Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Bracie Smathers

QB Kyler Murray Oklahoma

Murray is extraordinarily intriguing.  People keep bringing up Mayfield and Wilson when talking about Murray, but don’t bring up Lamar Jackson much.  Mayfield and Wilson are both 10% heavier than Murray, whereas Jackson is both taller and lighter than either, and he survived being pounded to a pulp in the NFL because of his speed and agility.  Of course, Jackson can’t come close to Murray as a passer, which is what really sets the table for the intrigue.

I think Murray is going to be very coach/system dependent.  I’m not sure you can put him under center as a traditional dropback QB and have him succeed - I do believe his height and size will be his downfall there.  But if he goes to a team who is willing to innovate to take advantage of his strengths while understanding his shortcomings (pun intended), he could be a very tough QB to defend.  Hell, look how much the statue that was Peyton Manning played out of shotgun.  Use Murray in a shotgun system and teach him to learn how to use throwing lanes like Wilson and Mayfield have and this guy could be a nasty weapon.  He’s going to have to learn to run his progressions longer and keep his eyes downfield better. But no doubt this kid could be a very tough QB to defend.  

To say he simply can’t succeed because of his size is foolhardy, IMO.  The game has changed and a guy like Murray absolutely could be a profound weapon.  There’s just a ton of talent there.  But he’s going to need an O that fits his strengths while hiding his weaknesses, and he’s going to have to surrender yards to protect himself when he runs - but that’s no different than any QB who can run.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bri said:

This QB draft is weak, with Haskins as the only QB drafted in the first round in most mocks, usually to the Giants. This definitely has some impact on Murray's value. 

Murray doesn't have the same over the top attitude as Baker, but he's as determined and he could definitely breathe some life into a perennial losing franchise. If Baker is done in 3 years due to injury, I'm still saying he woke up the Browns and got them headed in the right direction. I think Murray could do the same.  That's worth a bunch. If they last 10-15 years, it'll be a great pick but it's a fine pick for the Browns already.

Good point on the relative lack of QBs driving up his draft stock. Of course that's been true other years where guys were drafted too high because of that. Some of those guys were nice and tall too.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, pantherclub said:

do you think a 5'10 190lb qb can sustain the beating from a nfl defense?

In 2019? Sure. You are not allowed to beat up the QB anymore. In 1986 (Flutie's 1st year) No, he would be destroyed. If he took off running he would be carried out on a stretcher.

Edited by lod001

2 hours ago, ZenoRazon said:

Saw a mock draft today, up to 10 anyway.

Murray a Raider.

Hmmm?

Assuming you saw this one from yesterday.

Lance Zierlein 2019 NFL mock draft 1.0: Kyler Murray to Raiders

PICK 4

Kyler Murray - QB

School: Oklahoma | Year: Junior (RS) 
This is not just some click-bait pick. Murray doesn't have prototypical size. Yeah, I get it. However, when you look at his ability to make winning plays, Murray stands out way above the rest of this year's QB class. He can be weaved into the offense in 2019 and take over for Derek Carr in a year.

The Raiders have made poor personnel decisions and they are the pivot point of the draft as the top-three players should come off the board before they select.

I could see them trading down to a QB needy team.  >>>>  Pre Super Bowl Mock 2019 with trade

An anonymous scout told Bob McGinn of Bob McGinn Football that he believes that Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray is better than Cleveland Browns QB Baker Mayfield.

As you likely know, Murray was the backup to Mayfield in 2017 while Mayfield won the Heisman Trophy; and a year later, Murray won the Heisman. Where he's going in the draft, however, is widely up for debate, but one scout is pretty sold. "He’s a better player than Mayfield," the scout said. "Is he a better pro prospect? Mayfield (6-0 ½, 215, 4.84) was taller. I think Murray has a stronger arm. He’s Doug Flutie with all the better skills." Obviously, that's high praise, but because of the size concerns -- and some worries potentially about his baseball contract -- it's doubtful at this point that he's a serious contender for the first pick. A lot can change in three months.

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Jan 30 - 5:55 PM

If he hasn’t decided yet I would have to say he’s already shown his hand. If I was the A’s I’d call his bluff and tell him to report to Spring Training. If I was an NFL GM I would pour my efforts into the other QB’s until he showed up at the combine.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

I wonder if it comes down to whether the A's will pay him like a first round QB while he develops in the minors....?  

No way. He's definitely playing football. He batted .300 in college and the pitching quality is only going to get tougher in the minors/majors. I think if he stayed in baseball, he would bat .230-.250. As for football, I think he could be just as good as Baker Mayfield.

Edited by Unwrittenlaw

The 1 Prospect Each NFL Team Needs to Grab in the 2019 Draft

Excerpt:

New England Patriots: QB Kyler Murray, Oklahoma

Tom Brady can't play for forever, and the New England Patriots don't have a succession plan.

More often than not, the ultra-successful Patriots aren't in a position to select a top quarterback prospect. They could be depending on how organizations view the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, Kyler Murray. 

Many will look at his size (5'10", 195 pounds) and assume he can't win from the pocket. That's a mistake. According to Pro Football Focus Murray ranked first in passer rating (143.9) and overall grade (94.7) and second in touchdowns (36) and big-time throws (26) when kept clean. In fact, Murray surpassed Baker Mayfield's previous efficiency record with a 199.2 quarterback rating

Once his ability to extend plays, while adding a significant running threat (1,001 rushing yards), is factored into the equation, a team should be able to see how he fits the modern game—which is now catered toward certain collegiate concepts and mobile quarterbacks. 

Brady's contract expires after the 2019 campaign. A better coaching staff can't be found to maximize Murray's natural gifts.

He is grossly underprepared for the draft process if he thinks he’s going to be playing football: https://twitter.com/pff_mike/status/1091402840088760326?s=21

This is not baseball where there is no media and the evaluation is internal. You are scrutinized every step of the way and he’s already at a disadvantage with the half-wits that run three quarters of the organizations in the NFL. He should just go play baseball. It’s clear this is a ploy for more money out of the A’s, IMO. If he didn’t know which sport he wanted to play at the deadline he should have stayed in college and played another year at OU. I don’t know is not an answer that will sit well with the NFL.

Kyler Murray - QB -  Sooners

On the 'Stick to Football' podcast, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller passed along that the comparison for Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray he has heard most often from NFL teams is Seahawks QB Russell Wilson.

Miller opens the latest episode of the podcast relaying that multiple NFL teams are "excited" about Murray in the range of a top-15 pick and notes that that group of interested parties includes some teams which already have a starting quarterback (he tosses out the Bengals and Raiders as two general examples of squads that could fit this phylum). As for the Wilson comp itself, Miller is game. He doesn't view Murray's arm as up to Wilson's snuff in terms of pure strength, but likes the comparison in terms of "that type of athleticism, the arm talent and then the ability to make plays from the pocket as a shorter guy." The OU Heisman winner has yet to make a final decision as to whether he will play baseball or football, but said that he will be announcing his choice "very soon" while speaking with NFL Network's Andrew Siciliano on Thursday.

Source: Matt Miller on Twitter 

Feb 1 - 2:39 PM

8 hours ago, Unwrittenlaw said:

No way. He's definitely playing football. He batted .300 in college and the pitching quality is only going to get tougher in the minors/majors. I think if he stayed in baseball, he would bat .230-.250. As for football, I think he could be just as good as Baker Mayfield.

It seems like that is the logical choice if he's a top 15 pick, but I don't think it's quite that simple.  There would be a lot of tradeoffs to weigh. 

If he can get the A's to pay him like a football player while he develops in the minors that would be pretty attractive.  The A's are a very budget conscious franchise so there is probably no way this happens.... 

5 hours ago, Bojang0301 said:

He is grossly underprepared for the draft process if he thinks he’s going to be playing football: https://twitter.com/pff_mike/status/1091402840088760326?s=21

This is not baseball where there is no media and the evaluation is internal. You are scrutinized every step of the way and he’s already at a disadvantage with the half-wits that run three quarters of the organizations in the NFL. He should just go play baseball. It’s clear this is a ploy for more money out of the A’s, IMO. If he didn’t know which sport he wanted to play at the deadline he should have stayed in college and played another year at OU. I don’t know is not an answer that will sit well with the NFL.

He's already admitted he's made his decision he just hasn't announced it yet.

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller says the buzz from NFL scouts "surrounding [Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray] is unlike anything I've heard in a long time."

Murray is "the player that NFL scouts continue to be the most excited about" and as a result, Miller mocks him inside the top-10 to the Jacksonville Jaguars at No. 7. Miller continues to compare Murray to Russell Wilson and argues that the Jaguars can't afford to pass up the next Russ. Who can? Some will be scared of Murray's height, but it just takes one team to make the splash move and apparently, there are more than a few teams on board. Of course, none of his can happen until Murray goes all in on football over his MLB career.

Source: Bleacher Report

Feb 4 - 6:27 PM

On 1/31/2019 at 2:12 PM, Bojang0301 said:

If he hasn’t decided yet I would have to say he’s already shown his hand. If I was the A’s I’d call his bluff and tell him to report to Spring Training. If I was an NFL GM I would pour my efforts into the other QB’s until he showed up at the combine.

That he's not out there showing people he really wants to play football is enough at this point imo to drop him a bit.   If you're not clearly loving the game, you have a clear backup plan with good options, and you're not showing everyone that you live and breathe the game, i might still draft you if you convince me you'll come to play hard, but it sure wouldn't be with a top 16 pick. 

Chargers or Patriots at the end of the first make sense still.

• Like 1

Thinking about this more.... Football is easily the best business decision for him.  It's not even close. 

He has already made it through the football minor leagues, and as a likely high first round pick is set to make about 25 million over the next four years. 

If he goes baseball, he has to go through the minor leagues for probably 2 to 4 years to even make the majors.  Even the most elite prospects have something around a 60 percent failure rate of even making the majors beyond a cup of coffee. Once he makes it to the majors, it's another 3.5 years of low 6 figure pay until he's arbitration eligible. If he wants to make up that football money in his 3 arbitration years, he will need to be a star player.  If he's not a star MLB player, he will make quite a bit more as an NFL backup QB than a veteran replacement level baseball player.  As a first round draft pick QB, he will also have endorsement opportunities that won't be available for a minor league baseball player. 

The only way baseball makes financial sense is if the A's pay him big time, and they aren't going to do that.  I doubt the Yankees would even do that.  He's a good prospect, but not that good. 

He's also an athletic Center Field prospect.  As a baseball fan, these types seem like the most likely prospects to fail.  They are often super high ceiling but high risk players.  The list of elite athletic CF prospect busts is extremely long. 

The only thing going for baseball is the injury risk, especially long term injury, is much less.  Especially for a tiny guy like Murray, that could be a consideration. 

The Athletic's Dane Brugler believes that "there only will be a few teams that consider" Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray.

That doesn't mean that Murray can't be a top-15 pick or higher, but it does mean that he's casting a smaller net. One team of potential interest -- and also where Brugler mocked Murray to in his recent mock draft -- is the Miami Dolphins, who are almost certainly moving on from current starting QB Ryan Tannehill. However, it's uncertain if Murray would be of interest by the Dolphins since reports suggest that Miami is essentially tanking for the 2020 or 2021 draft to find their quarterback. Other potential landing spots are with Oakland (No. 4, 24, or 27), Jacksonville (No. 7 or No. 38), and Washington (No. 15), but it's far too soon to tell.

Source: The Athletic 

Feb 6 - 8:18 PM

I'd really like to see Murray get a chance to play with a good "feel" receiver that has a great sense of which way to drift and lean (top-end recent examples being Fitzgerald and Hopkins; to a lesser extent, Diggs and Keenan Allen). One thing that really struck me is his ability to throw guys to the proper spot, such as sticking a slant on the high back shoulder against a crossing safety, leading a stop route to daylight or dropping a fade on the back hip to let a receiver fall down with the ball in his arms.

Edited by TakiToki
  • Like 1

Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray is on the list of prospects who have been invited to the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

The reigning Heisman Trophy winner, who signed a lucrative contract with the Oakland Athletics last spring, has been one of the most-discussed prospects on the pre-draft circuit. While Murray (5'10/195) has entered the 2019 NFL Draft, a final decision has yet to be made regarding which sport he'll play professionally. It should be noted that whether or not he will actually attend has yet to be determined. How high his draft prospects are heading into the event may have an impact on how Murray and his representation approach the Combine.

Source: NFL.com 

Feb 7 - 2:22 PM

Bleacher Report‏ @BleacherReport 52m52 minutes ago

Breaking:

Heisman winner Kyler Murray announces he is ‘fully committing’ to football instead of playing in MLB with A’s

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/02/11/oklahoma-qb-kyler-murray-officially-chooses-football-baseball-raised-play-qb-oakland-athletics

Edited by squistion
  • Like 1

Will this be eerily similar to Baker last year? Generally a late first, second rounder....jumps to mid draft weeks before, but then when the draft is near, he's suddenly the favorite to go #1?

I think Kyler to the G-Men would be a perfect match but the organization has a history of drafting prototypical sized quarterbacks.

------------------------------------------------------

Giants think Kyler Murray too small

-----------------------------------------------------

Michael Lombardi‏Verified account @mlombardiNFL

The Giants have used the same grading system since George Young took over and in that system, they would have a hard time giving Murray a high grade. the system is designed to prevent the team from being small--its all about size and speed.

1:24 PM - 11 Feb 2019

----------------------------------------------------

Maybe the irony of a 5'9 QB of a team named Giants is too much.

• Like 1

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport polled 10 NFL GMs or top-end personnel executives and almost all said Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray will be a first-rounder.

Rapoport continued to report that some argued that he is at least a middle of Round 1 prospect and that GMs warn not to overestimate height, saying its "a single variable among multiple variables." In Hayden Winks' NFL Draft Analytics for QBs column posted at Rotoworld, he provided historical evidence that indicates that height -- or the lack thereof -- has not been correlated to NFL success in any capacity. Rapoport closes the video saying that Murray is the most intriguing prospect in a long time. At this point, Murray looks to be heading towards a first-round selection and the No. 1 overall pick can't be ruled out yet.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Feb 11 - 7:29 PM

NFL GMs and scouts think Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray will be drafted in the late first round.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said that Murray (5'9/180) has improved his draft stock, mentioning that NFL GMs and scouts believed Murray was going in the second or third round back in December. If Murray has an impressive day at NFL Combine and can ace interviews with teams, it's possible that Murray goes much higher than what is being reported now. However, it's going to take a team that's willing to take a chance on an unprecedented quarterback, something the New York Giants have said they are unlikely to do.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Feb 11 - 5:14 PM

Edited by Faust

11 hours ago, Faust said:

Hayden Winks' NFL Draft Analytics for QBs column posted at Rotoworld, he provided historical evidence that indicates that height -- or the lack thereof -- has not been correlated to NFL success in any capacity.

Kyler is going to be a solid NFL QB.  Best fit is the Giants if they decide the NFL has changed over the past 40 years and they should change their draft system to accommodate and not bypass talent that fits into the current league zeitgeist. 

Greg Cosell scouting report Kyler Murray

here's my evaluation based on an 8 game study. Murray is a fascinating prospect, one of my most fun to study.

-----------------------

Barrett Sallee‏Verified account @BarrettSallee

Odds on Kyler Murray's draft position from @betonline_ag: Over/Under Pick 9.5

---------------------

VIDEO LINK

Dan Orlovsky‏Verified account @danorlovsky7

Some QB news broke yesterday for the #NFL plenty to come in the future for @TheKylerMurray breakdown wise-but just a little from this morning on @GetUpESPN @OU_Football @uoklasports @GabeIkard @DustyDvoracek @TheJaguarsWire @AZCardinals @NYG_Nation10

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:00 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

Kyler is going to be a solid NFL QB.  Best fit is the Giants if they decide the NFL has changed over the past 40 years and they should change their draft system to accommodate and not bypass talent that fits into the current league zeitgeist. 

Haskin has the size while also fitting into the current league zeitgeist - I think they would rather target him. Of course they may not get to choose if they stand pat at 6 though. 

On 2/11/2019 at 6:02 PM, Bracie Smathers said:

I think Kyler to the G-Men would be a perfect match but the organization has a history of drafting prototypical sized quarterbacks.

------------------------------------------------------

Giants think Kyler Murray too small

-----------------------------------------------------

Michael Lombardi‏Verified account @mlombardiNFL

The Giants have used the same grading system since George Young took over and in that system, they would have a hard time giving Murray a high grade. the system is designed to prevent the team from being small--its all about size and speed.

1:24 PM - 11 Feb 2019

----------------------------------------------------

Maybe the irony of a 5'9 QB of a team named Giants is too much.

Tiki Barber, David Meggett, many small WRs

That's either not true or too vague

The system developed plenty with Accorsi and Reese and I'm sure the GMs that followed. BP wanted size first, toughness second, and speed was nice to have. He took over Johnson's fast Dallas team and the first thing he did was get rid of certain players that were essentially just fast. 

Most of the Giants guys discuss Simms panning out and Dave Brown busting. Chris Simms not having the same tough determined mindset his dad had, that was a common topic too. Lombardi is just way off or too vague.

Greg Cosell was just talking about the Giants and Murray and ....people should search for that interview. Cosell is so thorough and so aware of history and...that'll give you a better idea than this. 

1 hour ago, Bri said:

Tiki Barber, David Meggett, many small WRs

Not  first round picks and not QBs.

Saying they took small RBs later in the draft doesn't mean they don't have a system to evaluate players.  

Anyone could throw out 6'4 and 265 lb RB Brandon Jacobs and do a mike toss and walk off stage but he wasn't a QB and he wasn't a high first round pick.  

The Giants have a system to evaluate players and they use it.

Giants are unlikely to draft QB Kyler Murray Team source: Murray is "probably a little too small"

...size matters to the Giants. They are still early in their evaluation process and obviously haven't seen Murray at the Combine or his Pro Day yet, but in general, a team source said he's "probably a little too small" for them. They prefer to stick to the established measurables they have for a prototypical quarterback.

Eli Manning is 6-foot-4. His predecessor, Kerry Collins, was 6-foot-5. Even the long list of quarterbacks before him - like Danny Kanell (6-foot-3), Kent Graham (6-foot-6) and Dave Brown (6-foot-5) - were taller than 6-foot-2. Phil Simms was even 6-foot-3.

In fact, the Giants haven't had a starting quarterback under six feet tall since the 5-foot-11 Gary Woodtook over for Earl Morrall and went 0-6 during the 1966 season.

Obviously that was a long time ago, but the philosophy hasn't changed all that much. Remember a year ago when the Giants drafted quarterback Kyle Lauletta in the fourth round, head coach Pat Shurmur described the 6-foot-3 Richmond product as "tall enough" - which sure sounded like he wasn't willing to draft someone much shorter. In fact, last April, when talking about quarterbacks during a Giants minicamp, Shurmur admitted, "I fancy guys that are tall."

"You're trying to find sightlines," he said. "It's no different for a quarterback when he is behind a very tall offensive line. All else being equal, as long as all the skill sets are equal or maybe even a little better than equal, guys that can see have a chance to be very good."

Of course, the "skill sets" part of that answer does open the door a bit to an uber-talented, shorter quarterback like Murray. Then again, GM Dave Gettleman has often professed his preference for a quarterback who is strong in the pocket - and Murray, in part due to his height, is much better at throwing and making plays on the move.

The point is, a Murray-Giants marriage is unlikely

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. said Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray doesn't have a comparable NFL player.

Kiper says the NBA's Muggsy Bogues is a better comparison for Murray (5'9/190) than Russell Wilson, but Todd McShay throws out another name -- Michael Vick, who went first overall and had an up-and-down career displaying adequate passing ability while remaining a rushing threat. However, Vick wasn't nearly as good in college which shows the upside Murray possesses if his height doesn't limit him too much. Both Kiper and McShay believe Murray is a much better passer than 2018 first-rounder Lamar Jackson.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Feb 15, 2019, 6:02 PM

Runs a sub 4.4 forty (Tyreek hill speed) and threw 89% of his passes from the pocket.One Coach’s Argument For Why The Small QB Will Have a Massive Impact in the NFL

... Dispel what you think you know about Murray—unless, of course, you’ve scouted him thoroughly or saw every game Oklahoma played last season. Because a sub-5-10 quarterback who runs the 40-yard dash in less than 4.4 seconds, ran the ball 140 times last fall and has quickness in Tyreek Hill’s league would naturally be a scrambling, throw-on-the-run type of player, right?

“What percentage of the time,” I asked Oklahoma coach and Murray mentor Lincoln Riley the other day, “would you guess Kyler threw from the pocket this year?”

Riley thought for a few seconds.

“Eighty-five percent?” Riley said. “Ninety, maybe.”

Think of how amazing that is—a short quarterback who runs like a greyhound, and Riley called a similar percentage of designed passes from the pocket as many NFL teams with classic dropback passers would. Think of how the game has changed from a decade ago, when a fleet and smallish quarterback would basically be an option quarterback playing the game on the edges. Not Riley. Not with Murray. His runs? Mostly designed runs to takes advantage of a player with Vick-type tools.

Riley’s guess on Murray’s pocket throwing is pretty damn close to reality. Pro Football Focus charted the number of Murray’s pass plays in 2018 that came from the pocket. The number: 89 percent

... Riley. He had Michael Vick on his hands and coached him like he was Carson Wentz. Riley got Murray ready for the next level

...When the Chargers totally shut down Baltimore’s Jackson in the playoffs, they did it by trying to match his quickness—stunning the Ravens by playing seven defensive backs on 58 of 59 Baltimore snaps—and creating traffic everywhere he looked.

... if defenses want to keep him in the pocket, good. He’s shown he can win from there, with a 69-percent accuracy rate in 2018 and a stunning 11.6-yards-per-attempt average. (Eight yards is good. Nine would lead the NFL most years. The closest top quarterback prospect this season to Murray’s 11.6 yards-per-attempt: Dwayne Haskins of Ohio State, at 9.1.)

“His speed, obviously, is off the charts,” Riley said. “He’ll be the fastest quarterback in the NFL by a longshot the day he walks in the door. But on top of that, I think the things as a runner and athletically he brings, and his elite quickness, will be important. And then he just has a feel. He knows how to play the game. He knows when the moments are big and he needs to strain to get a first down. He’s not going to take unnecessary hits. He’s kind of got the body to withstand a few, but I almost compare him—I know this is high praise—but I mean, it’s almost kind of like a Barry Sanders effect. Yes I’m small for the position but I’m so athletic and so smart that I just rarely take big shots. Kyler took a lot less hits even than Baker did. A lot less. He was never really beat up after a game. The guy can stay healthy and he’s pretty smart. He’s got just a really, really unique skill set of having home-run speed but also home-run quickness to go with that.

“Now, would you be crazy to draft a guy like this and not use his athleticism? In my opinion, yes. But I think this guy can go and be in the pocket 75 percent of the time and be an extremely successful NFL quarterback. This guy can win from the pocket and that’s what makes him unique.

“And he just gets the game, man. He just understands the right time of when he needs to check down. He understands game situations. He’s played so much football in his life.

...As one NFL scout told me last week, “The Pro Day won’t be that significant to the teams interested in him. The private workouts, and private meetings with Murray on the board and talking football … those are the things that will really matter.

Baker Mayfield tore up the board in his private meetings with Dorsey.

How Murray performs on the chalkboard will determine how high he will go in the draft IMHO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

This guy can win from the pocket

From last year, before the draft.  

Peyton Manning helped shape John Elway's view of quarterbacks

Apr 20, 2018

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- John Elway is now in his eighth season as the Denver Broncos' general manager, and he is still trying to settle things down at quarterback in the post-Peyton Manning era. He said he continues to learn and continues to adjust how he evaluates quarterback prospects in the draft.

...And when asked if, ultimately, the decision to take any of the quarterbacks in the draft comes down to whether Elway likes one enough, he said simply: “Yeah, it’s my job.

Elway said. “I was a lot more [drawn to strong-armed quarterbacks] six or seven years ago, but then we had Peyton, right? Peyton was more of the cerebral type. I’ve learned a lot since I’ve been doing this job as far as what certain quarterbacks have success with."

As Elway went through the free-agency process and prepared for this year’s draft, he said he has the same standard for any and all quarterbacks -- regardless of whether they run more or less with the ball or work out of spread offense or more under center.

“The bottom line is I still believe the one thing you’ve got to be able to [do is] win it from the pocket," Elway said. “No matter what you do, the one thing that I’ve learned is, as a quarterback: You’ve got to be able to win it from the pocket. You can win games, but you can’t win championships unless you have the ability to win it from the pocket. But then if you can get out and move around and create and those type of things, that’s an added bonus."

Murray has a strong arm, can move with speed to get around the corner, he doesn't operate from under center but he has proven that he can win from the pocket

Matt Miller‏Verified account @nfldraftscout

BetOnline sets the over/under for Kyler Murray's 40 time at 4.37

10:28 AM - 22 Feb 2019

-------------------------------------

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

One NFL team's National Scout to @bradbiggs on #Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray: "You look at the tape & it's better than Baker Mayfield's tape. He is a more accurate passer & he's probably got a little more zip on the ball, a little more arm strength."

-------------------------------------

I seriously underestimated Baker Mayfield's arm last year so after seeing him in action on deep passes and zipping it into tight windows I think he's got more gas than Kyler Murray but his arm is more than capable, also Kyler's stats show he was more accurate in college so he is incredibly accurate.

Per the forty time?  Anything under 4.4 for an NFL QB would make him faster than any starter.  The amazing thing is the line starts under 4.4 so I think he will come in with a sub 4.4 forty.