What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyler Murray, ARZ (2 Viewers)

I've never really understood how any kind of false narrative helps create a bigger market for the #1 pick. 

I'm a fan of the Bucs and I want Josh Allen.  If Arizona comes out and says they're drafting Josh Allen does that really change what I would have been willing to pay to move up to that spot?  It shouldn't.  I know what I'm getting when/if I pay to move up there.  :shrug:

If I call them and they're willing to shop the pick then I'm immediately certain it isn't as much of a "done deal" as anyone said it was.  Pretty simple. 

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray will run the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day.

Murray will also conduct a "regular passing workout" after passing it up at the Combine. Murray took his measurables at the Combine but otherwise did not participate. Even his Pro Day workout will likely be for naught, as every dot continues to connect him to the Cardinals at No. 1 overall.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 7, 2019, 5:16 PM

Posting on social media Thursday, NFL.com's Gil Brandt tweeted that Charley Casserly's Kyler Murray report "sounds fabricated."

In case you missed it, citing anonymous sources, Casserly — infamously dubbed the most wrong man in football by Bill Belichick — slammed Murray's leadership, study habits and "white board" work following the Combine. Brandt refutes nearly all of it. Per Brandt, only one team had Murray work a white board. Brandt also said he has known Murray since he was a high school sophomore, and that any leadership and work ethic concerns would be news to him. It's just more evidence that Casserly's absurd report was a weak hit job on Murray in service of a team that wants him to fall in the draft. All indications continue to be that that will not happen.

SOURCE: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Mar 7, 2019, 5:30 PM

Casserly — infamously dubbed the most wrong man in football by Bill Belichick
Yeah, that's what I was talking about upthread. Thank God Casserly was in charge of finding Mike Maccagnan as GM of the Jets. 

:faints elegantly away: 

How can Casserly be wrong?

He isn't saying it, he is reporting it.

Seems that would make his source wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting on social media Thursday, NFL.com's Gil Brandt tweeted that Charley Casserly's Kyler Murray report "sounds fabricated."

In case you missed it, citing anonymous sources, Casserly — infamously dubbed the most wrong man in football by Bill Belichick — slammed Murray's leadership, study habits and "white board" work following the Combine. Brandt refutes nearly all of it. Per Brandt, only one team had Murray work a white board. Brandt also said he has known Murray since he was a high school sophomore, and that any leadership and work ethic concerns would be news to him. It's just more evidence that Casserly's absurd report was a weak hit job on Murray in service of a team that wants him to fall in the draft. All indications continue to be that that will not happen.

SOURCE: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Mar 7, 2019, 5:30 PM
Sounds like he's trying to do his former NFLN co-worker Mike Mayock a favor....

Really, really weak. 

ESPN's Todd McShay said Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray is "as instinctive as I can remember" when scouting quarterbacks.

McShay came to Murray's defense after former NFL GM and prospect interview coach Charley Casserley roasted Murray's character after speaking with anonymous sources. However, McShay did fairly point out that Murray does not have the same fiery leadership as Baker Mayfield -- most don't -- and, instead, relies on his on-field performance to speak for himself. Interviews are largely overanalyzed, especially when it surrounds a unique prospect. Murray is the odds-on-favorite to be selected with the No. 1 overall pick.

SOURCE: Todd McShay on Twitter

Mar 8, 2019, 7:21 PM

How can Casserly be wrong?

He isn't saying it, he is reporting it.

Seems that would make his source wrong.
His source could be making things up, and it would be his responsibility to do basic diligence to see if it checks out. Like when his source allegedly says that Murray couldn't do the work at the white board for many teams, he could find another person to corroborate that.

Or he could know his source is BSing him and not really care because he is conveying the message he wants him to.

Or he could have no source. Wouldn't be the first time these guys just blatantly made things up.

Sorry if this is already posted.

Dan Patrick said he had been told that Murray’s measurements may not be legit and that he could have “cheated” at the NFL Combine, where he was measured at just over 5’10” and weighed in at 207 pounds. For the record, NFL.com’s Gil Brandt spoke out against Casserly’s report as well as the suggestion that the measurements were not correct. Less than 50 days until the draft begins!

Dan Patrick said he had been told that Murray’s measurements may not be legit and that he could have “cheated” at the NFL Combine, where he was measured at just over 5’10” and weighed in at 207 pounds. For the record, NFL.com’s Gil Brandt spoke out against Casserly’s report as well as the suggestion that the measurements were not correct. Less than 50 days until the draft begins!
This is such a weird story.  Wouldnt people know this right off the bat as soon as they interview him and see him work out? 

Yeah, 1 page back if you had checked.  SP gave it the credibility it deserved.  No surprise that Patrick thought it was worth reporting.

How is it possible to cheat on that at the combine?
The conspiracy person in me thinks you get easily get a thin rubber mold that fits at the bottom of your foot to add a quarter to half inch.  I assume you could match the color up perfect and quickly put your socks shoes on right after you stand there to get measured. 

I think it also would be easy to gain 10ish pounds through different methods especially considering he didnt do any drills

that said I dont believe that at all.

His source could be making things up, and it would be his responsibility to do basic diligence to see if it checks out. Like when his source allegedly says that Murray couldn't do the work at the white board for many teams, he could find another person to corroborate that.

Or he could know his source is BSing him and not really care because he is conveying the message he wants him to.

Or he could have no source. Wouldn't be the first time these guys just blatantly made things up.
How many reports do we hear leading into the draft that are misinformation?  From even the "best" reporters.

Seems like a slippery slope to me.

How many times have Schefter, Mort, Glazer, Clayton, etc etc been wrong about information they get on the draft?  I imagine I can even find reporting about Murray that has proven wrong from this group. 

An NFL executive said, "I wouldn't be ready to risk my job for [Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray] yet."

The executive explains to NFL Media's Lance Zierlein that it takes more than athleticism to play quarterback in the NFL, and he remains uncertain if Murray (5'10/207) has what it takes since he only has one year of tape and played in the Big 12. The NFL views Murray as a risky investment and it would be really interesting to see how far Murray would fall if the Cardinals decide to stick with Josh Rosen. There should be more clarity on how the league views Murray after his pro day.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 11, 2019, 7:35 PM

NFL Media's Bucky Brooks said Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray "has been pretty impressive to watch" at the Oklahoma Pro Day.

Murray (5'10/207) didn't run the 40-yard dash, but he threw approximately 65 passes in front of tons of NFL evaluators and media. Almost all of his throws came inside of the pocket with a few tight bootlegs mixed in, but all of the analysts on the NFL Network were impressed with his firm throwing speed and ball placement. Charley Casserly, who has been critical of Murray in the past, gave Murray an 'A' for today's work out, and it certainly appears that Murray is headed for a high pick, perhaps even No. 1 overall. It was interesting that the Cardinals didn't send their executives or Kliff Kingsbury, but we won't read into that too much.

SOURCE: Bucky Brooks on Twitter

Mar 13, 2019, 12:15 PM

The conspiracy person in me thinks you get easily get a thin rubber mold that fits at the bottom of your foot to add a quarter to half inch.  I assume you could match the color up perfect and quickly put your socks shoes on right after you stand there to get measured. 

I think it also would be easy to gain 10ish pounds through different methods especially considering he didnt do any drills

that said I dont believe that at all.
<scouting notes>

Unusually thick feet

</scouting notes>

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah predicts that the Cardinals will draft Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray with the No. 1 overall pick.

This has become the consensus, but we'll take Jeremiah's conviction on Murray (5'10/207) to Arizona to dig our heals deeper into that speculation, especially since Jeremiah was with NFL scouts and executives at Murray's pro day earlier this afternoon. Everyone, including Jeremiah, walked away impressed with his velocity and accuracy, not that those throws really matter. What actually matters to the Cardinals is how much draft capital they can fetch if they opt to trade Josh Rosen. While there was no insight on that today, Jeremiah did "guess" that Rosen will be starting in the NFC East. An interesting option would be for the Giants to flip the newly acquired No. 17 overall pick in exchange for Rosen.

SOURCE: Around the NFL on Twitter

Mar 13, 2019, 2:13 PM

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said that Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray performed well enough at his Pro Day to strengthen his position as one of the top quarterbacks in this draft class.

McShay, who noted that Murray (5'10/207) performed well in the passing drills, also came away impressed with the Heisman Trophy winner's work off the field. "I was also really impressed by the confidence I saw when speaking with him both on- and off-camera," McShay wrote. "On top of that, there were nothing but positive reviews from the Sooners' coaching staff." Murray has been projected to be selected by the Cardinals with the first overall pick by several mock drafts, including McShay's, and he's considered to be even with Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins when it comes to the top signal-callers in the class. Neither Cardinals GM Steve Keim nor HC Kliff Kingsbury were in attendance at Oklahoma's Pro Day, but that isn't a huge deal. Arizona can certainly bring in Murray for a private workout, which is likely to be the case at some point before next month's draft.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Mar 14, 2019, 9:05 AM

Browns follow Eagles/Rams blueprint; Antonio Brown's outlook

Excerpt:

2) Kyler Murray checks another box. Initially, it was hard for some observers to envision Kyler Murray emerging as a first-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, due to his status as a one-year starter with substandard physical dimensions. But the Heisman Trophy winner is inching closer to potentially becoming the No. 1 overall pick after an impressive performance on Wednesday at Oklahoma's pro day.

While it is possible that the connection between Murray and the Arizona Cardinals is an elaborate smokescreen designed to coax another team into trading away significant draft capital to jump up to the top spot on the draft board, there's no denying the Oklahoma product's talent and potential as a possible No. 1 pick following his spectacular workout in front of representatives from all 32 NFL teams. 

Murray dazzled scouts with his A+ arm talent and athleticism while completing 61 of 67 passes in a scripted workout designed to showcase his pocket-passing ability. The 5-foot-10, 205-pound passer is an "easy" thrower with a compact motion that looks ripped from a quarterback training video. Murray not only displayed quick feet and excellent balance taking three-, five- and seven-step drops, but he showed evaluators that he's capable of throwing with touch, timing and anticipation from the pocket. He can throw darts on drive throws to the boundary from the opposite hash or drop in feathery tosses to receivers down the seams or inside the numbers. 

Murray is the rare power pitcher with a changeup, slider and knuckleball in his arsenal. He can carve up defenses with a variety of throws tossed from the pocket or on the move. Although he didn't display his movement passing skills during the workout, Murray has a ton of highlight-reel throws on his tape that put that question to bed. He is not only capable of making pinpoint throws to receivers on deep crossers and comeback routes, but he is an improvisational wizard with a knack for connecting on rainbows when throwing outside of the pocket. 

Despite being viewed as a five-star athlete based on his exploits on the football field and baseball diamond (he was already a top-10 pick in the MLB draft), Murray decided to bypass the 40-yard dash and the athletic testing portions (shuttles and jumps) of OU's pro day. Although blazing a blistering time in the 40 would've created a buzz throughout the NFL scouting community, the Heisman Trophy winner's nifty footwork and fluid movements as a passer confirmed his exceptional athleticism.

To that point, Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley silenced any concerns about Murray's speed and quickness when he hinted to NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah that his QB1 would seriously challenge Marquise Brown in a 40-yard race. Considering Brown's reputation as one of the fastest players in college football, the notion that Murray could hang with (or even beat) the speedster speaks volumes about his overall explosiveness.

From a character standpoint, Murray's personality and leadership skills could become less of a concern after watching him interact with his teammates at the workout. The Sooners appeared genuinely excited about Murray's performance, and the endless high fives and hugs suggest that he was well-liked by his peers. Granted, the observation from afar needs to be backed with solid information from coaches and administrators, but he appeared to have a strong connection with his teammates at first glance. 

Murray's post-workout interview also showed more of his personality and gave evaluators a glimpse of how he could command a room as a soft-spoken -- yet ultra-confident -- player. Although the combination of shyness and athletic arrogance could rub some team executives the wrong way, others will see Murray's easy-going nature during the interview as an encouraging sign of how he could project as the face of a franchise. 

Overall, Murray's workout wasn't flawless, but he certainly checked off enough boxes to remain squarely in the conversation as a top-10 pick -- possibly No. 1 overall.

I'm not the biggest Murray fan or hater, I'm rather undecided yet intrigued, but this is funny. As if anyone values Marvin Lewis' ability to evaluate QBs
I'm super high on him. I wish Washington could trade up and get him. With Kingsbury he's going to hit the field running.

Rookie of the year and I believe he'll break Baker Mayfield's rookie TD passes record if he goes to Arizona. 

I'm super high on him. I wish Washington could trade up and get him. With Kingsbury he's going to hit the field running.

Rookie of the year and I believe he'll break Baker Mayfield's rookie TD passes record if he goes to Arizona. 
If Arizona don't take him, the NYG, Miami, Redskins should move up and give the farm to get him.

I’m eyeing him at 2.10 in a QB1 league despite having Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. I tend to roster only 2 QBs in that league so owning 3 means I like him a lot. He might not fall to me though 

I’m eyeing him at 2.10 in a QB1 league despite having Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. I tend to roster only 2 QBs in that league so owning 3 means I like him a lot. He might not fall to me though 
He won't get out of the 1st round imo. 

In a QB1 league? That rarely happens in the league I’m in
Yeah I know same here but a couple things working here. There's not really a clear cut #1 rookie this year and depending on when you draft Murray is going to light the league on fire this preseason. He'll seem safer after people see him play......

He won't get out of the 1st round imo. 
holding 2.1. I dont necessarily need him and I may pass, but if he is there I will strongly consider it. If hes not I will pass on a qb this year. he is a rare talent that's for sure. if he busts it wont be the worst. I am worried about 1.13 ahead of me, but he has a lot of holes on his team. If Murray is gone I will have some amazing options, so it's win win for me

eta: Mayfield went 2.5

Multiple outlets are reporting that Arizona Cardinals HC Kliff Kingsbury and GM Steve Keim are meeting with Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray in Norman on Tuesday.

Kingsbury and Keim were not present at Murray's pro day -- don't read too much into that --but will meet with him on Tuesday as they continue to look into the possibility of shipping Josh Rosen out of town in order to take the Heisman winner at No. 1. While we'll undoubtedly continue to hear rumors on the Murray-Cardinals connection, the reality is that we're in something of a holding pattern until Arizona makes a decision on Rosen. It remains possible that this talk is all just smoke screen, but at the very least, the Cardinals are doing their due diligence.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Mar 19, 2019, 12:52 PM

So if Murray to Arizona at 1 is such a slam dunk - why is there no buzz about Arizona shopping Rosen around at all?

I believe that they will take Murray but that's the only thing that gives me some pause.

I agree that if he goes to Arizona he's worth taking with a late first, especially in this draft class where the RBs all seem a little 'meh'.

So if Murray to Arizona at 1 is such a slam dunk - why is there no buzz about Arizona shopping Rosen around at all?

I believe that they will take Murray but that's the only thing that gives me some pause.

I agree that if he goes to Arizona he's worth taking with a late first, especially in this draft class where the RBs all seem a little 'meh'.

I’m guessing the movement happens on draft day when someone is left without a QB when the music stops in the first 5-8 picks.  The rookie pickings look to be pretty slim this year after Murray and Haskins.  I liked Lock’s chances right up until he got the radar gun put on his passes.  I’m pretty sure that after the top 2 guys this year that teams will see the risks outweigh the potential in burning a 1st rounder on any other QBs in this draft.  So the jockeying will occur in the top 5 to draft Haskins and after that AZ will likely have multiple suitors bidding on Rosen.  

Worst case - AZ carries 2 young QBs, gets to choose the better of the 2 to keep, and moves the other in the future.  SD made out okay using a similar model.

Just for the sake of argument... 

If Rosen is worth a reported 3rd round pick now, where is he in 1 year if he sits behind Murray? or does Murray sit a year?

Users who are viewing this thread