What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Think You Would Ever Speak To Me This Way In Real Life? (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
I recently got a note from a moderator. It was, succinctly, hostile. It had about too few many abouts in it and just shuddered with bullying. 

Note for member:

"Seriously. Do you ever back away from the keyboard and think about how dumb about what you're about to write is?"  

That was literally what was said to me. Is this acceptable?

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently got a note from a moderator. It was, succinctly, hostile. It had about too few many abouts in it and just shuddered with bullying. 

Note for member:

"Seriously. Do you ever back away from the keyboard and think about how dumb about what you're about to write is?"  

In fairness, this can be said to everyone online these days

Note for member:

Moderator here?

Note for member:

No.  It is juvenile.  I have no idea what board you were on, but a moderator is supposed to represent the group, not just himself.  I would object to someone representing me in this way.

Also, grammar police say, "what"?

No.  It is juvenile.  I have no idea what board you were on, but a moderator is supposed to represent the group, not just himself.  I would object to someone representing me in this way.

Also, grammar police say, "what"?
I was on this board. Thanks, Mrs. Rannous, although I'm not sure what the grammar police are signaling out.

I know this is the internet where people act big and tough with dialogue they would never have the balls to use in real life (something all of us are probably guilty of at some point), but that kind of reprimand is petulant and condescending.  But that's some internet moderators for you. 

I know this is the internet where people act big and tough with dialogue they would never have the balls to use in real life (something all of us are probably guilty of at some point), but that kind of reprimand is petulant and condescending.  But that's internet moderators for you. 
It just seemed especially egregious and petty. Like somebody had a personal problem with me. I'm now bound to a mod's whim, is what I thought. I love this place. I think it's wrong to do that.    

Note for member:

Keyboard courage is pretty common.

Mod might need a vacation.

Note for member:

I got a 2 week timeout recently for a normal joke I would make between friends on here. Seriously next to nothing. This is a different place now.  I don't remember getting a timeout for the first 13 years I was on here. I don't recognize this forum anymore and my time is coming to an end here. 

It just seemed especially egregious and petty. Like somebody had a personal problem with me. I'm now bound to a mod's whim, is what I thought. I love this place. I think it's wrong to do that.    
It's not going to change. That's what this place is now. The old days are long gone. 

I think it's the extra "about" that bugs me most of all. If you're going to be an idiot, be a smart idiot.  
It is a FBG drinking game.  Every time you see “about” — take a shot.  The mod just thinks you need an extra drink to cool down.

ABOUT!

In and of itself--not a cool way to speak with a contributing member. I might not always agree or like everything you say on here--but you definitely contribute to these boards.  With that said--what was the full "context"?  Doesn't seem like a moderator would randomly send that to you.  What comment/post did you make to generate that less than polite reaction?

In and of itself--not a cool way to speak with a contributing member. I might not always agree or like everything you say on here--but you definitely contribute to these boards.  With that said--what was the full "context"?  Doesn't seem like a moderator would randomly send that to you.  What comment/post did you make to generate that less than polite reaction?
I honestly don't know. I could look it up, but I'm not sure I'm clear. I didn't say anything bad. It was about the Kaepernick thread and it wasn't racist. I assure you of that. Full stop.  

Note for member:

I'm pretty sure there's only one mod here that would be that condescending. 

I don't know what you said and maybe you stepped over the line (I'm certainly not gonna wade into the cesspool I'm guessing it came from), but that's a garbage way to frame a warning/timeout. 

This place is going to be lots less interesting if EG and rock action both move on.  EG has been pretty quiet the last few months anyway but even a little bit of the interesting posters is better than none at all. 

I had the leave the GOAT Shark Pool thread, that I basically singlehandedly built, due to getting banned for even simply responding to attacks from some internet heroes.

Haven't stepped foot in it since.

This forum will eventually fizzle away. It'll never lose it's huge numbers, but the action, esp in the SP will dwindle away to be like any other.

I had the leave the GOAT Shark Pool thread, that I basically singlehandedly built, due to getting banned for even simply responding to attacks from some internet heroes.

Haven't stepped foot in it since.

This forum will eventually fizzle away. It'll never lose it's huge numbers, but the action, esp in the SP will dwindle away to be like any other.
Looks like you got a warning for 

Bazinga lives in whatever year Dungeons and Dragons takes place
and were asked to stop and you would not stop. 

If you're warned then asked to stop and you keep on I"m sorry but that will happen every time. 

“Bazinga lives in whatever year Dungeons and Dragons takes place”

I must be real old or real slow. I don’t even understand that this is some sort of insult. 
Yeah, I couldn't even figure out why someone would get a warning for that. Absent context, it's essentially saying "bazinga" is an out of date expression? BFD, that's warning worthy? I don't get it. Maybe it was just an arbitrary expression of authority or somehow personal? Or maybe it means something else entirely?

I must be real old or real slow. I don’t even understand that this is some sort of insult. 
Seems to have been some kind of a show of power thing by the mods and not an actual insult.  

Yeah, I couldn't even figure out why someone would get a warning for that. Absent context, it's essentially saying "bazinga" is an out of date expression? BFD, that's warning worthy? I don't get it. Maybe it was just an arbitrary expression of authority or somehow personal? Or maybe it means something else entirely?
Good thing Sheldon Cooper does not post here.

This place is going to be lots less interesting if EG and rock action both move on.  EG has been pretty quiet the last few months anyway but even a little bit of the interesting posters is better than none at all. 
EvilGrin is gone as of yesterday.  :(  

Read about it starting in this series of posts:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/700042-official-black-friday-cyber-monday-and-online-deals-thread/?do=findComment&comment=21576279

I think he was trying to say the poster named Bazinga was a Dungeons and Dragon guy as if that was an insult. For Football stuff in the Shark Pool forum, we try to keep it focused 100% on Football and not on the other posters going back and forth. This had been an issue and he was asked to stop. 

Now we’ve got snarky PMs and random bannings just because, well, screw you if you don’t like it. 

I don't think we have any "random bannings just because". I try to be as clear as I can on what we're doing here and I know not everyone agrees but I don't think anyone is saying "screw you if you don’t like it."

Note for member:

Not cool. You may have deserved a warning, but those need to be delivered in a neutral, professional tone. Whoever wrote that became what they beheld.

I think he was trying to say the poster named Bazinga was a Dungeons and Dragon guy as if that was an insult. For Football stuff in the Shark Pool forum, we try to keep it focused 100% on Football and not on the other posters going back and forth. This had been an issue and he was asked to stop. 
That's 100% reasonable to want to keep the Shark Pool focused on football and not arguing.

Even more so if he had already been warned.

Not cool. You may have deserved a warning, but those need to be delivered in a neutral, professional tone. Whoever wrote that became what they beheld.
I don't disagree, but when you warn someone and they keep doing something... it's a little easier to lose your professionalism.

I don't disagree, but when you warn someone and they keep doing something... it's a little easier to lose your professionalism.
:shrug:

If you're trying to fix the tone of how people address each other here, you need to hold up your end of the deal, every time. If what the mod sent had been a post on this board, I imagine they get a warning, maybe a timeout.

Let’s be real, he was gone as soon as this place turned into Sunday school. Even as he continued to post, the authentic EG was deleted/censored/banned, and then he started to self-censor, then drastically cut down his frequency of posts. Like watching reruns of the Sopranos on Lifetime, with the swear words bleeped out. That’s not EG. Good for him for moving on, honestly. Be in a sane place where adults talk freely, what a concept. 

As I said in the thread yesterday, the fact is he was warned 3 times in 15 years. There was no "deleted/censored/banned". I thought he expressed himself well yesterday where he said he lately has felt he wasn't able to post off-color stuff and "be himself".  As I said, I'm bummed to see him go as I like him but I also fully respect and understand his position there. 

I'm clarifying here but serious. Would you ever speak to a grown man like this in your life? This isn't about moderation. It's about basic respect. And get your "abouts" about right if you're going to do it this way.  

Users who are viewing this thread