What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen A might be a bit off. (1 Viewer)

Stephen A Smith‏ @stephenasmith 53m53 minutes ago

My Brother, it’s called a MISTAKE because I was think of Virgil Green, but mentioned Hunter because I was multi-tasking. That’s what happens when you’re doing a thousand things. But I don’t blame you if you told me to “Stay Off The Weeeeeeedddddddd.!” That was a brain-lock moment

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1073253068861530112

This idiot is terrible. The only thing he talks about is basketball, that's it. It wouldn't matter if it was super bowl Sunday, he would talk about what happened in a pre season NBA game. That's why he knows nothing about football,  he could care less. But crappy espn keeps him on tv & radio for some unknown reason. 

My Brother, it’s called a MISTAKE because I was think of Virgil Green, but mentioned Hunter because I was multi-tasking. That’s what happens when you’re doing a thousand things. But I don’t blame you if you told me to “Stay Off The Weeeeeeedddddddd.!” That was a brain-lock moment

Yeah, I'm sure he meant Virgil Green. Clearly his 15 catches and 189 yards have been CRITICAL to the Chargers season.

Absolutely disgusts me that this guy gets paid millions of dollars to talk about sports.

Yeah, I'm sure he meant Virgil Green. Clearly his 15 catches and 189 yards have been CRITICAL to the Chargers season.

Absolutely disgusts me that this guy gets paid millions of dollars to talk about sports.
I was describing this video to my brother and that is the exact comment I made.  Nice clarification on thinking of V. Green and his huuuuuuge impact with the Chargers.

First of all, it wasn't just one mistake, it was four (in 30 seconds!) 

Second, LAC's social-media team wins the award for best response.

This idiot is terrible. The only thing he talks about is basketball, that's it. It wouldn't matter if it was super bowl Sunday, he would talk about what happened in a pre season NBA game. That's why he knows nothing about football,  he could care less. But crappy espn keeps him on tv & radio for some unknown reason. 
How much less could he care? Could he care a lot less or just a little less? At least he cares? Let me know when he couldn't care less. That's when we know there's a problem. 

But this is the same network that gave dan lebaturd his own show and employs Trey wingo, so it's understandable how this loser still has a job.
It’s amazing to me that ESPN can’t figure out what the reasons are for their declining ratings.  We have ESPN on in our sports med clinic all day (due to limited other options), and we literally have to change the channel every hour to avoid this blowhard and others.  Stephen A, Max Kellerman, Wingo, that chic on the NBA show, Josina “(insert any NFL star name) texted me last night and said....” Anderson,  just to name a few off the top of my head.

It’s amazing to me that ESPN can’t figure out what the reasons are for their declining ratings.  We have ESPN on in our sports med clinic all day (due to limited other options), and we literally have to change the channel every hour to avoid this blowhard and others.  Stephen A, Max Kellerman, Wingo, that chic on the NBA show, Josina “(insert any NFL star name) texted me last night and said....” Anderson,  just to name a few off the top of my head.
Agreed. And not just ESPN. These "blowhard" types seem to be the popular formula for some reason.

NFL highlights for example... are there better options than the miserable, yell-over each other, mush head trio of Shannon Sharpe, LT II, and Dieon Sanders on the weekly wrap-up on Sunday nights? It's embarrassing with their forced Ebonics and constantly playing devil's advocate... like 12 year olds on a playground.

yeah like many of said....the fact that he says he "meant" Virgil Green actually makes it even worse.....

He had to be reading notes someone gave him.  No way he could bomb on so many players unless that was the case.  Someone on his staff might have been playing a joke on him.

Oh BS. It's used wrong almost every time it is uttered. It's stupid. Saying you could care less doesn't say anything at all about how you feel about something. Take something you care about most of all in life. Guess what, you could care less about it. Because it's at the top of the heap for you. You could care a the whole heap less! Now, take something that means nothing to you. Literally nothing. Guess what you'd say about it? You'd say you couldn't care less about it. It's already at zero. Nowhere less to go. So irregardless of your link, it's a misused phrase. 

Oh BS. It's used wrong almost every time it is uttered. It's stupid. Saying you could care less doesn't say anything at all about how you feel about something. Take something you care about most of all in life. Guess what, you could care less about it. Because it's at the top of the heap for you. You could care a the whole heap less! Now, take something that means nothing to you. Literally nothing. Guess what you'd say about it? You'd say you couldn't care less about it. It's already at zero. Nowhere less to go. So irregardless of your link, it's a misused phrase. 
You mean "regardless". Live by the pedantry, die by the pedantry.  :P

For the record, I don't actually think either "could care less" or "irregardless" are wrong. The point of language is to be understood, not to slavishly follow rules. When you use either of those expressions, everyone knows exactly what you mean. There is zero confusion. Therefore, it cannot be wrong even if the internal logic of it doesn't make sense; as you'll see if you read that Slate article, there are plenty of other English idioms where that is also true (e.g., "head over heels").

He's always been absolutely painful to watch/listen to. I didn't think he could do it, but he raised that bar with this clip.

For the record, I don't actually think either "could care less" or "irregardless" are wrong. The point of language is to be understood, not to slavishly follow rules. When you use either of those expressions, everyone knows exactly what you mean. There is zero confusion. Therefore, it cannot be wrong even if the internal logic of it doesn't make sense; as you'll see if you read that Slate article, there are plenty of other English idioms where that is also true (e.g., "head over heels").
I'm down to not slavishly follow rules, but our words should make sense, so "could care less" will always irk me. But not as much as people using "literally" when they mean "figuratively."

😂 Irregardless was  :fishy:

He's always been absolutely painful to watch/listen to. I didn't think he could do it, but he raised that bar with this clip.

I'm down to not slavishly follow rules, but our words should make sense, so "could care less" will always irk me. But not as much as people using "literally" when they mean "figuratively."
:goodposting:

That was hard to watch. I felt bad for the guy. 
This one may haunt him for quite a while. So authoritative in tone, but so many bad mistakes... tough to rebound.

Credibility is like virginity... once lost, you can't get it it back.

I see what you did there...

Also not wrong. Fun fact: The original definition of "literal" was "word for word." Which means the most common usage of the word ("taking words in their usual or most basic sense without metaphor or allegory") is, itself, metaphorical. Also, if it's so important for idioms to make sense, does that mean you say "heels over head"?

I don't know any of you guys, so I'm not going to speculate as to your motives, but I've encountered more than a few people who claim to be irritated by "literal" and "could care less" but were really just pretending to be annoyed as an excuse to show everyone how "smart" they were (same for the people in the late '90s who kept saying, "You know, the new millennium really doesn't start until 2001." Yes, they were technically correct. No one cared.)

This one may haunt him for quite a while. So authoritative in tone, but so many bad mistakes... tough to rebound.

Credibility is like virginity... once lost, you can't get it it back.
True, but you can't get back what you never had.  In other words, SAS never had credibility when it comes to talking football. 

Also not wrong. Fun fact: The original definition of "literal" was "word for word." Which means the most common usage of the word ("taking words in their usual or most basic sense without metaphor or allegory") is, itself, metaphorical. Also, if it's so important for idioms to make sense, does that mean you say "heels over head"?

I don't know any of you guys, so I'm not going to speculate as to your motives, but I've encountered more than a few people who claim to be irritated by "literal" and "could care less" but were really just pretending to be annoyed as an excuse to show everyone how "smart" they were (same for the people in the late '90s who kept saying, "You know, the new millennium really doesn't start until 2001." Yes, they were technically correct. No one cared.)
It has nothing to do with showing how smart one is. It’s more about making sure everyone else knows how dumb they are.

I have never been a fan of SAS and I don't watch any of his shows (nor much of ESPN in general outside of live sports). But my understanding is that yakkers like Smith consistently produce their highest rated programmed content.

zftcg said:

This is exactly the type of thinking that seems to be dominate among younger folks. It will be interesting to see how they shape the world when it’s their turn with their “meh, who cares if it’s wrong?” attitude. 

Good luck with that. 

Also, IIRC the powers that be at ol’ Webster have literally changed the meaning of the word “literally” because now there’s literally more morons than ever. 

zftcg said:

I've heard that argument before. Just because people have abused a word into meaning the opposite of its meaning doesn't make it not wrong.

And no, it's not an attempt to appear smart because knowing the difference between literally and figuratively does not require much intelligence. However, I'm sure what you're saying is true in some instances. People will look for just about any reason to feel smarter than others. To me it's just an irritant similar to when people say "like" too frequently. So no ulterior motive behind me complaining about it. I'm simply using the internet to vent about something that annoys me. Isn't that what the internet is for?

Love it when the English majors come into threads and attempt to belittle people. Go make your own thread about how smart you are and stay out of the ones where you aren't going to actually talk about the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread