What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leonard Fournette threatens heckler, then plays the race card (VIDEO) (1 Viewer)

One

Not Allowed In Mexico
Jacksonville Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette must love suspensions. His game this past week against the Tennessee Titans was his first week back after being a member of a brawl the week before and may find himself in the crosshairs of the league again. Footage has surfaced of Fournette threatening a fan this past Thursday.

Fournette probably wasn’t having a good day. His individual stats were not stellar and his teammates were getting ran off the field on the way to a 30-9 loss. So when a fan threw some insults at his way he didn’t respond too kindly.

“You’re too old for that. Chill out. I’m not worried about you. You want to come down here? I’ll whoop your ###,” are the words allegedly said from Fournette.

For his sake, and those that may need him for the Fantasy Football playoffs, hopefully, the league offices don’t make much of this video.

https://www.tmz.com/2018/12/10/leonard-fournette-threatens-fan-heckler-video/
9:42 AM PT -- Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone says he's spoken with Fournette, who claims the heckler had been shouting "racial slurs" at him and that's why he reacted the way he did. 

When asked if there were any witnesses to back up Fournette's claim, Marrone said, "I trust the player."

Last edited by a moderator:
Fans have gone overboard with their personal insults.  I see it at baseball games too.  Just rooting for your team isn't enough for many I guess.  Have to make it personal.

That said, guy needs to develop a thicker skin and be smart as well.  Guess he didn't think anyone would record that..............

Fans have gone overboard with their personal insults.  I see it at baseball games too.  Just rooting for your team isn't enough for many I guess.  Have to make it personal.

That said, guy needs to develop a thicker skin and be smart as well.  Guess he didn't think anyone would record that..............
So you believe Fournette? I don’t. I’m a 44 year old man and have never heard racial slurs used in public but apparently now it’s an epidemic. Seems like easy justification for Leonard but I’m not buying it. 

So you believe Fournette? I don’t. I’m a 44 year old man and have never heard racial slurs used in public but apparently now it’s an epidemic. Seems like easy justification for Leonard but I’m not buying it. 
I won't say I don't believe him 100% since I wasn't there, but I agree the "racial slur" card gets thrown out there way too much as defense for wrong actions.  You are correct that very seldom is someone heard screaming them at a public venue.  And if they are, which I have witnessed, most folks sitting in the vicinity won't tolerate it.  

Like @efactor said, I do see moron fans screaming really inappropriate things to players or throwing things at them(live in Philly area) to the point where they have really crossed a line.  I don't have a problem with a player threatening someone if they cross that line.  I would react the same way and I'm pretty even keeled.  

Even if he overreacted by getting into it with the fan, I don't think this will warrant a suspension.  Probably a warning.

I don't necessarily "believe" Fornette and I have never heard racial slurs at a game either (Northern California fan).  Of course, it doesn't mean that it didn't happen and the fan probably said something personal to make him go off.  Doubt he got upset by "Jaguars suck".

I was referring to what I have heard, which is references to past drug use (Josh Hamilton in particular at a Giants game), failed relationships etc.  No need for a fan to be hurling personal insults at a player.

Patrick Beverley was just ejected for throwing the basketball at fan who reportedly said "f your mother" to him.  Fans need to be accountable for their actions and words, but it's not going to make news until the professional athlete says or does something back.

The guy is a dummy, but his response was pretty mild. He needs to be smart enough not to respond--not defending him. Just saying this isn't bad at all and would probably go entirely unnoticed if he hadn't just been suspended for fighting. But those types of guys are exactly the types not worthy of the benefit of the doubt, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a suspension of some sort. It at least seems fine-worthy, more akin to mouthing off about the refs after the game than getting into an actual physical altercation. 

I've heard it at football and baseball games in different cities.  Fans usually feel like they are in a safe zone in the stands. I was at a Jets game in NJ one time when this idiot in the stands was yelling out all kinds of racial slurs. The security at the stadium chose to do nothing despite the complaints and all kinds of families in the stands. So disgusting. 

It's easy to see why a player would react to it, but nothing good ever comes out of it. They have too much to lose. 

Whether it happened to Fournette, who knows, but I certainly believe that it can happen.  There are too many cases of it happening in many sports (football, baseball, hockey, soccer, etc.). 

I was going to defend for Fornette until I read the racial slur thing. Add me to the list of people he doesn’t believe him.  If you start yelling the N-word in the middle of an NFL stadiums you’re going to get your face kicked in by people of all different colors. 

With that said this is pretty tame it doesn’t warrant a suspension. Seems like piling on 

I've long said the only people dumber than owners, gms, coaches and players are local media and their rabid but clueless fanbase. 

I was going to defend for Fornette until I read the racial slur thing. Add me to the list of people he doesn’t believe him.  If you start yelling the N-word in the middle of an NFL stadiums you’re going to get your face kicked in by people of all different colors. 

With that said this is pretty tame it doesn’t warrant a suspension. Seems like piling on 
Sounds like other Jags players are corroborating this now.

Sounds like other Jags players are corroborating this now.
As I would expect them to. Maybe in Tennessee you an get away with that but I still have a hard time believing it.

Im not saying it isn’t true, I guess I’m hoping it isn’t true and if it were, that somebody would have stood up and called him out on it. 

Fans definitely yell racist things. It's an issue in soccer leagues in Europe too. Zero reason to believe America doesn't have the same problem. I'm not sure if it happened in this particular instance, but some of you are being a bit too optimistic and naive. 

Fans definitely yell racist things. It's an issue in soccer leagues in Europe too. Zero reason to believe America doesn't have the same problem. I'm not sure if it happened in this particular instance, but some of you are being a bit too optimistic and naive. 
Does happen a lot more in Europe, especially because most of the players are white.  I'm sure it happens in the NFL, but would be surprised if someone actually just straight up shouted something racist to him at the top of their lungs in a full section of fans.  Especially someone who is paying a lot of money to sit and cheer for and support a team that is 70% minorities.

Does happen a lot more in Europe, especially because most of the players are white.  I'm sure it happens in the NFL, but would be surprised if someone actually just straight up shouted something racist to him at the top of their lungs in a full section of fans.  Especially someone who is paying a lot of money to sit and cheer for and support a team that is 70% minorities.
The levels of stupidity people display should never surprise you. 

I find it hard to believe fans of any race are “yelling” racial slurs, unless of course it’s a segregated stadium and they are on “their “ side. Cause otherwise it’s not just the player that may have issues with you. So, I don’t believe it at all, unless there’s a video you can actually hear the fan saying it. 

I have no idea what really happened.  I suppose I wouldnt' be THAT surprised if Fournette felt like he was backed into a corner and made up the part about the racial slurs to give himself an excuse (not that he should be that worried about what he said, it was very mild).  However I would be surprised if other players on the Jags were intentionally lying about it to corroborate the story.  Not to mention one of the guys corroborating it (Yeldon) is the guy who would most benefit from Fournette being disciplined.

From @Patriot_Jones

@MikeOrganWriter @Jaguars @Titans @Tennessean This is 100% a lie.  I was next to the fan in Sec 112 row A.  I heard everything he said.  He heckled him about LSU and the score.  This is a lie created by LF to try to avoid league punishment. Mike, you can message me if you want to report the truth.

@JohnReid64 This is 100% a lie.  I was right next to the guy.  He literally made the following statements “this ain’t LSU” and a sarcastic “welcome to Nashville”.  Fournette came over and asked “how old are you” and fan said “I’m 30-9, that’s how old I am”

@tnsports @MikeOrganWriter This is 100% not true.  I literally was right next to the guy.  He nor anyone else used a racial slur.

Racist things get shouted/chanted at games quite a bit. The N-word itself is harder to get away with in public, but (at least in the snippets posted; I don’t care about either side of this incident enough to click links) nobody specifically claimed that’s what was said.

I don’t think what he said was a big deal, but also don’t think he deserves the benefit of the doubt coming off a suspension for running across the field to fight someone, so I’m fairly indifferent to what comes of this. But assuming a racial slur couldn’t have been uttered because someone in the stands is going to immediately throw hands over it underestimates bystander syndrome and also ignores the possibility that the fan in question was big enough to dissuade intervention (I’m sure plenty of internet tough guys will disagree, but my willingness to fight someone over words has a strong inverse correlation with whether they look like they could beat me up)

Maybe where you guys live but here in Landover or Baltimore, you’re not yelling the N-word inside of either city limits without catching a rightfully deserved beat down or worse. 

Ya I actually believe that guy's tweets who heard the whole thing and said it was an LSU jab.  You don't yell the N word to a player when pretty much the whole team is black.  I would love to hear what LF claims the guy actually said.  Not that it even matters, but just curious how he'd respond to that or what he'd claim was said. 

I have learned some valuable things about the opinions of many here.

Racism doesnt exist at football games in the most racist country in the world, the US of A.
People wont say racist things at football games because those racists care what others think about their racism.
Also, Europe has racism at soccer games way worse than the racism at the US of A football games. Source?

Basically some of the posts above said...
I dont believe the black football player, because you know, the white guy disagrees and the fellow LSU hating white guy is a witness.
Racists wont yell racist things because they are scared of the people they will yell racist things against. Thats an argument?
Perhaps tell the many fans in Boston, Baltimore and so on who have been documented yelling such racist things at ball games.

You are picking a side in this story based of one thing...any guesses what that one thing is?

Racism doesnt exist at football games in the most racist country in the world, the US of A.
People wont say racist things at football games because those racists care what others think about their racism.
Also, Europe has racism at soccer games way worse than the racism at the US of A football games. Source?

I dont believe the black football player, because you know, the white guy disagrees and the fellow LSU hating white guy is a witness.
Racists wont yell racist things because they are scared of the people they will yell racist things against. Thats an argument?
Perhaps tell the many fans in Boston, Baltimore and so on who have been documented yelling such racist things at ball games.

You are picking a side in this story based of one thing...any guesses what that one thing is?
I can only go on what is most likely to have occurred.  I was surprised people were saying that it wouldn't have happened because the people in the stands would police that.  However, this helped corroborate what most likely happened:

From @Patriot_Jones

@MikeOrganWriter @Jaguars @Titans @Tennessean This is 100% a lie.  I was next to the fan in Sec 112 row A.  I heard everything he said.  He heckled him about LSU and the score.  This is a lie created by LF to try to avoid league punishment. Mike, you can message me if you want to report the truth.

@JohnReid64 This is 100% a lie.  I was right next to the guy.  He literally made the following statements “this ain’t LSU” and a sarcastic “welcome to Nashville”.  Fournette came over and asked “how old are you” and fan said “I’m 30-9, that’s how old I am”

@tnsports @MikeOrganWriter This is 100% not true.  I literally was right next to the guy.  He nor anyone else used a racial slur.

LF was upset that he and the team were not playing well.  Someone in the fans made those LSU comments and got LF with a zinger when LF responded.  Then LF asked him to come down because everyone knows LF would apply a nice beat down on most fans in that stadium.  

While this is what most likely transpired IMO I also don't think its that bad on LF's part (not suspendible).  Fans get the mob mentality going and think they are invincible.  The problem is that LF is getting paid millions and he should be smarter about yelling to a guy that if he did come down and LF walloped, he would be facing suspension.  There was no possible positive outcome for LF once he started yelling at this fan.

why do people get so triggered when someone makes a claim like this?

aggressively pretending you know what happened just because you dont think someone else would say something bad in public is... well... lame. (i've also been to jets games and i agree with the posters here that say: the stands there are a hostile place and a lot of nasty #### gets said, racial or otherwise, and it usually draws a mix of laughter and hatred in response. seriously. large groups of grown men still laugh at stuff like this. i'll never go back.)

fournette might be lying. but if you want the problem to get better, then i'd suggest you don't go scorched earth pretending you were there. you're not solving anything and all you're doing is making it more comfortable for scum to operate. you're basically being tucker carlson and you shouldn't be tucker carlson.

tackle for loss said:

The most racist country in the world? You mean the least? Nowhere else in human history will you find such a mix of people existing this harmoniously. 

And why are you picking the side that you are?

strong said:

aggressively pretending you know what happened just because you dont think someone else would say something bad in public is... well... lame. (i've also been to jets games and i agree with the posters here that say: the stands there are a hostile place and a lot of nasty #### gets said, racial or otherwise, and it usually draws a mix of laughter and hatred in response. seriously. large groups of grown men still laugh at stuff like this. i'll never go back.)

fournette might be lying. but if you want the problem to get better, then i'd suggest you don't go scorched earth pretending you were there. you're not solving anything and all you're doing is making it more comfortable for scum to operate. you're basically being tucker carlson and you shouldn't be tucker carlson.
False claims of racism support a counter productive narrative (one that makes it possible for people to call the US the most racist county in the world with a straight face). 

It’s not that we’re triggered, we’re just sick of sick of it. Perhaps Lenny is telling the truth, but the evidence doesn’t lead me to believe that. The more likely scenario, in my opinion, is that he’s taking the easy way out. We as a society have given the word way too much power, partially out of collective guilt. (It’s really kind of condeescending—“Of course they can’t control themselves when they hear that word!”) So when Kareem Hunt and Joe Mixon and Leonard Fournette are in a bind, they know the backlash will be lessened if they claim the other party used the word.

We’re sick of a false narrative. We’re sick of people losing their jobs for saying a magic word, regardless of context. We’re sick of people pretending that cops are gunning people down in the streets left and right for the color of their skin, when the numbers don’t support that. We’re sick of identity politics. 

smbkrypt24 said:
I can only go on what is most likely to have occurred.  I was surprised people were saying that it wouldn't have happened because the people in the stands would police that.  However, this helped corroborate what most likely happened:

From @Patriot_Jones

@JohnReid64 This is 100% a lie.  I was right next to the guy.  He literally made the following statements “this ain’t LSU” and a sarcastic “welcome to Nashville”.  Fournette came over and asked “how old are you” and fan said “I’m 30-9, that’s how old I am

LF was upset that he and the team were not playing well.  Someone in the fans made those LSU comments and got LF with a zinger when LF responded.  Then LF asked him to come down because everyone knows LF would apply a nice beat down on most fans in that stadium.  

While this is what most likely transpired IMO I also don't think its that bad on LF's part (not suspendible).  Fans get the mob mentality going and think they are invincible.  The problem is that LF is getting paid millions and he should be smarter about yelling to a guy that if he did come down and LF walloped, he would be facing suspension.  There was no possible positive outcome for LF once he started yelling at this fan.
I laughed.

tackle for loss said:

Say what?  USA is most racist country in the world? Says who?  The media?  I have lived my whole life surrounded by people of all race and have not experienced the racism that you and the media tell me is rampant. I currently live in Chicago and ride the bus/train daily surrounded by a colorful backdrop of all types of people and have never heard racial slurs or seen racism displayed.  I've been to countless professional sporting events, college and high school events and concerts.  Never heard anyone yell or imply anything racially insensitive.  That is my experience. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist but I don't think it's as widespread as we're made to believe at this current time.

strong said:

I don’t know. Why are you too lazy to use capitalization and use horrendously stupid words like “triggered”?

Say what?  USA is most racist country in the world? Says who?  The media?  I have lived my whole life surrounded by people of all race and have not experienced the racism that you and the media tell me is rampant. I currently live in Chicago and ride the bus/train daily surrounded by a colorful backdrop of all types of people and have never heard racial slurs or seen racism displayed.  I've been to countless professional sporting events, college and high school events and concerts.  Never heard anyone yell or imply anything racially insensitive.  That is my experience. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist but I don't think it's as widespread as we're made to believe at this current time.
I would say that racism does exist quite a bit, and that 99% of it isn't straight up verbally directed at someone.  Just because you don't hear things said, doesn't mean it isn't an issue.  You also live in Chicago, not other parts of the country.

I do find it hard to believe that Fournette was a victim of it in this case though.  There are witnesses who heard the whole exchange and state that nothing racist was said. 

I agree. But lying about the guy using the N-word should be. 
How do you know he’s lying?  I thought I’d read that some of his teammates backed him up?  So, it’s the word of the fan & some other guys who claim they heard the conversation vs the word of Fournette & some other guys who claim they heard the conversation?  And, I don’t believe the racial slur was specified; maybe it wasn’t the N-word, maybe it was another racial slur.

Good luck to the NFL investigating that.
They'd be silly to. I didn't mean to suggest there will or should be any trouble from the league. If that's what you meant, I misunderstood you. 

How do you know he’s lying?  I thought I’d read that some of his teammates backed him up?  So, it’s the word of the fan & some other guys who claim they heard the conversation vs the word of Fournette & some other guys who claim they heard the conversation?  And, I don’t believe the racial slur was specified; maybe it wasn’t the N-word, maybe it was another racial slur.
I don't know that he's lying. It's the word of multiple fans - and I haven't heard anything from other players. Not sure that would change my opinion, that I'd trust his teammates over other fans. There are other people around Fournette the entire time, yet he's the only one reacting. I don't think that would be the case if the fan was using racial slurs. 

They'd be silly to. I didn't mean to suggest there will or should be any trouble from the league. If that's what you meant, I misunderstood you. 

I don't know that he's lying. It's the word multiple fans - and I haven't heard anything from other players. Not sure that would change my opinion, that I'd trust his teammates over other fans. There are other people around Fournette the entire time, yet he's the only one reacting. I don't think that would be the case if the fan was using racial slurs. 
Why would you trust him, the fan, the teammates, OR other fans?  Do you know any of them?  You don’t think a fan who happens to be seated next to a guy might have some relationship with him, this giving him up incentive to lie for his friend?    I’m not saying that happened, but to assume this guy you’ve never met is telling the truth, while this other guy you’ve never met is not seems curious to me.

I don’t think people would use racial slurs in this day & age, yet they do.  What you and I think is reasonable and logical doesn’t always apply to what happens in this world.  Some people might be able to ignore the idiocy of “fans” who yell this kind of stuff.  Some people might have issues ignoring it.  Seeing as how Fournette recently got himself suspended for losing his temper, I don’t find it surprising that he gets angry at a remark that some of this teammates were mature enough to ignore.

Why would you trust him, the fan, the teammates, OR other fans?  Do you know any of them?  You don’t think a fan who happens to be seated next to a guy might have some relationship with him, this giving him up incentive to lie for his friend?    I’m not saying that happened, but to assume this guy you’ve never met is telling the truth, while this other guy you’ve never met is not seems curious to me.

I don’t think people would use racial slurs in this day & age, yet they do.  What you and I think is reasonable and logical doesn’t always apply to what happens in this world.  Some people might be able to ignore the idiocy of “fans” who yell this kind of stuff.  Some people might have issues ignoring it.  Seeing as how Fournette recently got himself suspended for losing his temper, I don’t find it surprising that he gets angry at a remark that some of this teammates were mature enough to ignore.
A few reasons:

It wasn't one fan supporting the guy's claim; it was at least 3. And if they are all lying to cover up for their buddy, where are the other fans coming out to support Fournette's story? Where was security? Why didn't his teammates or the team officials trying to talk sense to Lenny simply have the guy kicked out? Why doesn't Fournette reference the slurs in his banter with the fan?--it doesn't sound like he's responding to racial slurs.  

A few reasons:

It wasn't one fan supporting the guy's claim; it was at least 3. And if they are all lying to cover up for their buddy, where are the other fans coming out to support Fournette's story? Where was security? Why didn't his teammates or the team officials trying to talk sense to Lenny simply have the guy kicked out? Why doesn't Fournette reference the slurs in his banter with the fan?--it doesn't sound like he's responding to racial slurs.  
There may or may not be 3 fans in the area who are saying there were no racial slurs.  There are 3 random twitter accounts that tweeted they were sitting there who all claim they were sitting "literally right next to the guy" (maybe one day someone will show me the math on how 3 people can sit literally right next to someone) and who all conveniently are on twitter and follow/tweet at the same reporter.

Fournette wouldn't expand on the racial slurs but his teammate who was sitting next to him (TJ Yeldon) went on a pretty good rant about it and other Jags who weren't in the area said that they hear them sometimes from fans throughout the season (which makes the theory that no one would possibly ever yell something racist in a football stadium seem kind of silly).

"Did I hear it? Yeah," Yeldon said. "All the running backs and people on the offensive side were hearing the exchange. They were heckling at us all game, at him and all of us all game.  All night. All night. All day they was calling us racial slurs, all game."

I have no idea if he's lying or not.  We have two actual Jags football players saying it happened and 3 completely unknown twitter accounts who may or may not have even been at the game much less the same section of the stadium saying it didn't.

ETA: I can't even find the tweets claiming it's a lie.  Did the guy delete them?  And it looks like above may have been one guy tweeting 3 times, not 3 separate people tweeting.

There may or may not be 3 fans in the area who are saying there were no racial slurs.  There are 3 random twitter accounts that tweeted they were sitting there who all claim they were sitting "literally right next to the guy" (maybe one day someone will show me the math on how 3 people can sit literally right next to someone) and who all conveniently tweet regularly and follow/tweet at the same reporter.

Fournette wouldn't expand on the racial slurs but his teammate who was sitting next to him (TJ Yeldon) went on a pretty good rant about it and other Jags who weren't in the are said that they hear them regularly from fans throughout the season (which makes the theory that no one would possibly ever yell something racist in a football stadium seem kind of silly).

"Did I hear it? Yeah," Yeldon said. "All the running backs and people on the offensive side were hearing the exchange. They were heckling at us all game, at him and all of us all game.  All night. All night. All day they was calling us racial slurs, all game."
I didn't know a lot of this - so thank you. This certainly gives me pause. 

I still find it hard to believe that a guy is screaming racial slurs loud enough for players, team personnel, and other fans to hear - and Leonard Fournette was the only person to do anything about it. Stadium security is regularly tossing fans for much less. If the Jags were truly being berated by this guy, they could have had him kicked out. 

I've been to--jeez--dozens and dozens of pro or high level college sporting events all over the country and have never heard racial slurs directed at a player. I'm not saying it doesn't happen--while rare, I know it does--it would just be utterly shocking to me if it did here and nothing was done about it. 

While I'm much less confident, having to throw out the "fan" accounts, if I had to guess, I'd say it didn't happen as Fournette and Yeldon claim. I just can't believe that you can yell racial slurs at players "all game" and nothing happens. 

Edit: I'll say this: If Yeldon's account is accurate, the league is failing its players. 

A few reasons:

Yeldon said that he, the RBs, & the O-line all heard the comments.  The rest were mature enough to ignore; Fournette wasn’t.

So, either Jax players are lying to protect a teammate, or racist fans are lying to protect a racist friend.  You are choosing to believe one group over the other, for no logical reason, other than it’s what you believe happened.

https://www.islandpacket.com/sports/article222923575.html

Users who are viewing this thread