Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Bracie Smathers

QB Kyler Murray Oklahoma

I looked up and saw Cardinals near their printed name in the end zone.

I knew they were on defense.

This is awful lol.  Tebow-esque. 

And now he's had a respectable day, fantasy-wise. It is like Teebs, who I rostered when he was in Denver. 

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

And now he's had a respectable day, fantasy-wise. It is like Teebs, who I rostered when he was in Denver. 

He’s in a much pass-happier offense which gives him a higher floor/ceiling every week 

Edited by PigSkinMan

Just now, PigSkinMan said:

He’s in a much pass-happier offense which gives him a higher floor/ceiling every week 

That's very true. It's the late fantasy points combined with the general football ineffectiveness that I'm talking about, not the style or manner in which they're acquired.

Kyler Murray completed 22-of-32 passes for 241 yards and a pick, adding four carries for 27 yards and a touchdown via his legs in Arizona's Week 4 loss to the Seahawks.

Trailing by 17 heading into the fourth quarter, Murray's nine-yard rushing score on a designed QB draw salvaged what would've been a horrendous showing. Murray was sacked four times, but Arizona's offense ultimately failed to show promise for a full four quarters — an ongoing issue with no real resolution in sight. The rookie's completion rate will likely finish among the league's best, but only because coach Kliff Kingsbury's Horizontal Raid offense allows for shallow passes in the flats that are easily caught. Furthermore, no receiver behind Damiere Byrd (out) provided a semblance of flash. Murray will attempt to regroup in time for what could be a terrific spot against the Bengals if the Cardinals click.

Sep 29, 2019, 9:24 PM ET

12 hours ago, pantherclub said:

Unstartable

What are your thoughts in Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Baker Mayfield?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

What are your thoughts in Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Baker Mayfield?

And Watson, Carr, Russell, Dak, and Cousins. Because Kyler outscored all those guys this week. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

And Watson, Carr, Russell, Dak, and Cousins. Because Kyler outscored all those guys this week. 

Yes thats totally the point

14 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Kyler has outscored Brady, Rodgers, Mayfield on the season. Yet they were regarded as hot commodities in redraft this year. I'd be willing to bet pantherclub would be starting Rodgers this week without hesitation if he had him. 

Furthermore, Murray is a low end QB1 right now. Looking back on the last two years here is where other notable rookie QBs finished:

2018:

Mayfield QB18

Darnold QB26

2017:

Trubisky QB 27

Watson QB29

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Yes thats totally the point

What is your opinion of Brady, Rodgers, Mayfield? Startable?

1 minute ago, Dr. Dan said:

What is your opinion of Brady, Rodgers, Mayfield? Startable?

That really depends on your options no?

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

That really depends on your options no?

Not really.

That didnt stop you from making a blanket statement about Murray who is out performing those 3 thus far 

Edited by Dr. Dan
  • Like 2

I was wrong to sit Wentz for Murray.  I think there will be big days ahead, but he's just not quite ready for prime time.

2 hours ago, Manster said:

I was wrong to sit Wentz for Murray.  I think there will be big days ahead, but he's just not quite ready for prime time.

I started Wentz but the difference between the two was only 2 points in my league with standard QB scoring (4pt pass TDs).

• Like 1

I benched Brady for Kyler this week and watched most of the game. I found myself yelling “RUN” at the TV more than a few times. He needs to start getting those ground yards and just sliding with plenty of time so he doesn’t get lit up. He could have had 60-80 yards on the ground yesterday. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ahartig said:

I benched Brady for Kyler this week and watched most of the game. I found myself yelling “RUN” at the TV more than a few times. He needs to start getting those ground yards and just sliding with plenty of time so he doesn’t get lit up. He could have had 60-80 yards on the ground yesterday. 

His offense looks funky, he appears afraid to throw downfield, he appears a bit timid and hesitant to take off to run, his defense is putrid as is his offensive line.  Again, he is a no go until KK can figure this out.

3 hours ago, Manster said:

1 hour ago, FreeBaGeL said:

I started Wentz but the difference between the two was only 2 points in my league with standard QB scoring (4pt pass TDs).

started Murray but the 2 pts would not have made a difference in my matchup

Edited by JoeSteeler

Has a good game and  ...:tumbleweed:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Josh Norris‏Verified account @JoshNorris

I know no one watched Cardinals-Bengals, but it was absolutely Kyler Murray's best performance of his young career. Big plays, off balance throws and decisive when creating on the ground. All around playmaker

7:50 AM - 8 Oct 2019

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

I know no one watched Cardinals-Bengals, but it was absolutely Kyler Murray's best performance of his young career. Big plays, off balance throws and decisive when creating on the ground. All around playmaker

I mean he is scoring points fantasy wise so I am not complaining, but I had that game right in front of me and I think I again saw one throw beyond even 8-9 yards... the one to Copper?

eta - he ran more, so there was that.

Edited by matuski

1 hour ago, matuski said:

I mean he is scoring points fantasy wise so I am not complaining, but I had that game right in front of me and I think I again saw one throw beyond even 8-9 yards... the one to Copper?

eta - he ran more, so there was that.

Pretty sure he threw at least 2 to DJ beyond 10 yards and they were pretty damn impressive throws. Over the shoulder right on the Money.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

He had some pinpoint throws off balance. real impressive. Starting for me going forward, especially with his schedule lightening up

2 hours ago, ahartig said:

Pretty sure he threw at least 2 to DJ beyond 10 yards and they were pretty damn impressive throws. Over the shoulder right on the Money.

Yep I stand corrected.. just bad timing on my watching.  He looks to have had several 20+ yard completions. :thumbup:

Posted (edited)

Murray is QB2 for "money throws" (whatever that means, but it sounds sexy), and QB8 for deep ball completion percentage 

Edited by Dr. Dan

He’s the real deal, fellas. And he’s just scratching the surface. Fellow dynasty superflex owners, rejoice. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 9:18 AM, Milkman said:

Oh yeah. Him and Baker. 

On 8/29/2019 at 10:58 AM, Milkman said:

Our projections are pretty close. I think he'll throw 30+ TDs and runs little less. 

reading back through this thread makes me laugh a bit

so many good nuggets about this kid

36 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

He’s the real deal, fellas. And he’s just scratching the surface. Fellow dynasty superflex owners, rejoice. 

Agree. I had an insurance plan for 2020 if he was a bust and I'm feeling good about just trading it away. This guy is a generational QB talent. Going to win a lot of championships for folks

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Agree. I had an insurance plan for 2020 if he was a bust and I'm feeling good about just trading it away. This guy is a generational QB talent. Going to win a lot of championships for folks

4 passing tds.  4 ints

what am I missing here?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

4 passing tds.  4 ints

what am I missing here?

he's setting records. already. busts don't do that. his ceiling has not yet been achieved, but is very high 

Edited by Dr. Dan
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

he's setting records. already. busts don't do that. his ceiling has not yet been achieved, but is very high 

records?

• Like 1

Looking at his stats, they're nothing we haven't seen before......even for a rookie.  At least he has fanboys.  I'm just not one.

Source: AZCardinals.com - Mike Jurecki

Arizona Cardinals QB Kyler Murray is the first player in NFL history with more than 1,300 yards passing and 200 yards rushing through his first five career games, according to AZCardinals.com's Mike Jurecki.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Shawnky said:

Looking at his stats, they're nothing we haven't seen before......even for a rookie.  At least he has fanboys.  I'm just not one.

wrong

3 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Source: AZCardinals.com - Mike Jurecki

Arizona Cardinals QB Kyler Murray is the first player in NFL history with more than 1,300 yards passing and 200 yards rushing through his first five career games, according to AZCardinals.com's Mike Jurecki.

we have never seen this before 

Edited by Dr. Dan

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

wrong

Good for him.  That happens when you're constantly playing from behind.  It's cool you're a fan.  No one is telling you not to be.  I see nothing special, but then again, I'm just a casual fantasy football player.

2 minutes ago, Shawnky said:

Good for him.  That happens when you're constantly playing from behind.  It's cool you're a fan.  No one is telling you not to be.  I see nothing special, but then again, I'm just a casual fantasy football player.

It's fine to have differing opinions, but just pointing out we literally have not seen this before, ever... even though your eyes lie to you and tell you otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, Shawnky said:

BTW.....that's one hell of a sample size.

I agree. to be the fastest rookie to that mark in the entire 100 year history of the NFL is quite a sample size.

32 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

4 passing tds.  4 ints

what am I missing here?

The other 206 yards rushing, and two tds. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

It's fine to have differing opinions, but just pointing out we literally have not seen this before, ever... even though your eyes lie to you and tell you otherwise. 

You're opinion is right.  My opinion is wrong.  Even though it's been 5 games.  You got me GB.

12 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

I'm a fan but this is going a little too far. There are more talented QBs in this generation already.

wrong

I'm on your side mostly but it's easy to say someone is the first to do something when you choose arbitrary cutoff points.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

wrong

Just to further my point above Cam Newton threw for 1,610 yards and ran for 160 yards in his first five NFL games. Which is really the better start?

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I'm on your side mostly but it's easy to say someone is the first to do something when you choose arbitrary cutoff points.

Its according to some AZ writer. 

I agree week 5 is a weird cut off. However, IMO, he has proven that he isnt a bust. I dont think it's absurd to predict a normal growth curve with time/experience and improvement in opportunities with an improved OL. Hes already a QB1, so adding in growth and an OL should raise his ceiling even higher.  

wrong

The Cardinals have also ran a record number of plays through the first 5 games.

Just now, Dr. Dan said:

Its according to some AZ writer. 

I agree week 5 is a weird cut off. However, IMO, he has proven that he isnt a bust. I dont think it's absurd to predict a normal growth curve with time/experience and improvement in opportunities with an improved OL. Hes already a QB1, so adding in growth and an OL should raise his ceiling even higher.  

I meant "you" in the general sense. I knew you were quoting some one else. I'm not talking about Week 5 as the cutoff, because it's obvious why that is, we're only through Week 5. I'm just saying choosing 1,300 passing yards and 200 rushing yards is an arbitrary cutoff because those are his stats. He has been impressive and I agree there's room for growth.

• Like 1

FWIW, Murray ranks 6th in fantasy points for a QB's first 5 games.  Behind Newton Watson Griffin Bulger and Rypien.  (7th is Gardner Minshew.)

To me that's more insightful than the 1300 200 thing, which IMO isn't really "setting records" any more than what those guys above did (Newton more passing yards, Griffin more rushing yards, the others more TDs).