What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RTSports Leagues (1 Viewer)

Kwai Chang Caine

Footballguy
Hey guys I just have to vent and am curious if anyone else has ever had something like this happen. 

So, I enjoyed playing in MFL25s for several years but they folded up their managed leagues. A forum member recommended RTSports so I joined three leagues this year. Overall, I had a good experience although I think they overmange potential collusion issues a little too much (e.g. every player cut starting week 10 can’t be claimed). But anyway, the platform isn’t bad. 

To be fair, I didn’t do a deep dive on their playoff seedings. I only really look at scoring rules to determine my draft strategy. In any case, unlike MFL which was straight 12 teams and top 4 get in, RTSports does three divisions of 4 teams and the non-division winner with best total points gets the 4th seed. I’m not wild about that but understand the rational that sometimes a good team gets bad luck in H2H. 

Here though is where it goes off the rails. I finished 10-4 and tied with two other 10-4 teams for best record. The next best team was 7-7. One 10-4 team won white division, 7-7 team won red division and myself and another team tied 10-4 for blue division. 

The wild card team was awarded to a 6-8 team that was second in total points behind winner of white division. 

My team and another team in the blue division finished 10-4. We split H2H and I had more total points (I finished 3rd overall in total points as well as tied for best record). 

I DID NOT MAKE PLAYOFFS based on deciding inter division record. He was 5-1 and I was 4-2. I am flabbergasted!!!! 

How can they decide a wild card team by total points and then use a crazy, almost random rule like “inter division” record??

26 years of fantasy football and I’ve never, ever seen a 10-4 team not make playoffs. 

I sent them this email:

To whom it may concern,

I have played fantasy football for 26 years. In all my time I’ve never seen a team go 10-4 and not make the playoffs. This is my first year playing in RTSports after finding you when the managed leagues at MFL folded. To be fair I didn’t do a deep dive in your playoff rules but for the most part enjoyed my season here.

What I can’t understand is how you have come up with the rules for seeding. I understand the merit for awarding a wild card team to the team with best total points but bad luck in H2H. However it makes no rational sense to decide a division winner using different criteria. Instead of total points, you go by the random and ridiculous criteria of “division record.” Because of this, my superior team with more points does not get in. 

I’m extremely perplexed and stunned to have a 10-4 team not make the playoffs. I will never be a customer of this platform again under rules like this. 

It seems you guys really make a genuine effort to make the game fair, wether it’s by filling players in lineups automatically for people on bye or working hard to prevent any collusion. But your seeding rules have created the opposite effect and prevented one of the best teams in this league to not get in. 

Hopefully, you will take my grievances to heart for the future. 

Good day to you, 

Chris

Any thoughts on this guys? I feel it’s the worst bad beat of my career and believe me, I’ve had many of those...

I always do a few leagues there, because it is easy to find last minute leagues that are ready to go and needing only a few spots to fill a league the day of, but I agree that deciding the division winner based on division record is really stupid.  Total points should always be the first tiebreaker. 

My bigger beef with them is the way they do the waiver wire.  It is always based on points scored (least to most, in order), no matter what.  In other words, if you are 12th (most points scored) and everyone ahead of you makes a WW pickup  but you do not, you should be 1st the next time, right?  WRONG!  The order stays the same (least to most points scored). That is so dumb.  

Kwai Chang Caine: I feel your pain!  Last year I missed the playoffs with a 10-4 record (second place in the division to a 11-3 team) to a  6-6 team that scored slightly more points that I did. In other words, the wild card went to non-division winner with higher points. That sure stings. You wrote a good letter in response to the standard rules.  I agree with Ghost Rider about the waiver wire rule.  

Stay away from the "standard" RTS leagues. Rather, there is an option to call an "Audible" and personalize your own rules.  Once you create your own league you invite others to join or the public joins your league based on interest. This is a much better option I believe than the standard format.  Please keep me in mind if you begin your own league next year (whether RTS or other!) as I always enjoy joining open to the public leagues in addition to my best friends CBS leauge I have been playing in for a number of years. 

RTS doesn’t even abide by their documented rules. 

Waiver Wire Week 1, my team and another team tied for Phillip Lindsay, both of our teams are technically 0-0 based on the all play Week 1 format. We tied for our bid at $319, but the team that I tied with scored 10 more points than I did Week 1. According to their rules, I should have won the bid, but they awarded Lindsay to the other team. 

I tried to raise my grievances with the commissioner, but never even received any type of reply. 

I won two league championships this season but next season will mainly focus on FFPC, and NFFC. 

Kwai Chang Caine: I feel your pain!  Last year I missed the playoffs with a 10-4 record (second place in the division to a 11-3 team) to a  6-6 team that scored slightly more points that I did. In other words, the wild card went to non-division winner with higher points. That sure stings. You wrote a good letter in response to the standard rules.  I agree with Ghost Rider about the waiver wire rule.  

Stay away from the "standard" RTS leagues. Rather, there is an option to call an "Audible" and personalize your own rules.  Once you create your own league you invite others to join or the public joins your league based on interest. This is a much better option I believe than the standard format.  Please keep me in mind if you begin your own league next year (whether RTS or other!) as I always enjoy joining open to the public leagues in addition to my best friends CBS leauge I have been playing in for a number of years. 
This particular league actually was one of those. I really enjoyed it. 2 QBs and no kickers or defenses but they kept the standard RTSports rules in place. 

The rules are the rules are the rules.  One league that I commish uses division/conference record for certain tie-breakers.  The rules were put in place nearly 30 years ago when people cared more about divisions and trying to emulate the NFL setup.  There are some tough breaks but everyone knows the rules coming in.

RTS has those rules in place and there's nothing that they can do in response to your e-mail. They can't give you a playoff spot over the other team.  And they can't offer you any refund or compensation lest the floodgates open and everyone seeks to get paid.  It sucks that it happened to you.  But, at least in that setup, the correct result occurred.  

The rules are the rules are the rules.  One league that I commish uses division/conference record for certain tie-breakers.  The rules were put in place nearly 30 years ago when people cared more about divisions and trying to emulate the NFL setup.  There are some tough breaks but everyone knows the rules coming in.

RTS has those rules in place and there's nothing that they can do in response to your e-mail. They can't give you a playoff spot over the other team.  And they can't offer you any refund or compensation lest the floodgates open and everyone seeks to get paid.  It sucks that it happened to you.  But, at least in that setup, the correct result occurred.  
Yeah I don’t want anything from them. But that is an atrocious rule to have when total points is used for other criteria. My main point is they have lost a potential life time customer. 

Users who are viewing this thread