What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Intranet setup and no outside WWW (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
I have to setup an intranet but it must be totally inside a facility with zero contact with the outside world.

I have WordPress installed and have struggled with plugins needing to use a script offsite causing an error. I thought that was the easy route but keep striking out.

I don't mind coding or installing scripts and have tons of experience.

I just can't connect to an outside API or script so...any recommendations? Addons? Scripts? Plugins? Different CMS? 

Simplest would be to share files and message.

Google servers are the only allowed connection since they host company email. I can use fonts from them but....Hangouts to message? Does it integrate to a site? I see it as a standalone and browser addon. 

Those all require outside connections with APIs and scripts though.
You could set up a Direct Connect to AWS or a VPN - and then connect. AWS is HIPPA/PCI and whole lot of of other certified compliance. So your "issue" may be moot if argued correctly.

So you can't connect to the outside to even download applications/frameworks to start - or it just can't use apis hosted on the web?

You could try joomla or maybe drupal. I've done plenty of IBM Portal Web Content - there are pretty cheap express versions. These are hosted onsite.

eta: not sure maybe they have some googleapis usage - not sure but nearly everyone does - might be a way to point to a hosted version of those

Last edited by a moderator:
I can get them and install but they can't connect repeatedly

It's a highly secure environment and the firewalls and meraki are audited

Google comes through  a whole darn server rack and they act like the world would blow up if something came in

I can get them and install but they can't connect repeatedly

It's a highly secure environment and the firewalls and meraki are audited

Google comes through  a whole darn server rack and they act like the world would blow up if something came in
I'm in process of setting up Meraki with a AWS connection for a customer using VPN/ipsec- moving their entire app stack to AWS and it's a HIPAA app(healthcare app) made up of NET and SQL - presenting architecture on Thursday - it's pretty easy setup to AWS.

I'll ask, thank you

May I ask another Q? 

I gotta link to directories(not files) on a server so \\ not http or file or ftp

WordPress changes these to be http

I can't find an answer for this googling, all I get is elementary links or SEO stuff

How do I make an internal link? (from a menu, if that matters)

When you say Google - what do you mean? Google Cloud? Or just using Google apps?
fonts, gmail, drive, sheets, and hangouts

The server room is two racks. One is like 12 machines high and typical, the other rack is 5 that google comes through. I haven't looked closely, I see fortinet, another meraki. I asked how they get virus updates and that is by a CD that comes in the mail so they're not even trusting the antivirus companies completely

People can only connect/visit a select group of government websites, 99.9% of the web is blocked. I gotta keep coming home and downloading stuff then going back to work on it.

Looking to update a couple computers in a doctor’s office.  It’s for hipaa compliance basically.  Apparently they’re supposed to operate on machines that are still supported by the manufacturer.  

It’s also because the computers we have are ancient (one’s running on windows 7, another on Vista).  They’re obsolete at this point and I doubt they could handle windows10 very well; it seems like a waste of an OS copy to buy one and install it on one of these computers.  

All we do on the computers is run a cloud-based emr software, and save medical images to a shared drive on our local network.  

It was her husband (now exhusband) that set up the network originally.  I’ve never set up a local network beyond connecting to a wifi signal, but I’m pretty confident I can make it work.  The doctor got a quote from a guy who does this professionally and it was ~$5,500 for 4 towers, 4 monitors, and network installation.  She just can’t afford it.  

I guess my real questions are: 

- where’s the best place to purchase a couple towers for cheap, basic use?  I’m literally just going to replace the desktops with new ones, download the client software and connect to the existing network.  

- what’s a good resource to make sure I’m setting them up on the network correctly, and inline with the same configuration as the old machines?  

- any other hipaa related stuff I should look at?  Firewalls, antivirus, security programs etc?  

Users who are viewing this thread