What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyler Murray, ARZ (1 Viewer)

This has been a popular sentiment in years past but is it really still true? The backup QB landscape from team to team is horrendous, but there have never been more above average-elite QBs in the league at one time. You have Foles out there in FA with realistically only one suitor (the Jags) - other teams are either set at QB for the near future, fine with the bridge option they have, or have a rookie who needs a few more years so they can see what they really have. Tyrod, Tannehill, Teddy are popular guys who people say could go somewhere to start, but it's hard to see anywhere where that would actually be possible. Brought in to compete, yes, but they won't be handed starter jobs. 

There may be a market for Rosen since he's only a second year guy and he had some hype - there will be teams that like his potential.  But really there are only a handful of teams, if that, where he would be brought into start right away. 
As a Rosen owner, I'd love to see him end up in NE to learn from Tom Brady before taking the reins.

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller writes that "I didn't run into one agent, scout, coach or general manager who thought anyone but Kyler Murray would be the top overall pick" during the combine week in Indianapolis.

Accordingly, Miller places Murray atop his first post-combine mock draft, sliding him to the Arizona Cardinals with the first pick while noting that the 5-foot-10, 207-pound Heisman winner is "the perfect fit for what [HC Kliff] Kingsbury wants to do offensively." Over the weekend, Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline was reporting that Kingsbury had been telling people that Murray-to-Arizona was a "done deal." If this is actually to come to fruition, Josh Rosen will be heading out of town at some point over the next month-and-a-half. Miller counts the Packers, Giants and Redskins as potential landing spots for Rosen. Stay tuned.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Mar 5, 2019, 11:49 AM

You think Rosen won't make the biggest stink in the history of the NFL if the Cardinals draft another QB the year after they took him in the 1st?  Lol.  Ok. 
I don't think he has the drive to really care. He's gifted, that is without question. It's his passion for the game that I believe is lacking. It's an embarrassment for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Media's Charlie Casserly writes that the comments he received on Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray were the worst he's received from a top-rated quarterback.

These are brutal, scathing comments. "He better hope [Kliff] Kingsbury takes him No. 1 because this was not good," Casserly said. "These were the worst comments I ever got on a high-rated quarterback, and I've been doing this a long time. Casserly goes on to rail on Murray's (5'10/207) leadership, study habits and board work. He also notes that guys like Baker Mayfield and Patrick Mahomes -- who both ran a version of the Air Raid offense in college -- will be compared to Murray, but Casserly mentions that those players had much better leadership ability and work habits that were present in their interviews. These comments seem harsh, to us, but we'll have to see if other teams have similar thoughts. We may never know if Murray does, in fact, go first.

SOURCE: NFL Media on Twitter

Mar 5, 2019, 2:38 PM

NFL Media's Charlie Casserly writes that the comments he received on Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray were the worst he's received from a top-rated quarterback.

These are brutal, scathing comments. "He better hope [Kliff] Kingsbury takes him No. 1 because this was not good," Casserly said. "These were the worst comments I ever got on a high-rated quarterback, and I've been doing this a long time. Casserly goes on to rail on Murray's (5'10/207) leadership, study habits and board work. He also notes that guys like Baker Mayfield and Patrick Mahomes -- who both ran a version of the Air Raid offense in college -- will be compared to Murray, but Casserly mentions that those players had much better leadership ability and work habits that were present in their interviews. These comments seem harsh, to us, but we'll have to see if other teams have similar thoughts. We may never know if Murray does, in fact, go first.

What did Bill Belichick say about Charlie Casserly? That nobody has been more wrong more times? 

It was something like that. Hardly flattering.  

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport hears that Kyler Murray did impress the Arizona Cardinals during his interview with them at the NFL Scouting Combine.

And at the end of the day, that's probably all that's going to matter. Murray (5'10/207) received horrific reviews on his interviews from several analysts -- based, of course, on word-of-mouth from sources -- with Charlie Casserly saying that the comments received were the worst he's heard about a top-ranked quarterback. All it takes is one team to love Murray, and it just so happens that it appears to be the team with the first pick that does. The question, of course, comes if the Cardinals do pass on him.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 5, 2019, 5:43 PM

Kyler’s taller than I thought he would be (irony), but my goodness was his Dan Patrick interview cringeworthy. Definitely not a leader of men.

He could also be behind the curve mentally, as other QBs have been focusing on quarterbacking all their lives and not multi sporting. I smell bust. 

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah projects the Arizona Cardinals to select Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray with the first pick in his first 2019 NFL Mock Draft after the Scouting Combine.

It's one of the first mocks we've seen Murray go first in, and it won't be the last, that's for sure. WIth Murray (5'10/207) going first, Nick Bosa of Ohio State goes second to the 49ers, and Quinnen Williams of Alabama goes third to the Jets. As Jeremiah notes, the Cardinals seem to be set on giving Kliff Kingsbury the tools to have his offense succeed, and one of those key tools is a quarterback like Murray. It's going to get very interesting, folks.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 5, 2019, 2:16 PM

NFL.com's Kimberly Jones reports "nearly every talent evaluator" she spoke to at the Combine expects Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray to go No. 1 overall to the Cardinals.

Jones essentially could not find anyone at the Combine to dispute the notion. The report comes the same day that Jones' NFL Network colleague Charley Casserly claimed Murray bombed the Combine, supposedly making a poor impression as a studier and leader while greatly disappointing in his "board work." Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury does not seem too worried about Casserly's assessment.

RELATED: 

Arizona Cardinals

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 5, 2019, 3:27 PM

Faust said:

----------------------------------

The lead up to the NFL Draft is also well known as ‘lying season’ where misinformation is rampantly passed on from anonymous sources.
These 'anonymous' sourced comments had been out there but no one had reported them because... well apparently no one would go on record and no one could confirm the 'comments' that Casserly spoke of.  

PFT of all places are ripping Casserly a new one over the comments saying he never vetted his sources and are all over his case.

I heard these comments a few days ago on talk radio where the commentators noted that it sounded like a team who was picking later put out the rumors hoping that they would catch on and that Murray would fall to them.  I waited to see if someone would come forward with more information but nadda until Casserly and he is getting crushed by lots of people because they found nothing and he hasn't done the homework.

Edgar said:
Kyler’s taller than I thought he would be (irony), but my goodness was his Dan Patrick interview cringeworthy. Definitely not a leader of men.

He could also be behind the curve mentally, as other QBs have been focusing on quarterbacking all their lives and not multi sporting. I smell bust. 

I watched that interview carefully twice.  He looked to me like a kid who was fully aware of his situation and had gotten advice from more experienced people to take great care in not getting trapped into divulging infirmation.  After the second review, it looked to me like he was showing great discipline and restraint to not say something that might get pounced on when it looked like he would have preferred to answer.  He was a kid and fully realized that silence was preferrable to the alternative of being lead into a trap by an experienced interviewer.

It was painful to watch, but it seemed to me he was making a tremendous effort not to get cornered into a defining statement, which Patrick was clearly trying to lead him into.

I asked this in the poll thread, but where would people be comfortable taking him? 

I'd like to wait until 2020 to grab a qb but I may be in a position at pick 14 to grab him (will be my 5th and final pick of the draft)

ESPN's Todd McShay mocks Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray to the Arizona Cardinals with the first overall pick in his latest 2019 NFL Mock Draft.

The momentum is building. McShay has Ohio State EDGE Nick Bosa going second overall to the 49ers, with Alabama DT Quinnen Williams and Kentucky EDGE Josh Allen to the Raiders rounding out the top four. McShay notes that they can't deny the rumblings of the 2018 Heisman Trophy winner going first overall, which are more like a gigantic growl at this point. "I'm not all-in on Arizona taking him just yet, though -- the Cards could be trying generate trade interest among the QB-needy teams," he writes. Still, if the draft were held on Wednesday -- and it's not -- it sure seems likely that Murray would be the top selection.

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 6, 2019, 8:07 AM

These 'anonymous' sourced comments had been out there but no one had reported them because... well apparently no one would go on record and no one could confirm the 'comments' that Casserly spoke of.  

PFT of all places are ripping Casserly a new one over the comments saying he never vetted his sources and are all over his case.

I heard these comments a few days ago on talk radio where the commentators noted that it sounded like a team who was picking later put out the rumors hoping that they would catch on and that Murray would fall to them.  I waited to see if someone would come forward with more information but nadda until Casserly and he is getting crushed by lots of people because they found nothing and he hasn't done the homework.
Classic Florio up on his high horse in his section literally called The Rumor Mill. No secret he’s trying to become an agent. 

I asked this in the poll thread, but where would people be comfortable taking him? 

I'd like to wait until 2020 to grab a qb but I may be in a position at pick 14 to grab him (will be my 5th and final pick of the draft)
I'd be thrilled to get him at 14. I'd be a little surprised if he fell out the top-10, just based on how poor this RB class seems.

I'd be thrilled to get him at 14. I'd be a little surprised if he fell out the top-10, just based on how poor this RB class seems.
Pretty rare (in my 1 QB leagues) for any QB to go top 10 in rookie drafts.  I think there will be 3-4 RB's that still end up in situations which warrant a selection over a QB (top 3 round picks for any of BAL, PHI, TB, KC, NYJ, IND, OAK for sure) there will likely be anywhere from 6-10 WR's that go before Murray, and the two Iowa TE's in the conversation as well, and possibly even Irv Smith if he ends up somewhere like NE, GB, or NO.  I think 10 is the range where he'll start entering owner's minds, but I doubt he's selected that high in many leagues.  There's just sooooo many solid QB's right now.

I took Mayfield at 1.09 last year with absolutely no regrets.  I was very confident in what he brought to the table, needed another QB, and didn’t want to risk trading down to the end of the round and risk someone else trading up to grab him.

How confident are you in Murray?  If you are very confident in his ability, if he succeeds then he would be precluding you from using upper round picks on a QB for the next 12-15 years, allowing you to load at skill spots that whole time.  That ripple effect across an extended period makes the risk well worth it IMO - if you are that confident that he will be a strong NFL QB.

I think if he goes top 10 some very good talent falls to 14. Mayfield went pick 17 last year in my league for reference. I'm not sure I'd burn a first round pick on a qb... no matter how bad the draft class. I'd rather take one of these TEs end of round 1

I think if he goes top 10 some very good talent falls to 14. Mayfield went pick 17 last year in my league for reference. I'm not sure I'd burn a first round pick on a qb... no matter how bad the draft class. I'd rather take one of these TEs end of round 1
I think Murray is a better fantasy prospect than Mayfield. Studies have shown rushing carries over from college to the pros for QB's. Lamar Jackson was a QB1 down the stretch last season, despite very little of his numbers coming from passing. Murray could easily top Jackson's passing, while not being that far behind as a runner. 

I'm very confident Murray goes in round 1. Especially if he ends up in Arizona, with Kingsbury's offensive history.

Sources tell Clarence Hill Jr. that Jon Gruden is "all over" Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray.

We're not even kind of surprised. Murray (5'10/207) got mixed reviews on his draft interviews in Indianapolis at the combine, but even if those reports are true, there are at least two teams that really came away impressed with Murray, including the Arizona Cardinals. Hill Jr. also mentions that Washington has interest in Murray as well, which could mean a battle of the Grudens. It probably won't, however, as it appears that Murray is going to be the first pick in the 2019 draft come April.

SOURCE: Clarence Hill Jr. on Twitter

Mar 6, 2019, 10:47 AM

Is there a scenario here where Gruden and Mayock give up two or possibly all three of their first round picks to Arizona so that they can select Kyler Murray?

If they pick Murray what would Carr fetch in draft picks in return?

Awesome - this time of the year is absolutely the best for the rumors that emerge from the woodwork:

On his radio show, Dan Patrick reports that a scout told him that he believes Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray's height was inflated.

The scout says that if Murray doesn't measure at his pro day at Oklahoma, that will be telling. The next thing we're probably going to hear is that Kyler Murray was actually two small children stacked together in a trench coat. Even if Murray's height is inflated from the 5-foot-10, 207-pounds he measured at the combine, his athleticism and arm talent are good enough to make up for him at whatever the real number is. Good grief.

SOURCE: Dov Kleiman on Twitter

Mar 6, 2019, 12:34 PM

Is there a scenario here where Gruden and Mayock give up two or possibly all three of their first round picks to Arizona so that they can select Kyler Murray?

This is exactly what OAK would do. Carr might get you a 3rd day pick considering reports that Rosen might be worth a 2nd or 3rd. 

I kind of hope this happens. It would be an exclamation point on the clown show Gruden is running over there. Ran out  a very good GM, next is running the franchise into the ground.

Edgar said:

His Patrick interview is why I am shocked anyone doubts Casserly.

Cringeworthy is an understatement.

Casserly reports he was told Kyler interviewed poorly, and we’ve all seen Kyler interview poorly! Maybe it Kyler’s camp’s his plan all along to be silent on air, but now the entire world races to defend him as the best prospect ever. 

If I recall correctly, last year Baker was arrogant, Darnold a pick machine, Allen just a big arm and Rosen not mentally a franchise QB. 

Why is this mumbling, awkward shrimp who skipped 90% of the combine immune to criticism?

This is the time of year where you can't believe anything teams say. 

If teams are leaking out that Murray interviewed so badly they would never risk the first rounder, most likely that translates to the team wants to draft Murray and are trying to poison the well for other teams who are also potentially interested. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Geez.  If that happens Gruden might not survive till the end of 2020.

I saw him In his Dan Patrick interview, talked about how bad that went, now we are hearing more about the kids inability to "get it".  Now add his size, the fact so much of his game relies on his running and maybe the Cards are blowing it. 

How does one inflate their height for a barefoot measurement?  I think I know some NBA prospects who would pay a lot of money to find out how this is done.  Bonus points for inflating wingspan... 

Weight is easily manipulated.... Height, not so much as far as I know. 

kittenmittens said:
How does one inflate their height for a barefoot measurement?  I think I know some NBA prospects who would pay a lot of money to find out how this is done.  Bonus points for inflating wingspan... 

Weight is easily manipulated.... Height, not so much as far as I know. 
Maybe he got both feet stung by a bee so that they would swell up. Would also explain why he didn't run :tinfoil hat:

Maybe he got both feet stung by a bee so that they would swell up. Would also explain why he didn't run :tinfoil hat:
That wasn't enough, so he got stretched out on the rack immediately before the measurement. 

He also read that you are 1 cm taller in the morning so he has been in bed since the Dan Patrick interview. 

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports it is the "worst kept secret in the history of the world" that the Cardinals will take Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray with the No. 1 overall pick.

Per La Canfora, "people close" to Murray are "thoroughly convinced" he will end up in the desert. It has certainly felt that way, with the Cardinals barely even bothering to deny their interest. New coach Kliff Kingsbury is on video saying Murray should be the No. 1 overall pick. He has the same agent as Murray. It is still early in the process, but this has the feel of a freight train.

RELATED: 

Arizona Cardinals

SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Mar 7, 2019, 12:39 PM

In our brave new world?  He just decided he felt that he was 5’-10” and anyone who said otherwise would be excoriated as a heightist.

All this buzz about Murray but no reports of them shopping Rosen has me a little skeptical still. Could this all be a smokescreen so that some one trades up?

Users who are viewing this thread