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
If that guy I 5'9" I will eat my shorts.
Shannon Sharpe says he is 5-9.   Said Murray would not do an interview with a 5-9 female reporter unless she took her heels off.

Watching his BB highlights he looks like a can`t miss prospect. Short compact swing that generates lots of power. Plus an easy 30 SB guy. Rare in todays game.

Users who are viewing this thread