What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Soup (Additions) - What you got? (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Local grocer had a huge stockpile of organic turkey wings and legs on sale ($3 for 2 legs), so, keeping in mind the frigid CDN weather, decided to stock up for soup purposes.

Made my nonna's classic broth recipe, whcih she usually turns into "Scrippelle" - perhaps the tasiest homemade soup dish on earth.

But, I don't have the time nor the desire to try and replicate her dish.

So, I ask you... aside from just some every noodles, what do you normally add to your broth for a solid winter meal?

I don't make soup much but I love eating it and want to learn more about making different kinds.

love to burn the crap out of aromatics - not cinders but a darn good char - in the oven before adding em to a low & slow broth boil

ETA: of course, you have to strain the broth afterward....

Last edited by a moderator:
love to burn the crap out of aromatics - not cinders but a darn good char - in the oven before adding em to a low & slow broth boil

ETA: of course, you have to strain the broth afterward....
learned first hand in vietnam that this is the secret to perfect pho (among 100 steps)

but u fire roast the #### out of those aromatics, and you'll turn a good soup into a great soup

Sinigang is a Filipino "soup" that is easy to make and delicious.

Usually made with pork neck bones, you can add most any vegetable to it. I make it with onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, and Napa cabbage.

The base, however, is a tamarind powder pack. It gives it a great sour taste and ties it all together.  You can pick them up at most ethnic grocery stores.

Sinigang is a Filipino "soup" that is easy to make and delicious.

Usually made with pork neck bones, you can add most any vegetable to it. I make it with onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, and Napa cabbage.

The base, however, is a tamarind powder pack. It gives it a great sour taste and ties it all together.  You can pick them up at most ethnic grocery stores.
I have tamarind paste from some thai recipes ive done, ill look into this

Buy a rotisserie chicken and pull all the meat off it and put it into the noodles/broth/etc. 

I have done one this for years and it is excellent. 

In my area, the chickens are about $5 so it is a cheap addition. 

Local grocer had a huge stockpile of organic turkey wings and legs on sale ($3 for 2 legs), so, keeping in mind the frigid CDN weather, decided to stock up for soup purposes.

Made my nonna's classic broth recipe, whcih she usually turns into "Scrippelle" - perhaps the tasiest homemade soup dish on earth.

But, I don't have the time nor the desire to try and replicate her dish.

So, I ask you... aside from just some every noodles, what do you normally add to your broth for a solid winter meal?
help on this Scripple thing - I looked it up and it was Italian crepes ...what's with the soup?  A recipe would be great.

help on this Scripple thing - I looked it up and it was Italian crepes ...what's with the soup?  A recipe would be great.
so, ya... make your basic stock (whichever you prefer)... usually a good hearty chicken stock is best.

then, my nonna makes the crepes, rolled up with parmesan and just a LIGHT dusting of cinnamon or nutmeg inside (i know, sounds odd)

to me... the most comforting soup on earth. also, a TON of work, because crepes... as easy as they sound... are a major PIA.

so, ya... make your basic stock (whichever you prefer)... usually a good hearty chicken stock is best.

then, my nonna makes the crepes, rolled up with parmesan and just a LIGHT dusting of cinnamon or nutmeg inside (i know, sounds odd)

to me... the most comforting soup on earth. also, a TON of work, because crepes... as easy as they sound... are a major PIA.
You want us to eat soup with pancakes?

I've really been getting into soup making the last few months.  After researching cookbooks online, I've found these are the most respected on the subject.  I only have 2 of these so far, but I'm working on getting at least 3-4 more of these books.  

Splendid Soups James Peterson

The Soup Book Louis P. De Gouy

The Complete Book of Soups and Stews Bernard Clayton, Jr

Broth and stock Jennifer McGruther

Mastering Stocks and Broths: A Comprehensive Rachael Mamane

Soups and One Pot Meals Christian Teubner

Moosewood Restaurant Daily Specials:  More than 275 recipes for Soups, Stews The Moosewood Collective

Vegetable Soups Deborah Madison

The Glorious Soups and Stews of Italy Domeinca Marchetti

All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking Molly Stevens

Love Soup Anna Thomas

Soup: A Way to Live Barbara Kafka

many soups can be enhanced by adding:

Chopped scallions, onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, or cilantro

Shredded cheese

Sour cream

Avocado chunks

fritos

tortilla strips

rice

Last edited by a moderator:
many soups can be enhanced by adding:

Chopped scallions, onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, or cilantro

Shredded cheese

Sour cream

Avocado chunks

fritos

tortilla strips

rice
pepitas, too

speaking of which, squash & ancho or even squash & chipotle/adobo (for those without access) makes a wonderful soup base to throw anything into. any kind of squash/pumpkin/whatever

I've really been getting into soup making the last few months.  After researching cookbooks online, I've found these are the most respected on the subject.  I only have 2 of these so far, but I'm working on getting at least 3-4 more of these books.  

Splendid Soups James Peterson

The Soup Book Louis P. De Gouy

The Complete Book of Soups and Stews Bernard Clayton, Jr

Broth and stock Jennifer McGruther

Mastering Stocks and Broths: A Comprehensive Rachael Mamane

Soups and One Pot Meals Christian Teubner

Moosewood Restaurant Daily Specials:  More than 275 recipes for Soups, Stews The Moosewood Collective

Vegetable Soups Deborah Madison

The Glorious Soups and Stews of Italy Domeinca Marchetti

All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking Molly Stevens

Love Soup Anna Thomas

Soup: A Way to Live Barbara Kafka
:blackdot:

For my french onion, i will throw in gruyere rinds while the soup is simmering.  Pull them out before serving.

as for other soups....so many options depending on the soup and profile (flavor and texture).

brewers yeast has a great, nutty flavor and full of vitamins.

an old hippie trick is to put it on popcorn with tamari to make a cheap meal.
Wife found a recipe for a nacho popcorn that used nutritional yeast (kinda same as brewers). This was delicious!

Nacho Popcorn
Active Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 5 Minutes
Makes: 10 Cups

10 cups popped popcorn (from 1/3 cup kernels or 1 3.29 oz bag)
Olive Oil cooking spray
3 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper

Lightly spray popcorn with spray. Toss with Nutritional Yeast, Kosher Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder and Cayenne Pepper in a large bowl until evenly coated.

Add more cayenne for spicier popcorn!

Users who are viewing this thread