What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"They Shall Not Grow Old" - New WWI Docu by Peter Jackson (1 Viewer)

Wow, that trailer really hits home as my son is turning 16 next week.  To think of him going to war at this age is frankly terrifying.  It is hard to even imagine.

One of the first internationally-embraced Aussie films was Peter Weir's Gallipoli, about an Aussie regiment's participation in the Great War, so i'm sure that had great impact on Jackson.

Thanks for posting this.  There's a 3D showing just down the road on Monday I grabbed tickets to.  I'd probably see it in 2D but I imagine I'll end up owning that eventually so might as well see how the 3D is on the big screen.

Thanks for posting this.  There's a 3D showing just down the road on Monday I grabbed tickets to.  I'd probably see it in 2D but I imagine I'll end up owning that eventually so might as well see how the 3D is on the big screen.
Most of the Pittsburgh-area shows are in 3D. :giggity:

3D was worth it in my opinion.

There is a 30min clip after going over how they restored the film. Not just technical stuff, it is Peter Jackson commentary about the whole film.

Starts out with the original b&w film for quite awhile, before shifting into the restored. Restored made it feel so much more real, true to life than I usually feel from b&w.

A lot of dead in trenches, wounds, gangrene etc, not unexpected but just mentioning for parents.

Very glad I saw it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was very interested by...

the reactions to the veterans after the war by the public. Had no idea they were so neglected and treated with indifference. Wonder if it was like that in the US too or if that was a British thing mainly

I was very interested by...

the reactions to the veterans after the war by the public. Had no idea they were so neglected and treated with indifference. Wonder if it was like that in the US too or if that rascal British thing mainly
It wasn’t immediate indifference but it was definitely indifference. There’s a reason they were dubbed the Lost Generation and most people- even in the more immediate aftermath of the war don’t know much about it. The prevailing theme of American WW1 veterans was disillusionment. 

It wasn’t immediate indifference but it was definitely indifference. There’s a reason they were dubbed the Lost Generation and most people- even in the more immediate aftermath of the war don’t know much about it. The prevailing theme of American WW1 veterans was disillusionment. 
IIRC, there were riots by soldiers in the late 20s over benefits. 

That might be it. 
WW1 veterans were promised compensation for their service. The soldiers were all given bonds that could be cashed in in 1945. However, with the Great Depression, veterans wanted to be able to cash them in 1932. 30k veterans basically camped out around the White House in protest. The House voted in their favor but the Senate struck the bill down. Police and then later the US Army were called in to remove all the veterans. There was violence and 2 veterans were killed, hundreds wounded when police opened fire on them.  

ETA: I don't think I would characterize them as riots by veterans. More like a protest and much of the violence was from the police and Army. Maybe a clash is better. 

The only local theatre that will be showing this is showing it in 3D only and I refuse to watch anything in 3D.  :thumbdown:  

I'll be checking the streaming options. 

This is legal right?? I don't want to be "that guy"
Not a lawyer, but from what I understand, viewing streaming content isn't considered illegal by the Copyright Office because it only "manifests fleetingly" in a way that can't be easily reproduced, etc. 

The person streaming it could be doing so illegally.  I have no idea with this particular website.  Their front page says they index publicly available content, but your interpretation is as good as mine there.

It's never in focus. Not sure if it's my glasses, my astigmatism, or what but any 3D movie I've watched has been a disappointment.
Check with your eye doctor.  You may not have normal depth perception.  I cannot watch 3D because I just can't see in it.  I have monocular vision.

Going Thursday for the real 3D showing, I haven't seen anything in 3D in maybe a decade or so. I am hoping it is better than my last experience. 

Ok for an 11 yr old maybe?
Lots and lots and lots of corpses in varying degree of decomposition. 

Its an excellent documentary and that is literally it, but those images are quite brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread