What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Bull" actress Eliza Dushku received $9.5 million settlement for verbal sexual harassment/abuse.....thoughts? (1 Viewer)

for those that did not read the article, the settlement was not based on sexual harassment.  The case was based on the fact that Eliza complained about the mistreatment, and was written off the show.

The money amount was based on what she would have been paid as a cast member for 4 seasons.

for those that did not read the article, the settlement was not based on sexual harassment.  The case was based on the fact that Eliza complained about the mistreatment, and was written off the show.

The money amount was based on what she would have been paid as a cast member for 4 seasons.
Exactly what I said.

:brush:

This is a classic employment practices liability insurance claim. There legal fees were probably up the wazoo as well.

How could your compliance officer be so stupid as to think handing over outtakes showing her swearing was going to bolster their case? :loco:

It's well she got paid - working as a woman at CBS sounds like a disaster.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/behind-cbs’s-secret-dollar95-million-settlement-with-‘bull’-actress/ar-BBQVvrB

That's a lot of money....

Is the settlement large due to the potential of the show doing well and her possible loss of income from not being on the show?
Granted the rape stuff was bad, real bad but this I dont quite understand.

"During the toast, Mr. Weatherly said he needed a “really beautiful woman” to grab a ticket for a raffle. “Eliza,” he said in front of everyone, according to the interview notes, “we need you, the most beautiful woman, to come grab the raffle ticket.”

Ms. Dushku, in her final moments as part of the “Bull” sphere, played along, although she felt “embarrassed and humiliated.”

What am I missing here?

Yeah, knowing the full story, that she was promised a recurring role and then was hit with a retaliatory firing, the amount of money is not out of line.
I don't know...I think it comes down to her contract, right?

And aren't most acting roles essentially "at-will" type jobs?  No one is guaranteed anything.

But, in general, the penalties for firing someone for complaining about you doing something illegal tend to be pretty high. So it probably balances out.
CBS has been in the news multiple times for similar issues the past year as well, for sweeping this stuff under the rug and retaliating against victims. The fact that it seems to have been a pervasive culture no doubt figured into the punitive damages as well.

Man, I wish someone would verbally sexually harass me. :kicksrock:
What I think you mean to say is, "I hope a co-worker harrasses me and when I complain to management about it they fire me and I spend months or years in court trying to recover the money I lost from being fired". 

Last edited by a moderator:
Granted the rape stuff was bad, real bad but this I dont quite understand.

"During the toast, Mr. Weatherly said he needed a “really beautiful woman” to grab a ticket for a raffle. “Eliza,” he said in front of everyone, according to the interview notes, “we need you, the most beautiful woman, to come grab the raffle ticket.”

Ms. Dushku, in her final moments as part of the “Bull” sphere, played along, although she felt “embarrassed and humiliated.”

What am I missing here?

She was objectified and didn't like it.

In many of these cases I tend to think the woman is being too sensitive and possibly seeking some attention. In this case, with everything that was done in addition to what you posted I think Dushka was in the right and rightly awarded compensation.

In many of these cases I tend to think the woman is being too sensitive and possibly seeking some attention. In this case, with everything that was done in addition to what you posted I think Dushka was in the right and rightly awarded compensation.
OK I can see that.  Thanks

If it were an isolated incident, she probably could've let it slide. Given everything else, it was the last straw on a crap sundae.  If Wetherly had said, "Eliza, would you do a us a big favor and draw the winning ticket", that would've been fine.

Nothing to add except my wife once spent several hours with her in Vegas and she's reportedly a complete b***h. 

Eliza, not my wife.   :oldunsure:

Tom Servo said:
If it were an isolated incident, she probably could've let it slide. Given everything else, it was the last straw on a crap sundae.  If Wetherly had said, "Eliza, would you do a us a big favor and draw the winning ticket", that would've been fine.
I’ve never had a crap sundae, but why do you top it with straw?

Sweatpants said:
Just the normal hypocrisy from Hollywood. Will barely be mentioned in the media while they tell the rest of us the right way to believe. 
If you let Hollywood or the media "tell you the right way to believe" that's a problem caused by your lack of critical thinking skills.

Sweatpants said:
Just the normal hypocrisy from Hollywood. Will barely be mentioned in the media while they tell the rest of us the right way to believe. 
Sheesh. I saw the username first and I thought: I'm going to create an allias named" boner_man" just to follow this guy around and quote him with :goodposting:

But after reading that post I don't think this poster is capable of a :goodposting:

Sweatpants said:
Dude what?  Its all over the media. 

Sweatpants said:
BTW, the shkt you get your #### from IS "The Media". My dad was watching fox news and I heard the guy on there saying "what the media won't say...blah blah blah" and I started laughing so hard. DUDE! YOU ARE THE MEDIA! You're the highest rated "news" channel on TV! That is the definition of "the media" 😂 

Sweatpants said:
Look Sweatpants, I'm with you 100%. This story got killed to the point where it was only published in the *checks link again*, uh, New York Times.

Sweatpants said:
I have no idea what you are trying to convey with your post.

What are.your top 3 go to sources for "media" and do you think they influence the things you believe?

Users who are viewing this thread