What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undocumented Immigrant Thread (4 Viewers)

timschochet

Footballguy
Here are the simple facts: President Trump wants 5 billion for building the wall. Democrats have offered 1.5 billion for border security. Democrats have also offered a contiuning resolution and putting off this issue. Trump says he will gladly shut down the government if he does not get what he wants. The shutdown will take place this week. It will only be a partial shutdown but 800,000 federal employees will not be paid. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the simple facts: President Trump wants 5 billion for building the wall. Democrats have offered 1.5 billion for border security. Democrats have also offered a contiuning resolution and putting off this issue. Trump says he will gladly shut down the government if he does not get what he wants. The shutdown will take place this week. It will only be a partial shutdown but 800,000 federal employees will not be paid. 
They will eventually get paid.  It's the federal contractors that won't get paid nor will they get paid for the time it's shut down.

Good point. But if the shutdown takes place and lasts for any amount of time it is trouble for these employees. 
That's true especially this time of year.  This doesn't affect me any longer but the last two I went through the federal employees I worked with openly rooted for a shutdown and called it a free vacation.  It's pretty messed up

As this plays out, keep in mind that last February Dems supported for a bipartisan plan that offered $25 billion for the wall in exchange for a legislative DACA fix and shuffling of enforcement priorities. Trump and the GOP turned it down because it didn't do enough to choke off legal immigration:

Trump’s best chance for border wall funding at the level he wants came in February 2018, when Republican Senator Mike Rounds teamed up with independent Senator Angus King on compromise immigration legislation.

It included $25 billion over a decade to build a wall along the southern border and a path to citizenship for so-called Dreamers who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children. It also barred green card holders from sponsoring adult children for permanent residency and reoriented enforcement priorities to focus on criminals in the country illegally.

Trump torched the bill as a "giant amnesty" for narrowing the scope of deportations, and complained that it didn’t end diversity visas or stop "chain migration" -- his derisive term for laws that allow American citizens to sponsor siblings and parents for green cards.

Amid fierce White House opposition and a veto threat from Trump, just eight Republican senators voted for the bill. With support from Democrats it got 54 votes, but that was short of the 60 needed to advance in the Senate. A separate immigration proposal backed by Trump got just 39 votes.
link

I think Trump will be talked out of letting this happen by someone in his administration much smarter than him.  Keep in mind, Schumer played him during their meeting and baited him into taking full responsibility for the shutting. The optics of having so many Americans without an income at Christmastime while he's golfing in Mar Lago is not going to be a good one.  For once, I think smarter minds will prevail. Politically, a shutdown will be a nightmare for Trump.

I think Trump will be talked out of letting this happen by someone in his administration much smarter than him.  Keep in mind, Schumer played him during their meeting and baited him into taking full responsibility for the shutting. The optics of having so many Americans without an income at Christmastime while he's golfing in Mar Lago is not going to be a good one.  For once, I think smarter minds will prevail. Politically, a shutdown will be a nightmare for Trump.
Jump cut to Baron sitting daddy down to tell him he can't shut down the federal government because he broke one of his toys.

Thing is...he wants what, 5 billion?  Dems offered 1.5?

He will back down and maybe get that 1.5...maybe they even up it to 2bil...and Trump will claim big victory.  Maybe after shutting down for a day so he can blame the dems and ignore that he said it would be him shutting it down.  And many of his supporters will claim he totally owned the libs.

Not sure I agree. Trump wants the media to spend more time talking about the shutdown to distract them from his legal and political problems regarding Mueller's probe and indictment talk.

Not sure I agree. Trump wants the media to spend more time talking about the shutdown to distract them from his legal and political problems regarding Mueller's probe and indictment talk.
While that's definitely true, he might want to stay off the golf course or that will be what the media talks about.

So Congress is passing a CR. And Trump is folding. Amazingly, without any sense of hypocrisy, Kellyanne Conway attacked the media this morning and said “all you guys want to talk about is wall wall wall. It’s border security!” Lol. Meanwhile Trump tweeted that Mexico will pay for the wall through the new NAFTA deal. 

There’s not going to be a wall. 

Why don`t they sell advertising on the wall to pay for it like baseball stadium walls and hockey boards?

The next 10 miles of border wall are sponsored by Amazon Prime and so forth.

Why don`t they sell advertising on the wall to pay for it like baseball stadium walls and hockey boards?

Another brick in the wall brought to you by Pink Floyd.

Because lack of money is only an excuse. The real reason the wall won’t be built is because most politicians, both Democrat and Republican, know that it’s a terrible idea. It’s jusr that, mostly on the Republican side, they’re afraid to tell you that. 

So Congress is passing a CR. And Trump is folding. Amazingly, without any sense of hypocrisy, Kellyanne Conway attacked the media this morning and said “all you guys want to talk about is wall wall wall. It’s border security!” Lol. Meanwhile Trump tweeted that Mexico will pay for the wall through the new NAFTA deal. 

Or like Sarah Sanders said yesterday they will get the money elsewhere by going through the seat cushions of various other agencies.

Nope, any tiny chance he had evaporates on Friday.  Zero chance once the new blue congress gets together in January.

I was listening to a republican (here in MI, can’t remember who) on npr who was talking about different options to fund the wall. The one he mentioned was, as he put it, a “buy a brick” idea where anyone who wanted to fund the wall could- us citizens, corporations, he even said they could model the site to take pesos as well so if anyone in Mexico wanted to donate.....god this is going to bother me, I’ll see if I can dig it up when I get out of work and figure out who said this carp.

This has been brought up a while back, but I think it bears repeating:

There's a good chance Trump doesn't actually want the wall. Because he needs it as a talking point.

Let's say the wall gets built. Southern border is secure! What does Trump have left to complain about? The NFL?

He needs this issue to be an issue, at the very least through 2020.

He just showed us his hand in the midterms with the caravan spectacle. This is the only card he has.

I suggested in another thread those commemorative bricks with your name and a message.  Those always sell like hotcakes.

There's a good chance Trump doesn't actually want the wall. Because he needs it as a talking point.

Let's say the wall gets built. Southern border is secure! What does Trump have left to complain about? The NFL?

He just showed us his hand in the midterms with the caravan spectacle. This is the only card he has.
Good point- especially if the economy trends down as expected.

I was listening to the 538 podcast on Monday and they talked about the wall. They said that an actual wall is super unpopular. And they could not understand why Trump keeps pushing it - especially when he's already metaphorically built a wall by cutting back immigration so significantly. They think his supporters are fine with the moves he's already taken and don't need him to actually build a wall.

Same as the "Ill release the FISA" stuff.  He wants the talking point/narrative and nothing more.  Something to rally the base around when things look bad elsewhere.

I was listening to the 538 podcast on Monday and they talked about the wall. They said that an actual wall is super unpopular. And they could not understand why Trump keeps pushing it - especially when he's already metaphorically built a wall by cutting back immigration so significantly. They think his supporters are fine with the moves he's already taken and don't need him to actually build a wall.
It's plain and simple. It was his loudest rally cry during the campaign. And it still gets the red-hats fired up at his rallies. He hates admitting to failure. That's why he never does, even when he fails miserably.  This wall nonsense has been thrown in everyone's face for three years now. Complete with lie transformation of Mexico is paying to they're still kind of paying for it.  It's impossible for Trump to walk this back or pretend he was misquoted. The wall is a humungous failure on his biggest promise. And that's after already being slapped in the nose and failing on healthcare reform.

It's plain and simple. It was his loudest rally cry during the campaign. And it still gets the red-hats fired up at his rallies. He hates admitting to failure. That's why he never does, even when he fails miserably.  This wall nonsense has been thrown in everyone's face for three years now. Complete with lie transformation of Mexico is paying to they're still kind of paying for it.  It's impossible for Trump to walk this back or pretend he was misquoted. The wall is a humungous failure on his biggest promise. And that's after already being slapped in the nose and failing on healthcare reform.
His two biggest campaign promises are yet to be delivered, although not entirely his fault.  1) Building the wall and 2) Locking her up.  

Who in the hell would be the target demographic on that one?

His two biggest campaign promises are yet to be delivered, although not entirely his fault.  1) Building the wall and 2) Locking her up.  
It is entirely his fault that he promised something (the wall) that he had virtually no control over. (And, it's entirely his supporters' fault for believing him and for continuing to believe him after 2 years of inaction.)

Actually, the Hillary thing is definitely his fault because Republicans control the Justice Department and he could have easily pushed them to indict Hillary or at least re-re-re-re-investigate her. But he never said a peep. In fact, he tacitly agreed that her actions were not criminal -- based on the fact that he pardoned the sailor who also put classified info at risk, based on the fact that he downplayed his daughter's similar email scandal, and based on his own refusal to use a secure phone. He knows that if he orders the Justice Department to go after Hillary, then a similar fate could befall him or his daughter. So he quietly lets it go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think these are going to happen?  They didn't happen with the GOP controlled everything, now they don't control everything and he has to deal with the Dems.  What do you put his chances for delivery at?

Do you think these are going to happen?  They didn't happen with the GOP controlled everything, now they don't control everything and he has to deal with the Dems.  What do you put his chances for delivery at?
Very low thanks mainly to the non-cooperation of Congress to help get the wall accomplished.  Same with Obamacare repeal.

because then you couldn't see through it and you'd get hit in the head with bags of drugs being thrown over the wall.   plus it would ruin the aesthetics.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 18h18 hours ago

The Democrats, are saying loud and clear that they do not want to build a Concrete Wall - but we are not building a Concrete Wall, we are building artistically designed steel slats, so that you can easily see through it....

Users who are viewing this thread