What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for specific pairings of words (1 Viewer)

Despyzer

Lousy Attention Whore
I'm hoping to accumulate a list of word-pairs where the only distinction between them is the "short i" and "long e" sounds. For instance, live/leave or grin/green. Whatayagot?

List so far:

• alit/elite
  • bicker/beaker
  • bid/bead
  • bin/bean
  • bit/beat
  • #####/beech
  • chick/cheek
  • chip/cheap
  • chit/cheat
  • did/deed
  • dill/deal
  • dip/deep
  • fickle/fecal
  • fill/feel
  • fist/feast
  • fit/feet
  • gin/jean
  • grid/greed
  • grin/green
  • grit/greet
  • hid/heed
  • hill/heal
  • hip/heap
  • hit/heat
  • kill/keel
  • kin/keen
  • kip/keep (kipper/keeper)
  • lick/leak
  • lip/leap
  • list/least
  • litter/litre
  • live/leave
  • mill/meal
  • mitt/meat
  • nil/kneel
  • nit/neat
  • pick/peek
  • pill/peel
  • pit/peat
  • pitch/peach
  • rich/reach
  • rid/read
  • riff/reef
  • rim/reem
  • rip/reap
  • ship/sheep
  • ####/sheet
  • shill/she'll
  • sick/seek
  • sill/seal
  • sin/seen
  • sip/seep
  • sis/cease
  • sit/seat
  • skim/scheme
  • slick/sleek
  • slip/sleep
  • still/steal
  • till/teal
  • tin/teen
  • ###/teat
  • whip/weep
  • wick/week (wicker/weaker)
  • will/wheel
  • wit/wheat
  • winner/wiener (win/wean)
  • wit/wheat

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are we doing this/these?
But seriously, my joke answer wasn't completely off-base. I work with a lot of people who are speakers of Slavic languages (Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, etc.) on accent reduction, and they have a difficult time with this vowel distinction.

Bicker/beaker 

Wick/week/weak

Wicker/weaker

Chit/cheat

#####/beach

Rid/reed/read

Litter/liter

I'm hoping to accumulate a list of word-pairs where the only distinction between them is the "short i" and "long e" sounds. For instance, live/leave or grin/green. Whatayagot?
Is this for speech therapy purposes or something like that?

"Sir" is not a short /i/ sound, it's considered vocalic /r/. I don't think "sear" is long /e/ either, it's another vocalic /r/ sound I think
I agree with you on "sir," but "sear" rhymes with "ear" - definite long e sound.

I agree with you on "sir," but "sear" rhymes with "ear" - definite long e sound.
The long /e/ is colored by the following /r/, which is why it's not a true long /e/ sound. 

Compare, for example, the words "eat" and "ear".  The vowel sounds are not the same. 

Edited to clarify. It kind of is long /e/ but the /r/ changes it over the duration of the vowel sound. For simplicity though I think it can be classified as long /e/

Hid/Heed

you already have Bit/Beat, but you could add Beet to that as well.  How many triple groups can you come up with?  

Users who are viewing this thread